test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it illegal to buy credits from gold farmers?

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    It's just freaking stupid! And the more you buy from em the more the idiots will spam in game and mail. I hope they just ban all of em.
    edited February 2010
    No matter what anyone thinks, gold selling is terrible for any MMO. The only MMO that fully managed to fight it is EvE online. This is due to the fact you can legally sell game time cards for in game currency. This is actually a secure transaction that's done through their server.

Combine this with the fact that activly hunting gold farmers is completly acceptible as a passtime in EVE, and they're not a horribly imbalancing aspect of the game.
    edited February 2010
    But that whole Eve solution is a bunch of bunk. All it does it make how much spend and automated farming.

Ths is just not a fun game im sorry that's stupid. Find gold sellers and shoot them.Plan and simple. All they deserve is a last cigarette and a blindfold.;)
    edited February 2010
    Child labour is an awesome thing. You can pack more of them in to your small premesis with smaller laptops, they don't eat much and don't demand much money.

They don't operate that much out of china anymore as the government there is cracking down, South Korea is the gold farmer hotspot now.

Just think, if you don't buy any credits, those little hungry Korens won't get any noodles! :eek:

The so called crack down was China putting an end to these operations running without their involvement and permission to do and helping themselves to a lot of the money it brings in to the country. Gold farming is very much alive and thriving in China due to the currency exchange rate and China doing everything it can to make sure it remains so. These gold farming companies have loads of servers setup outside of China to proxy with. They're still the main source of gold farming spam.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, I figured so much, I have no intentions in buying any credits but with all the spamming in my inbox I had to ask.

So why is this then allowed, how do these people come buy all these credits for sale.

Also does this damage the game at all, from a game play point of view? I mean if someone is willing to take there hard earned real money to buy credits for STO is that really bad for the STO economy. I would think not because there would be more in game purchases?

question is how do gold farmers acquire the credits, if it's done illegally then this is really bad.

The simple answer is they don't. What they are after is your account or your real money. They will not give you energy credits in game and often you'll see them advertise powerlvling for a price as well. Ignorant people run to them and expect that they will be reputable but actually what is happening is you''re just giving away your account to them because they will log in and change your password and steal anything of value you have and then use your account to spam some more. OR you'll send them your credit card info or money in whatever method they specify and they WILL NOT send you in game credits and instead steal your identity or run up outrageous charges with your credit info.

It's a scam man stay away from it. Plus it's a violation of EULA and banable to do so.

Credits are SUPER easy to get in this game. There is absolutely no reason to WASTE real money on a sketchy operation that could end up costing you your identity, your money, AND your account.
    edited February 2010
    Zathurus wrote: »
    Gold sellers existing brings up another point, if they are selling so much, where are they getting it.

And how do they get it so fast, those are exploits that could be closed, and easily show who is doing it, if that was the goal.

So either they are not selling that much, or it is very visible and could be stopped easily.

If they are not selling that much, then there proportion of chat space, (if spamming does happen, it doesn't not happen after a few right click ignores on my client, I see very little spam when playing. Although that could be because of multiple zones.)

If only a few buy gold, the few are being catered to, if many are buying gold, then it is being allowed without admitting it, or it is stoppable since there would have to be many farmers that are very visible, and trades are also visible.

So although I see almost no spam after right clicking, if other people are seeing it, it seems to be a motivational issue, not a technical issue. Or zone segmentation.

And if it wrecks economy, then it would be not in the long term prospects of the game to do so.

There needs to be an economy to wreck. And an Economy would have consistent prices for all items. Instead you have the exact same blue or greens going for either 30000 or 5000. Huge difference price for the same item. Once things become consistent, then you have an economy to wreck. Give it a few months.
    edited February 2010
    Beware all Ferengi merchants...

" BIG KISS"
    edited February 2010
    Second Life is something completely different from your standard MMORPG, or game for that matter.

Eve does the same thing and its doing fine

Also these forum suck and don't let you pyramid quote.
    edited February 2010
    Well.. My brother buys gold from WoW often (sadly). He ends up with more account security issues than anyone else I know.
    edited February 2010
    Ulasim wrote: »
    Eve does the same thing and its doing fine

Also these forum suck and don't let you pyramid quote.

all "mmo" do the same. I hate to be part of those who say " its al part of.." but sad; this time it is
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, so what's Cryptic's policy on buying credits from gold farmers? is this illegal or does cryptic welcome additional funds to the sto economy.

