Install Arc

error 14

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
getting this error 14 for the last 15 minutes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Oh TRIBBLE! The holodeck's self destruct sequencing code has been initiated!!!!

:eek: Sorry, Can you post more information about this?
    edited February 2010
    the launcher does about 7% of the undate then (connection to server is lost restart in 5)
    edited February 2010
    still getting the same thing.....updates to 7.8% then iam disconnetde from server with the error 14 message
    edited February 2010
    I get stuck also on patching

:(

i have submitted a tech ticket about this.

FreejackeR -out.
    edited February 2010
    me too, thank god I thought it was just me. Has anyone contacted support yet on what to do?
    edited February 2010
    It means your connection to the server has been interrupted. Make sure you aren't using wireless or some other unreliable connection.
    edited February 2010
    not yet
    STO wont patch.... same error 14 .... and i only get .3% done since im having to reinstall it ... maybe its the same file?

And No its not a usb connection
    edited February 2010
    Any of you guys using USB for your network connection?
    edited February 2010
    Milodron wrote: »
    not yet
    STO wont patch.... same error 14 .... and i only get .3% done since im having to reinstall it ... maybe its the same file?

And No its not a usb connection

USB from a cablemodem or dsl modem? Really just trying to make sure you're not using something like satelite or a tethered cellphone.
    edited February 2010
    i have been experiencing the same issue i am on dsl and since there new patch on friday
    February 19th I went to connect to startrek online and it started downloading the latest patch this was at about 8pm eastern time. it got to about 75% and then stopped and timed out I also was then not able to access anything else on the internet I couldn't even ping out so I thought perhaps it was a problem with my isp we restarted my dsl modem and the internet worked fine I then tried to connect to star trek online and again it started to download the patch and again my internet connection stopped working I then called my isp and we again restarted the dsl modem and they had me run a number of tests and traceroutes and had me do a continuous ping to a ip address and then had me start up the startrek online and as soon as it started to download the patch the pinging stop and the isp was like well looks like its star trek online patch server thats doing something to kill the connection or over load it or something.
    edited February 2010
    I'm wondering if it's killing the NIC or something on the computer? I haven't seen this problem myself, but I haven't played since like Monday so idk if I'll see it too or not.
    edited February 2010
    I, am not using a USB connection.

Still recieveing same error code... Ran the patcher 2x got disconnected 2x.

I don't see how my connection is unreliable and I, am still playing Modern Warfare 2.

My connection is not getting dropped..

Everything was running smooth and fine till that update on the 19th.

My connection goes directly into the wall to the modem from the modem into the NIC on my computer.
    edited February 2010
    Try hard setting your NIC from auto negotiation to 100 FULL or 10 FULL if that doesn't work.
    edited February 2010
    How do you do that ?. :confused:
    edited February 2010
    Try hard setting your NIC from auto negotiation to 100 FULL or 10 FULL if that doesn't work.

hello,
    I tried that it didn't work for me. :(
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting a feeling that some of these modems can't handle the connections for the patcher, but not sure until I get a packet capture to see what it looks like before it dies.
    edited February 2010
    O.O i'm getting the feeling still its 100% Cryptic. No Pun intended but this is getting to be silly.

I get patch's from time to time from STEAM for Modern Warfare 2..... I don't have trouble's with there patching client.

I didn't have troubles with Cryptic's patching client till the 19th of Feburary.

Too add to it STEAM's patch client even updated Modern Warfare 2 last night. I'm still playing it.
    edited February 2010
    trekkinit wrote:
    O.O i'm getting the feeling still its 100% Cryptic. No Pun intended but this is getting to be silly.

The patcher works fine on three systems at my place and on Comcast cable - I think it's cheap modems/routers that can't handle the connections and/or ISPs that traffic shape.

I've seen a lot of people online and not many people in IRC have been reporting issues, it floods there when it is global.

I think Cryptic can adjust the patcher so it limits the connections it makes to help prevent overloading these low end modems.
    edited February 2010
    Update:

I have uninstalled STO from my PC then reinstalled it now am stuck at ST.0.20100217c.2.

few heads up here

Am using Win XP serverpack 3
    Using Cable modem etherneted to my Linksys router cabled to my PC (both have been restarted over and over again to no avail)
    Virgin internet (connection is solid and no issues reported with Internet sevices on there connection page also was solid 400kb per second download when updating drivers today from Nvidia and the connection works for AVP mutliplayer with less than 30 ping)
    Hve updated tech support ticket.
    still getting error 14.

this appears to be issue with Cryptic servers/update servers since friday 5pm before Friday connection was perfect and worked 100% CB/OB and HD and Launch.

