test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to cancel subscription by Cryptic.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Incidentally, at time of writing, account isnt listed as expired, although if its anything like the stuff I worked on, thatll probably only happen at midnight, server time.

If ive gained time from anywhere, as youve said, it may be ive got it from each of the codes I entered, in which case like i said above, its a bug on their system as its crediting time on codes that shouldnt give any.

Only other thing is possibly having 2 pre-order keys on the same account has messed it up some how, and somehow resulted in time I add being doubled.

In which case Im kinda gutted I didnt add a 3rd lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    2 codes.

1x Direct2Drive DDE edition, entered Feb 2nd
    1x Amazon Gold Edition, entered Feb 5th

Grand total of 60 days, rather than the 0 or 120 i seem to have depending on the date format.

the date format is settled: you were to be billed on june 2nd. apparently you would have benefited from cryptic's mistake. but, noooooooo, you had to get all emo and post about it. You get somethin' extra, you's shut up about it. what, they don't teach street smarts in astrophysicist school? :) (just teasing). Anyways, you did not get cheated. you got a bump. enjoy, assuming they don't "correct' their mistake.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This! Jesus H. Christ, learn to read people.

Excellent advice. Perhaps you should follow it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    Not sure.

For OB i entered pre-order codes from D2D and Amazon..

On 2nd I entered the DDE key. Account time updated to 04/03/2010

On 5th I was emailed my Borg Boff key from amazon, which I entered, thats the "Ingame Items" my account time was still listed at 04/03/2010

Later that day I got the box set through the door, I entered my Promo items key from the box which was the one listed as "Retail" on my account, this unlocked the multiphasic shields and all that stuff. Account time still said 04/03/2010
    Entered the key off the back of the manual to get my time, that came up as the "Gold" activation, and my game time changed to 06/02/2010

Could be Ive gained 30 days from each of those codes, but again, thats a bug, I should only have recieved 60... 30 days from the DDE and 30 from either the "Retail" key or the "Gold" key.

To me it looks like you got an extra month when you entered the first code. I believe you've been reading the date wrong the whole time. It seems to me, for some reason, you keep getting credited an extra thirty days each time you enter a retail code, which would explain the 4 months, and the anapholetic shock.

I feel like I'm having a House M.D. moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I hope that is all a mistake, it would suck if that happens. It is as simple as a mod coming in here and saying:

The date format used is MM/DD/YY, or DD/MM/YY.

That should clarifiy all issues. And, yeah, cryptic should adhere to international standards, or even better, use words for the month (February 6, 2010). They have to be careful with this. They are dealing with peoples money here, there is no room for mistakes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the date format is settled: you were to be billed on june 2nd. apparently you would have benefited from cryptic's mistake. but, noooooooo, you had to get all emo and post about it. You get somethin' extra, you's shut up about it. what, they don't teach street smarts in astrophysicist school? :) (just teasing). Anyways, you did not get cheated. you got a bump. enjoy, assuming they don't "correct' their mistake.

Do you get paid to say such nonsense? Or you just enjoy it? :D
    Bossa wrote:
    Excellent advice. Perhaps you should follow it.

Perhaps you should learn to post something with at least a hint of meaning :rolleyes:
    maximus92 wrote: »
    ... which would explain the 4 months, and the anapholetic shock.

I feel like I'm having a House M.D. moment.

It's actually anaphylactic

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Doctorfun wrote: »

Do you get paid to say such nonsense? Or you just enjoy it? :D

Perhaps you should learn to post something with at least a hint of meaning :rolleyes:

I enjoy it. Immensely. Plus, I'm right. and, I'm from New York.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Your game time expires in June. Go log into the game and have fun rather than craving the attention you think you need, drama queen. Actually, you'd drive your teammates nuts...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I enjoy it. Immensely. Plus, I'm right. and, I'm from New York.

Well, since you're posting from Hollywood, you must be in withdrawal ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pyerun wrote: »
    Your game time expires in June. Go log into the game and have fun rather than craving the attention you think you need, drama queen. Actually, you'd drive your teammates nuts...

Ah ah! Wrong forum! Here I'll redirect you: www.wordlofwarcraft.com

Have fun :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Ah ah! Wrong forum! Here I'll redirect you: www.wordlofwarcraft.com

Have fun :eek:

Lol priceless :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    Not sure.

