test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Secure Syetem missions: Death-by-dialogue-box has returned!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited November 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
After they fixed this months ago, Season 2 has now UNFIXED it.

In Secure System explore missions, you will now once again get a dialogue-of-death whilst *STILL* in Red Alert, right in your face the very instant you kill the last ship in a wave (i.e. right when it is about to blow up).

Fix this.... or more accurately, re-fix it. Again. *sigh*
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    After they fixed this months ago, Season 2 has now UNFIXED it.

In Secure System explore missions, you will now once again get a dialogue-of-death whilst *STILL* in Red Alert, right in your face the very instant you kill the last ship in a wave (i.e. right when it is about to blow up).

Fix this.... or more accurately, re-fix it. Again. *sigh*

I just noticed this myself, that I'm being bothered by the comm officer right when a warp core breach is happening.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And to add insult to injury, I did a bug report on this when it was still on Tribble too... they didn't fix it for the Season 2 release :mad:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would prefer that upon entering a system, enemies are out of combat range. I often get up during loading screens... ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Indeed but that is a different issue.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Additional info: This is the case in both 'Defend the Ship' and 'Defend the Base' Secure System missions... i.e. something has simply reverted to a pre-patch 1.2 state as this is *exactly* the problem before. Bad bad bad.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually I am starting to see pop-ups during Red Alert in most of the new Klingon missions as well.

This is a VERY unwelcome development and indicates something has gone rather wrong with the QA process and it makes the whole game look unpolished. Rather discouraging really to see something that was fixed get widely un-fixed.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Klingon mission >> Destiny (space element vs. Breen) >> Pop-Up-Of-Death
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Given how long it took to fix this first time around, it would be reassuring to know if a Dev is actually aware that this issue has returned from the Beyond The Grave...
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As stated before, both the 'Defend the base' and 'Defend the Ship' Secure system missions have the accursed Pop-Up-Of-Death...

BUT...

...the 'Enemy Confrontation' variant (i.e. the Secure System missions which does not have spawning enemies during the encounter... i.e. they are all pre-set at the initial trigger), does NOT have P-U-O-D and the dialogue box correctly waits until Red Alert is over when you kill the first ship(s)...

SO...

Just copy the code governing that behaviour and use it in every single other mission (clearly someone missed cutting-and-pasting over the newer fixed code with the older broken code in the 'Enemy Confrontation' variant) .
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please for the sake of Pete hold pop ups until after red alert clears. Death buy detonating cube or being held into place amidst a swarm of enemies by a pop up is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »
    And that's the way it is.

Several times during a "secure system" mission my Bird of Prey was almost destroyed by the dialogue-of-death. Please (re)fix this.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The latest patch has NOT re-fixed this.

I would love to know if the devs are even aware of this 100% reproducible issue given how long it took to get them to even acknowledge it was seriously bad the first time.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lost 5 scan bonuses last night due to pop ups interfering with re modulating the frequency.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, these pop ups are a serious issue that needs to be dealt with. Fortunately for me I've only been extremely annoyed by them as they interfered with gameplay with no ill effect, but having that thing pop up on you with a ship blowing up next to you or while you're still getting shot it should simply not be happening. A nod from the devs to let us know they're looking into this again would be very much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What I like is I have gotten so used to immediately killing the "dialogue of death" that I miss out in story line. The dialogue of death is so intrusive that I have been conditioned by them to not even read dialogue popups at all, in combat or out of it. It's pretty Pavlovian if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Another patch comes and goes and no fix... or 're-fix' to be more accurate.

I wish I could be sangine that the powers-that-be have even got this fix on their "to do" list, given how long it took them to fix it first time around.

And I would love to know how and why this was unfixed in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    May I suggest as a workaround, that you change the 'Keep moving during contact dialogs' setting in the 'controls' subsection of the options to 'on'? You still get the Dialog in your face, but you don't stop dead in space!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Graptor wrote: »
    May I suggest as a workaround, that you change the 'Keep moving during contact dialogs' setting in the 'controls' subsection of the options to 'on'? You still get the Dialog in your face, but you don't stop dead in space!

