test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Offers Under Earn Zen

landshark535landshark535 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Do we have some kind of assurance that the sites are legitimate and are not trying to scam for personal information? Some of them sound ridiculously sketchy and they all seem like a "CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST WON THE NIGERIAN LOTTERY" banner ad.

I would rather not have anything to do with Zen. I would prefer to just come to the STO site and click on the button that says "Buy C-Points".
Post edited by landshark535 on

Comments

• mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Do we have some kind of assurance that the sites are legitimate and are not trying to scam for personal information? Some of them sound ridiculously sketchy and they all seem like a "CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST WON THE NIGERIAN LOTTERY" banner ad.

I would rather not have anything to do with Zen. I would prefer to just come to the STO site and click on the button that says "Buy C-Points".

Some PWE mouthpiece may come along later and censor what I have to tell you, but I'll at least try:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT to the 'free' offers. (Surveys, etc.)

Whatever email you provide them WILL BE CEASELESSLY SPAMMED with offers. The throw away account I use for them gets on the order of 1000 spam mails per day.

If you make the mistake of giving them a real phone number, it will be rung ENDLESSLY. (This was not something I did; I read the horror stories on other forums.)

And while I do not directly fault PWE for it, there is also a high chance that some of these places are not on the up-and-up, and will turn your info over to scammers. I won't tell you to lie, but even the free offers want enough information to commit identity theft, so you should probably consider whether giving so-and-so survey accurate info is really such a good idea.

The only possibly safe bets are the ones the require you to end up buying something from a known, established company. Netflix promos, etc.
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I know. I tried to use them with a fake mail, but it did not work (I tried one with my real stuff and it did not work either though). and I am sure as hell wont give these sites my email, that is used for gaming and all... (even if I use this as a secondary mail, even this does not deserve the spam)

so the only good way would be to create a new account, with an email address dedicated for this reason. though I could not expect this, when I linked my email to the game at the start of the beta

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well, I don't know if they're going through other datamining companies besides Peanut Labs, but I can tell you for a FACT that Peanut Labs rarely delivers. You can get all the way through their surveys, only to find out you don't qualify (at the very end, very convenient), yet they still have all the information they needed to get from your session. I wouldn't trust using them even if they changed their business ethics from a couple years back, but that's just me.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The whole point of those trashy surveys is that you feed them false info and use dummy accounts, dude. Some people recommend Virtual Machine environments or using a dump partition you don't care about (a lot of these sites are malware-ridden).

If you're really that desperate for "Zen", the one thing I absolutely advise you not to do under ANY circumstances is give a real phone number. The amount of phone harass you'll get is positively insane and getting your number delisted from these spam centers is really, lreally hard/convoluted.

EDIT: I recommend skipping about 95% of the "survey" offers. As the poster above mentioned, these crappy scam sites will pretend to be "gauging" you for viability in the survey, i.e. if you're the right demographic material or not. It's just a lie so they can take your personal info (as well as your survey answers) for free and make off like criminals. Classy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    Some PWE mouthpiece may come along later and censor what I have to tell you, but I'll at least try:

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT to the 'free' offers. (Surveys, etc.)

Whatever email you provide them WILL BE CEASELESSLY SPAMMED with offers. The throw away account I use for them gets on the order of 1000 spam mails per day.

If you make the mistake of giving them a real phone number, it will be rung ENDLESSLY. (This was not something I did; I read the horror stories on other forums.)

And while I do not directly fault PWE for it, there is also a high chance that some of these places are not on the up-and-up, and will turn your info over to scammers. I won't tell you to lie, but even the free offers want enough information to commit identity theft, so you should probably consider whether giving so-and-so survey accurate info is really such a good idea.

The only possibly safe bets are the ones the require you to end up buying something from a known, established company. Netflix promos, etc.
    Yeah I tend to agree with this. Use a backup email address, and avoid giving your phone number unless you trust the company in question (the netflix ones for example)

Use common sense and you'll be grand I assure you.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

If you are that scared, then just watch the videos. It takes more time to earn up zen, but it keeps you and your emails safe.
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To be honest, I'm not going to be data-mined by these chumps. It's pretty disgusting that PWE is behaving like this and working with companies that behave like that. Makes them look rather seedy and disreputable. I hope Cryptic is either bought by somebody that actually has integrity or goes independent at some point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • edude1701ivedude1701iv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    for the free offers only do what is required to get the zen. In part because most of the time you don't need to fill out everything. And put in fake info. Most of the time you don't need to do everything
  • tobogontobogon Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    To be honest, I'm not going to be data-mined by these chumps. It's pretty disgusting that PWE is behaving like this and working with companies that behave like that. Makes them look rather seedy and disreputable.
    Hard to believe that a Chinese company would do something disreputable with an MMO

My advice to everyone is to ignore the "free" offers.
    I hope Cryptic is either bought by somebody that actually has integrity or goes independent at some point.

