test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is YOUR Opinion of Season 1? Time for people to come back or... ?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    EDIT: oooops... wrong reply.

gotta stop with the acid before lunch.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Dude, is that Turturro? You are a lucky bastage..he's the man.

I got to spend 5 weeks with him as chief button pusher while he was directing an off-broadway play (it was a total flop)

http://www.carnegiehillbooks.com/album/spanishplay/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    swag-nyc wrote: »
    I got to spend 5 weeks with him as chief button pusher while he was directing an off-broadway play (it was a total flop)

Now we know why it was a flop. lol
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    see Xanthar ?

told you not to mess with Zappa.

.:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    edited March 2010

http://www.carnegiehillbooks.com/album/spanishplay/

Well I hate that it was a flop, but that had to be a great experience! How is his directing skills?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well I hate that it was a flop, but that had to be a great experience! How is his directing skills?

well... heh

most directors never linger past opening night, he was there every night fiddling with the show.
    hell one night the lead Zoe Caldwell broke her nose and he played her part.

got that on video, it was a riot.

the show certainly had its moments, and has a great writer, but a version of it ran in Ploand and was 4hrs long, JT managed to cut it down to 1:50 but it was still too slow for most NYC audiences.

and to the Dude, he was there for one of the performances as was some other of JT's fellow actors
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    see Xanthar ?

told you not to mess with Zappa.

.:D:D:D:D

Why? Because he is a picture with someone famous? lol Celebs love ignorant people.. it makes them feel even more "special"
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    xanthar wrote: »
    Why? Because he is a picture with someone famous? lol Celebs love ignorant people.. it makes them feel even more "special"

and arguing with ignorant people makes you?

frankly I'd rather be ignorant
    swimsuit models love ignorant even more than movie stars do

http://www.carnegiehillbooks.com/album/ot/si/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Seems a bit lite. I was expecting more. I'll make my call next month, as the only parts I am really waiting for are the diff slider and death penalty.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and arguing with ignorant people makes you?

Warm and fuzzy inside. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't logged into STO for... hmm... maybe 2 weeks or something. Of course, I lied, I have logged in, but only to patch the client and not actually to play (for that time that may come for when I actually do want to play, I wont have to wait to DL).

So, I'm curious, how did the 45/52 day patch turn out which was presumably Season 1. What's your feedback?

It is a good time for people on the fence to return to STO and start their subs back up? Would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify: I never "quit" STO... as I bought a lifetime sub... but I did stop playing because... well... I couldn't play for more than an hour at a time without getting bored

I don't think that people are really grasping the concept that MMOs are "a work in progress." If a company is truly dedicated to their work and their art, you are going to see constant change. The level of "Tah-dah!" you are looking for, that dramatic level of change that knocks your socks off, most likely isn't going to be accomplished within 45 days and to expect such is beyond reason.

That being said, a ton of fine tuning has been done. I feel the progress is reasonable, appreciative, and is improving my gameplay experience. There's a ton of things that I want to see in game too, but I feel that what I've been given in terms of balance, features, art, missions, etc., is appropriate. Enough so that, for me, it tells me that Cryptic is a company that is dedicated to this artform we enjoy, and that they are putting forth huge effort to increase my entertainment value through more customer support, information, and actual in-game work.

I've played most of the "big name" MMOs out there. Enjoy several of them. I'm enjoying STO and I think, when I'm playing this game 2 years from now and looking back, I'm really going to be impressed with where we are. I'm here for the long haul.

Hope to see you in game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly , no. I hung around for 60 days and mine expires in in very early April and to be honest they need to add a whole bunch more content than just paying lip service to it. There are really two issues at work.

One is the mistaken premiss that this game will ever go to PS 3 or Xbox , since they gave up on trying to get Champions on these platforms it should apply here as well . With the realization that this game will never go to those platforms they can actually get to work and make this game work for PC and turn it into something bigger than it is. The Ai is atrocious and an embarassment to the company . They need to turn it over to the community . Unfortunately with a dwindling community it may be too little too late.

The second issue is that Cryptic has no real concept of how PvP is suppose to work nor implement it . They don't understand balance and they listen far too much to the whining of a small portioon of the player base who are not objective nor knowledgable . Cyrptic spends too little time in testing and fails to test the things that matter. They have tribble for testing PvE content ( which all it's really good for ) , but if they want to really see results of their work on PvP , they need to climb into the Holodeck PvP arenas . With the best players with the builds that they don't discuss nor will reveal.

