test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Secure Syetem missions: Death-by-dialogue-box has returned!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    How long will you keep posting this log? I think you will be celebrating the 400-day veteran accolade first. :D Butt I have to say, it's good that you're purrsistant, there should be more of your kind. :)

Indeed, this thread is a living testament to the failure that is Cryptic QA.

Maybe they figure they are saving work. Not fixing it will avoid the trouble of breaking it again at some point in the future...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Laguna, by the way, I luv your cute avatar. ^^
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Another patch comes and goes and... nothing changes here.

It would be nice if a Dev just said "yes we know this is once again an issue and are working on re-fixing it".

Yeah yeah I know, I must be delusional. The lonely vigil continues.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Death-by-dialogue-box: The Breen Edition

In "Cold Storage", in several places you get large dialogues just as Breen troops beam in literally behind the pop-ups. Sigh... a bit of unwelcome sloppy design in an otherwise excellent mission :(

I would have loved to have known what those dialogue boxes said in this STORY mission but I guess I will never know.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heyo, I couldn't reproduce the issue in Cold Storage, and I checked a couple of the tickets you sent in for the Star Cluster maps that were affected.

Star Cluster maps
    Yeah, something seemed to get reverted in one of them that I tested, though the other seemed to work fine when I tested it. Both were in space, one was KLG vs. FED, one was KLG vs. Borg). I'll see what we can do but it'd require a wider fix-up, so I can't promise anything soon.

Cold Storage
    I couldn't reproduce this solo (KLG side). There was one situation where I could definitely see it happening - When approaching the monument, there is a pop-up dialog, and I could imagine you getting engaged by the nearby patrol while that was up. However, in the cases where Breen beam in after a contact dialog, they wait for you to hit the Continue button before they beam in.

If you are on a team, this is much more likely to happen (since it'd read the first Continue button click and spawn them in). Unfortunately, we have no good solutions for this at the moment.

If you have a specific case where they spawned in while a dialog was popped up, give me a shout and I'll try to glance at it again.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Terramak wrote:
    Heyo, I couldn't reproduce the issue in Cold Storage, and I checked a couple of the tickets you sent in for the Star Cluster maps that were affected.

Star Cluster maps
    Yeah, something seemed to get reverted in one of them that I tested, though the other seemed to work fine when I tested it. Both were in space, one was KLG vs. FED, one was KLG vs. Borg). I'll see what we can do but it'd require a wider fix-up, so I can't promise anything soon.

Cold Storage
    I couldn't reproduce this solo (KLG side). There was one situation where I could definitely see it happening - When approaching the monument, there is a pop-up dialog, and I could imagine you getting engaged by the nearby patrol while that was up. However, in the cases where Breen beam in after a contact dialog, they wait for you to hit the Continue button before they beam in.

If you are on a team, this is much more likely to happen (since it'd read the first Continue button click and spawn them in). Unfortunately, we have no good solutions for this at the moment.

If you have a specific case where they spawned in while a dialog was popped up, give me a shout and I'll try to glance at it again.

I experienced this twice in Cold Storage while solo. First was the ruined monument, after a scan, while the pop up dialogue box is up, some breen spawn in behind you.

The second was after completing the tone puzzle, the breen spawn in behind you while you're reading the dialogue box.

Now, I've done this mission 3 times in total so far, and while the mobs have spawned in on both occasions while I was reading the dialogue boxes, they haven't always immediately agro'd. I really think that the positioning of your BOs has a major factor in this... Generally, if your BOs are clustered around you, then the breen wont agro, but if they have decided to spread out at a wierd angle, then one of your BOs may just be within agro range of the breen troops.

Linking these mobs so they don't spawn until the dialogue box is gone would be the preferred option, but another would be to push their spawn point back just a little further to prevent accidental agro before the player is ready.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I experienced this twice in Cold Storage while solo. First was the ruined monument, after a scan, while the pop up dialogue box is up, some breen spawn in behind you.

This happened to me too, but only on one charactor. Played the mission on two other charactors without this happening.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The second was after completing the tone puzzle, the breen spawn in behind you while you're reading the dialogue box.