Cryptic started out independent and it didnt work out as well as was hoped and were bought by Atari. I dont see them going independent again.
    This space for rent
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not unless they start working to make the customers and fanbase happy, rather than caving to PWE's domination with TRIBBLE like lockboxes.

Cryptic has one of the most powerful IP's it's disposal, but can't get it done alone unless they make players happy and give them what they truly want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    My advice, other than using a seperate email just for these offers, is to be prepared to not always get the rewards, I've tried these offers with facebook games in the past and I'd say overall, only about 1/4 ever actually gave me the reward! I'll also echo again Use a seperate email, I used one of my actual emails by mistake on a couple of offers and they are spammed to high hell with junk mail now, which is made more annoying by teh fact that I never recieved the rewards from those companies either! lol
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not unless they start working to make the customers and fanbase happy, rather than caving to PWE's domination with TRIBBLE like lockboxes.

When I look back at Cryptics history with monetizing STO I tend to see it as less 'caving to PWE's domination' and more 'wishing they had thought of it themselves years ago'.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    How long does the Netflix one take to deliver the Zen for signing up for the trial? It is still showing up on my STO page unlike other offers that I complete that now say "Do you want free Zen?"
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • tankalot42otankalot42o Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    none of it is actual surveys.....its stuff like "sign up for netflix", "get an auto quote" ect.....
    u have to spend money with onother company to get ur free zen...ergo its not free
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Word to the wise..."NOTHING is really free."

...my suggestion, ignore the Zen offer like a bad pop-up ad...which is basically what it is anyway i/m/h/o.

..."Peanut Labs" building the peanut of tomorrow TODAY! LULZ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I know on the forums I can come across as a PWE fanboi, but these free offers are trash. Maybe 1 out of 20 will actually work, and the ZEN you get can't get you anything anyway.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yall... sorry but this is the crassest of the crass.

The fact that PWE is doing this is the biggest red flag yet they ARE NOT a reputable, QUALITY company.

There is a current internent scam that uses the same TRIBBLE.

Just google ZipNadaZilch or ZNZ

PWE is NOT reputable company.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    PW claim no responsibility over what these sites do with your information, and actually caution you about what information you do given them.

If its too good to be true, it usually is, or something like that.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM ^^ /tinfoil hat
    edited June 2012
    Once you're with PWE for a while, you learn not to use them.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    PW claim no responsibility over what these sites do with your information, and actually caution you about what information you do given them.

If its too good to be true, it usually is, or something like that.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM ^^ /tinfoil hat

Yes they claim no responsibility but they PROMOTE IT.....

In the scam I mentioned earlier, if you do get someone to "complete" one fo the free offers you supposably make $40. So they could be making a lot on kick backs at the expense of their players

My big issue here is kids. Nothing against kids but many dont have the life experience to figure out the scams. Its nearly predatory IMO.

PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well of course they promote it, you have no choice when you're using a free forum for your template. :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY

PWE is one of the biggest players in the free to play market. You're sadly mistaken.
    edited June 2012
    PWE is one of the biggest players in the free to play market. You're sadly mistaken.

being one of the biggest companies in f2p doesn't negate them from being disreputable.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Biggest does NOT equate to reputable by a long shot.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited June 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    being one of the biggest companies in f2p doesn't negate them from being disreputable.

Why would they still be in business if they were so terrible? They have to be doing something right, or they'd have no customers. Also, the two other big players in the F2P market (gPotato and Aeria Games) also use the EXACT same providers for earning their virtual currency. It's the norm in the F2P industry, which you'll have to get used to.
    edited June 2012
    Why would they still be in business if they were so terrible? They have to be doing something right, or they'd have no customers. Also, the two other big players in the F2P market (gPotato and Aeria Games) also use the EXACT same providers for earning their virtual currency. It's the norm in the F2P industry, which you'll have to get used to.

Many companies can be succesful and not be reputable.

Gotta love how you try and tell your fellow customers how they should feel about a company, you have absolutely got to be a plant. You have nothing but a glowing 'sun shines out of their TRIBBLE' view of PWE and when they obviously do show themselves to not be the living god you portray them as it's either 'normal for the industry' or 'not their fault'.
    edited June 2012

Gotta love how you try and tell your fellow customers how they should feel about a company, you have absolutely got to be a plant. You have nothing but a glowing 'sun shines out of their TRIBBLE' view of PWE and when they obviously do show themselves to not be the living god you portray them as it's either 'normal for the industry' or 'not their fault'.

Check my above posts in the thread. Then try again.
    edited June 2012
    Check my above posts in the thread. Then try again.

I did, you're fobbing all the blame off on other companies, all part of the 'not their fault' and 'industry standard' line.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Pfizer, Dow, Monsanto.

I think it's actually a requirement to *not* be reputable to be successful. :biggrin:
    I did, you're fobbing all the blame off on other companies, all part of the 'not their fault' and 'industry standard' line.
    I know on the forums I can come across as a PWE fanboi, but these free offers are trash. Maybe 1 out of 20 will actually work, and the ZEN you get can't get you anything anyway.

Mhmm, really?