On 5th I was emailed my Borg Boff key from amazon, which I entered, thats the "Ingame Items" my account time was still listed at 04/03/2010

Later that day I got the box set through the door, I entered my Promo items key from the box which was the one listed as "Retail" on my account, this unlocked the multiphasic shields and all that stuff. Account time still said 04/03/2010
    Entered the key off the back of the manual to get my time, that came up as the "Gold" activation, and my game time changed to 06/02/2010

Could be Ive gained 30 days from each of those codes, but again, thats a bug, I should only have recieved 60... 30 days from the DDE and 30 from either the "Retail" key or the "Gold" key.

The Borg boff code is another retail from Amazon.com. Your sub is listing correct as far as I can tell. It took a few extra minutes for my account on the web page to update after I entered my code (the server crashed a few times on the 2nd).

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, it looks correct now that the 'in game items' entry is cleared up to be the amazon code that you entered. The next billing date is four months from now which reflects the four retail codes that you entered. The date format is mm/dd/yyyy. I prefer yyyymmdd, but that's me, I do programming, and it's just easier to sort dates that way. It's easier from a programmer standpoint to just use one date format instead of parsing by location, and since Cryptic is in the U.S. the format they are likely to use is the illogical mm/dd/yyyy format (I grew up with it in the U.S., and I've always thought it was stupid).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    As the title says, I've now been forced to cancel my subscription by Cryptic.

I didnt want to do it, much as I dont really relish the fact that I'm having to post one of these threads, but in all honesty I dont feel like I have any alternative.

For the TL;DR folks, heres a quote from a later post that really sums this up, and hopefully highlights the real issues here, as this isnt an "im a bit FO'd" or "im rage quitting" thread.

I actually like STO, and want to continue playing. I had been contemplating a lifetime sub at some point in the near future in fact. I enjyed closed beta, and open, despite its issues, was pretty cool. I bought the blue ray box set thing for the uniforms, and bribed someone in the US to grab me a Del taco code.

Like many UK players, I ordered my copy (Gold Edition) with Amazon UK, but to make sure I didnt loose any game time, I ordered another from Direct 2 Drive too.

So after much messing about on Feb 2nd, I got my account activated got my freebies and my free 30 days and figured I was set. I figured I had 3 days to mooch about, then get my borg bridge officer on friday, and another 30 free days, after which if i still liked the game, Id have splashed out on a lifer sub.

But it wasnt to be. On feb 2nd, my account was up the full 30 days of free game time.
    Yesterday, I added all the codes, waited for my account info to refresh and instead of seeing a subscription renewal date in April, I found that ALL of my game time had been removed, and my account is now due for renewal today.

Activated Features
    Star Trek online - Fileplanet Closed Beta access
    Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    Star Trek Online - Preorder
    Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
    Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe
    Star Trek Online - In game items
    Star Trek Online - Gold Edition
    Star Trek Online - Retail
    Subscriptions
    Recurring 1-Month ACTIVE
    Next Billing Date: 06/02/2010

Teething probs, I figured, so I did what we're meant to, logged a ticket, posted on the billing issues thread, tried to call (and got left on hold for over an hr before I gave up)
    My ticket hasnt even generated an automated reciept.
    My post on the billing issues thread was ignored several times by Cryptic staffers who could respond to issues posted after mine, but couldnt actually address my issue directly...
    The phones, as many people have suggested previously, are a wasted effort at the best of times.

Right now I should be sitting on 57 days of subscription time. Instead, unless I cancel my subscription, Im going to be automatically charged for game time I've already paid for.

I'll be hitting "cancel" as soon as this post is up. On Monday, assuming I've had no response from Cryptic, which given the experiences many have talked about is very likely, I'll be discussing this with some of the lawyers at the law school at the university where I work.

As far as Im concerned, Cryptic are now in breach of contract and have sold me goods that are not as advertised.

If they can fix the subscription time on my account Illl be happy to return, and I think itd be pretty decent of them too to credit me with game time I'll be loosing because of their system error.

I'm really sorry to have to resort to these kinds of measures, but in all honesty, Cryptic havent given me an alternative, and if by posting this I help one other player from falling into the same trap then at least this has been of benefit to someone.

US date format starts from month/day/year... so your expiry date is APRIL - 3 - 2010... for someone who's in the legal profession (**implied** in OP). A fact check is in order....

(I am an Aussie by the way, so we DONT use US date system, but still I thought the US date format is common sense nowadays... must be my imagination)

Please forward this to the GM. I have been experiencing long wait for replies but they have replied ***100%*** of my tickets.