I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my account and it's standings.

Looks like this gold farming has become a huge business as there are hundreds of these sites supporting all the mmo's currencies.

Against TOS. Not illegal criminally or anything, but thwey can take your account away and ban your computer from creating a new account.
    edited February 2010
    There was a interesting documentary made about gold-farming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5Yxe6UVv4

That's part one, you can find the other parts there as well.

If you want to get a look at how the gold farmers operate (circa 2005/2006), I would suggest watching that movie.
    edited February 2010
    The problem with being able to trade in-game money for real money is that it creates an incentive to play the game aggressively just to make real-world cash. This means hundreds of people will play the game constantly just to make as much in-game cash as possible to sell it. This influx of in-game cash distorts the economy and causes hyper-inflation, leading to beginning players needing more cash if they want to participate, leading to more gold-selling.

To give you an analogy, imagine if us in the real world were actually characters in some game. If my player could spend $10 to get me a 10 million dollars, of course he would. I'd be a lot more fun with 10 million dollars. But then, how much fun do my neighbors have when they look at me? And how do my neighbors afford groceries when 100 folks like me are willing to pay $10 for a loaf of bread?
    edited February 2010
    FreyarH wrote: »
    Well.. My brother buys gold from WoW often (sadly). He ends up with more account security issues than anyone else I know.

He'd have less if you turned him in.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, so what's Cryptic's policy on buying credits from gold farmers? is this illegal or does cryptic welcome additional funds to the sto economy.

I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my account and it's standings.

Looks like this gold farming has become a huge business as there are hundreds of these sites supporting all the mmo's currencies.

Anything that encourages these low lifes to continue farming to sell to lazy people is not a good idea. The game is about the experience not about buying the best gear as early as possible to have an easy ride. That leads to boredom real quick.
    edited February 2010
    I probably wouldn't mind it as long as the buyer automatically gets a visible title above their character's head that says, "Loser" and you can't remove or toggle it off. This special title would appear on all of the characters in the account. The title would also appear in the chats. The ability of full impulse and sprinting would also be disabled permanently.
    edited February 2010
    The problem is down to greed, mostly on the part of players. In any game where the player can set the price for an item, they can run the exchange/auction hall whatever.

Look at the exchange right now.. You can pick any item, and the price can fluctuate from 1500 to 50000.

I've been on games where the item sellers will organise rmts so the player can buy their items.

Don't blame the chineese/koreans. Blame the players.

Regarding sweatshops, check all your clothing. Wearing anything made in china/korea? You are supporting them whether you know it or not. Everything in those economies goes thru some for of sweatshop.
    edited February 2010
    It also encourages them to continue. Which is bad, mmmkay..?
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Exhibit A of why we have to deal with gold farmers.

Some players are scum.

You smell of urine and overcooked cabbage. So there :p. Infantile silly person.
    madjik wrote: »
    /sigh

More proof that Gold Sellers are the MOB of the gaming industry.

It would be more amusing if they were. I can imagine them with italian accents :D
    Capsilus wrote:
    I wish i could put a bounty on your head in STO

Me too! It would give STO some substance and a little more playability.
    RickKnight wrote:
    Not us. When we saw the White Wookies on Dant, we'd aggro as many beasties as we coudl and drag em right through their groups. They usu only had one or two actual players, the rest were afk lvl 1's on autofollow. Got called a few things that I'm sure would have offended me if I'd understood them LOL

The farmers I always saw in SWG had 2 characters, and like you say, just the level 5's on auto follow. Bless them.
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »
    actually, I am quite happy not knowing or caring who makes my stuff, I have my own problems to worry about

I agree with them! :eek: Child Labour = Good. It builds character. :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    thevedis wrote: »
    it is not "illegal" by normal terms

but it is against the policies of these games to do it

so yuo can get banned for selling or buying currency for real life money

Actually, when you consider legal binding agreements (like the ones you agree to and e-sign when you make an account, subscribe, and log in) it is "illegal" by all terms
    edited February 2010
    No, it is not ok.
    We have been actively closing down the accounts of people we catch advertising resource selling.
    You do not want to end up a part of this space dragon's wrath.
This discussion has been closed.