test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it illegal to buy credits from gold farmers?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    is there no way to legally shut down there sites? I'm sure cryptic has the funds to take these prikolas to court and crush them with one blow.

Or even a few mmo companies banning together should be able to take these guys down. :)
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    is there no way to legally shut down there sites? I'm sure cryptic has the funds to take these ****** to court and crush them with one blow.

Or even a few mmo companies banning together should be able to take these guys down. :)

It's international law, dude. China isn't going to respect the EULA of an American company.
    edited February 2010
    Shingi wrote:
    simple

dont buy from them, dont ever pay over the odds on the exchange, report every spam you get either by PM (right click, report spam) or in your inbox (in game has a report spam function, the forum side desperately needs it) and let the devs and GM's take it from there.

not much more we can do as players, just keep ourselves and our own prices on the exchange honest and let the company do what they can to get rid of as many of them as they can

Actually, there is one more thing players can do, which even the more serious anti-RMT people hesitate at:

Report the people you know who buy from them.

It's amazing the number of people who somehow manage to rationalize the behavior when it's someone they know, or someone in their fleet.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, so what's Cryptic's policy on buying credits from gold farmers? is this illegal or does cryptic welcome additional funds to the sto economy.

I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my account and it's standings.

Looks like this gold farming has become a huge business as there are hundreds of these sites supporting all the mmo's currencies.

You'd be a giant fool to buy credits from farmers.

Its what $15 for 100k haha.

whatever. Even if it was $15 for a 1mil it would be too much.
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    It's international law, dude. China isn't going to respect the EULA of an American company.

Tehehehe, most of the world would not respect the EULA of any games company. :D
    edited February 2010
    NO CHILD LABOR???

Who will make my Nike's and sew the Popped collars onto my shirts i get from the banana republic???
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    is there no way to legally shut down there sites? I'm sure cryptic has the funds to take these prikolas to court and crush them with one blow.

No. Fraid there isn't for every one they would take down, 10 more would spring up. Only the players can fight this menace, and by doing it exactly as Shingi stated.

There are various things Cryptic can do to help, and I've been told that they are working on it. So it's just a matter of time and patience.
    edited February 2010
    madjik wrote: »
    No. Fraid there isn't for every one they would take down, 10 more would spring up. Only the players can fight this menace, and by doing it exactly as Shingi stated.

There are various things Cryptic can do to help, and I've been told that they are working on it. So it's just a matter of time and patience.

Credit farmers are quite lucrative, even when you don't buy from them.

I had a city in SWG, the credit farmers used to hang around my mission terminals collecting missions and gaining cash.

I asked them to leave, and we ended up brokering a deal. They paid me 2 Million credits to let them stay for 24 hours in the city and not report them until then. Alls fair in business. They got their time and I got my money. :D
    edited February 2010
    DES_SNIPER wrote: »
    NO CHILD LABOR???

Who will make my Nike's and sew the Popped collars onto my shirts i get from the banana republic???

Come on man, you can't really be pro child labor? I understand that we all support the industry unknowingly but it's out right wrong.

I know people that go really out of there way to only buy products that are produces through fair labor but it usually costs 3 times the price. :(
    edited February 2010

I had a city in SWG, the credit farmers used to hang around my mission terminals collecting missions and gaining cash.

I asked them to leave, and we ended up brokering a deal. They paid me 2 Million credits to let them stay for 24 hours in the city and not report them until then. Alls fair in business. They got their time and I got my money. :D

Exhibit A of why we have to deal with gold farmers.

[edit]

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
    edited February 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    the prices these guys are offering for energy is ridiculous anyway. 100k energy for 10 bucks? i've got 1 million energy after a few days of normal playing. lmao.

WTF am I doing wrong then? LOL
    edited February 2010

/sigh

More proof that Gold Sellers are the MOB of the gaming industry.
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Actually, since neither you nor the company selling credits is paying tax, I rather suspect that laws *are* being broken...

Actually in China they make so much money from selling game money to the west, the Chinese government introduced special tax rate for these company's, I think it's 5% more tax they have to pay.
    edited February 2010

I wish i could put a bounty on your head in STO
    edited February 2010
    A Thought occurs. Why not make transfer of funds between players impossible? So you can only switch cash between players by the exchange?

Then if you remove the ability of the buyer to tell whom the seller is, it becomes harder to switch cash about. And it also means that any Large items show up (seeing a MKI Phaser bank being sold for a couple of mil repeatedly to one person will give the game away.
    edited February 2010

Not us. When we saw the White Wookies on Dant, we'd aggro as many beasties as we coudl and drag em right through their groups. They usu only had one or two actual players, the rest were afk lvl 1's on autofollow. Got called a few things that I'm sure would have offended me if I'd understood them LOL
    edited February 2010
    BTW RMT's ruin games if they gain control of the economy. They first start with the auction house and then once they gain control of that it is all over for the game. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!
    edited February 2010
    BTW RMT's ruin games if they gain control of the economy. They first start with the auction house and then once they gain control of that it is all over for the game. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN!!!!!!

Though I agree with you, it should be noted that would be very difficult for them to do in STO. There are so many different means of gaining equipment in this game that the exchange can easily be avoided if you choose too. I only visit the exchange to sell random loot drops as an example. I get all my equipment from exploration badges.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Come on man, you can't really be pro child labor? I understand that we all support the industry unknowingly but it's out right wrong.

I know people that go really out of there way to only buy products that are produces through fair labor but it usually costs 3 times the price. :(

actually, I am quite happy not knowing or caring who makes my stuff, I have my own problems to worry about
    edited February 2010
    madjik wrote: »
    Though I agree with you, it should be noted that would be very difficult for them to do in STO. There are so many different means of gaining equipment in this game that the exchange can easily be avoided if you choose too. I only visit the exchange to sell random loot drops as an example. I get all my equipment from exploration badges.

exploration is the best way to go,

credits, XP, badges,and loot drops...what more could you ask for
    edited February 2010
    Actually what a lot of people are saying is pretty outdated.