Your account now expires in JUNE the 2nd, as stated in your LONG signature...

good luck
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrBob wrote:
    IEuropean nations tend to like to go after companies though, so who knows.
    What? What does this even mean? I think that is a generalisation based on ignorance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dude this is the US..... Month / Day / year..
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kaellorien wrote:
    US date format starts from month/day/year... so your expiry date is APRIL - 3 - 2010... for someone who's in the legal profession (**implied** in OP). A fact check is in order....

(I am an Aussie by the way, so we DONT use US date system, but still I thought the US date format is common sense nowadays... must be my imagination)

Please forward this to the GM. I have been experiencing long wait for replies but they have replied ***100%*** of my tickets.

Your account now expires in JUNE the 2nd, as stated in your LONG signature...

good luck

Not a lawyer, im in IT, just gonna bounce it at some of the lawyers we have in the law school if it looks like i need to, which the way things are going, i probably wont.
    my signature is the bit in orange, the quote was there to summarise a long post a lot of people werent reading, which was under the quote :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Etchyboy wrote:

No, this is the internet, it has no geographical 'home' as such.

If date setting can be changed on forums, then it should be straightforward to also do the same with billing charges/renewal dates etc.

If not, then it is simple enough for Cryptic to put in a little note on the page in question stating that all dates shown are US.

Considering they want a global audience, it's not difficult really.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Etchyboy wrote:

and to think, we'd made it to 105 posts before anyone thought to mention it.

Yes, im aware, it could well be US dates rather than localised. Really, painfully aware. Short of having it tatooed on to my retina's I dont actually think i could actually be more aware.

But if its US dates, Im up 60 days I didnt expect to have, and which weren't advertised as being part of what I was buying, and are likely there due to bugs. Ergo theres still an issue, and its worth mentioning it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Etchyboy wrote:

Dude, this is the world, the internet, whatever your approach. But this is NOT the USA and it isn't Kansas either. There's a lot more than you can actually see from your porch, believe it or not. :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Dude, this is the world, the internet, whatever your approach. But this is NOT the USA and it isn't Kansas either. There's a lot more than you can actually see from your porch, believe it or not. :eek:

Muito engra
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cygnus-Dax wrote: »
    Muito engra
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    As mentioned a few times, Im not threatening them, Im seeking legal advice regarding the issue. I dont want to threaten them, I dont want to quit. Im cancelling my subs for the time being to protect my bank accounts while the matter is resolved, and hopefully alerting other players that may be affected to check their accounts and log the appropriate tickets sooner rather than later.

The issue isnt as clear cut as "i think i may have been messed about a bit." I either have been messed about, or somewhere on Cryptics end theres an issue which is crediting some users with double the game time they should have been given.

That sounds all nice and friendly, but if it is the second problem, imagine how people are going to react when this time is removed from their accounts again? Or what if its not removed. How do you feel about the fact that there are players who pay half as much as you do to play?
    I suspect that would generate a lot more noise than that made by an individual customer, and would turn in to a PR nightmare for cryptic.

If your subscription is fowled up and getting incorrectly billed then you certainly should remove the card or cancel the sub until the issue are resolved. If there are consumer protection laws or advocates that can assist you then by all means you should take advantage of them... but, put simply, telling me your subscription problems, or any other forum poster, isn't going to help solve your issues.... all we can do is commiserate.

the only PR your going generate is among a small fraction the forum base who are already disposed to love or hate the game. The game forums represent a small but vocal percentage of the total player population and while I'm sure your issues are very important to you, nothing you've described so far is significant enough to warrant much attention beyond these forum walls.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, since you're posting from Hollywood, you must be in withdrawal ;)

Yes, except for the weather. NY can keep that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Questarian wrote: »
    ...telling me your subscription problems, or any other forum poster, isn't going to help solve your issues.... all we can do is commiserate.

the only PR your going generate is among a small fraction the forum base who are already disposed to love or hate the game. The game forums represent a small but vocal percentage of the total player population and while I'm sure your issues are very important to you, nothing you've described so far is significant enough to warrant much attention beyond these forum walls.

Man, so you're basically saying that forums are a completely useless tool when it comes to communication between customers and the company? Millions of people, hundreds of companies that believe the exact opposite must be wrong then. Thousands of CS professionals, community managers mostly, have a job that is an illusion! Thank you, for letting us finally out of the lie we've been living in. Thank you! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, except for the weather. NY can keep that.

