test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CERN Discovery

kanecabalkanecabal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2012 in Ten Forward
Hey guys,

I know this has barely something to do with Star Trek Online, but more with Star Trek itself because it covers physics. We all know that there is the LHC, Large Hadron Collider, in Switzerland. As of today the scientists have discovered a new particle interpreting as the Higgs Boson, the God particle.

Might this be the beginning of a new revolutionary way of living? What I am getting is when we can create matter with energy, we all could have replicators :D.

Opinions? :)
Lifetime - Joined 2008 - U.S.S. Kilimanjaro - Inner Circle
Post edited by kanecabal on

Comments

• hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited July 2012
    It's a good sounding find. From what I read, it sounded like they know they found *something* in the energy range they wanted. They'll have to do a lot of followup studies to figure out if it really has the expected properties. It's at the center of a lot of theories, so it'd be interesting what they find out.

And on a side note about the name, I heard it was actually called the God *bleeped* Particle, but they changed it for the press. No greater meaning was meant to be implied. :P
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not a scientist by any means so in truth I have no idea but I doubt there will be much practical use in the near short term. I don't think any of our lives are going to be radically different because of it. It could have untold future applications but who knows when or what they could be.

It's not like we discovered it today out of the blue and can immediately harness it for some greater good. they have theorized about it for 40 odd years as the science suggested it was there, we just could not see it. today they have the equipment to prove it (or at the least something very similar) is there.

Again short term I'm not sure what that changes but its one more step to understanding the universe and it may lead to new devices and equipment over the next 10, 20 or 30 years etc.
  • obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What Captain Revo said pretty much. I agree.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cold fusion part 2 maybe? Followed by give us more money requests? :)

Interesting: When I google that to check the spelling, I get a bunch of Jan Sport back backs.
  • mizaronemizarone Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually what CERN announced is that they have a 5-sigma probability that they have discovered a new particle at 125 GeV and it is likely that its the Higgs boson. 5-sigma means that there's a 99.99955% chance that its actually something and not some random noise.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Waste of money.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A waste? Mankind's understanding of quantum effects is what allows the very microchips that power the computer that you are using right now--if we didn't understand quantum-level interactions, then computers would be stuck at the 1970 level with transistors and other wired components instead of a billion of them crammed into a space the size of a postage stamp.

Now that the Higgs boson has been confirmed to exist, we can further refine our models of physics to identify previously-unforseen effects. Who knows, we might find something that allows for warp drive, or neutron-free nuclear fusion power.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is all very exciting news, I for one can't wait for the results and the possibilities this could show us. This will defiantly increase our understanding of our universe. :D The annoying thing is I'm re learn science this year, Physics, Chemistry and Biology because I want to get a job as an aerospace engineer and I am thinking it is worth doing it no or to wait. Also here in the UK they are thinking of bring back O levels, also I need to do A levels. With the cern thing happen will they need to change the text books etc?
    edited July 2012
    Now that the Higgs boson has been confirmed to exist, we can further refine our models of physics to identify previously-unforseen effects. Who knows, we might find something that allows for warp drive, or neutron-free nuclear fusion power.

If you want exciting stuff like that to happen, you should hope this new particle *isn't* the Higgs. All identifying it is gonna do is verify that already well-explored models are correct. If those models were wrong though, it'd be much more interesting.
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The big thing about the 'discovery' is not that there are practical implications for our every day life. None of the scientists claimed that.

What makes this discovery so important is that it proves that our entire outlook on the world and physics for the last 50 years was actually right. It's a prove that quantum physics are not just a random theory but reality.

Unless, of course, this particle turns out not to be the Higgs Boson. Than all hell might break loose. ;)

And it's true, BTW: The particle is not supposed to be called the "God Particle". One scientist wanted to publish a book with the title "The ******n Particle" because the Higgs Boson was so elusive and hard to find/verify. The publisher changed it to "The God Particle" without the scientists consent. The name stuck with the media, sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
    edited July 2012
    A waste? Mankind's understanding of quantum effects is what allows the very microchips that power the computer that you are using right now--if we didn't understand quantum-level interactions, then computers would be stuck at the 1970 level with transistors and other wired components instead of a billion of them crammed into a space the size of a postage stamp.

