Install Arc
Options

DRAFT - The Nebula

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!! (unless you forgot what happened with the Excelsior) but better to start talking about it now than weeks from now.

Also keep in mind this ship has been in development for some time (pre-dates the new KDF ships being worked on)

Ok... here it is

Nebula
    A StarCruiser variant (Its not a Retrofit. It utilizes the StarCruiser Skill).
    Requires:
    Rear Admiral
    Weapons:
    4 Fore
    4 Aft
    Boff seats (4 Boffs, 11 Powers):
    1 Lt Tact
    1 Cm Eng
    1 LC Science
    1 Lt Universal

Mods:
    4 Eng
    3 Sci
    2 Tact

3 Device Slots

750 Crew

Unique Ability:
    Tachyon Detection Grid: PBAoE buff that increases your, and allies w/in 10k, Starship Sensor Stat and Cloak Detection. Each buffed ally in turn will buff more allies within 10k of them - thus extending the grid.

Turn Rate = Galaxy
    Any other stats not mentioned are the same as a Star Cruiser.

Screenshots attached - the second is one of the mission pod swap out configuration options

hmm, with the universal slot you can tune this to be more science based. I am not quite sure about folks wanting a "science" vessel since many hardly ever play science in pvp. very few and far between.
    My wife is already dancing after I explain to her the stats, she didnt like the excelsior, but loves the possibilities of this ship for her science officer. She would like it to stay a cruiser. You all do a good job keeping the ships on par with each other.

hmmm, for those stating, incorrectly, the klinks, will be upset over the universal slot its only due the BOP blah, blah, blah... funny i dont remember seeing anythign saying the universal was ONLY the domain of the BOP. THe bop is the ultimate JAck of all trades ship. This thing simple allows you to tune it to what ever angle you wish.
    Extra Tac for those wishing a bit more bite
    Extra Eng, for those healer types
    Extra Sci for those more sci-fi players.

the argument presented that this makes/breaks, yeah till we get the thing out and test it, we are just stating conjecture. Lets tinker with it and see first.

Personal i like the idea of a cruiser that a player themselves can tune a touch.

oh and that grid... like alot of "radar" grids, even joining in coverage, the more it away from the primary source the weaker the actual detection... i am betting this will prob hold true here as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Have you read up on how Dstahl said it would work... for the best results you will require a fleet. You have a detection zone round the Nebula, if you have other ships on your team within that detection zone, they get their own detection zone, if they have a ship in range of theirs... so on and so forth. I might suggest lowering the range on it a tad, but I rather like the setup as it is.

This power will certainly make life difficult for the Klingons, especially if a Defiant refit can contribute by getting a detection zone of their own while cloaked. In such a case, a Defiant refit and Nebula would make one frustrating combination, send out the defiant to max range, close to whatever "bait" ship is currently being used by the klingons and then fire of the TDG, watch every cloaked klingon ship within range suddenly end up visible :p It will also act as a good counter to the previously mentioned possibility of "Chang's BoP" that can fire torps while cloaked.

I think the grid is visible, so the location of the defiant would become apparant.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    [X] Vote for Nebula Starcruiser

[X] Vote for 2000 CP
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    VOTE for the nebula to be placed as a science ship

got 3 votes already
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    deeboboy wrote: »
    VOTE for the nebula to be placed as a science ship

got 3 votes already

I support you! I must admit that I'm not really happy the Excelsior and Nebula are supposed to be crusiers. Give us Science and Tactical guys some love;)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Between the specs and the bo/component slots, it looks more like a science ship instead of a cruiser to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I prefer the Science variant too ... there are enough Criusers ...

Or another idea: what about Commander Universal BO-console? So everyone could choose which role this ship should play for him?

Perhaps:
    Com universal
    Lt tactical
    Lt science
    Lt Com Engeneer (to state it as cruiser)?

I would try this as Science even if it has no subsystemtargeting :).

MfG Michael
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    artic1337 wrote:

[X] Vote for 2000 CP

[X] Vote for your death.

Stop suggesting silly prices.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please DON'T make it science. -_-
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I support you! I must admit that I'm not really happy the Excelsior and Nebula are supposed to be crusiers. Give us Science and Tactical guys some love;)

?

The Defiant ... that cloaks ...

Forgot about that already? Out of sight out of mind indeed!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Omega_X wrote:
    [X] Vote for your death.

Stop suggesting silly prices.

