test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it illegal to buy credits from gold farmers?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Ok, so what's Cryptic's policy on buying credits from gold farmers? is this illegal or does cryptic welcome additional funds to the sto economy.

I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my account and it's standings.

Looks like this gold farming has become a huge business as there are hundreds of these sites supporting all the mmo's currencies.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, so what's Cryptic's policy on buying credits from gold farmers? is this illegal or does cryptic welcome additional funds to the sto economy.

I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my account and it's standings.

Looks like this gold farming has become a huge business as there are hundreds of these sites supporting all the mmo's currencies.

Buying or selling is illegal.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:

/boggle - Go ahead and do it and see how long you have an account.
    edited February 2010
    It wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. These aren't exactly reputable people we're talking about.
    edited February 2010
    No..buying fake monies with real monies is not allowed in STO
    edited February 2010
    it is not "illegal" by normal terms

but it is against the policies of these games to do it

so yuo can get banned for selling or buying currency for real life money
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:

It is not "illegal". It does however it does break the EULA you signed to play the game and they can ban you from the game for doing it.
    edited February 2010
    the prices these guys are offering for energy is ridiculous anyway. 100k energy for 10 bucks? i've got 1 million energy after a few days of normal playing. lmao.
    edited February 2010
    There are three (3) ways you can lose your account by doing this.

-Account is TRIBBLE and stolen by the very company that you bought your energy from.
    -Account is caught by Cryptic and subsequently banned for the offense.
    -Account is TRIBBLE and stolen by the very company that you bought your energy from, Cryptic catches them on your account as they spam their tells and zone wide messages and outright bans the account for selling energy.

All three are generally considered "Bad".
    edited February 2010
    It wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. These aren't exactly reputable people we're talking about.

Beware all Ferengi merchants...
    edited February 2010
    Ok, I figured so much, I have no intentions in buying any credits but with all the spamming in my inbox I had to ask.

So why is this then allowed, how do these people come buy all these credits for sale.

Also does this damage the game at all, from a game play point of view? I mean if someone is willing to take there hard earned real money to buy credits for STO is that really bad for the STO economy. I would think not because there would be more in game purchases?

question is how do gold farmers acquire the credits, if it's done illegally then this is really bad.
    edited February 2010
    It's not illegal, so buy as many as you can carry, but Cryptic and other game studios don't like it and will ban you if you get caught.

They don't usually have any fantastically cunning way to catch you out though, just be careful when you are buying. Think of it as cocaine! :eek:
    edited February 2010
    Actually, since neither you nor the company selling credits is paying tax, I rather suspect that laws *are* being broken...
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Actually, since neither you nor the company selling credits is paying tax, I rather suspect that laws *are* being broken...

They are not usually american companies selling the credits. It's those lovely Koreans. :D I love them!
    edited February 2010
    They are not usually american companies selling the credits. It's those lovely Koreans. :D I love them!

The fact that it's an international transaction doesn't make it exempt from taxation.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    Ok, I figured so much, I have no intentions in buying any credits but with all the spamming in my inbox I had to ask.

So why is this then allowed, how do these people come buy all these credits for sale.

Also does this damage the game at all, from a game play point of view? I mean if someone is willing to take there hard earned real money to buy credits for STO is that really bad for the STO economy. I would think not because there would be more in game purchases?

question is how do gold farmers acquire the credits, if it's done illegally then this is really bad.

Yes, it's bad for the game - it causes inflation in the economy by increasing the credits available.

As for how they get credits, usually they do it by finding the one thing that's the most rewarding, then paying someone $.01/hr to do that over and over again.
    edited February 2010
    I dont think that banning is an issue right now as Cryptic cannot even stop the spammers from happening let alone keeping the servers going.
    edited February 2010
    I have 4 different gold farmers spamming my inbox.

It is a big rip anyway, it's also more fun to make your own credits. So how can we rid these farmers from sto?
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:

not only do they manage to steal your account info with keyloggers, but you are supporting all the spamming going on by giving in to them.
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Yes, it's bad for the game - it causes inflation in the economy by increasing the credits available.

As for how they get credits, usually they do it by finding the one thing that's the most rewarding, then paying someone $.01/hr to do that over and over again.

ok, this is bad, I just read that most of these places operate out of china and use child labor for farming. :(
    damn, something has to be done about this.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    I have 4 different gold farmers spamming my inbox.

It is a big rip anyway, it's also more fun to make your own credits. So how can we rid these farmers from sto?

Well for one thing.. by not buying from them, which would encourage them to keep spamming. Other than that, all you can do is just keep reporting them every time you see one.

