test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leveling is too fast and new players have short learning curve.

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012

This Star Trek world is not part of that world. Clearly you haven't the read history of the game.

and your point on that is??? I'm thinking his comment was to be taking jokingly .
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    seanftd wrote: »
    and your point on that is??? I'm thinking his comment was to be taking jokingly .

I was joking too... lol forgot to "lol"

Also name another scene where someone promoted up many ranks in a normal day of time.
  • jayorzjayorz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been playing this game for about a week, and I'm already an admiral! For me reaching max level has never been a priority : I *like* gradually developing a character and getting into the feel of my character and the setting. Raiding etc. doesn't interest me in the slightest, I find it too stressful.

All it would take is an optional 'freeze levelling' option (like on WoW) that would freeze your skill point awards, or a speed slider that let you choose to half/tenth your sp awards. Players who like fast levelling could just leave it the same. Everybody happy, and I can't see it taking much programming.

Yeah, I know, they'll never do it. But for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) this is a key issue : I create new characters to enjoy the process of levelling, not to race to maximum at warp frickin' 10. So I probably won't bother to create more characters past my current one (and maybe a Klingon), so I'll be done in a few weeks.
  • admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Zombies...
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fast leveling is to hide the lack of content.
    Fast leveling happens in lots of f2p mmo up to a certain lvl , Cryptic just forgot to increase the xp needed for each lvl .

As for the other points , i remember in each mmo that i have played there are always those that know "what they are doing " and dont want to learn from any1 , ppl who go in to Cure elite and after everi single one says " dont kill the cube " he destroys it and epic mission fail .

Players like that will never learn . and no matter how log they will play , they are playing to get to high levels , ***** n the forums about the things they find hard ( because there is no possibility they doing it wrong ) , and after they play a while at high lvl and see things are not the same as at low lvls , they grief other players , and leave the game after a few months.

Cryptic is in the buisness of making money , doing that they need to attract players, wich mean making the game easy for everyone , spcialy those that never played mmos like most star trek fans . By doing that they hurth the experienced players .

And then you get things nerfed to compensate like : sector flight speed , running speed ...
    To make you spend more time ingame and give you the illusion it takes you a long time to lvl , again hurting all the player base .

Sorry if this sounds like a rant , its not meant to be , only stating facts .
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sto Gamers: LEVELLING IS TOO DAMN SLOW!!!!!!!!!!
    *cryptic speeds it up*
    Sto Gamers: LEVELLING IS TOO DAMN FAST!!!!!!!!!!!
    *cryptic foreveralone*
  • xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Increasing the leveling curve would in no way increase enjoyment or the quality of player. It would increase monotony, and that's it.
    edited July 2012
    xantris wrote: »
    Increasing the leveling curve would in no way increase enjoyment or the quality of player. It would increase monotony, and that's it.

At least the fast leveling means that the "PWRLVL MEH PLZ" spam is nigh non-existent.
    cormoran wrote: »
    Sto Gamers: LEVELLING IS TOO DAMN SLOW!!!!!!!!!!
    *cryptic speeds it up*
    Sto Gamers: LEVELLING IS TOO DAMN FAST!!!!!!!!!!!
    *cryptic foreveralone*

I think Cryptic are getting better at ignoring the "Mommy! Mom! Mooommmmyyy!" myself.
    <3
  • mirgondmirgond Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any MMORPG has the problem with leveling and I doubt you'll see a game soon which has the same feeling for leveling as a true RPG has a.k.a. Pen and Paper, where it's all about leveling and the adventures while you do it.

Most MMORPG should just get rid of the RPG in their name, that would be more honest.
    Seriously, how many people really roleplay their character all the time in STO?
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    took me 3 days to hit lvl 50 and investing in new gear every time i ranked up seemed a complete waste of time and money making about 90% of the gear in game compleately pointless and dont even get me started on that "starter pack" they STILL have on the C-Store... i laugh at anyone who actually bought that thing.

but to be fairly honest there is no real learning curve for this game, its probably the easiest thing out there atm next to some bog standard point click and hit the guy till he dies before you do kinda gmae like the game that shall not be named.

leveling needs to be slowed down 10 fold, as at the moment the entire universe is filled with more rear admirals than there are redshirts.....
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I levelled my Klink via Doffing. You don't learn many battle skills that way.:P
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think the problem with MMO's these days is that way too much emphasis is placed on endgame content, rather than the journey of getting there.

Thats what i like with some other MMO's like ********* that is not all about the endgame content, but having fun at any level with LOTS of content for everyone.
    Even lower level content is at times scaled to give extra rewards and benefits for high level players.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    edited July 2012
    I think the problem with MMO's these days is that way too much emphasis is placed on endgame content, rather than the journey of getting there.

Which has a lot to do with the players. There's a good deal of impatient "GIMME NOW" mentality in gaming.

People cheat/hack their way to max levels so they can PWN DRAGNZ in Skyrim . . . and that's a single-player game. Personally, I prefer to get all the fun I can out of content and storylines if I'm playing an RPG. Especially one that costs $40.

If I just want to blast things I'll fire up a FPS or UT2k4.

Thats what i like with some other MMO's like ********* that is not all about the endgame content, but having fun at any level with LOTS of content for everyone.
    Even lower level content is at times scaled to give extra rewards and benefits for high level players.

The few MMOs that have long leveling curves are not popular because they have long leveling curves. If you want your game to flop, make the leveling a prolonged ordeal.
  • kassad2kassad2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Different games appeal to different audiences. This is not a particularly "deep" game. There isn't much to learn that you can't pick up with some light reading and a little practice.

Given the demographics of today's online gamer, it is much closer to what appeals to the masses, including the leveling time. Today's gamer doesn't want depth or a long leveling curve. The former requires to use of one's intellect, the later requires patience. The majority of today's gamers have little of either. Not a slam, just a simple fact.

When the driving force behind your game play is, to quote "kill, loot, rinse, repeat", you are not interested in depth, you just want to be rewarded with the gamer equivalent of doggie treats. The devs would love to create intricate worlds and scenarios, but not enough people are willing to pay for it. So you get the "level in a week" scenario we have here. KOTOR online is the same, as are practically all new MMOs.

So, you can complain all you want about leveling, but it isn't going to change. Or, you can simply mind your own business, stop worry about how fast someone else levels, and enjoy the game your way and let them do the same. I personally gave up on the whole thing long ago and am much happier for it. YMMV