I suspect anyone who has played the game for more than a few weeks has 'Keep moving during contact dialogues' set to 'ON'...

...but that does not address the point that we should not have to fight the damn UI to play the game... it is an *appalling* piece of games design. :mad:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah, totally should be universal suppression on all dialogs when you're in combat. There are however a lot of people in here complaining about being killed because a dialog stopped them next to an exploding ship, so...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pop-up-of-death... ground edition...

The House Always >> Sulfer my Wraith >> House of Torg >> the moment you kill S'gen you get the Pop-Up-Of-Death (i.e. in the middle of a ground melee with a bunch of Romulans).

Sloppy coding.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bump, yet another for the list.. cant get over all the down time and patches yet soooo many bugs dont get touched.. for MONTHS ?!?!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And another one...

Blood of the Empire >> Great Halls of Qo'noS : the instant you kill D'Jar, you get a pop-up in your face even if you are still fighting hordes of Fek'lhri.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And another...

Destiny >> Defend IKS Batlh from Breen ships ... a mega-dose of instant Pop-Up-Of-Death during Red Alert each time you kill a wave of ships
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Another patch comes and goes and no (re-)fix for this.

I would relax if a dev or someone in the know at least said this was on the 'known issues to address' list given how long it took to address this 100% reproducible matter the first time they fixed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *sigh* Another patch comes and goes and still no fix for this.

This was bug reported on Tribble before it went live on Holodeck, so why oh why oh why...

EDIT: trawling through old posts, I came up this remark by a Cryptic Dev:
    UI_Maven wrote:
    "To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... is appalling interface design."

I completely agree, which is why this isn't actually supposed to happen. :)

Your "in-combat" state is supposed to persist for a few seconds after anyone has targeted you, to give time for ships to blow up, etc. before interactions or contact dialogues appear.

Can you give specific examples of maps/missions you're seeing this on, or is it always happening? Do you recall if you were actually in combat (does it still say "Condition Red" at the top of the screen) or were the contact dialogues just appearing too quickly after combat was over?

And here is a screenshot of Pop-up-of-death happening.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Annoyance-by-dialogue-box... anomaly scanners version...

When Fed side doing a scan-the-anomalies mission, when you scan the final 5/5 target, the %$&£*&ing "leave system/keep exploring" dialogue box pop up makes it pretty much impossible to do the mini game on the final anomaly. Oh my GOD is that annoying :mad:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Still no fix... but here is an observation that should make fixing this *again* simple as it is clear where to cut-and-paste unbroken code from (i.e code than was not un-fixed by Season 2).

There are THREE versions of the "Secure System" explore mission:

1. Secure System >> Defend Base

2. Secure System >> Defend Ship

3. Secure System >> Enemy Confrontation

The first two examples (Defend Base and Defend Ship) have 'Death-By-Dialogue-Box' (insanely annoying pop-ups during Red Alert).

However the third variant (Enemy Confrontation) does NOT (i.e. it was not broken in Season 2 and whoever the bozo was who cut-and-pasted old broken pre-1.2 patch code into the Secure System missions (and many many many other missions such as ALL the new Klingon missions) somehow missed TRIBBLE up this one mission variant.

In the "Enemy Confrontation" version, all dialogues politely wait until Red Alert is over before getting in your face. Just copy the code from there and cut-and-paste back into the other variants and almost all the new stuff since Season 2.

To quote a Cryptic Dev:
    Originally Posted by UI_Maven
    "To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... is appalling interface design."

I completely agree, which is why this isn't actually supposed to happen.

Your "in-combat" state is supposed to persist for a few seconds after anyone has targeted you, to give time for ships to blow up, etc. before interactions or contact dialogues appear.

So kindly make it so... again!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Another patch comes and goes... and still not re-fix.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How long will you keep posting this log? I think you will be celebrating the 400-day veteran accolade first. :D Butt I have to say, it's good that you're purrsistant, there should be more of your kind. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How long will you keep posting this log? I think you will be celebrating the 400-day veteran accolade first. :D

I sure hope not :(