I of course will check back when the free play weekends are offered , as they are on Champions, to see if there has been any progress. Until then Cryptic will have to work harder and institute more changes to earn my money.

I find it interesting, and not in a derogatory manner , that the life members all have positive things to say . It only follows that those with the most invested in something would be the most positive and hopeful. It may not be all of them , but a good proportion , i've noticed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah have to agree with most of the posts, was expecting more and was a bit disapointed with what we got. Dont see any reason to renew my sub past may.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't logged into STO for... hmm... maybe 2 weeks or something. Of course, I lied, I have logged in, but only to patch the client and not actually to play (for that time that may come for when I actually do want to play, I wont have to wait to DL).

So, I'm curious, how did the 45/52 day patch turn out which was presumably Season 1. What's your feedback?

It is a good time for people on the fence to return to STO and start their subs back up? Would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify: I never "quit" STO... as I bought a lifetime sub... but I did stop playing because... well... I couldn't play for more than an hour at a time without getting bored

It would very much depend on why you stopped playing to begin with. If your expecting a totally different game than when you left then you would be disappointed when you came back.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OP , its not going to float your boat yet , if you did not like the game before your not going to like it now , lets see when they implement the rest of season 1 , I still find it fun , but for peepe they did not, they still wont, Its not EVE and it never will be (I am very happy about that ) , not trying to be rude but its the truth.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    xanthar wrote: »
    Let's see, you can tell what Cryptic has planned in the future based on an update... let's see if i can tell what you have in your future based on your post....

Based on the fact that you have no capitol letters, this tells me that either you need a new keyboard, your lazy, or you don't know any better.

Since you don't know how to spell because or essentially and "dont" should actually be don't, this tells me that you are either young and a poor student still in middle school or a high school drop out.

These facts tell me that you are destined to be a fry cook at a fast food restaurant, a migrant fruit/vegetable picker, or a politician. Am I close?

Talk about scraping the troll barrel lol.
    Has to be the worst troll ever, If in doubt just make up a strangers life and act like its real lol.

Kiddy stuff aside, The update was good, lacking a bit of real content for us RA5 peeps, We need repeatable patrol missions adding or something to keep us playing once the STF is done.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DVanceJr wrote:
    I don't think that people are really grasping the concept that MMOs are "a work in progress." If a company is truly dedicated to their work and their art, you are going to see constant change. The level of "Tah-dah!" you are looking for, that dramatic level of change that knocks your socks off, most likely isn't going to be accomplished within 45 days and to expect such is beyond reason.

That being said, a ton of fine tuning has been done. I feel the progress is reasonable, appreciative, and is improving my gameplay experience. There's a ton of things that I want to see in game too, but I feel that what I've been given in terms of balance, features, art, missions, etc., is appropriate. Enough so that, for me, it tells me that Cryptic is a company that is dedicated to this artform we enjoy, and that they are putting forth huge effort to increase my entertainment value through more customer support, information, and actual in-game work.

I've played most of the "big name" MMOs out there. Enjoy several of them. I'm enjoying STO and I think, when I'm playing this game 2 years from now and looking back, I'm really going to be impressed with where we are. I'm here for the long haul.

Hope to see you in game.

I'd just like to point out, that your initial sentance appears to be saying 'people dont get it'. This is a insult to people who happen to have an opposing point of view. I'm pretty sure that if someone is on the forum of a MMO, they 'get it'. Telling me i dont 'get it' has to be one of the pettiest, least thought out, illogical arguments that you could possibly make.

I say this in the hopes that you didnt really mean to tell us we dont 'get it'. And to possibly keep you from infering such in the future. We do get it. We just dont like it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    im in the exact same boat jacob.

havent logged in for weeks....just patched.....looked at the dusty ra5 ship...then logged back into lotro.

i m lurking...hoping...but losing interest faster than i'd like.

I'm hoping you and I do not represent the majority opinion, for if so then STO might not see bright horizons in the future, which means I'm screwed for making the leap of faith and getting the LTS. I'm feeling the burn, and it hurts. I want to say "good riddance" to STO and to Cryptic permanently, but its so difficult since my beloved IP is attached to this game.

If this were the exact same game but not Star Trek, I'd be gone without a moment of hesitation.:(

mrtauntaun wrote: »
    Seems a bit lite. I was expecting more. I'll make my call next month, as the only parts I am really waiting for are the diff slider and death penalty.