It is currently in legal limbo on who actually owns your characters, items and other digital assets in a MMO. Right now, the company who made and run the game owns everything you have in the game. All you're paying for is the right to use the account and said assets within it. This is being challenged in courts however since using the account is seen as "labor" and labor should earn said assets. Keep in mind though, in the EULA somewhere it states the company owns what you do.

With that being said, selling or buying in game assets with real life money is illegal by contract therefore by law.

A lot of these "farmers" actually don't farm anymore. They have you go to their site and make you enter your account name and password (or download a keylogger etc). They take over your account (hack if you will) and steal all your assets. Then they turn around make a fake character on your account and use it to sell. Pure profit with no loss since the player is the one that losses everything. Then they repeat the cycle.

No matter what anyone thinks, gold selling is terrible for any MMO. The only MMO that fully managed to fight it is EvE online. This is due to the fact you can legally sell game time cards for in game currency. This is actually a secure transaction that's done through their server.
    edited February 2010
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    the prices these guys are offering for energy is ridiculous anyway. 100k energy for 10 bucks? i've got 1 million energy after a few days of normal playing. lmao.
    Damn,If you have that many,maybe you should sell some for real money.:D
    edited February 2010
    Actually what a lot of people are saying is pretty outdated.

It is currently in legal limbo on who actually owns your characters, items and other digital assets in a MMO. Right now, the company who made and run the game owns everything you have in the game. All you're paying for is the right to use the account and said assets within it. This is being challenged in courts however since using the account is seen as "labor" and labor should earn said assets. Keep in mind though, in the EULA somewhere it states the company owns what you do.

With that being said, selling or buying in game assets with real life money is illegal by contract therefore by law.

A lot of these "farmers" actually don't farm anymore. They have you go to their site and make you enter your account name and password (or download a keylogger etc). They take over your account (hack if you will) and steal all your assets. Then they turn around make a fake character on your account and use it to sell. Pure profit with no loss since the player is the one that losses everything. Then they repeat the cycle.

No matter what anyone thinks, gold selling is terrible for any MMO. The only MMO that fully managed to fight it is EvE online. This is due to the fact you can legally sell game time cards for in game currency. This is actually a secure transaction that's done through their server.

also second life found a way to stop the gold sellers and they opened their own RMT company to allow users to trade in their cash for real money.
    edited February 2010
    also second life found a way to stop the gold sellers and they opened their own RMT company to allow users to trade in their cash for real money.

That would totally ruin this game. It would have the same effect as selling rare gear in the C-Store.
    edited February 2010
    Pay them in Monopoly money. I'm sure Cryptic will encourage the ripping off of gold farmers.
    edited February 2010

Second Life is something completely different from your standard MMORPG, or game for that matter.
    edited February 2010
    Gold sellers existing brings up another point, if they are selling so much, where are they getting it.

And how do they get it so fast, those are exploits that could be closed, and easily show who is doing it, if that was the goal.

So either they are not selling that much, or it is very visible and could be stopped easily.

If they are not selling that much, then there proportion of chat space, (if spamming does happen, it doesn't not happen after a few right click ignores on my client, I see very little spam when playing. Although that could be because of multiple zones.)

If only a few buy gold, the few are being catered to, if many are buying gold, then it is being allowed without admitting it, or it is stoppable since there would have to be many farmers that are very visible, and trades are also visible.

So although I see almost no spam after right clicking, if other people are seeing it, it seems to be a motivational issue, not a technical issue. Or zone segmentation.

And if it wrecks economy, then it would be not in the long term prospects of the game to do so.
    edited February 2010
    Zathurus wrote: »
    Gold sellers existing brings up another point, if they are selling so much, where are they getting it.

And how do they get it so fast, those are exploits that could be closed, and easily show who is doing it, if that was the goal.

So either they are not selling that much, or it is very visible and could be stopped easily.

If they are not selling that much, then there proportion of chat space, (if spamming does happen, it doesn't not happen after a few right click ignores on my client, I see very little spam when playing. Although that could be because of multiple zones.)

If only a few buy gold, the few are being catered to, if many are buying gold, then it is being allowed without admitting it, or it is stoppable since there would have to be many farmers that are very visible, and trades are also visible.

So although I see almost no spam after right clicking, if other people are seeing it, it seems to be a motivational issue, not a technical issue. Or zone segmentation.

And if it wrecks economy, then it would be not in the long term prospects of the game to do so.

Exploits or TRIBBLE accounts typically. Some might be farming things like fleet action 24/7 for loot to sell too.
    edited February 2010
    Exploits or TRIBBLE accounts typically. Some might be farming things like fleet action 24/7 for loot to sell too.

atleast now i know why i have seen player contolled tier 5 battleships the first week of game play.
    edited February 2010
    Its Illegal, like all have said. And to say from what a Dev posted up, if caught buying or selling ingame currency will result in your account banned perminatly.

I think Cryptic should do similar methods that blizzard and soe have done. Yes I even mentioned SOE. I was a Game warden...actually still am a Game Warden in Galaxies. Its a pretty good system. Basically if you havent heard about it, its basically a set group of players are appointed by SOE to be wardens. Our job ingame is to mute those who spam ingame about buying of ingame currency. It worked great, we had them running from city to city and eventually they had to try a different approach.

In the end itll never stop because they want to make money and people will still pay for their services. Its unfortuneate but thats how it works (sigh).
This discussion has been closed.