test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced to cancel subscription by Cryptic.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
As the title says, I've now been forced to cancel my subscription by Cryptic.

I didnt want to do it, much as I dont really relish the fact that I'm having to post one of these threads, but in all honesty I dont feel like I have any alternative.

For the TL;DR folks, heres a quote from a later post that really sums this up, and hopefully highlights the real issues here, as this isnt an "im a bit FO'd" or "im rage quitting" thread.
Cytheria. wrote:

if I am reading the date format incorrectly, then Cryptic are TRIBBLE themselves out of a lot of subscription fee's anyway, as apparently Im not the only person who would have gained double the gametime they should have. Allmight has demonstrated this by posting the same date I had on my account after one activation: 04/03/2010.

Either way there is an issue.

* Either I, and lots of people like me, have been granted double the time they should have, which would probably end up in a ton of complaints when cryptic realised and amended the error, and I dont need to worry about my subs being requested.

-or-

* I am not in error, the date formats are correct and 30days were removed from my account.

Im going with the second option because I really cant see a company thats invested this much in actually getting players money having managed to find away to lose half of their income, and because, more importantly, the only person responsible for protecting my cash is me, and Cryptic aren't obliged to protect me from spending cash I dont need to.

I actually like STO, and want to continue playing. I had been contemplating a lifetime sub at some point in the near future in fact. I enjyed closed beta, and open, despite its issues, was pretty cool. I bought the blue ray box set thing for the uniforms, and bribed someone in the US to grab me a Del taco code.

Like many UK players, I ordered my copy (Gold Edition) with Amazon UK, but to make sure I didnt loose any game time, I ordered another from Direct 2 Drive too.

So after much messing about on Feb 2nd, I got my account activated got my freebies and my free 30 days and figured I was set. I figured I had 3 days to mooch about, then get my borg bridge officer on friday, and another 30 free days, after which if i still liked the game, Id have splashed out on a lifer sub.

But it wasnt to be. On feb 2nd, my account was up the full 30 days of free game time.
Yesterday, I added all the codes, waited for my account info to refresh and instead of seeing a subscription renewal date in April, I found that ALL of my game time had been removed, and my account is now due for renewal today.

Activated Features
Star Trek online - Fileplanet Closed Beta access
Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
Star Trek Online - Preorder
Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe
Star Trek Online - In game items
Star Trek Online - Gold Edition
Star Trek Online - Retail
Subscriptions
Recurring 1-Month ACTIVE
Next Billing Date: 06/02/2010
[/quote]

Teething probs, I figured, so I did what we're meant to, logged a ticket, posted on the billing issues thread, tried to call (and got left on hold for over an hr before I gave up)
My ticket hasnt even generated an automated reciept.
My post on the billing issues thread was ignored several times by Cryptic staffers who could respond to issues posted after mine, but couldnt actually address my issue directly...
The phones, as many people have suggested previously, are a wasted effort at the best of times.

Right now I should be sitting on 57 days of subscription time. Instead, unless I cancel my subscription, Im going to be automatically charged for game time I've already paid for.

I'll be hitting "cancel" as soon as this post is up. On Monday, assuming I've had no response from Cryptic, which given the experiences many have talked about is very likely, I'll be discussing this with some of the lawyers at the law school at the university where I work.

As far as Im concerned, Cryptic are now in breach of contract and have sold me goods that are not as advertised.

If they can fix the subscription time on my account Illl be happy to return, and I think itd be pretty decent of them too to credit me with game time I'll be loosing because of their system error.

I'm really sorry to have to resort to these kinds of measures, but in all honesty, Cryptic havent given me an alternative, and if by posting this I help one other player from falling into the same trap then at least this has been of benefit to someone.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
    I hope a GM will step in and help you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Did you put your billing info in, then hit cancel immedietly? This gives you a prompt that you will lose all remaining game time, and asks you to confirm it.
    Give them a phone call, but be prepared to wait a while as they are only a small company with limited resources.

