test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to cancel subscription by Cryptic.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    But if the issue is sound... then I hope they fix this for you. Plus... you need to give them the time to fix this for you. Have you PM'd a dev on this issue to get some attention to it?

Im not worried about laughs if I turn out to be reading it wrong, but whilst I appreciate the 120 days game time, Im happy with just the 60 days I paid for and would prefer to get it ironed out now rather than removed when they realise later or something.

Haven't PM'd anyone regarding this issue to be honest, as I really don't know which of them is best to approach with the problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's shocking to me that a company dealing with international customers is using a numeric date format in billing info. I think that's covered in Business Management 101 and Network Administration 101. It leads to confusion.

Is 04/06/10 or 06/04/10 June 4th, 2010? Depends where you live.

You know what fixes it... easily? posting it as June 4th, 2010 :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    Im not worried about laughs if I turn out to be reading it wrong, but whilst I appreciate the 120 days game time, Im happy with just the 60 days I paid for and would prefer to get it ironed out now rather than removed when they realise later or something.

Haven't PM'd anyone regarding this issue to be honest, as I really don't know which of them is best to approach with the problem.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned that Rekhan was looking at issues in the billing thread, but neglected to reply to yours I believe. So you should PM him and ask him what happened... for one why your issue wasn't addressed and what can be done to fix it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Clarification. Is the date on the subscription thing shown in US or European format?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:
    Clarification. Is the date on the subscription thing shown in US or European format?

For me it is shown in the US format.... I'm Canadian and I'm pretty sure we always use the US format for these things. European may very well be different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe the regional format is screwed up. Several of the articles on the home page are showing up in foriegn languages. I clicked American at the top, which I've never had to do and still I can see the wrong language.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you, OP. You bought two copies of the game so obviously you are a fan. I think you are rightly concerned about your subscription date.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They really need a "I am leaving thread" since many people feel they need to share why they are leaving.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Areanna wrote: »
    They really need a "I am leaving thread" since many people feel they need to share why they are leaving.

They need a "cant be bothered to read" thread for all the people who dont bother to read.
    This isnt a leaving thread, its an "there are discrepancies with my acc that mean im either about to have my acc expire, or lots of ppl got more time than they should" thread
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe the regional format is screwed up. Several of the articles on the home page are showing up in foriegn languages. I clicked American at the top, which I've never had to do and still I can see the wrong language.

I wouldn't be suprised. Numerous Canadian customers had access only to the American sub price, whereas others of us had access only to the Canadian one.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vaneshi wrote:

It appears as US format from Australia. (we use same format as EU)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I hope it all gets sorted out for you, OP. You bought two copies of the game so obviously you are a fan. I think you are rightly concerned about your subscription date.

Thanks, both to you and the other folks who have been supportive so far :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ellif wrote:
    why is everyone so quick to resort to lawyers and legal threats?
    nem a chance, I can understand it's a very frustrating bug and you're annoyed but legal threats? really?
    Considering the number of tickets Billing most likely have at the moment I'd expect a 7 day wait on ticket reponses (that's just my guess though). You could keep trying to call once they open on monday in the hopes you can get through or directly pm one of the reps to see if they chase up what's going on with the Billing team

It's cheap and easy to threaten legal action... These long drawn out "how I got FO'd" post tend to just be a public shaming in hopes it gets a help ticket expedited.

While I sympathize with the OP's situation, and I hope it all works out for them, I do think they would better served if they were directed at Cryptic's customer support rather then a public game forum.

Despite the "it should be perfect" rhetoric, there are going to be some fowl ups, I've had my share too, but I haven't see anything that would indicate Cryptic is intentionally trying to TRIBBLE people over. Contact them, keep on them, and try to give them a reasonable amount of time to work your issues out.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    ...OP message...

Again, I do think you are over-reacting and they have given you either the right amount of time or too much time.

But as suggested, PM some folks, like Rekhan and StormShade and Phloxe.