Am a lifetime sub here and also Cryptic can check my account of all my purchases for this game but nope no work since patching attempt on friday at 5pm GMT, or reinstal.

Any announcement on this would be welcomed or checking on this would be appreciated.

FreejackeR -out.
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting a feeling that some of these modems can't handle the connections for the patcher, but not sure until I get a packet capture to see what it looks like before it dies.

sounds about right to me thank you for the update.
    edited February 2010
    IF this were me having the problem, I'd start with watching my network traffice to see what's getting lost..... How I'd do that well, start here: do a google search for wireshark, download it and install. it's a packet sniffing appliaction. what you use if for is to look at the network traffic to and from your computer to see if/what/where the packets are getting lost.
    edited February 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    It means your connection to the server has been interrupted. Make sure you aren't using wireless or some other unreliable connection.

sorry but im on wire internet and have no prob with any other game. this prob started friday and im a life time sub member ,and all the info im getting is cryptic side.

ive unistaled and re instaled and same thing i get to the patch and get the error 14 code but my speed on the net is just fine!
    edited February 2010
    I am on a cable modem connection through an ethernet cable through a router that hasnt had ANY trouble with STO patches until this last patch. I had to reinstall due to a HD failure and the ST.0.20100217c.2 will NOT download to patch the retail version of the game. I have tried everything possible. But my connection has NOT changed. Something either AT Cryptic or INBETWEEN me and Cryptic is causing the problem.

Now if my "cheap" modem is to blame it hasnt been failing on any of the previous patches that Cryptic has released from start of OB til this last patch. So from a troubleshooting standpoint SOMETHING changed when they did this last patch.

If there was an alternate way to dload the patch so it can be manually done would be very helpful. Or simply a series of patches instead of a huge lump sum patch.
    edited February 2010
    still having the same problem....
    edited February 2010
    See if manually setting you network adapter to 10 full slows down the patching enough to not lock up your modem.

That has worked for one person here and several on other game forums. You can watch the patching process by hitting the X key once you login. Take a look at the top left corner at the x/100 number. See if it is spiking above 30 to 100/100 when you modem crashes.

If you do a lot of local file transfers you'll want to bump the nic back up to auto or 100 full when you are done patching or if it doesn't help.
    edited February 2010
    arobe wrote: »
    ive unistaled and re instaled and same thing i get to the patch and get the error 14 code but my speed on the net is just fine!

Unfortunately there are very few individuals having this issue; so it is more likely a connection issue on their end and not on Cryptic's end (not saying it couldn't be, just saying that it is not likely).

When you log into the patcher, press "C" and report what the console tells you.

EDIT: Wont be back for a few hours, sorry.
    edited February 2010
    USSWasabi wrote:
    Unfortunately there are very few individuals having this issue; so it is more likely a connection issue on their end and not on Cryptic's end (not saying it couldn't be, just saying that it is not likely).

When you log into the patcher, press "C" and report what the console tells you.

EDIT: Wont be back for a few hours, sorry.

thanks for this ( "C" console / connection info).

this is the info I get:

PatchClientLib: connection to patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255
    PatchClientLib: Redirecting to 208.95.184.164:7255
    PatchClientLib: skipping uneeded autoupdate CrypticLancherST
    PatchClientLib: Successfully Connectied
    PatchClientLib: xferrer hanging, 31s now
    PatchClientLib: xferrer hanging, 61s now
    PatchClientLib: unexpectedly disconnected
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 10
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 9
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 8
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 7
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 6
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 5
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 4
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 3
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 2
    Error14: The connection to the server was lost. Restarting in 1

So looks like connection issue with the patch server and not my connection to the internet.

FreejackeR -out.
    edited February 2010
    yep i had that hanging thing to for 51 seconds one other time and got tossed off the internet.

See if manually setting you network adapter to 10 full slows down the patching enough to not lock up your modem. <
    ok how do you set your network adapter like so ???.
    edited February 2010
    I am a little dismayed we havent heard more from cryptic on this, this is an issue affecting many of us, if the patcher wont work they should make the updated files available somehow and release them as a download, hopefully that will bypass the updating process and allow us to get into the freakin game.
    edited February 2010
    been getting the same thing eferrer ....again again and again....
This discussion has been closed.