test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ENTERPRISE Theme Best or worst theme ever?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Exactly! J.J. Abrams didn't "ditch the Star Trek baggage" and kept with the epic orchestral music and we all saw what an enormous flop Trek XI was.

Oh... wait.

I simply explained what I thought their thought process was, never said I thought it was intelligent, I suppose anything is preferable to admitting "voyager saw mass declines in viewership because we can't write worth a damn"
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    tyler42 wrote: »
    I concur.

The Enterprise theme was terrible. I believe it is responsible for Enterpise going off the air due to people not being able to get through the theme song without turning the channel.

And even if they did make it, it's not like the show got any better from there the majority of the time...

I'll never understand how something that is both Star Trek and has Scott Bakula could be so awful. :(
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    And even if they did make it, it's not like the show got any better from there the majority of the time...

I'll never understand how something that is both Star Trek and has Scott Bakula could be so awful. :(

here's a hint, when the people in charge fo writeing are people who have openly said "TRIBBLE continuality" you can't expect a prequal to be any good :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    here's a hint, when the people in charge fo writeing are people who have openly said "TRIBBLE continuality" you can't expect a prequal to be any good :)

Ya know, the continuity breaking is something I can forgive... and at least they made a few efforts to explain a few previously lore issues (the Klingons... now with Uncle Phil!)

On it's own, it's something I COULD live with... given they didn't do my actual problem with the show: it sucked. To be more specific, the writing sucked. It's full of missed opportunities, TRIBBLE that makes no sense, and outright stupidity. If Archer (who is criminally insane, I'm sure of it) and Phlox aren't justifying the genocide they're committing based on the fact they can't grasp the most basic ideas of evolution, then the chief engineer is lamenting "he was never really all that good at math back in school". Honestly, when I think about Enterprise I think that's the two points I think of the most. The writers would have us believe humanity's first major extra-solar exploration vessel was crewed almost entirely by mentally challenged sociopaths. Really? The CHIEF ENGINEER isn't any good at maht?! REALLY?! Curing a disease is wrong because the disease is genetic, therefore they should just DIE anyways?! REALLY!?!?!?

And then you have poor Malcolm Reed, the one sane man in the asylum. I distinctly remember an episode where he actually gave a BRILLIANT idea, and then the rest of the crew basically made fun of him for it... clearly, they just weren't all that used to hearing good ideas. Always felt bad for that guy... he didn't deserve half the TRIBBLE he had to on that hellhole of a spaceship.

Don't get me wrong folks, Enterprise did have some good moment... even an amazing episode in In a Mirror, Darkly (on, and the one with TRIBBLE was full of win... but TRIBBLE will do that). But for the most part, the writing made me do what Picard is famous for.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have no problem with the ENT theme, in fact I liked the season 3&4 'revamp' better than the original. That said, I do think it was a mistake for them to use vocals in the intro. The instrumental version would have been much better and much more in line with tradition.

I kind of think the producers knew they blew it (but couldn't change the fact once it had been done) as seen when they had a chance to change the intro music for a reason - and it's an instrumental type:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5zw6fGjdA

'Course one of the candidates they ditched would have probably done better:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWgU1fj3nM&feature=related
    ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk1NK8AXepk

This is what the enterprise theme song should have been, when I heard this I was like "I think I want to the part of the terran empire now"
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ya know, the continuity breaking is something I can forgive... and at least they made a few efforts to explain a few previously lore issues (the Klingons... now with Uncle Phil!)

On it's own, it's something I COULD live with... given they didn't do my actual problem with the show: it sucked. To be more specific, the writing sucked. It's full of missed opportunities, TRIBBLE that makes no sense, and outright stupidity. If Archer (who is criminally insane, I'm sure of it) and Phlox aren't justifying the genocide they're committing based on the fact they can't grasp the most basic ideas of evolution, then the chief engineer is lamenting "he was never really all that good at math back in school". Honestly, when I think about Enterprise I think that's the two points I think of the most. The writers would have us believe humanity's first major extra-solar exploration vessel was crewed almost entirely by mentally challenged sociopaths. Really? The CHIEF ENGINEER isn't any good at maht?! REALLY?! Curing a disease is wrong because the disease is genetic, therefore they should just DIE anyways?! REALLY!?!?!?