The problem lies in the fact it takes a machine the size of a city to find this particle and not very effectively. How long before we ever see anything practical or sustainable out of this? IMO, the way the world is now, this current generations grandchildren will be long dead before it happens. Call it the pessimist in me, but that?s not fast enough.
    edited July 2012
    The problem lies in the fact it takes a machine the size of a city to find this particle and not very effectively.

I think I see your point. There is plenty of knowledge to be learned yet with much smaller scale projects. These large colliders seem to be more for show than effect. But then... it's probably one of the better ways for a government to show off. They used to just build pyramids. ;)
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This discovery is going to result in one of four outcomes:

1. We find new energy sources and hopefully make our way to a more Trekian future, filled with all the Starships, Romulan Ale, and Orion women a Trekkie could want.
    2. We find new energy sources that end up being abused and probably doing to our planet what Nero did to Vulcan.
    3. Nothing will change.
    4. Either outcome one or two will begin to occur, but Q or a similar being will intervene and change reality to result in outcome three.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    5. We get a new iPhone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • sosolidshoesosolidshoe Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hortwort wrote: »
    If you want exciting stuff like that to happen, you should hope this new particle *isn't* the Higgs. All identifying it is gonna do is verify that already well-explored models are correct. If those models were wrong though, it'd be much more interesting.

Rubbish. People say the same thing every time there's a breakthrough in physics, and every single time we've gone on to something even cooler and more bizarre, it's the height of arrogance to think we can decipher the totality of the mechanics of the universe in a couple of centuries, we're not that clever - and I say that as a physicist.

Understanding the Higgs field will take another century at least, but imagine what we could do if we could manipulate it; we could alter the mass of matter, we could even achieve matter-energy conversion(replicators, anyone?). In truth, we don't have a scooby what this discovery could do for us, or what new weird and wonderful domains it could open for us to explore; who saw the internet coming? The personal computer? Could Young back in 1803 have foreseen that his work, filtered through the minds of countless other scientists, would eventually lead us to graphene circuits, quantum levitation, laser-based communication systems; or that it would lead us down the path to M-Theory via special relativity and quantum electrodynamics?

No, we have a long way to go yet m'friend, and I'm glad I'm part of it.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    edited July 2012
    Rubbish. People say the same thing every time there's a breakthrough in physics

People always say they hope the theory is incomplete so there will be more discoveries? This is the arrogant position? I ... think I must have just chosen my words poorly. :confused:
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The problem lies in the fact it takes a machine the size of a city to find this particle and not very effectively. How long before we ever see anything practical or sustainable out of this? IMO, the way the world is now, this current generations grandchildren will be long dead before it happens. Call it the pessimist in me, but that?s not fast enough.

lol
    So, because YOU'LL never see it, it's a waste.
    Even if the LHC leads to advances that change our civilization, just that you won't be around to see them...
    I still call that a win.
    :rolleyes:

On that note...
    SCIENCE!!

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Understanding the Higgs field will take another century at least, but imagine what we could do if we could manipulate it; we could alter the mass of matter, we could even achieve matter-energy conversion(replicators, anyone?). In truth, we don't have a scooby what this discovery could do for us, or what new weird and wonderful domains it could open for us to explore; who saw the internet coming? The personal computer? Could Young back in 1803 have foreseen that his work, filtered through the minds of countless other scientists, would eventually lead us to graphene circuits, quantum levitation, laser-based communication systems; or that it would lead us down the path to M-Theory via special relativity and quantum electrodynamics?

No, we have a long way to go yet m'friend, and I'm glad I'm part of it.

210 years ago, Michael Faraday showed off his newest invention, the DC electric motor, to the Royal Society. They asked him what use it was. His reply: "What use is a newborn baby?"
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    210 years ago, Michael Faraday showed off his newest invention, the DC electric motor, to the Royal Society. They asked him what use it was. His reply: "What use is a newborn baby?"