Also, post this in the PC and Technical issues Forum. You may have better luck getting an answer to this particular question there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Questarian wrote: »
    It's cheap and easy to threaten legal action... These long drawn out "how I got FO'd" post tend to just be a public shaming in hopes it gets a help ticket expedited.

While I sympathize with the OP's situation, and I hope it all works out for them, I do think they would better served if they were directed at Cryptic's customer support rather then a public game forum.

Despite the "it should be perfect" rhetoric, there are going to be some fowl ups, I've had my share too, but I haven't see anything that would indicate Cryptic is intentionally trying to TRIBBLE people over. Contact them, keep on them, and try to give them a reasonable amount of time to work your issues out.

As mentioned a few times, Im not threatening them, Im seeking legal advice regarding the issue. I dont want to threaten them, I dont want to quit. Im cancelling my subs for the time being to protect my bank accounts while the matter is resolved, and hopefully alerting other players that may be affected to check their accounts and log the appropriate tickets sooner rather than later.

The issue isnt as clear cut as "i think i may have been messed about a bit." I either have been messed about, or somewhere on Cryptics end theres an issue which is crediting some users with double the game time they should have been given.

That sounds all nice and friendly, but if it is the second problem, imagine how people are going to react when this time is removed from their accounts again? Or what if its not removed. How do you feel about the fact that there are players who pay half as much as you do to play?
    I suspect that would generate a lot more noise than that made by an individual customer, and would turn in to a PR nightmare for cryptic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To OP, is this your first MMO?

They are not going to bill you on Feb 6th. If they did, then you have a legitmate complaint you can take to your CC company which will force Cryptic to refund the money. If they get too many returns like that Cryptic will be no longer be able to accept Credit Cards, That would basically mean they are out of business, so they will not allow that to happen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hope this helps a bit.

In the US the write the dates different and as the server is US based they are using that.

06/02/2010 is actually 02/06/2010 which is the 2nd of the 6 Month.

In the UK we would have called what happened in 2001 119 instead of 911, Hope this helps clear up the missunderstanding i know it a pain but your account is not due till 2nd of june 2010.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    this is why companys serving an international audience should adopt an internation standerd like: http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
    OR clearly have the month writen in words, 1st January 2010 for example

Kenetor
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Damn that's messed up. So a billing error ate your play time? I think I better check my credit card bill and billing date now. Are other people having issues like this? I hope they get you straightened out and give you the play time you deserve. That really sucks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    To OP, is this your first MMO?

They are not going to bill you on Feb 6th. If they did, then you have a legitmate complaint you can take to your CC company which will force Cryptic to refund the money. If they get too many returns like that Cryptic will be no longer be able to accept Credit Cards, That would basically mean they are out of business, so they will not allow that to happen.

No.

I've been playing them since Diablo effectively started what was to become the genre over a decade ago.

Ive also worked on a number of them, including Atriacrch, Indiana Jones, The legend of Mir 2 and 3, Rose online etc etc

Im sorry that i dont fall in your newb bracket RSE, but that cant be helped.

I dont actually know how much more simply I can put this so that you stop assuming this is just a rage quit.

Either I've lost game time, which will be resolved eventually, and in the mean time ive protected my accounts for now, and alerted other players that there might be a problem with their own accounts that they need to monitor

-or-

Some of us have been given double game time. If so its very probably a bug, if so cryptic are likely to squash it eventually. Its now been reported and again people might want to check to see if theyve been affected and to be aware that the time might, at some point, be removed again.

Yes the title of the thread comes across a little strong. In all honesty though, if I'd just posted "weird billing problem" on the boards do you really think anyone would have noticed, or in some cases checked and found that they might also have the same problem?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kenetor wrote: »
    this is why companys serving an international audience should adopt an internation standerd like: http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm
    OR clearly have the month writen in words, 1st January 2010 for example

Kenetor

I know right? This was basic, don't get fired over stupid stuff, knowledge in the mid-80's... It's funny honestly that it took ISO so long, much less businesses.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OP: you get 30 days per code entered. How many codes did you enter? was it 2? or 4?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    raduque wrote: »
    You're looking at the date wrong. That's a US standard date. Your sub doesn't expire till JUNE. I got 30 days with my copy:

This! Jesus H. Christ, learn to read people.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ya know, instead of making this thread all the OP had to do was cancel his/her monthly billing and then wait. Today is the 6th of Feb. If the OP was right the account would go inactive. However if the OP misread the date (which is what is happening) the account would stay active.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This! Jesus H. Christ, learn to read people.

