• dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I refuse to say Goodbye in case it leads to another Dev leaving :(

:waves: :frown:

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's always sad/frightening when you hear of a dev going, but I assure you, this is how the industry is. The game industry has a HUGE amount of turnover compared to most others. At 7 years in one place, Heretic (and I) was like 140 in Dev years. Most people change companies in the 2-5 year time range. I guarantee this happens at every company that makes every game you play. The only difference is that we are in closer contact. You know our names, so it feels worse when we leave.

I'm not looking forward to Dan going, much as I was sad when Heretic left. But losing the two of them is not the end of the world, or even the end of the game. In fact, there was a new designer that started this morning.

:::goes off to hug Dan:::

I tied Logan's shoe laces together, and slashed Heretic's tires. . . what should I do to keep Dan around. . . ?

There is a new Designer at Cryptic? Make sure he stops by the forums so everyone can be mean to him and he learns to never post here. That's usually how it goes.
  • pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    still a lot of openings for STO on CS website, if i lived nearer id definately apply :tongue:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What I really want to know is, who's left?

I'm starting to have visions, between this and the inevitable internal reassignments to newer, more important and potentially profitable games (*cough* Neverwinter), of the STO team soon being down to the guy who reboots the servers every morning. New content, new features, bug fixes? hahahaha.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm not looking forward to Dan going, much as I was sad when Heretic left. But losing the two of them is not the end of the world, or even the end of the game. In fact, there was a new designer that started this morning.

I tied Logan's shoe laces together, and slashed Heretic's tires. . . what should I do to keep Dan around. . . ?

Hold on so Dan Stahl is going as well as Gozer!

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    No... there are more Dan's than just Stahls. And this one is Gozerish.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well... it isn't the end of the world. Good luck Gozer.
  • worilworil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This should at least have the reduction of captured NPCs in Infected Ground by one as consequence. :wink:

Good luck and all the best for the future, Goozer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    It's always sad/frightening when you hear of a dev going, but I assure you, this is how the industry is. The game industry has a HUGE amount of turnover compared to most others. At 7 years in one place, Heretic (and I) was like 140 in Dev years. Most people change companies in the 2-5 year time range. I guarantee this happens at every company that makes every game you play. The only difference is that we are in closer contact. You know our names, so it feels worse when we leave.

Tell him to look into why @Breakout character Duggan in our Fleet has run over 500+ STFs (most on elite, both ground and space), has all the accolades (and get get BOTH versions of the MK XII Armor costume) and yet hasn't gotten ONE Prototype Tech item. Not one. No MK XII ground armor, ground shield, ground weapon. No MK XII Space Engine, Deflector, Shield.

Be a nice parting gift if he could see if the character's bugged.

Thanks!
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If the new dev has any sense whatsoever, he will avoid the forums at all costs. The kind of abuse some users dish out at the slightest perceived insult is astonishing.

It's the kind of nonsense that would get you punched in the face where I'm from if you did it in person.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
  • genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Yes, but Cryptic is a small studio and these are very talented people. I think about when several talented people left Blizzard to go do this project or that mmo and I see what Blizzard was left with, how Diablo III turned out, the many mistakes Blizzard has made recently and I can't help but think it's a direct result of so many talented people leaving.

Here's to hoping more talent doesn't abandon Cryptic.
    edited June 2012
    Takes thick skin and a lot of hand grenades to be a public figure. Good advice shakey.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I will confine myself to saying the news over the past two weeks has not buoyed my spirits with confidence in STO's prospects.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe they're leaving because they're tired of getting so much TRIBBLE on the forums?

Oh yeah, blame the players :rolleyes: this has nothing to do with us

It has nothing to do with the forums

I'll repeat myself yet again: Three people leaving in as many weeks and quoting vague reasons screams jumping ship. Clearly the devs don't exactly like the direction they see the game and their jobs going in. I can't say it makes me feel any more secure about the life expectancy of this game
    when dan left people said it was pw pushing him out, or he was leaving a sinking ship yet 2 months later he comes back. goz himself has already left once before and come back. he said its got nothing to do with pw, sto or pvp. so why do people never believe them even though half the times its proven they are telling the truth when they return.