POLICY

the differnce between 1200 CP and 2000 CP is only $7. If C-Store funds are needed to keep the game alive, then I support Cryptic in getting as much as they can from C-Store junkies.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    artic1337 wrote:
    POLICY

the differnce between 1200 CP and 2000 CP is only $7. If C-Store funds are needed to keep the game alive, then I support Cryptic in getting as much as they can from C-Store junkies.

If C-store funds are needed to keep this game alive, then the game has already failed and is just in the "take the money and run" phase.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If C-store funds are needed to keep this game alive, then the game has already failed and is just in the "take the money and run" phase.

not if the C-store funds do, in fact, keep the game alive . . .
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    artic1337 wrote:
    POLICY

1. I couldn't care less about a policy.

2. Exorbitant C-Store prices does NOTHING to save them when the bulk of players won't pay at that price.

The Galaxy Dreadnought days are over.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    special abiliy sucks, but it looks fantastic unless the special ability changes i wouldnt really bother with this especially if its a C-store purchase
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Omega_X wrote:
    1. I couldn't care less about a policy.

2. Exorbitant C-Store prices does NOTHING to save them when the bulk of players won't pay at that price.

The Galaxy Dreadnought days are over.

ok, 1200 CP then . . . like I said it's only a $7 difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To take the drama and guess work out of the boff slots for each of these "new" ships added, I suggest something like the following:

1) Ship tier determines number of boff slots and their rank. Starting at T3 you get to designate a 1st officer. At T4 you get to desginate a 1st and 2nd officer. At T5 you designate 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

2) Ship class within tier determines the type of the highest ranking (CDR) boff and the 3rd highest ranking boff. A T5 cruiser is going to have a CDR engineer and LT engineer, etc.

3) The 2nd highest boff (LCDR in our example) will be determined by the players first officer choice.

4) as stated in (2), the third highest boff in the T5 example also be determined by the ship type - cruiser in the example, so engineer. This insures that cruisers have two engineers. Sci's have two sci, etc.

5) As you increase in rank/tiers, you get to designate 2nd and 3rd officers. These will then impact the 4th and 5th boff slots. So players get to effectively pick the class of three of their bridge officers at T5. The LCDR, one LT, and the ENS.

This takes the guess work and patch work out of boff slots and new ship additions, while giving players more choice to fit their chosen ship to their chosen playstyle. That is nothing but win IMO. And it sill leaves plenty of ship specific stats plus whatever special ship abilities that cryptic wants to come up with for "new" ships.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    artic1337 wrote:
    not if the C-store funds do, in fact, keep the game alive . . .

The latest angle has been along the lines of 'ok, we sorta said that but it turns out we needed the money'. Which indicates that STO has fallen short of its already extremely mediocre subscription revenue target.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm loving the look of the Nebula and the alternate model.

Think I'll respec out of science ships and into science cruiser for this one as it has more longevity and seems I can equip similar if not the same Boffs in the spaces you have listed, as I currently have in my Intrepid refit. Always wanted the Nebula.

Nicely done devs! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd rather see it as a Science ship, because I hate the cruisers. When I fly cruisers, I spend 90% of every fight reinforcing the shields. I'm just constantly pressing redistribute over and over and over. If I could put it on autofire... Cruiser shields are like a sneezeguard. This is one of the main reasons I'd rather see it as a science ship.

The other is that it seems to make more sense to me. It's not unlike the Luna, in size and capability.

Again, my biggest concern is that it should be made available in the game, without needing to buy from the c-store. As I suggested before, make it a Tier 4 Science Ship, similar in stats to the Intrepid, but tougher and slower. Then make a Cstore version for Tier 5 with the Tachyon grid and so forth. Again, similar to the DSSV, but tougher and slower.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    THIS IS ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!! (unless you forgot what happened with the Excelsior) but better to start talking about it now than weeks from now.

Also keep in mind this ship has been in development for some time (pre-dates the new KDF ships being worked on)

Ok... here it is

Nebula
    A StarCruiser variant (Its not a Retrofit. It utilizes the StarCruiser Skill).

Requires:
    Rear Admiral

Weapons:
    4 Fore
    4 Aft

Boff seats (4 Boffs, 11 Powers):
    1 Lt Tact
    1 Cm Eng
    1 LC Science
    1 Lt Universal

Mods:
    4 Eng
    3 Sci
    2 Tact

3 Device Slots

750 Crew

Unique Ability:
    Tachyon Detection Grid: PBAoE buff that increases your, and allies w/in 10k, Starship Sensor Stat and Cloak Detection. Each buffed ally in turn will buff more allies within 10k of them - thus extending the grid.

