test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is YOUR Opinion of Season 1? Time for people to come back or... ?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I haven't logged into STO for... hmm... maybe 2 weeks or something. Of course, I lied, I have logged in, but only to patch the client and not actually to play (for that time that may come for when I actually do want to play, I wont have to wait to DL).

So, I'm curious, how did the 45/52 day patch turn out which was presumably Season 1. What's your feedback?

It is a good time for people on the fence to return to STO and start their subs back up? Would love to hear your feedback. Just to clarify: I never "quit" STO... as I bought a lifetime sub... but I did stop playing because... well... I couldn't play for more than an hour at a time without getting bored
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yes , Its great, spectacular amazing even. Season 1 is fine, how are you?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Honestly I thought we would get a bit more than what we did.

I mean we got : respecs (should have been in at release imo)
    wargames
    2 fleet actions
    3 new skills
    off duty uniforms and new stances and hairstyles
    the new multi faction bar
    klingon ship customization and explore missions (havent checked this out myself)
    and the C-store stuff
    (did I miss anything?)

So yeah I would have thought there would be more
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't logged into STO for... hmm... maybe 2 weeks or something. Of course, I lied, I have logged in, but only to patch the client and not actually to play (for that time that may come for when I actually do want to play, I wont have to wait to DL).

So, I'm curious, how did the 45/52 day patch turn out which was presumably Season 1. What's your feedback?

It is a good time for people on the fence to return to STO and start their subs back up? Would love to hear your feedback.
    They succeeded in adding PvE Exploration missions for Klingons.
    Its upto the same standard as Federation Exploration missions.
    However it will suffer from the same issues, repetitive variations on a theme.
    No new functionality has been added.
    The STF's dont interest me at all.

I'd wait till Season 2. I'll be using that to finally decide whether to make or break playing STO. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll let you know when i get to Admiral.

Season 1 is only for power gamers and speed levelers. Doesnt really affect the rest of us. Though STFs dont interest me either, I could care less about Raids and Fleet Actions, I'd prefer more epic episodes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Season 1 is only for power gamers and speed levelers. Doesnt really affect the rest of us. Though STFs dont interest me either, I could care less about Raids and Fleet Actions, I'd prefer more epic episodes.

Ditto 10 char
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My opinion you say? Honestly?
    If you like the game the following is soley my opinion, i am happy you have a game you enjoy, my views do not reflect upon you in any way, they are only my personal opinion.

Season 1 was 90% bug fixes and fluff. The few things they did add are repetitive and boring. Killing 50000 dudes isnt any more fun than kililng 100000 dudes. Theres so much bad game design im pretty sure im not going to be able to avoid the nagging voice in my head telling me to stop giving money to a company that released the game in alpha and expects me to pay for it. Especially since theres so many much more polished, balanced, and fun games out there. I have honestly played free to play games that are better than STO and the Season One patch has done nothing whatsoever to address the glaring content, challenge, and game design issues that the game will in all likelyhood always have. If someone asked me if they should get the game i would tell them to wait for about a year, and ill sign up for a month to check it out and let em know.

I'm sorry if you do not agree with my opinon. It however was not meant to belittle anyone or anything in any way. This is my *personal* opinion of the game and the content patch. If you happen to enjoy the game, best of luck, i hope you enjoy it for a long time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you were on the fence before, and decided not to play, I honestly cant give you a reason to come back now.

Not that much really changed. Its still the same game for the most part.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe Season 2 will be better for the rest of the population that arent Hardcore Radiers or power levelers. The most improvements I've seen is off duty uniforms and new hairstyles. Yay.

Maybe they'll figure out to spread new content throughout the ranks instead of just pile on a bunch of stuff for the bored Power levelers who'll be leaving the game soon anyway for the next thing to power level through.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I should give the advice to still wait a little longer.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Maybe Season 2 will be better for the rest of the population that arent Hardcore Radiers or power levelers. The most improvements I've seen is off duty uniforms and new hairstyles. Yay.

Maybe they'll figure out to spread new content throughout the ranks instead of just pile on a bunch of stuff for the bored Power levelers who'll be leaving the game soon anyway for the next thing to power level through.

You say this, but then why are there so many RA's? This is not the type of game to keep 'hardcore power gamers' interested very long, yet there are more and more RA's. You see them in every sector, and not just one or 2, but many.

I know its anecdotal at best, but look at it objectively, somewhere, deep down in your gut, you know in your heart of hearts the game is pretty short by most standards.

Im glad that you are enjoying the game though. I just find your comment slightly insulting.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    im still enjoying the game so to me season 1 improved the game and is now a better game than 2 weeks ago

however if you quit because you where bored season 1 wont be that much of a difference. there is plenty more stuff due over the next few months (that is technically still part of season 1) so trying out season 2 around july might be a better option
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you were on the fence before, and decided not to play, I honestly cant give you a reason to come back now.

Not that much really changed. Its still the same game for the most part.

Well I should clarify... I bought a lifetime sub a LONG TIME ago banking on the notion that they were going to grow this game.