Dan was jumping ship because he didn't want to get blamed for the disaster that was the not too far off season release. As for the others, I will repeat myself yet again: Three devs in as many weeks is NOT a coincidence. Don't tell me that has nothing to do with the employer
    you cant assume its a sign of anything just because people move on in their lives.

Nobody is assuming anything. Three people leaving in as many weeks is not a coincidence. Do you really think they're going to say anything bad about their employer when trying to get another job?
    I have to agree that devs moving on are not a death nail

Three people jumping ship in three weeks doesn't speak well for the future of the game. People don't do that for no reason
    Please don't post here with sensible options. He can't be leaving for any other reason than pwe. It's all their fault!!!!

Drop the sarcasm. Actually think about this. Three people left in three weeks, that does not happen for no reason. Not to mention the market isn't exactly saturated with those kinds of jobs these days
    I'm pretty sure Cryptic has well over 30 Devs of workfoce

Thats not what several devs have implied over the last two years. First it was 'less than the people working a shift at the local starbucks' then it was 'we doubled that' Well it goes without saying, that isn't 30 people
    It's always sad/frightening when you hear of a dev going, but I assure you, this is how the industry is. The game industry has a HUGE amount of turnover compared to most others

Seriously, stop right there. Claiming that 3 people jumping ship in 3 weeks is normal is absurd. Especially in this economy. There is a reason behind it. Too big of a coincidence to claim they all up and decided to quit at virtually the same time. Jumping ship is jumping ship no matter how you spin it
    I thank the departing devs for producing the stuff I like in game and "Happy Landings."

When I read that it sounded like someone was getting pushed out a window :tongue:
    But a great deal of employment over here is under "at will" terms, unless the person is in an occupation that's heavily unionized. That means the company can terminate me at any time for any reason

In theory. In actual practice it never ever holds up if the person getting fired makes an issue of it. Technically a company has to tell you the reason. It has to be a legitimate reason and they do have to put it in writing on request, and be able to provide evidence of some kind on request if the reason has something to do with your actions. Because they have to prove that their reason is legal and is not in some way discrimination. If they refuse to do any of those things they've pretty much painted a 'sue me' target on their back.
    I'm actually kind of amazed at the number of developers/producers who've been with this game since (before) it launched. Including the several (3?) who left and subsequently returned.

Wait till it officially becomes 'the sixpack'
    It's easy to be doom-and-gloom, but if it were that bad, there'd be more than two people leaving. A lot more.

Alot more than three leaving in three weeks? Its not just the number, its the time frame. if 10 people leave a company over the course of a few years thats normal. if the same number left in a few weeks that would be a red flag.
    If the new dev has any sense whatsoever, he will avoid the forums at all costs. The kind of abuse some users dish out at the slightest perceived insult is astonishing.

Blaming the players eh :rolleyes: that particular road runs both ways. Why don't you take a look around and see how many times people have been misled and flat out lied to.
    It's the kind of nonsense that would get you punched in the face where I'm from if you did it in person

I somehow doubt that
    edited June 2012
    Wow you're really committed to this aren't you?

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=3263612&trk=jobs_biz_pub

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsupertrekguymrsupertrekguy Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, looks like the PvP revamps that Gozer promised are a thing of the past. I'm just hoping that more devs won't leave and STO becomes a thing of the past.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    If folks have to go, then they go...that is life. Working in the Video game industry is no frakkin' picnic *and that depends on the place you work at*. Never was...

Gozer, whereever and whatever you place your sights on...may it bring the fulliment and joy that you need.