Pretty good if those are the things that will keep you interested. For me, those two items are not enough, STO will still be shallow, simplistic and boring... except with death penalties and CoX difficulty sliders, rofl.
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    @ OP:

It is not much more then before... they added a few small things which make the game feel better but they dont make up for the missing feeling of *needing to play to advance*

I have fun playing, i dont rush and it is nice to see that Cryptic add's stuf all the time but the major points like missing Crafting, missing PvP (what is in now is Team Deathmatch, not what i consider PvP and other games that were no MMO's did TDM better 100 times allready)... no user created Holodeck-Missions or Interriors... it does not add a new Singleplayer Campaign for Klingons, no new Episode Missions for Fed's etc.

What is in Season 1 is fine if you liked it before but it is nothing to bring bored players back to the game.
    Considering that the game is out only 2 Month's it is plenty what was in there though.

The STF's entertain people for maybe a Week or Two but then they get bored again.

The Game needs things like Open PVP and User created (Holodeck) content to provide UNLIMITED things to entertain that dont get Repetitive like the Genesis Missions or need Cryptic to work 24/7 on it.

Crafting would be a fine thing to do... but why need crafting if all there is is more blue rare stuff which you allready get easy enough. This is no Item hunting game like Diablo or WoW.

I am fine with Season 1 as it is and i rather see Cryptic take it's time to make some of the big things right instead of pushing something *good enough* out there just so it is there to play.

I agree, I hope they start producing QUALITY instead of quantity. Launching STO when they did was a sour mistake which many people spoke out against well before closed beta.

But also also with some of your suggestions. I guess its going to take awhile, only I wish I hadn't gotten the lifetime subscription now... since I'm essentially, not playing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LawLessOne wrote: »
    It would very much depend on why you stopped playing to begin with. If your expecting a totally different game than when you left then you would be disappointed when you came back.

I stopped playing because the game is monotonous, simplistic, and shallow which ultimately leads to a boring experience. There is only one linear path toward advancement, with very little alternative venues of gameplay. I also stopped because STO falls short of what is available on the market today. It is sub-standard with doubtful little hope of reaching the same potential of other games (my opinion only). The game universe is small, fragmented, and there is little in the way of game mechanics that foster or encourage community... due to core game design flaws.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vuk wrote: »

I find it interesting, and not in a derogatory manner , that the life members all have positive things to say . It only follows that those with the most invested in something would be the most positive and hopeful. It may not be all of them , but a good proportion , i've noticed.

I'm a lifetime member, and I have very little to say that is positive about this game. And I am finding an increasing number of other lifetimes who are equally dissatisfied. Check this thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm a lifetime member, and I have very little to say that is positive about this game.

same.

and I've even gone as far as boycotting the blue title until I no longer feel ashamed of my current bad decision.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    well the lifers paid up what, 20 months or so? less for the pre order lifers...so the game has that long to get good enough to justify the cost to us all, subbers and lifers.

Having said that, it isn't looking good so far, but then again, its only a month.

Honestly i think this will fail before then, and the subbers will technically "win," having paid less money for the folly.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm a lifetime member, and I have very little to say that is positive about this game. And I am finding an increasing number of other lifetimes who are equally dissatisfied. Check this thread.

This isnt a bad thing, anyone who flames you guys for that is just a unthinking fanboi. It's good that you guys let the developers know that even though you have a lifetime sub, they cant just dish out trash and keep you playing. It also lets them know that they really need to pick it up, start doing a better job.

Keep it up, you guys are some of the most constructively critical people ive seen here. And more constructive critisism where it is deserved is never, ever, a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Blakmojo wrote: »
    well the lifers paid up what, 20 months or so? less for the pre order lifers...so the game has that long to get good enough to justify the cost to us all, subbers and lifers.

Having said that, it isn't looking good so far, but then again, its only a month.

Honestly i think this will fail before then, and the subbers will technically "win," having paid less money for the folly.

I feel like I'd better getting my money's worth if this game were playable NOW and up to two years. And I'm starting to think that I might not want to wait two years for it to reach a level of acceptable proportions.

What I should have done was just done a monthly sub, and stopped paying... since afterall, I am not getting any use out of their product currently. Instead, I duped myself into paying for an alpha/beta product. Bah. Shame on me. I'm glad some people like it... but as I've said before... from 1 million "accounts" down to just over 100k subscribers... well... I may not be the only one who feels STO was released as a sub-par product.