So technically, I still have an active sub... but in reality I've gone back to WoW and EVE (mostly EVE). I just thought I'd pop my head in and see how things were going.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    season 1 is a bit small form contentside (endcontent)

the first real milestone will be season 2 :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

My highest tune is Commander, and I reached that in the first week of gameplay. I consider myself by no means a power leveler. The only reason why I haven't advanced is because I realized how easy mode this game is, and how there really isn't much diversity to game play. So... in essence, I play very verry verrrry rarely, and as of 2 or 3 weeks ago, I haven't really played at all.

With this in mind... what do you mean "the rest of us"... the last time I was in game, it seemed like most people were working on their Second RA toon.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    You say this, but then why are there so many RA's? This is not the type of game to keep 'hardcore power gamers' interested very long, yet there are more and more RA's. You see them in every sector, and not just one or 2, but many.

I know its anecdotal at best, but look at it objectively, somewhere, deep down in your gut, you know in your heart of hearts the game is pretty short by most standards.

Im glad that you are enjoying the game though. I just find your comment slightly insulting.

I dont think the game is short at all, I've been playing since the Head Start and my main is only a Commander 7 and my next highest character is just Lt Cmdr 4. People just rush through the game too much them complain how easy/short it is. I never see enough RA's to figure the game is just too short, on the whole there are way more people in lower ranked ships.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My highest tune is Commander, and I reached that in the first week of gameplay. I consider myself by no means a power leveler. The only reason why I haven't advanced is because I realized how easy mode this game is, and how there really isn't much diversity to game play. So... in essence, I play very verry verrrry rarely, and as of 2 or 3 weeks ago, I haven't really played at all.

With this in mind... what do you mean "the rest of us"... the last time I was in game, it seemed like most people were working on their Second RA toon.

If that was your opinion of the game ( I happen to share it), it has not changed in the slightest. Consoles were nerfed a lil bit, power levels were nerfed a lil bit, thats it. Now you just need to have 2 EPS consoles instead of one to be more powerful than you were before thanks to the new skills.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I dont think the game is short at all, I've been playing since the Head Start and my main is only a Commander 7 and my next highest character is just Lt Cmdr 4. People just rush through the game too much them complain how easy/short it is. I never see enough RA's to figure the game is just too short, on the whole there are way more people in lower ranked ships.

How often do you play, and for how long each time?

I have to agree with SIthtoker, STO is easy mode. I'm Commander rank 1 or 2, and that's because I hardly EVER.PLAY. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lots of bug fixes, a few additional money grabbers (but nothing really of substance) in C-Store, some shiny things for lifers to spend 30 seconds getting bored with.... Plus a few other bits and bobs that gave me about a day of interest.

Season 2 might bring a little more, but I'd not hold my breath.

I'd give it another 12-18 months ( that is how much extra time I personally believe STO needed in development prior to release )..... Even then, I doubt they will have ironed out some of game engine driven issues ( it's my opinion that a massively over instanced game engine isn't suitable for this type of IP - not everyone agrees)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well like i say, my experience is of course only anecdotal. I am truely glad you enjoy the game. As a fan of rpg's in general, its my opinion that the game is too short. I really dont consider myself that much of a power gamer, maybe good at games but not like super hardcore or anything. Casual is a pretty wide demographic, someone can play every night and still be casual.

And of course, were all entitled to our opinions. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    How often do you play, and for how long each time?

I have to agree with SIthtoker, STO is easy mode. I'm Commander rank 1 or 2, and that's because I hardly EVER.PLAY.

I play for a couple hours every day or almost every day on my main and i usually take out my Lt Cmdr on Weekends for a couple hours on both days. I dont die much at all during missions, so i dont really loose time repeating parts of them.

Also i tend to run out of missions often and have to grind in a nebula before i get anymore available to me. So unless Im leaking tons of skill points into a black hole, which is causing me not to level up as fast as all the RAs claim they do, I can only logically conclude people are somehow rushing/power leveling through the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I play for a couple hours every day or almost every day on my main and i usually take out my Lt Cmdr on Weekends for a couple hours. I dont die much at all during missions, so i dont really loose time repeating parts of them.

Also i tend to run out of missions often and have to grind in a nebula before i get anymore available to me. So unless Im leaking tons of skill points into a black hole, which is causing me not to level up as fast as all the RAs claim they do, I can only logically conclude people are somehow rushing/power leveling through the game.

Oh dude, sometimes you wont actually get a mission unless you physically go to the questgiver. I never actually ran out of missions just doing them all once, A couple times on both my toons when i ran out i thought 'what gives' and had to go back to the giver. Might wanna check it out?

Edit: Are you doing the defend missions at least once also? For each sector?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I play for a couple hours every day or almost every day on my main and i usually take out my Lt Cmdr on Weekends for a couple hours on both days. I dont die much at all during missions, so i dont really loose time repeating parts of them.