And yes.. it's a huge ripoff. Credits are very easy to come by and there isn't a lot to spend them on.
    edited February 2010
    I see people whom buy gold as bad as the sellers, they are funding their revenue and thus they continue to spam and annoy everyone else. And why would you want to buy gold? Too lazy to play the game on your own? Thats the usual reason, people want it easy and quick. Shame..
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    ok, this is bad, I just read that most of these places operate out of china and use child labor for farming. :(

LOL! Good one. You had me going.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:

It isn't allowed, and companies often do the best they can to catch and crush these cokroaches, but because there are so many of them, it is very difficult to keep up with.

Gold Farmers go about various means getting their credits, usually it's a couple of people who play the game all day long using various methods to acquire as much wealth as possible in a short period of time; and yes, it is indeed bad for the games economy. Too many people buying/selling energy causes gross inflation on the Auction House (or equivalent) completely crushing the ability for people to farm enough money to purchase equipment, making the "gold sellers" seem more and more like a viable option. It creates a vicious circle in this way, allowing gold sellers to keep feeding themselves.

It's kind of odd in this game however, that they bother at all, considering that energy has so little use.
    edited February 2010
    basically these companies work sweatshop style.

hundred of people logged into games, making new accounts as each one gets banned.

the ones who spam you will get shut down quick, the ones who farm up the in game cash are very silent, and will do high reward missions or find lucrative drops that they then manipulate the market with, forcing up prices in general and making things harder for the "average player" to afford.

the general idea is that everything costs so much you have little choice but to buy credits from them, then you give them back to them by buying the high priced stuff on the market.

they also use a third type of account, the courier, these are the ones who'll trade the cash to you. as you cant send credits by mail, they have to meet you in person to hand over the cash, these accounts can also be easily caught and banned.

the hard part for the company running the game is tracking down the accounts that are doing the farming/market manipulations. most of the time you'll never be able to tell them apart from a normal player and even if you can, its much harder to actually prove they're part of the same company who are selling credits.

most large games with a reasonable in game economy end up with this problem, and several things have been done to make it harder for them to operate.

this is why a lot of the good drops will be bind on pickup, so they cant be sold on. its why credits cant be sent through the mail, so they can catch the people trading cash easier as they have to be logged in for the whole time to make the transaction. they'll also try and catch the spam accounts and can block IP's if need be.

i've yet to see a game thats fully escaped from them, except for CoX before it put its AH system in.
    edited February 2010
    So how do we fight these cockroach farmers?
    edited February 2010
    ZenBrillig wrote:
    Buying or selling is illegal.

Incorrect, it is against your EULA. In the US at least, there is no laws against gold farming.
    edited February 2010
    Shingi wrote:
    basically these companies work sweatshop style.

hundred of people logged into games, making new accounts as each one gets banned.

the ones who spam you will get shut down quick, the ones who farm up the in game cash are very silent, and will do high reward missions or find lucrative drops that they then manipulate the market with, forcing up prices in general and making things harder for the "average player" to afford.

the general idea is that everything costs so much you have little choice but to buy credits from them, then you give them back to them by buying the high priced stuff on the market.

they also use a third type of account, the courier, these are the ones who'll trade the cash to you. as you cant send credits by mail, they have to meet you in person to hand over the cash, these accounts can also be easily caught and banned.

the hard part for the company running the game is tracking down the accounts that are doing the farming/market manipulations. most of the time you'll never be able to tell them apart from a normal player and even if you can, its much harder to actually prove they're part of the same company who are selling credits.

most large games with a reasonable in game economy end up with this problem, and several things have been done to make it harder for them to operate.

this is why a lot of the good drops will be bind on pickup, so they cant be sold on. its why credits cant be sent through the mail, so they can catch the people trading cash easier as they have to be logged in for the whole time to make the transaction. they'll also try and catch the spam accounts and can block IP's if need be.

i've yet to see a game thats fully escaped from them, except for CoX before it put its AH system in.

Cryptic needs to hire a large team of players that are internal, they need to then purchase from these farmers and ban accounts right away.
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:

Child labour is an awesome thing. You can pack more of them in to your small premesis with smaller laptops, they don't eat much and don't demand much money.

They don't operate that much out of china anymore as the government there is cracking down, South Korea is the gold farmer hotspot now.

Just think, if you don't buy any credits, those little hungry Korens won't get any noodles! :eek:
    edited February 2010
    Capsilus wrote:
    So how do we fight these cockroach farmers?

simple

dont buy from them, dont ever pay over the odds on the exchange, report every spam you get either by PM (right click, report spam) or in your inbox (in game has a report spam function, the forum side desperately needs it) and let the devs and GM's take it from there.

not much more we can do as players, just keep ourselves and our own prices on the exchange honest and let the company do what they can to get rid of as many of them as they can
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »
    Incorrect, it is against your EULA. In the US at least, there is no laws against gold farming.

Look, a pedant.

The term 'illegal' does not refer solely to something being against the law, it can also refer to something against the rules of a general situation, e.g. a game.

And anyway, as I pointed out, since taxes are not being paid, it's likely that laws are, infact, being broken.
This discussion has been closed.