The thing of it all is, many people... not just a FEW naysayers here and there, but many people spoke out about the mistakes they were making during development/production, such as heavy instancing, and the decision to castrate klingon gameplay, etc etc. Do they listen? Yea, I guess so... now we're getting PAKLED as a playable race :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I feel like I'd better getting my money's worth if this game were playable NOW and up to two years. And I'm starting to think that I might not want to wait two years for it to reach a level of acceptable proportions.

What I should have done was just done a monthly sub, and stopped paying... since afterall, I am not getting any use out of their product currently. Instead, I duped myself into paying for an alpha/beta product. Bah. Shame on me. I'm glad some people like it... but as I've said before... from 1 million "accounts" down to just over 100k subscribers... well... I may not be the only one who feels STO was released as a sub-par product.

The thing of it all is, many people... not just a FEW naysayers here and there, but many people spoke out about the mistakes they were making during development/production, such as heavy instancing, and the decision to castrate klingon gameplay, etc etc. Do they listen? Yea, I guess so... now we're getting PAKLED as a playable race :rolleyes:

TBH, the second i see a game is even offering LTS's i know theres a problem. In the future i would look at that with much more skeptisicm. Think about it, if it was going to be a legitimatly good game, they would have nothing to gain whatsoever from offering LTS's. They could have put all those items on the CStore and would have made huge amounts of money from people that wanted access to them, that plus the pure monthly profit they will stop seeing in 20 months.....

Basically even offering LTS's says 'we dont believe in the long term success of this game'.

If this game lasts 5 years, they will end up losing millions in LTS's subs.

If the game falls off sharply and LTS players are most of the ones left in a year? They have no more income past that point. They pretty much have to be at least moderately successful now or they will see no long term income from the game. Its like they planned on it failing.

LTS = We plan on failing, IMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Better Than Season 0!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    TBH, the second i see a game is even offering LTS's i know theres a problem. In the future i would look at that with much more skeptisicm. Think about it, if it was going to be a legitimatly good game, they would have nothing to gain whatsoever from offering LTS's. They could have put all those items on the CStore and would have made huge amounts of money from people that wanted access to them, that plus the pure monthly profit they will stop seeing in 20 months.....

Basically even offering LTS's says 'we dont believe in the long term success of this game'.

If this game lasts 5 years, they will end up losing millions in LTS's subs.

If the game falls off sharply and LTS players are most of the ones left in a year? They have no more income past that point. They pretty much have to be at least moderately successful now or they will see no long term income from the game. Its like they planned on it failing.

LTS = We plan on failing, IMO.

Thing is, even well established MMOs have average subscription length of under a year.

Even if we extend the probable average subscription length of those who would be willing to buy an LTS to 1.5 years, and assuming that Cryptic takes no loss on the $10-per-month yearly subs (which would be ludicrous to offer if they did), then the LTS population should be a net win for Cryptic on average. Furthermore, that's definite money up front instead of possible money in the future, which means less debt and money lost to interest payments.

So, if the game is good enough to attract subscriptions beyond the LTs, it's a win, and LTs purchased over the lifetime of the game are also a probable win. If the game loses all population but the initial LT buyers... well, then it likely wouldn't have kept them anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This is all just basic human nature. People that are heavily invested in something will find reasons to defend that choice for as long as they can ignore that little voice in the back of their heads saying "You messed up".

It's no different than someone that talks about PS3/Xbox as the "best system evah". In reality, they're both really cool and have a ton of great games but if you only had enough money for one, you're more than likely going to try and defend it. Happens all the time. Inversely related to age as well I'd imagine.

I just canceled my subscription a few days ago and had really mixed feelings. I'm in the same boat as the OP, I want the game to be great and plan on checking in periodically, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that the foundation is simply too shakey to ever see something solid built on it. I got hosed on the cost of the game and first month's fee, but looking back, I'd have done it again, I'm just too big a Trek fan :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The thing of it all is, many people... not just a FEW naysayers here and there, but many people spoke out about the mistakes they were making during development/production, such as heavy instancing, and the decision to castrate klingon gameplay, etc etc. Do they listen? Yea, I guess so... now we're getting PAKLED as a playable race :rolleyes:[/B]

This is a great point and touches on the larger issue of general direction and forethought. There were at least 700 points (once a day for ~2 years) at which someone could have taken a step back and said, "Wait, what are we doing." but ostensibly that never happened. That's what it really boils down too. The Devs can pour their blood, sweat, and tears into this game (and no doubt many did) and it will all be rendered worthless if the people directing the game lack the ability to see the game's big picture.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    'K, I finished Cure.

...I think I'm done for the next 45 days.