Now, I've done this mission 3 times in total so far, and while the mobs have spawned in on both occasions while I was reading the dialogue boxes, they haven't always immediately agro'd. I really think that the positioning of your BOs has a major factor in this... Generally, if your BOs are clustered around you, then the breen wont agro, but if they have decided to spread out at a wierd angle, then one of your BOs may just be within agro range of the breen troops.

Linking these mobs so they don't spawn until the dialogue box is gone would be the preferred option, but another would be to push their spawn point back just a little further to prevent accidental agro before the player is ready.

Thanks! I love test cases. As always, I won't be able to get an ETA on a fix, but I'll see what we can do.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Terramak wrote:

Star Cluster maps

It is in very specific types of 'Secure System' mission where it happens 100% of the time and other where it never happens at all: - there are three kinds:

1. Secure System - Enemy confrontation: these work fine (no pop-ups during Red Alert)

2. Secure System - Defend Ship: Pop-up of Death happens the *instant* you kill the last ship of each wave, 100% of the time.

3. Secure System - Defend Base: Pop-up of Death happens the *instant* you kill the last ship of each wave, 100% of the time.
    Cold Storage

That is exactly correct but there is at least one situation I can recall where you get at least two dialogue boxes and they beam in immediately you advance the first one (alas I have done the mission on all 7 of my active toons or I would do it again and make more careful and precise notes... sorry)

I am kicking myself for not writing it down at the time so my bug report was a bit more helpful and specific :(
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The second was after completing the tone puzzle, the breen spawn in behind you while you're reading the dialogue box..

Bingo! Yes, these were the exact examples I also experienced, Many thanks!

You are also right about them aggroing... sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't and it was no doubt down to luck of where my BOffs were standing at the time :D
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's definitely an agro range type thing. In Cold Storage, I was reading a dialog box, at some point near or after the tone puzzle. The Breen didn't agro, so I had my Eng BOs drop turrets in preparation for when they did.... and then the turrets started shooting, and it was mayhem from there.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    It is in very specific types of 'Secure System' mission where it happens 100% of the time and other where it never happens at all: - there are three kinds:

1. Secure System - Enemy confrontation: these work fine (no pop-ups during Red Alert)

2. Secure System - Defend Ship: Pop-up of Death happens the *instant* you kill the last ship of each wave, 100% of the time.

3. Secure System - Defend Base: Pop-up of Death happens the *instant* you kill the last ship of each wave, 100% of the time(

Alas, still not fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We just had a big fat patch... did an explore >> secure system >> defend base and...

...Still not fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    aye its a real pain, happens every time u defeat a wave of ships, you kill it and before it blows you get a pop-up come to full stop next to a warp-core going critical unless your on the ball you get hit by the blast wave. Its really annoying. :mad:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TheXtreme wrote: »
    aye its a real pain, happens every time u defeat a wave of ships, you kill it and before it blows you get a pop-up come to full stop next to a warp-core going critical unless your on the ball you get hit by the blast wave. Its really annoying. :mad:

You can set 'Keep moving during contact dialogues' to 'ON' so at least you do not abruptly stop next to the ship about to blow up in your face, but of course you still get the accursed pop-up that often obscures said exploding ships or behind which the NEXT wave of enemies spawn :rolleyes:

For me the galling thing is this was fixed previously and then unfixed during the Season 2 patch, so it is not like there is some unfathomable bug lurking somewhere that they just cannot find (and to add insult to injury, I spotted this fact on the Tribble Test Server and told them they had re-introduced Death-By-Dialogue-Box... but this bug went live anyway like some undead zombie slasher killer that just refuses to stay dead). :eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Terramak wrote:
    Star Cluster maps
    Yeah, something seemed to get reverted in one of them that I tested

Still broken :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    DOH... it now occurs to me that the obvious solution is at hand...

...The groovy new mini dialogue boxes that have been introduced! Face it, there is zero reason for any "click interaction" between attack waves, so just add the nice new mini-dialogues and... voila! Problem fixed!

Just do it!