Peace.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • captainowen1captainowen1 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Gozer!!!!!!!! :(

Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet. Straan@captainowen1. USS Potemkin
    NX-978532-A. Tra-Lan in the VKF. "the green dude"

I survived the forum massacre of 2012! Join date: Feb 2012
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'll repeat myself yet again: Three people leaving in as many weeks and quoting vague reasons screams jumping ship. Clearly the devs don't exactly like the direction they see the game and their jobs going in. I can't say it makes me feel any more secure about the life expectancy of this game

Heretic, Gozer... who's the third?
    jfsig02.png
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This isn't good news. I sense a dark cloud in the horizon...
    Its been my belief since a lot of stuff started happening the past month or so that PWE is killing cryptic. They are just waiting for NWN to get completed then they'll take full control and run it like another one of their cheap knock off games.
    Coming soon to STO, as mandated by PWE - mandatory 4000 Zen elf ears and wings, addition of terms like "magic" and "mana", seckills in social maps, and all loot stuck in lockboxes! ;P
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • console1console1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    poison wrote: »
    Heretic, Gozer... who's the third?

Captain Logan, STO's ship designer I think. He left not to long ago if I'm not mistaken.
  • chinpoukchinpouk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Best wishes to him and his future endeavours.
  • vminkvmink Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    console1 wrote: »
    Captain Logan, STO's ship designer I think. He left not to long ago if I'm not mistaken.

Can't be Logan -- Logan left months ago, about the time the Odyssey was introduced.
    ---
    Gowron Simmons is pleased to see you, yes!
  • console1console1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    vmink wrote: »
    Can't be Logan -- Logan left months ago, about the time the Odyssey was introduced.

Maybe not, he is just the only other one I could think of that left somewhat recently.
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited June 2012
    My momma always said..."If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Gozer, I wish you well. Thank you for your contributions to this computer game that I enjoy playing.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I

You're going to have to cross the streams.
  • utioutio Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh yeah, blame the players :rolleyes: this has nothing to do with us

It has nothing to do with the forums

Dan was jumping ship because he didn't want to get blamed for the disaster that was the not too far off season release. As for the others, I will repeat myself yet again: Three devs in as many weeks is NOT a coincidence. Don't tell me that has nothing to do with the employer

Nobody is assuming anything. Three people leaving in as many weeks is not a coincidence. Do you really think they're going to say anything bad about their employer when trying to get another job?

Three people jumping ship in three weeks doesn't speak well for the future of the game. People don't do that for no reason

Drop the sarcasm. Actually think about this. Three people left in three weeks, that does not happen for no reason. Not to mention the market isn't exactly saturated with those kinds of jobs these days

Thats not what several devs have implied over the last two years. First it was 'less than the people working a shift at the local starbucks' then it was 'we doubled that' Well it goes without saying, that isn't 30 people

Seriously, stop right there. Claiming that 3 people jumping ship in 3 weeks is normal is absurd. Especially in this economy. There is a reason behind it. Too big of a coincidence to claim they all up and decided to quit at virtually the same time. Jumping ship is jumping ship no matter how you spin it

When I read that it sounded like someone was getting pushed out a window :tongue:

In theory. In actual practice it never ever holds up if the person getting fired makes an issue of it. Technically a company has to tell you the reason. It has to be a legitimate reason and they do have to put it in writing on request, and be able to provide evidence of some kind on request if the reason has something to do with your actions. Because they have to prove that their reason is legal and is not in some way discrimination. If they refuse to do any of those things they've pretty much painted a 'sue me' target on their back.

Wait till it officially becomes 'the sixpack'

Alot more than three leaving in three weeks? Its not just the number, its the time frame. if 10 people leave a company over the course of a few years thats normal. if the same number left in a few weeks that would be a red flag.

Blaming the players eh :rolleyes: that particular road runs both ways. Why don't you take a look around and see how many times people have been misled and flat out lied to.

I somehow doubt that

Oh my goodness me. Have you actually thought about this? 4 people left my company last week, no big drama, just moving on. It does happen, no matter how many times you say it can't possibly be a coincidence, the truth is it could be. Can you at least admit it could be?
    Of course, you could be right. What if you are, what's the big deal? They will be replaced by other devs. No one stays around forever. Let's not forget that devs have left, and returned before. Chill out dude, it's not the end of the world;)
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Maybe they're leaving because they're tired of getting so much TRIBBLE on the forums?
    Just saying...

If that were true, it would have to be one of the all time dumbest reasons to quit a job. :rolleyes:
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    utio wrote: »
    4 people left my company last week,

its probably all PW's fault :tongue: