test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reimbursements for UGC developers?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
mmk, so i was reading one of the MMO news sites covering UGC in STO and there was concern over whether it was FAIR for devs to implement a feature that was essentially charging people a monthly sub to develop content for them.

yeeeea, i don't think that's happening, the devs won't head to the beach once UGC comes out...
(they can't... dev skin vaporizes on contact with sunlight)
some guy in Texas with a $139 tricorder replica won't be crafting our weekly episodes on a Mountain Dew fueled fanfic spree
(he'll be in the Cryptic office)
BUT i think there will always be the possibility that someone will create something so kick-TRIBBLE that the devs will integrate it into the game
(like a sticky... in the forum of our hearts...)
Sooo if this situation comes to pass would the creators get a lil sum'n sum'n? like C-Moneys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Probably not. Use at your own discretion and what not. OR they might you never know. Probably not though.
    edited October 2010
    You know, I think that might be something that Cryptic should consider. If someone creates an especially good scenario it would be nice if they received 'something' for doing it. That something could be as simple as an accolade that gives you a boost in some combat related area, or as far up the scale as C-Points. I'm more inclined to go for the Accolade part though, as that would reduce people trying to game the system for free C-Points.

But I like this thought of yours and hope DStahl and Co. considers it.
    edited October 2010
    Blyn wrote:
    mmk, so i was reading one of the MMO news sites covering UGC in STO and there was concern over whether it was FAIR for devs to implement a feature that was essentially charging people a monthly sub to develop content for them.

yeeeea, i don't think that's happening, the devs won't head to the beach once UGC comes out...
    some guy in Texas with a $139 tricorder replica won't be crafting our weekly episodes on a Mountain Dew fueled fanfic spree
    BUT i think there will always be the possibility that someone will create something so kick-TRIBBLE that the devs will integrate it into the game
    Sooo if this situation comes to pass would the creators get a lil sum'n sum'n? like C-Moneys?

Umm, no; (it would cause a mess with the California 'contractor for hire' labor laws that Cryptic has to abide by). What you get is the knowledge and recognition that your mission story and design was deemed good enough to be incorporated into the 'main game' (and not just be part of the 'Foundry Tab mission list.)

Also, 'The Foundry' is a completely optional feature. In effect, you aren't paying for the tools to 'do the content developers jobs for them'; you are deciding to make use of a completely optional feature that allows you to create a story/mission in STO; or not. Whatever you decide to do with regard to using/not using 'The Foundry' system; it has no effect on your actual STO gameplay experience that you pay for.
    edited October 2010
    I don't want to insult anyone but I thought only communist would think about consuming things without paying somehow for it.

I play STO like it or not doing this game means alot of work for the employees of Cryptics studio. If it wasn't so anyone would be able to comme with something similar as STO or even better.

As far as i'm concern there is only one STO around. Lot of people criticise it but still only Cryptic put on the rails a coherent and money making MMORPG around star trek univers. All other intents so far failed miserably since 2000.

Why should cryptic refund its client since CBS doesn't plan to refund cryptic. Most of your monney goes directly to CBS pockets. Because they are the Star Trek legal right holders.

Why you always so the anything so much with a so short point of view.

If using foundry feels like a job for you don't use it. That's simple.
    edited October 2010
    people wont get any kind of compensation but if the creators keep creating excellent missions that keep getting good rating im not against those players get some sort of title or accolade or stuff.
    edited October 2010
    NO

if you are playing this game and decide you want to contribute content, and then others consider your effort especially good, then they can choose to donate in game credit to you at their own discretion.

BUT

No one who is playing (therefore paying for) this game should get any reimbursement from Cryptic. It would be like Wikipedia paying you to post information on their site.

I would love to create and tell some stories of my own in the context of the Star Trek Expanded Universe which the game operates in. I don't think I should be paid for it unless I work for Cryptic and do it on their terms and time-scale.
    edited October 2010
    when i asked i wasn't thinking of anything like a paycheck or royalties...

and i didn't know C-points were so tightly regulated...
    edited October 2010
    I don't think there should be any compensation other than if you do a good job and people like your mission then you get a high rating.

Other than that... nope.
    edited October 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    I don't think there should be any compensation other than if you do a good job and people like your mission then you get a high rating.

Other than that... nope.

Not even candy? Or perhaps pie?
    edited October 2010
    Like I said earlier, an accolade might be nice. Anything else sets things up for potential abuse, but an accolade for creating a highly rated scenario might be pretty cool.
    edited October 2010
    They could add some in-game benefits for that (bonus XP, accolades, emblems), but I think that should be about it.

Creating UGC is something you do because you want to create content and find this fun. That's your reward. Your mere peresence in this game is also "content" that Cryptic uses to sell it! You are "content" for the other players I interact with. If there weren't a lot of us, there probably wouldn't be any of us, because space would be empty, Fleet Actions unsolvable, PvP Queues wouldn't pop, STFs wouldn't be completed.

Creating the UGC system isn't "free" to Cryptic, either. It takes dev time and thus resources.
    edited October 2010
    I heard Cryptic have promised cake to the most promising UGC...
    edited October 2010
    saint100 wrote: »
    I heard Cryptic have promised cake to the most promising UGC...

Cake? CAKE? We don't want no stinking CAKE! (lol sorry, couldn't resist).
    edited October 2010
    Hravik wrote:
    Not even candy? Or perhaps pie?