Turn Rate = Galaxy
    Any other stats not mentioned are the same as a Star Cruiser.

Screenshots attached - the second is one of the mission pod swap out configuration options
    Looks like a versatile ship, but its turn rate makes its combat value inferior to its counterpart of the Excelsior retrofit. Most players specialized on operating cruisers will probably choose the Excelsior retrofit. Perhaps it would be in fact better to make Nebula benefit from science ship skills as proposed by some posters, so players specialized on science ships would not have to reskill for cruisers in order be able to operate a cruiser-like ship efficiently.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Woril wrote: »
    . . . so players specialized on science ships would not have to reskill for cruisers in order be able to operate a cruiser-like ship efficiently.

I would guess that's not something the devs would allow.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    artic1337 wrote:
    I would guess that's not something the devs would allow.

Oh come on, it's the C-store. Who cares about altering gameplay at this point?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    KhansWrath wrote:
    its people like oyu that make me hate people sir

How dare you sir! For that the Klingons now get nothing til November, want it to be December? Then keep the back talk up smart mouth!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Nebula should be a Star Cruiser variant SUPPORT SHIP. There are 4 versions of the assault cruiser (excelsior, Gal-X, Gal-R, Sov). There are 3 versions of the sci ships (recon, DSSV, refit).

THERE IS ONLY ONE PURE SUPPORT SHIP. THE STAR CRUISER. GIVE PURE SUPPORT PLAYERS AT LEAST ONE OTHER ALTERNATIVE.

Make it flexible. Nerf it's offensive capabilities if that's what scares people into believing it could be OP. Something like

Nebula

3 front
    4 rear

1 tac console
    4 eng console
    3 sci console
    2 device slots

Uses Star Cruiser Skill

1 Cmdr eng BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Sci BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Universal
    (possible ensign sci BO)

That makes it insanely flexible in a support setting without being OP'd on damage. If this still looks too weak, just add an ensign sci. In the Star Trek tv shows the Nebula was a flexible support ship. Want damage? Tac Universal. Want more Sci with some survivability while sacrificing turn rate? Sci Universal. Want more support ship? Eng Universal. Canon also has the Nebula as a cruiser.

To those complaining about it stepping on KDF universal ships, remember that not only do they have cloak and maneuverability, they also get cannons (dps) and a HUGE alpha strike damage buff coming out of cloak.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh come on, it's the C-store. Who cares about altering gameplay at this point?

gahhhh. your right.

like i said before, the price tag trumps any need for the ship to be balanced.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    instead of tac detection grid which sounds exactly like the show. how about making a useful all the time power like the other ships get. The nebula had a powerful sensor array, why not make it have a sensor scan ability similar to the sci captain ability.

Or something like tacion burst that works like a charged partical burst. The detection grid would be a little unfair vs klinks and fed doesnt have enough cloaking ships to really warrent it.

Would be nice if you could save the tacion detection for something like a STF ability.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The Nebula as a Science ship? No. It's a Heavy War Cruiser used on the front line of every major conflict the Federation has had. The fact they're giving it an ability from a less then interesting TNG episode is their justification for charging RL money for it. This ship should be more like the U.S.S Phoenix. Now THAT is a Nebula class worth flying. You science guys need to just chill and wait for Oberth class, or maybe they could make the Steamrunner class and make it science based, seems more appropriate.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Zyphoid that layout isn't even close to good. A T5 ship has 12 BO powers or it isn't worth flying.

Nebula

4 front
    4 rear

3 Tac Console
    3 Eng Console
    3 Sci Console
    3 Device Slots (assuming 750 crew)

Uses Star Cruiser Skill

1 Cmdr eng BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Sci BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Universal
    1 Lt Tactical Console

This makes it all around good for anything. Good for Eng,Sci or Tact IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Faustaud wrote:
    Zyphoid that layout isn't even close to good. A T5 ship has 12 BO powers or it isn't worth flying.

Nebula

4 front
    4 rear

3 Tac Console
    3 Eng Console
    3 Sci Console
    3 Device Slots (assuming 750 crew)

Uses Star Cruiser Skill

1 Cmdr eng BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Sci BO
    1 Lt Cmdr Universal
    1 Lt Tactical Console

This makes it all around good for anything. Good for Eng,Sci or Tact IMO.

Practically the build I posted but Lt Sci rather than LTC.

I agree that it should be both a cruiser and have a LTC Universal Slot.