It may be a bug friend, as I know from what a few others have told me, there are several instances where completing a mission doesn't always give you SP's. You may want to watch out. During my time going up to Commander, I've never had to grind in Nebula's so... maybe something is wrong...?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    Oh dude, sometimes you wont actually get a mission unless you physically go to the questgiver. I never actually ran out of missions just doing them all once, A couple times on both my toons when i ran out i thought 'what gives' and had to go back to the giver. Might wanna check it out?

Edit: Are you doing the defend missions at least once also? For each sector?
    It may be a bug friend, as I know from what a few others have told me, there are several instances where completing a mission doesn't always give you SP's. You may want to watch out. During my time going up to Commander, I've never had to grind in Nebula's so... maybe something is wrong...?

I wonder if I have that bug, is there anyway to get back credit for missions, i got bugged out of SP from? I consistently have to goto nebulas during the mid point of each rank because i run out of missions and i need a level to get more of them.

I do the patrols, but I skip the Defend missions, I really hate Fleet Actions and thats basically what those
    are, I try to stick to solo/duo-able missions.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I do the patrols, but I skip the Defend missions, I really hate Fleet Actions and thats basically what those are, I try to stick to solo/duo-able missions.

The defend missions are super easy to solo if you prefer, i like to run off by myself and kill stuf in those, doing those missions once is a decent amount of skillpoints, might be worth lookin into? (Also, if you just want them to go real fast and dont care about the combat or lewts, map change to one thats almost over and u'll get credit for it........) <
    using that tactic to actually level is a great way to ruin the game, only ever use if you just need a couple more skill points to fill out a level, the game was designed with the idea you would do every mission once to get to max. No i dont use this often, once or twice in order to finish a level in order to open up new missions, i woudl have done it anyway, it just woulda taken 30 min instead of 30 sec.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if I have that bug, is there anyway to get back credit for missions, i got bugged out of SP from? I consistently have to goto nebulas during the mid point of each rank because i run out of missions and i need a level to get more of them.

I do the patrols, but I skip the Defend missions, I really hate Fleet Actions and thats basically what those
    are, I try to stick to solo/duo-able missions.

To answer your other question, try actually going to the physical location of the questgiver and manually talking to them (dont use subspace communication, face to face.) If they have missions, you have the bug, they should still offer you low level missions you might not have done.

Also, keep in mind, leveling becomes much much quicker the second you hit DS9, you get tooooons more skillpoints, so we might be looking at that leveling curve issue. Talking to your latest main questgiver/patrol giver should determine the truth.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    To answer your other question, try actually going to the physical location of the questgiver and manually talking to them (dont use subspace communication, face to face.) If they have missions, you have the bug, they should still offer you low level missions you might not have done.

Also, keep in mind, leveling becomes much much quicker the second you hit DS9, you get tooooons more skillpoints, so we might be looking at that leveling curve issue. Talking to your latest main questgiver/patrol giver should determine the truth.

Thanks I'll have to try that, but I cant do +2 and up missions, my max is +1 so even if I get missions that are much higher level, i have to grind anyway to be able to handle them. Im in a Squishy Escort afterall.

I have to try that map change trick though, I really dont care about making the game easier for myself as other people do, i say bring on the easy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks I'll have to try that, but I cant do +2 and up missions, my max is +1 so even if I get missions that are much higher level, i have to grind anyway to be able to handle them. Im in a Squishy Escort afterall.

I have to try that map change trick though, I really dont care about making the game easier for myself as other people do, i say bring on the easy.

Are you using at least one EPS console? In regards to your pew pew.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    Are you using at least one EPS console? In regards to your pew pew.

I dont have a EPS console, I think my Engineering slot has a Shield buff console. EPS is really good?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I dont have a EPS console, I think my Engineering slot has a Shield buff console. EPS is really good?

Yes. However, since this doesnt relate to your lack of skillpoint issue in any way i will warn you. You will live longer and do far far far more dmg with just one eps, 2 makes you even stronger, this has the adverse side effect of making combat much shorter.

If you are happy with the current pace of combat, and your current survivability, do not, under any circumstances (save PvP or Fleet Actions) use a EPS console.

If on the other hand you wish to be able to do those +3 missions when you get them, and dont mind shortening the leveling process considerably (lets face it, 80% of leveling has to be combat), pick one up, its practically required at endgame its so good.

Edit: Sorry to derail ur thread Jacob, tryin to help a dude out. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SithToker wrote:
    Yes. However, since this doesnt relate to your lack of skillpoint issue in any way i will warn you. You will live longer and do far far far more dmg with just one eps, 2 makes you even stronger, this has the adverse side effect of making combat much shorter.

If you are happy with the current pace of combat, and your current survivability, do not, under any circumstances (save PvP or Fleet Actions) use a EPS console.

If on the other hand you wish to be able to do those +3 missions when you get them, and dont mind shortening the leveling process considerably (lets face it, 80% of leveling has to be combat), pick one up, its practically required at endgame its so good.

Edit: Sorry to derail ur thread Jacob, tryin to help a dude out. :)

Thanks! Sign me up! Im going to find as many EPS conduits as I can :D

Yes, what I can say, I dont play games for challenge, i play them for fun. (And I desperately want a Defiant Class)