test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Notification (March 27, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    STO is large and complex.

Its going to have bugs. Devs will fix them.

Until that happens, no sense whining, ****ing and moaning, making threats, or otherwise being unpleasant - it will not make the fixes happen any faster (and may in fact make them slower, if a Dev reads such things and has to walk away for a while).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's just TRIBBLE that it took them THIS long to simply observe and fess up to reality. And it's a shame how totally unsurprising their actions are.

If you had taken 5 minutes to read, you would realize they have been in constant communication with us regarding this.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I think they should have taken down the server....i was lucky enough to be stuck in B'Tran...so i could at least do some enemy encounters.....but downing the server prob would have been easier for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have to concur with most people on this thread. What is the point in leaving a game online if no one can reliably play. I am going on 4 hours of trying to play and nothing. I understand it is a weekend and people are out but neither my wife or I paid for a collector's edition and lifetime memberships for such a lax attitude when the game crashes. Not to be disrespectful but these reasons and what is going on right now is why most recent MMOs do not last and people go back to the dirty word of WOW
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sethan wrote: »
    STO is large and complex.

Its going to have bugs. Devs will fix them.

Until that happens, no sense whining, ****ing and moaning, making threats, or otherwise being unpleasant - it will not make the fixes happen any faster (and may in fact make them slower, if a Dev reads such things and has to walk away for a while).

On the contrary if people do not whine and complain then they are doing the worst thing they can as a consumer stand point. You might as well give me all your money then. You are paying for a service and expect to get a certain SLA. If the provider does not provide it then you are entitled to compensation.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am SO dissapointed, Dont you guys test this stuff first, we have lost game time, hope and all patience. Will we be refunded lost time from server crashes and downtime over the last few days? I think not! You are quick to take our money I was billed 11 days early and had the remainder of my game time taken from me, had i not noticed i would have lost that time. Sort it out, you are a major studio, with a major publisher with one of the biggest IP's of all time. Its a disgrace that it is becoming such a farce. It reminds me of Hellgate London, thats how that started its path to the end, in a similar fashion. As player and customers we expect better service, if this were a television I would have taken it back and bought a new one.. so why should this be any diffferent becuase its a game.? Two words, Customer Satisfaction, we pay your bills, your mortgages, your devs, we pay for the servers without us there is no game, please try to remember that. You are already pushing the limit with lack of high end content, poorly written dialogue and so many bugs we cant count them all. You are charging for more player slots and new bridges, when what you should be doing is building a solid fanbase and loyalty, and delivering it at the highest standard. I have had my say, I will stick with you as I live in hope that you will listen to the community that has started to grow, but I would also add that myself and I am sure plenty of others are growing impatient, and want to see change. Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ZackMaibas wrote: »
    actually there is a testserver... you can activate it via your acount on the website

where in the account?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well just so everyone knows the tribble server is up and is working ..........lmao the testing one works but not the one we all have paid for...........nah that one doesn't work ..........what a joke .....just call the cleaning people in early so they can trip over the cord for the holo serverand take down....... and then we wouldn't have to be in the forums complaining about it being up but unplayable
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Profeus wrote:
    On the contrary if people do not whine and complain then they are doing the worst thing they can as a consumer stand point. You might as well give me all your money then. You are paying for a service and expect to get a certain SLA. If the provider does not provide it then you are entitled to compensation.

I agree, it's a self forthfilling prophecy, which goes both ways, prob the Devs and other hard workers are bummed out about this as well, I imagine there will be a very early crisis meeting coming up on the agenda's off all heads of department for this coming monday morning 08:00 o'clock.

1 suggestion for that meeting; Devs and other employees who care for STO or their professional ethics, make ur stand then and there, use our complaints (whining) as ammunition/leverage too keep this from happening again!

If not for ur love of STO or out of ethics, do it too keep ur job, otherwise people will dump STO and Cryptic will take a serious hit in consumer confidence...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    adwynyth wrote: »
    THEY. DO. NOT. HAVE. A. FIX. YET.

Taking it down now accomplishes nothing except irritating the people who might actually be having no problems right now. No way of knowing whether that's 1% or 99%.
    Pointless to tell us when they're going to apply the fix, then.

Either they have a fix and are waiting until 3 a.m. PDT to apply it, or they don't have a fix and are blowing smoke up our asses about planning to apply a fix at 3 a.m.

Vaporware.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Next time you decide to drop servers could you do a count down instead of just saying in the next 5 minutes the server will be going down, kind of annoying when you're half way through a fight only for it to go down.

Also whats happened to the devs timing, all of a sudden its dropped backed to PST with no GMT mentioned.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    FurianNL wrote: »
    I agree, it's a self forthfilling prophecy, which goes both ways, prob the Devs and other hard workers are bummed out about this as well, I imagine there will be a very early crisis meeting coming up on the agenda's off all heads of department for this.

1 suggestion for that meeting; Devs and other employees who care for STO or their professional ethics, make ur stand then and their, use our whining as ammunition too keep this from happening again!