And then you have poor Malcolm Reed, the one sane man in the asylum. I distinctly remember an episode where he actually gave a BRILLIANT idea, and then the rest of the crew basically made fun of him for it... clearly, they just weren't all that used to hearing good ideas. Always felt bad for that guy... he didn't deserve half the TRIBBLE he had to on that hellhole of a spaceship.

Don't get me wrong folks, Enterprise did have some good moment... even an amazing episode in In a Mirror, Darkly (on, and the one with TRIBBLE was full of win... but TRIBBLE will do that). But for the most part, the writing made me do what Picard is famous for.

the thing is the inconsistancies are part of a bigger problem (keep in mind season 4 had a differnt writer who cared about that stuff, giveing us explinations for Klingon foreheads, an explination for the evil vulcans, and all that other good stuff) namely that the writers didn't care about telling a good well laid out story.

and I agree the prime directive episode was weak, prime directive episodes often ARE weak. of all the ways they coulda shown a foundation for the prime directive that was the worst
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    DS9 is my personal favourite, love that tune. i still want when we enter ds9 in game to have that tune in the background.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    NX > Galaxy, Constitution, Sovereign, Defiant and Intrepid

Archer > Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Kirk

Trip > Torres, O'brien, Scotty, LaForge

And yes

Ent Theme > TNG Theme, Voyager Theme, DS9 Theme and TOS Theme

Enterprise was just so much more interesting than any of the TRIBBLE that came before.. (Ok, DS9 and Voy wasnt TRIBBLE, just nowhere near the league of Ent)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Call me crazy, but I love them all...

TNG still pulls at the heart strings though... I was a lad when that series first aired late at night here in Australia, and it always made me sad I could never stay up and watch it. :(

This said, I have very fond memories of falling asleep to that utterly serene nine-note refrain, followed by "Space... the final frontier"...

Head-in-the-clouds stuff. :o
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ENT is the only one with vocals as part of the intro song, which I didn't like since it broke the traditional instrumental only intro music.

The only good thing that ENT ever produced was another look at the Mirror Universe, that didn't have Kira humping everything.

Maybe, in 30 years ENT will be looked back on fondly and reboot a TV series if it does well with reruns. Somehow I doubt that.

That being said, this series managed to kill Live Action Trek so dead that it took an alternate timeline of Kirk himself to bring back Trek to any kind of screen.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    NX > Galaxy, Constitution, Sovereign, Defiant and Intrepid

Archer > Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Kirk

Trip > Torres, O'brien, Scotty, LaForge

And yes

Ent Theme > TNG Theme, Voyager Theme, DS9 Theme and TOS Theme

Enterprise was just so much more interesting than any of the TRIBBLE that came before.. (Ok, DS9 and Voy wasnt TRIBBLE, just nowhere near the league of Ent)

i can tell you're a real trek fan with a star wars the clone wars avatar (dont get me started)

I Prefer the good old jerry goldsmith stuff, TMP drydock music which gave way to the tng theme after that its got to be the voyager theme, the ds9 never stuck with me..
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Maxloef wrote: »
    i can tell you're a real trek fan with a star wars the clone wars avatar (dont get me started)

I Prefer the good old jerry goldsmith stuff, TMP drydock music which gave way to the tng theme after that its got to be the voyager theme, the ds9 never stuck with me..

Meh

Im no Star Trek fan.. Im a Science Fiction fan.. Im not so narrowsighted that Id scorn one of the two biggest franchises.

You might say Im openminded.. Isnt that something "trekkies" pride themselves of being?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Geoff_484 wrote:
    Agreed, TNG theme to me IS the star trek theme

Enterprise was suuuuuuper TRIBBLE in my opinion

It is super TRIBBLE. Agree with ya 100 percent.

LISTEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sofU3EMa4xc

STII TWoK is my fav not only for music but best story continuation from TOS "Space Seed".
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Enterprise definitely was the worst theme for me.

In terms of favourite to worst, it would be something like:

TNG (TMP)
    Voyager
    DS9
    Enterpise
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    i love the deep space 9 theme but thats just from a musical perspective it is really nice to play in a small band but really really good in a orchestra. However i would have to say that the ent them is ok i dont really dislike it i just dont like it as much as i like the others
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I do not like it at all. Not the worst though.

I prefer TOS and TNG. Oh, the original DS9 was ok too.

Worst ?