LOL... maybe the people doing international business need to learn to format adequately.

I'm from the US, and have been doing international business for close to 30 years, and this is a pretty amateur mistake.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Balvin wrote:
    Hope this helps a bit.

In the US the write the dates different and as the server is US based they are using that.

06/02/2010 is actually 02/06/2010 which is the 2nd of the 6 Month.

In the UK we would have called what happened in 2001 119 instead of 911, Hope this helps clear up the missunderstanding i know it a pain but your account is not due till 2nd of june 2010.

the OP is reading the date wrong, definatly(sp).

119 isn't as dramatic, but I'd think that in the UK it would be 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ya know, instead of making this thread all the OP had to do was cancel his/her monthly billing and then wait. Today is the 6th of Feb. If the OP was right the account would go inactive. However if the OP misread the date (which is what is happening) the account would stay active.

True, I admit. And then if there is a bug with people getting double game time when they shouldnt, I should have conveniently forgotten to report it.

And then when cryptic have financial problems because they just dont seem to have the right amount of subs coming in for all the players I should enjoy watching the game fall apart knowing I did my bit right?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OP: you get 30 days per code entered. How many codes did you enter? was it 2? or 4?

2 codes.

1x Direct2Drive DDE edition, entered Feb 2nd
    1x Amazon Gold Edition, entered Feb 5th

Grand total of 60 days, rather than the 0 or 120 i seem to have depending on the date format.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    2 codes.

1x Direct2Drive DDE edition, entered Feb 2nd
    1x Amazon Gold Edition, entered Feb 5th

Grand total of 60 days, rather than the 0 or 120 i seem to have depending on the date format.

I'm counting three codes...
    Activated Features
    Star Trek online - Fileplanet Closed Beta access
    Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    Star Trek Online - Preorder
    Star Trek Online - Preorder
    Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
    Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe
    Star Trek Online - In game items
    Star Trek Online - Gold Edition
    Star Trek Online - Retail

Digital Deluxe, Gold Edition, and Retail.

Here's how mine reads...
    Activated Features

* Star Trek Online - Preorder
    * Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    * Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe

Now, I don't know what 'In game items" is. Might be another retail type code. If it is, your sub is right on the time frame. If it isn't then it looks like you somehow have gotten an extra month.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jarioth wrote:
    Now, I don't know what 'In game items" is. Might be another retail type code. If it is, your sub is right on the time frame. If it isn't then it looks like you somehow have gotten an extra month.

That's how I am seeing it, too. "In-game Items" may be yet another Retail code entered that also gives you another month.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jarioth wrote:
    I'm counting three codes...

Digital Deluxe, Gold Edition, and Retail.

Here's how mine reads...

Not sure.

For OB i entered pre-order codes from D2D and Amazon..

On 2nd I entered the DDE key. Account time updated to 04/03/2010

On 5th I was emailed my Borg Boff key from amazon, which I entered, thats the "Ingame Items" my account time was still listed at 04/03/2010

Later that day I got the box set through the door, I entered my Promo items key from the box which was the one listed as "Retail" on my account, this unlocked the multiphasic shields and all that stuff. Account time still said 04/03/2010
    Entered the key off the back of the manual to get my time, that came up as the "Gold" activation, and my game time changed to 06/02/2010

Could be Ive gained 30 days from each of those codes, but again, thats a bug, I should only have recieved 60... 30 days from the DDE and 30 from either the "Retail" key or the "Gold" key.
This discussion has been closed.