That is exactly true, the "Look at what the Players are saying" stance should be powerful ammunition in a games studio as after all we are the bread and butter...

There should be repercussions, this is a business afterall and it has a service to deliver, and to be in what is an outage on a Saturday night primetime in any media sector is UNACCEPTABLE.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    None of it matters for many of us because they still don't have a fix (according to the post above) for those of us who got de-leveled and even if they fix the maps and fix PvP, the hundreds+ affected are still out. Maybe they should take the whole game down and figure out what's going on and FIX it because all that's happened by leaving the game up all day is more people have been affected and more issues and bugs have popped up, slowing down progress on fixing all of the issues...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    g0b0ts wrote: »
    Even SOE couldn't TRIBBLE up a patch this much :P I'm kidding... maybe.

I bet they could
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its isn't 3am PST yet sooooo that was a crash?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am SO disappointed with STO!!! Why would you do a maintenance on one of the busiest day of the week and especially the weekend?!? Cryptic where is your thumb? I got a few ideas where it is at but I know it is not on the pulse of the community. Why would you shut down the server for 2 freakin hours during prime time gameplay?

Cryptic=Fail
    STO=Fail
    Shutting down the server on a Saturday night=Priceless!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Profeus wrote:

Sure, you can expect a certain SLA (Service Level Agreement)...

...but generally, such an agreement has to exist for your expectations to be reasonable.

Is there a Service Level Agreement document somewhere from Cryptic, that specifies the servers will be up and available, and the game will be playable some specific percentage of the time?

Does it contain remedies for customers if they don't hit those targets?

Can you post a link to that document? I'm sure everyone would like to see it.

If no such document exists, then anything more than just reporting the bugs becomes pointless whining.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    THANK YOU FOR LISTENING CRYPTIC!!! you finally took the servers down.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm in it for the long haul.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    go on the tribel server have fun

Won't ?

The 'What?' Server?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Aye down it goes
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They shut it down because of the PvP and loading issues, dont say the community didnt ask, look at the first page or so of this thread!

Thank you GMs for working on it NOW instead of in the morning, now we might get some play time when it comes back up
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Won't ?

The 'What?' Server?

It is the test server
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    SF_D.STEEL wrote:
    I am SO disappointed with STO!!! Why would you do a maintenance on one of the busiest day of the week and especially the weekend?!? Cryptic where is your thumb? I got a few ideas where it is at but I know it is not on the pulse of the community. Why would you shut down the server for 2 freakin hours during prime time gameplay?

Cryptic=Fail
    STO=Fail
    Shutting down the server on a Saturday night=Priceless!!
    Dude, there was issues with the game, It was almost unplayable. Why keep the server running if they could take it down and fix the issue now?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    thetome wrote:
    New message that they are performing emergency maintenance. All the whining may have paid off.

Still...

LOL @ lifers

Who, if the darned game lasts 2 years, will be laughing right backatcha, if you're still playing and they won't be paying ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Profeus wrote:
    That's a lot of periods. Is it that time?

Tribble's up, just go on there for now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    FurianNL wrote: »
    I agree, it's a self forthfilling prophecy, which goes both ways, prob the Devs and other hard workers are bummed out about this as well, I imagine there will be a very early crisis meeting coming up on the agenda's off all heads of department for this.

1 suggestion for that meeting; Devs and other employees who care for STO or their professional ethics, make ur stand then and their, use our whining as ammunition too keep this from happening again!

I don't think that there are individuals that don't care about their product at Cryptic I am sure this is an unforeseen incident. This is the weekend and they probably have a skeleton crew to manage this type of incident. I am sure peoples cell phones have been off the hook. Saying OMG we have an issue. I don't think they would wait till Monday to fix something like this. It does take time however. They are doing their best and will get things returned to norm. I just wish they would compensate their users for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Umrathama wrote: »
    It is the test server

I know what it is - i just don't expect it to be spelt like that.

It's Tribble, not Tribel.

Sarcasm is lost on people sometimes ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    waaa waaa waaa - you babies!
    What did you do before STO?

This is no doubt, a very complicated application. They have many developers, each working on different aspects. One change in this code stream can cause unexpected issues in an unrelated block that hasn't been looked at in months.

Give these guys a break... it's not easy to continuously change an application as intricate as STO.

We're lucky they have employees who can work on Saturday nights to try and help get this needle in a haystack tracked down.

Chill. Get another slice, or two, of pizza and relax your mouse clicking fingers... you'll be hammering away again tomorrow (or sooner) if these guys are lucky.

If you think it's easy to code MMO applications, you have no idea. We don't want these people fired and we don't want STO pulled cause it's considered a failure. Dang, it's only been a month. Look how long it's taken Microsoft to make Windows... whoops, they still don't have that perfect... hmmmm. Well, anyway... give these guys a break.

my two cents
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am with SpudBoi....perhaps since I am older I have more patience, I can deal with delayed gratification from a game and not act like its the end of my life.....I have half a million other things I can do...my entire well being doesnt rest on one single computer game...it rests on TWO computer games...Mass Effect2....here I come :D
This discussion has been closed.