Well, then you get a special prescription to post nonsense and enjoy doing so. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you added all those retail keys to one account plus added a del taco code (which gives you an extra day) most likely it is an error in your favor. If not you are talking a whole $15 you really freaking out this bad and calling lawyers over $15? I mean really you paid for all those boxes no problem but are scared they may take $15 out? I just find it amazing people would even consider talking to a lawyer over $15.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Man, so you're basically saying that forums are a completely useless tool when it comes to communication between customers and the company? Millions of people, hundreds of companies that believe the exact opposite must be wrong then. Thousands of CS professionals, community managers mostly, have a job that is an illusion! Thank you, for letting us finally out of the lie we've been living in. Thank you! :D

The people on the forums have no access to your account. None of the mods here can do anything you need to file a ticket for stuff like this. Or would you prefer the mods post all your info here for everyone to see?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    Not sure.

You have this right?

Star Trek online - Fileplanet Closed Beta access
    Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
    Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe
    Star Trek Online - In game items
    Star Trek Online - Gold Edition
    Star Trek Online - Retail

OK.. let me break it down for ya.

Digital Deluxe = 30 days
    Gold Edition = 30 days
    Retail = 30 days
    Del Taco = 2 days

Your billing starts on Feb.5, 2010 for the UK, not Feb. 2, 2010.

Also this is Feb., which only has 28 days, not 30.

so Feb. 5 + 30 days = March 7 + 30 days = April 6 + 30 days = May 6 + 2 days = May 8

If the copies of the game are anything like the Del Tack promotion, they give a bonus of 30 days free for having 3 versions of the game on the account. I recall reading a promotion similar to that but don't quote me on it.

You list Gold, DDE, and Retail.. so that makes May 8 + 30 days = June 8.

Adjusting for when you actually entered a code instead of using the grace period (UK billing should start on Feb. 5).. Given a system error, that makes it June 5. given that their billing system may not take into acount that Feb only has 28 days, then your next billing would be June 3, 2010. So your subscription would end 6/2/10. Renewal would be 6/3/10.

Your time is on your account. It is listed as US time stamp. If anything, you got a bonus of 30 days from a promotion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrBob wrote:
    It sounds like you are reading the date wrong.

But if not, it is certainly a shame that this happened to you.

But I can tell you, right now, you have no basis for a case, at least in the USA. There was no malice, no intent. Not to mention you have not given them ANY time to correct this action at all.

European nations tend to like to go after companies though, so who knows.

FYI: You have everything covered including timeliness (and that could be an issue), except for consideration of the impact of one or more negligence counts. It has been admitted publically by Criptic that they under-estimated resources required and that there were other issues having to do with negligence - problems still exist. Further, whether the nubbie made an error or was actulally cheated by billing, it remains that he/her probably has a good faith belief that he/she was harmed, and may have in fact been harmed (damages), and that question is for jury, not a judge. Recently, a state Supreme Court ruled that limits on punitive damages are not Constitutional, so I ssddddddedsuppose you will see where that can lead. Lastly, Criptic, Atari, parent companys, and others may become embroled in a class action considering so many ( a very large number of ) posts of complaints about STO. Let us hope it does not come to this as the attorney(s) would earn a hansome fee, and it probably would deep six STO unless their insurance covers it. :))

Please pay attention to posts and talk to us. I noticed several issues related to the GUI and the Action Bar, have been posted, but I have read no replies from the Developer. There honestly exists a real NEED to remidy the buttons dropping off or moving unexpectantly from the Action Bar, because the problem interfers with game play so seriously that it can cause you to die mid-mission and it is not a "You need more experience" issue -it is a game issue that is apparently being ignored. I have read several posts that explain that a player used to be able to lock the bar. Why must we wait for a fix for a feature that has been turned off ??? WHY was it turned off? Please provide a reply. I'm sure that we all would appreciate it. Have a nice day !@**^&%
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    I thought it might be, but on adding my original game time, my date was displayed as 04/03/2010. As im logged in to an account registered in the Uk, I honestly cant say for sure if that's a date in April or if they've just got the site set to change date format depending on your location.
    Either way, would you want to leave your account active and risk being billed again on the off chance?

No offense, but you have totally read the date incorrectly. It's in american format (month/day/year) and your time goes until JUNE. Thats a LOT of time. American company = American customs.

I am still amazed at how quickly people jump to the worst conclusion possible with this game... *shakes head*
This discussion has been closed.