Ok... you sold me on Pie. ;)
    edited October 2010
    IF...someone created something so epic it got into the full game then maybe there should be something

perhaps a UGC of the month competition
    ..winning prize=1 month free or 1000 cryptic points
    edited October 2010
    IF...someone created something so epic it got into the full game then maybe there should be something

perhaps a UGC of the month competition
    ..winning prize=1 month free or 1000 cryptic points

It's doubtful that they'd offer anything that big of a prize. Though a much smaller monthly prize might not be too far out of the question.
    edited October 2010
    Blyn wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a joke?
    edited October 2010
    I think what's more likely is that if someone is consistently churning out well-received content then they MAY be lucky enough to get a job offer. This UGC screams of them looking for more content ideas outside of the current dev team.
    edited October 2010
    Seems to be some confusion here about how Player Authored MIssions end up in game.

Cryptic doesn't "select" missions to show up in game - all authored missions can show up in game if they are playtested enough times by the community.

A portion of the Terms of Use for the Foundry stipulates that the missions you are authoring in the toolset can show up in game and become the property of Cryptic and CBS. If you don't want to give up your ideas, then don't submit them.

This is very similar to how an employee agreement works in game design. If several Cryptic employees get together at work and come up with a new game idea - it becomes the properly of Cryptic due to our employee agreement.
    edited October 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a joke?
    I think this entire thread is a joke. Along with the other one complaining about paying in order to create content for Cryptic.

First of all, if you create a mission in the UGC you're not doing it for Cryptic, you're doing it for yourself. And possibly for the players. If you don't feel that way then don't create any UGC missions.

Secondly, I can't believe that people are complaining about this. I know, I know. The STO forumites complain about everything, but I have to admit that this still surprised me. People have been asking for Cryptic to add a UGC system to STO and when they do... the nerdrage begins.

I swear. If Cryptic sent FREE beer and hookers to every STO player's home they'd STILL complain!

You people are insane. Insane.
    edited October 2010
    I swear. If Cryptic sent FREE beer and hookers to every STO player's home they'd STILL complain!

I had to pay for their taxi home!
    edited October 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    Cryptic doesn't "select" missions to show up in game - all authored missions can show up in game if they are playtested enough times by the community.

Understood, but didnt you guys say you would select specific well made, highly rated missions to be "recommended" via some contact when people log in or something?
    edited October 2010
    Understood, but didnt you guys say you would select specific well made, highly rated missions to be "recommended" via some contact when people log in or something?

I think there was from some early "idea storming" posts where that was the general idea. it probably evolved to the current system to keep any (developer side) bias out of the system. Instead, playtesting + ratings lets the cream rise to the top, so to speak.
    edited October 2010

There's been talk about integrating a type of "featured episode" for community authored episodes as well. Were this to happen, the "featured community authored episode" would most likely get bumped to the top of the ratings list, and have a special icon next to it in the search results page for the duration that it is featured.

You would still need to search for a community authored episode, and you would start the episode the same way you would any other community authored episode.

However, as far as I know it's only something we're thinking about doing, and plans have yet to move beyond that point yet. What do you guys think of something like that?

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited October 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    There's been talk about integrating a type of "featured episode" for community authored episodes as well. Were this to happen, the "featured community authored episode" would most likely get bumped to the top of the ratings list, and have a special icon next to it in the search results page for the duration that it is featured.

You would still need to search for a community authored episode, and you would start the episode the same way you would any other community authored episode.

However, as far as I know it's only something we're thinking about doing, and plans have yet to move beyond that point yet. What do you guys think of something like that?

Thanks,

Stormshade

I like the idea. It may help bring some of the lesser-known but good content to the front.
    edited October 2010
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade

I think its a good idea and heres why: even though we can easily sort by highest rated missions and see which missions the community thinks are good, I think it would be nice to also be able to see which missions the Devs think are good and or approximately on the same level of quality as official content.
    edited October 2010
    Blyn wrote:
    when i asked i wasn't thinking of anything like a paycheck or royalties...

and i didn't know C-points were so tightly regulated...

In games like SWG people who create missions get rated by the person who did the quest etc..

You receive tokens that can be used to buy rare gear for your house etc...

Is this what you mean mate ??
    edited October 2010
    I think its a good idea and heres why: even though we can easily sort by highest rated missions and see which missions the community thinks are good, I think it would be nice to also be able to see which missions the Devs think are good and or approximately on the same level of quality as official content.

This would work and could be based on the meta data that is being saved on our accounts.

A TOP 20 mission list could be made, this would be good for the people like myself who don't enjoy or want to make missions a new angle to enjoy this feature.
    edited October 2010
    Kanharn wrote: »
    In games like SWG people who create missions get rated by the person who did the quest etc..

You receive tokens that can be used to buy rare gear for your house etc...

Is this what you mean mate ??

that would be akin to energy credits or even emblems in STO. if you look at the thread in the Foundry subsection (Likeness Rights) what people are "demanding" is a way of being PAID, mostly by CPoints, which is ridiculous.
    edited October 2010
    Give AWARDS for great UGC!

1) Featured games earn like 10,000 Cryptic Points.

2) Each hit on your game gets you 1 Cryptic Point.

Something like that. This way it's not actual money. The only way I could see actual money being factored in would be if we made C-store items which is unlikely.