Door stop, foot stool, basketball, A new body to graft your conciousness in, food, source of stem cells, alarm clock, etc.....
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cold fusion
    The transported man
    Various perpetual motion machines

this "magic trick" needs investigating and those involved need investigating

Matter is MATTER
    its Real and solid and not made up of tiny pieces of chewing gum

So I will not believe this until its proven by scientists paid NOT to find it
    Live long and Prosper
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Cold fusion
    The transported man
    Various perpetual motion machines

this "magic trick" needs investigating and those involved need investigating

Matter is MATTER

So I will not believe this until its proven by scientists paid NOT to find it

This must be a troll, surely, nobody can be this thick. Do you know what all the claims to have succeeded at cold fusion or perpetual motion have in common? They weren't made by scientists, and they weren't considered credible by scientists. I mean seriously, if there's some kind of giant conspiracy among physicists, we're doing it wrong, because I'm certainly not being paid enough for my silence :rolleyes:

hortwort wrote: »
    People always say they hope the theory is incomplete so there will be more discoveries? This is the arrogant position? I ... think I must have just chosen my words poorly. :confused:

No, I meant that it is arrogant to think that simply because we have made one discovery which confirms the standard model, the standard model is complete and all that's left is to "tidy up". We still don't even have an idea how to test a lot of the more hypothetical ideas which have arisen as a result of quantum mechanics, and it'll be a long long long time before we have the technology to build a subatomic-particle smasher powerful enough to see if we really have reached the limit of the very-small.

As to your wording, it's probable I misunderstood and used language that was a bit strong, apologies.

We are PWE. Your forums and game accounts will be added to our own. Your community will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
    edited July 2012
    This must be a troll, surely, nobody can be this thick

says someone who believes in MAGIC????

in particles so tiny they are undetectable by real means??
    in "mindstuff" that makes us all nul??
    Do you know what all the claims to have succeeded at cold fusion or perpetual motion have in common?

yep like this they were unproven and made by Greedy men who claimed to be scientists
    They weren't made by scientists, and they weren't considered credible by scientists.

you must be VERY young
    not to remember the scientists falling over themselves to embrace cold fusion
    I mean seriously, if there's some kind of giant conspiracy among physicists, we're doing it wrong, because I'm certainly not being paid enough for my silence

Physicists are paid to be ignorant by numbers the more ignorant the more money
    and this whole experiment was stupidly expensive , stupidly dangerous and generally stupid
    Never forget that "scientists" have destroyed whole cities before now.
    Sometimes its not "can we" but "should we"

WHEN someone suggests weaponising this discovery maybe you will understand

however a "god particle" disproves the existance of life and matter ergo it can not be real
    its impossible
    if it existed none of us would be alive or human we would be transitory wave forms existing only as a mathmatical fault

this "experiment" is over
    and should be closed down while its investigated by men paid NOT to find this particle
    meanwhile the money wasted on this stupidity could have fed the starving , cured the sick or kept the cold warm
    instead of trying to kill God and end the cosmos

I admit my own area of expertise is explosives and Engineering
    But I do know that if you blow things up you get smaller bits (and those are still MATTER)
    And that scientists get rich based on dumb ideas
    Live long and Prosper
    edited July 2012
    -snip-

What....who....come again? I don't know how anyone could....

Wait, nevermind, all is clear now. We're done here, enjoy spouting nonsense and playing a computer game using technology which wouldn't have been possible without the things you say are impossible :D

• disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited July 2012

says someone who believes in MAGIC????

in particles so tiny they are undetectable by real means??
    in "mindstuff" that makes us all nul??

yep like this they were unproven and made by Greedy men who claimed to be scientists

you must be VERY young
    not to remember the scientists falling over themselves to embrace cold fusion

Physicists are paid to be ignorant by numbers the more ignorant the more money
    and this whole experiment was stupidly expensive , stupidly dangerous and generally stupid
    Never forget that "scientists" have destroyed whole cities before now.
    Sometimes its not "can we" but "should we"