Voyager. It's not bad it's just so forgettable.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I like enterprise theme alright but here's the thing. If any of you have listened to the soundtrack for Enterprise, it clearly has the best music of all the shows. Not the opening theme but the score.

http://ent.trekcore.com/audio/index.html#Theme

Check out the Broken Bow soundtrack, Archer's theme. Best piece of Trek music that exists imo. Archer's theme was also written to be the opening theme song, which they really should have done.

So here is how the open credits should have been using Archer's theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vslSWlsEg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Most Trekkies need to learn that DvDs and DVR either don't or let you fast forward through the intro. I personally do that all the time and I love Enterprise!

Archer's themes as the real opening song would have been just......wow that just sounded so much better!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The Theme for Enterprise was an outstanding choice for that show.

It’s the 1st theme for any Start Trek series that actually was not all instrumental.

The message in the Theme song gave you a sense that this Enterprise and its crew were the 1st to set out into space and had no idea what they were going to find.

I kind of regret only ever seeing 4 episodes of Enterprise

Of what I’ve seen of Enterprise, the Mirror Darkly arc was the best and I loved the fact that they created a totally different opening for the 2 part arc.

If I had to rank opening themes for Star Trek shows; I’d go with something like this:

1. TOS (The Theme just stands out has the Best IMO)
    2. Enterprise ( 1st Theme was Catchy and fit perfectly with the series)
    3. DS9 (This Theme and Voyagers kind of felt the same to me but still good)
    4. Voyager (I ranked DS9 higher because it was done 1st)
    5. Enterprise (Mirror Opening)
    6. TNG (Loved the show but the Theme just did not do much for me)
    7. TAS (only because I’ve never seen it)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I liked the Enterprise theme song, though I didn't like the version that appeared from season three onwards very much, felt a little too false. The original was much nicer and fit the theme of humanity reaching into space beyond their home system and makig the first steps towards what would be the Federation.

Also heard the original Rod Stewart version which isn't bad.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I absolutely hate the Enterprise theme. Not because it's different, but because it's different and lame. If it was different and good, I would have liked it. I did, however, like the Mirror version. That was awesome. You know what the actual Enterprise theme song reminded me of? Full House. Now back when Full House was on, I watched it, so whatever. But when I watch Star Trek, I don't want to feel like I'm watching Full House. I want to feel like I'm watching Star Trek. I really don't think you could have a "pop" style theme song for a Star Trek series that wouldn't be lame. Of course, I think pop is lame, so everyone has their own opinion, but that's mine.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pretty indifferent as to the theme. Would like to see either Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away or Disturbed - Land of Confusion for STO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVHmop9dK24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV4oYkIeGJc&ob=av2n
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Actually, looking back the Enterprise opening theme was horrid but the closing theme was alright to be fair.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    HisShadowX wrote:
    I like the first verison better it made me feel like I was reaching for the heavens. The remixed verision later in the series kind of sucked it sounds like a joke theme which reminded me of the remixed Next Generation Theme Patrick Stewart used for a show once what could be found here http://trekspace.ning.com/video/1977635:Video:103407

Let me know what you think

You do know that theme was stolen from Patch Adams right?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    as a theme for a stand alone show the theme to enterprise wasn't bad.

as the theme to a over thirty year old series with it's own tradtions, one of which is an orcistratal score for the intro, it's aweful.

the opening montoge of human exploration instead of the "Ship warping around space"? worked good I liked that.

the music? not so much
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    the original theme was a great song. just not a great Star Trek theme, the second version sounded like the Dukes of Star Trek....not good
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Enterprise's original theme was perfect for the show. The revamped one when they put 'Star Trek' into the title was lame.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My Mother, who has been a Star Trek Fan since TOS was original on air as new episodes, has enjoyed every movie and TV series since. Her favorite into theme song became the one for Enterprise...

In contrast, I totally hated the theme song for Enterprise. Not that I hate the song itself, it just didn't fit with all the other movies and shows being music only, with a narrative. I think I would have enjoyed it if they took out the words to the song and just used the music.

My favorite was Voyager's Theme Song. I also enjoyed TNG for about 4-5 seasons, then ended up fast forwarding through it or used that time to refill my drink or get something to snack on as it seemed to get old.

I hope future intro themes for any upcoming TV Shows and/or Movies do not go the way of the Enterprise and instead remain Music only with no vocals except for any narrative introduction.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The theme to First Contact is my favourite theme. Not only that it's one of my favourite pieces of music full stop.

Listen to it on youtube if you havn't heard it. It's brilliant.