Install Arc
Options

horrible buzzing sound at ds9

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    DudeBGuy wrote: »
    G930 user here, also got the buzzing problem. It seems to be related to the USB connection and not to the 7.1 surround sound, since turning off the surround had no effect, but the noise was gone when I plugged in regular P2 earbuds.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the broken up map in DS9 and the rocky, dark brown, out of place textures all around on the promenade's floor, most noticeable in front of Quark's.

Hmm, this might be the issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I it was due to the Usb then it would do it all the time. If its the dark patches causing it would it be related to direct x? Maybe another bug with dx11.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I get this problem too. My audio setup is ASUS Xonar U3 that uses DDLive! for digital SPDIF output to an Astro Mixamp. I believe it's using 7.1 surround sound too. I can't say for certain but it seems like it started with the 2nd anniversary patch.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Welp I don't think anythings coming our way for some time.

In the mean time I can say however that we aren't only a small minority, quite a few people are having this issue as well. Asked people at DS9 everyday and had at least two respond saying that they could hear buzzing as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    My guess is that a reverb effect in the promenade is causing a feedback loop. Leaving the promenade stops the particular reverb effect and ends the buzz. I swear it's happened a few times if you stand in just the right place and fiddle with the camera angle you can kind of modulate the strength of the buzz by affecting the strength of the positive feedback loop.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    All the same things here.. I found that if you go to where the bank is on DS9, most of that room is "immune" from the glitch a few steps into the room from the hallway. So I at least can find a place to be able to think while on DS9.
    The thing is, I want to keep my surround setting on! Cmon!
    It's nice to have the workaround but somethins busted!
    I'm glad the devs are aware of this, thanks guys.. I hope this little bit of data helps you track it down.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Stormnnorm wrote:
    My guess is that a reverb effect in the promenade is causing a feedback loop. Leaving the promenade stops the particular reverb effect and ends the buzz. I swear it's happened a few times if you stand in just the right place and fiddle with the camera angle you can kind of modulate the strength of the buzz by affecting the strength of the positive feedback loop.

This sounds about right yeah. The buzzing sound only seems to occur when you're in a place the ambient humm used to be. If you go somewhere(like the shipyard) that doesn't have the humm, it suddenly stops.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    After today's patch the texture and map artifacts are gone, but the buzzing is still present.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    After today's patch the texture and map artifacts are gone, but the buzzing is still present.

I will update on this in a minute, mines currently patching.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Yep, still here, and they seem to be... louder.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I just want to throw my hat into the ring and say this affects me too using my onboard sound at 7.1.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I also experience this issue. If it helps the developers, my soundcard is a Xonar Essence STX. My onboard sound is disabled.

HOWEVER I worked out how to fix the issue for myself. On my Xonar Control Panel, if I set the Audio Channels field to '2 channels', '4 channels' or '6 channels' the buzzing noise stops.

I originally had this set to 8 channels and have had no buzzing issues anywhere else in Star Trek Online or any other game.

To anyone trying this solution, for me when I changed the channels I had to restart the game as all the in-game audio would stop when I changed the Audio Channels setting whilst the game was running.

Also, when the buzzing noise is in effect, it seems to change as you move around the Promenade indicating it may be a particular background sound that is being distorted. I can hear other Deep Space 9 sounds above the distortion.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    you hear it too? I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!! [dances around with ear-plugs in his ears]

i've been hearing this since i patched, and upgraded to 7.1 surround sound. been driving me crazy for weeks now.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Frost, any ideas what is causing this and/or if a fix is coming soon? I current dread going to DS9 because of this...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Would it be useful if I used the cryptic error tool to send a dump/report to show whats going on while standing on the promenade :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Logitech G35. I set foot on the station and BANG! noise. Beam out and it goes away. If I minimise the STO Window in Win7 it's still there (usually when I do that all STO sound goes). It does seem to be just certain areas of DS9 for me as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    7.1 headsets appear to be the problem. I played earlier with speakers and never encountered it but I did with my headset.

Logitech G930
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dev, just have the sound team buy a G35 or a G930 headset. I bet 10000EC that they will hear the buzzing sound that is driving us all MAD.

Note: I have a logitech g930 headset.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I have the exact same issue, sounds like the re-verb is way to high in the stations ambient. I would equate this sound to having your head in a Tesla coil, this has been going on for quite a long time now and needs to be fixed. Just to see how badly this was effecting my speakers I popped one the grills off and the speaker is vibrating like mad! This has the potential of damaging my equipment. Cryptic needs to address/fix this issue. This sound problem only seems to be present in the outer ring area / promenade of DS9.

I am using creative 7.1 surround speakers
    Realtek Alc888 sound board with driver version 6.0.1.6526
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    defendra wrote:
    I have the exact same issue, sounds like the re-verb is way to high in the stations ambient. .

I aggree. I thought it was the ambient noise on the promonade, it seems to decrease as you head further out from the centre, it dissapears entirely buy the time you get just over the threshold of the shipyard area, turn around walk back up the slope and it comes back. I've put a ticket in as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just want to add my voice in too.

Corsair USB HS1-A, running Dolby 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound. The sound is rather painful.

Ironically, I just played the new "Second Wave" mission, and the promenade in that level is fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Seems to be that once you are in the mission itself (killing Jem'hadar etc.), the promonade is fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    "Arnold Schwarzenegger Voice" FIX IT!! FIX IT NOW!!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dribbles wrote:
    Seems to be that once you are in the mission itself (killing Jem'hadar etc.), the promonade is fine.

Not for me, I moved an inch and BOOM it was like SKKDAKSDAKSDKASD.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've only been having this same issue since the patch on Feb 2, 2012. I also have a 7.1 headset. Razer Megalodon to be exact. The noise has actually been giving me nausea and vertigo so I just turn the volume off and take my headset off while I'm on DS9. Still needs to be fixed because #1 Its a potential health hazard and #2 it can seriously damage speakers.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Got the same issue!

Logitech G930 @ Gaming Software 8.20

Ive got headache...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Any word on this, JTFrost? Please let us know whats in the works or if you found something of interest.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    metritutus wrote:
    I also experience this issue. If it helps the developers, my soundcard is a Xonar Essence STX. My onboard sound is disabled.

HOWEVER I worked out how to fix the issue for myself. On my Xonar Control Panel, if I set the Audio Channels field to '2 channels', '4 channels' or '6 channels' the buzzing noise stops.

I originally had this set to 8 channels and have had no buzzing issues anywhere else in Star Trek Online or any other game.

To anyone trying this solution, for me when I changed the channels I had to restart the game as all the in-game audio would stop when I changed the Audio Channels setting whilst the game was running.

Also, when the buzzing noise is in effect, it seems to change as you move around the Promenade indicating it may be a particular background sound that is being distorted. I can hear other Deep Space 9 sounds above the distortion.

I've tried switching from surround to stereo as suggested in previous posts, I will try the channels next but I don't have the same card or headset. Thanks for the idea though! This stuff is killing me!
    It does not happen if I use onboard sound currently.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm at the beginning of the new featured episode, where you're on DS9, and the issue appears to be present here as well when my sound card's control panel is set to 8 audio channels.