WHEN someone suggests weaponising this discovery maybe you will understand

however a "god particle" disproves the existance of life and matter ergo it can not be real
    its impossible
    if it existed none of us would be alive or human we would be transitory wave forms existing only as a mathmatical fault

this "experiment" is over
    and should be closed down while its investigated by men paid NOT to find this particle
    meanwhile the money wasted on this stupidity could have fed the starving , cured the sick or kept the cold warm
    instead of trying to kill God and end the cosmos

But I do know that if you blow things up you get smaller bits (and those are still MATTER)
    And that scientists get rich based on dumb ideas

wat?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0yQbrY9Pw
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
    edited July 2012
    Nothing here requires "mindstuff" particles

the universe the REAL one and the Game both rely on things being REAL

not made up out of stuff too small to be proven and detectable only by a computer program PROGRAMMED to see it regardless of if its there or not

you claim to be a scientist
    well that means you should believe NOTHING until its proven by a THIRD test in a THIRD location

as this is not even claimed by a reliable Second source its bogus and I do not trust it

Especially as you pulled out the "Troll card" (which means you are unable to argue based on proven facts like for example "matter exists" and "the Universe is real")
    so yes STOP

and cern should stop too before they waste more money or blow up half of europe
    Live long and Prosper
  • kassad2kassad2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Do you know WHY it is that large? Do you even know WHAT it actually does? Of course you don't. Yet you critizise something you can't even begin to understand...lol.

It's the people that add to the compendium of human knowledge that make it possible for the rest of us to even have a future. With each generation they build on the knowledge of those that came before them, advancing human civilization and making it easier for those too selfish or dim-witted to otherwise survive to continue to grace our species with their presence. They in turn contribute by producing more selfish dimwits. And it is those dimwits and the prospect that they could take over that drives those with a thirst for knowledge to go to school and build city sized colliders, etc.. Thus the wheel of life is complete. :P
  • aquilamontesaquilamontes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I am not a scientist, but I recognize the need to learn more things about world we live in.

I am not an engineer, but I recognize the need to build, and to avoid unnecessary destruction.

I am not a priest, but I recognize the need for goodwill.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2012

so we ARE organians then?? :D
    not made up out of stuff too small to be proven and detectable only by a computer program PROGRAMMED to see it regardless of if its there or not

thats not necessarily true. thats like going back a few hundred years and saying there is no such thing as a virus or bacteria because nobody had invented anything that could be used to see them yet
    Matter is MATTER

erm..... you know that matter really isn't all that solid right?
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    >sollvax< why is anyone even bothering to answer him? his statements have already made him out to be someone who doesn't have a clue.

nice discovery, cost enough (including hawking's $100 for a lost bet)>.> while all it really does is help confirm the standard model...which was getting along fine without the evidence. will it be useful? considering the cost? perhaps if there's something else discovered because of that discovery...but by itself it's useless except to those that wanted confirmation.

so, nice for the scientists, theorists, etc...but in practical terms...how does that help or apply to anyone else? mayhap i'm too logical >.> cost of discovery vs usefulness of discovery
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
    edited July 2012
    kassad2 wrote: »
    Do you know WHY it is that large? Do you even know WHAT it actually does? Of course you don't. Yet you critizise something you can't even begin to understand...lol.

It's the people that add to the compendium of human knowledge that make it possible for the rest of us to even have a future. With each generation they build on the knowledge of those that came before them, advancing human civilization and making it easier for those too selfish or dim-witted to otherwise survive to continue to grace our species with their presence. They in turn contribute by producing more selfish dimwits. And it is those dimwits and the prospect that they could take over that drives those with a thirst for knowledge to go to school and build city sized colliders, etc.. Thus the wheel of life is complete. :P

Something along the lines of getting the particles they're flinging around using magnets to get it up to near the speed of light and colliding them together to see what the result causes and see what could be made out of doing this to discover the secrets of the universe? No, I don't understand it 100%, I'm sure it does more than that. But the fact still remains that it solves nothing immediate or near future and is still hypothetical if we can ever use it for anything.

BTW man, please keep this civil. Name calling to people who disagree with what's being done doesn't help your argument. I want the world to keep learning like all of you here. But I think we can do something more pracitcal with it. But that's going to lead into a discussion that I'm sure is against the TOS of the forums and I'm not going into that.