Also remember they have more players than you playing this game. It will take a while to get around to your ticket/phone call. All you can do is be patient. Making threats and issuing ultimatums to the developers isnt going to change that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If your going about it via the phone you will get answered at some point but its going to be a long wait, I think the average is an hour and a half.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why is everyone so quick to resort to lawyers and legal threats?

Give them a chance, I can understand it's a very frustrating bug and you're annoyed but legal threats? really?
    Considering the number of tickets Billing most likely have at the moment I'd expect a 7 day wait on ticket reponses (that's just my guess though). You could keep trying to call once they open on monday in the hopes you can get through or directly pm one of the reps to see if they chase up what's going on with the Billing team
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You're looking at the date wrong. That's a US standard date. Your sub doesn't expire till JUNE. I got 30 days with my copy:
    Subscriptions

* Recurring 1-Month ACTIVE
    Next Billing Date: 03/04/2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Did you put your billing info in, then hit cancel immedietly? This gives you a prompt that you will lose all remaining game time, and asks you to confirm it.

Also remember they have more players than you playing this game. It will take a while to get around to your ticket/phone call. All you can do is be patient. Making threats and issuing ultimatums to the developers isnt going to change that.

Didnt get a prompt, just clicked redeem key and entered it, it processed for a while then added the key to my account. As mentioned the account was already activated on monday, there was no need to re-enter billing details.

And yup, having been a Dev once myself, I can appreciate that thery have a lot of issues to work with, but given that I either take action myself today or get billed again for time ive already paid for, I dont see any alternative but to start making noises now.

Like I said, I dont want to have to go down this route, but the way things seem to have been handled, for myself and others recently, I dont feel theres a viable alternative :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    raduque wrote: »
    You're looking at the date wrong. That's a US standard date. Your sub doesn't expire till JUNE. I got 30 days with my copy:

I thought it might be, but on adding my original game time, my date was displayed as 04/03/2010. As im logged in to an account registered in the Uk, I honestly cant say for sure if that's a date in April or if they've just got the site set to change date format depending on your location.
    Either way, would you want to leave your account active and risk being billed again on the off chance?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It sounds like you are reading the date wrong.

But if not, it is certainly a shame that this happened to you.

But I can tell you, right now, you have no basis for a case, at least in the USA. There was no malice, no intent. Not to mention you have not given them ANY time to correct this action at all.

European nations tend to like to go after companies though, so who knows.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't quite understand.

From the quote you place, your subscription lasts until June 2010.

You are not automatically charged for the time that comes with the boxes, they say, in your quote, that they will start charging you in June. That tells me, you have that much time to play....free.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You have what, 4 months left on your subscription. I would say you are a bit hasty to call in the lawyers. Hope you did not pay them 125 quid just to be told you have no case.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would just say wait and see, it's higly unlikely to be a UK standard date.

Anyway, I'm sure if they messed up, they'll reverse the charge and give you your time back, but I don't think it's wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When things like this happen it is the worst feeling of fustration in the world. I think you should try to be a little more patient for the weekend then kick thier asses on monday

Good luck
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DrBob wrote:
    It sounds like you are reading the date wrong.

But if not, it is certainly a shame that this happened to you.

But I can tell you, right now, you have no basis for a case, at least in the USA. There was no malice, no intent. Not to mention you have not given them ANY time to correct this action at all.

European nations tend to like to go after companies though, so who knows.

Yep you're going to have to wait a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hearing stuff like this sucks. I hope they sort it out for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In the UK that date reads 6th February, 2010.
    Just like when I added my original sub that date said 4th March 2010.

I'm not having a blond moment here, so far the dates on my account have always appeared to be in UK time, and changes to the dates have been reflected correctly and apparently in that format in the past.

Im happy to accept that I could be wrong, and Ill be very happy to apologise if someone from cryptic gets in touch some time and says "Hey, you're being a tard, its june"

And no, I dont have to pay for the lawyers, theyre people I work with, chatting to colleagues is free.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yep, you're definitely reading the date wrong. It's being displayed in the American way with the month first, then date. I am in the UK too and I have 60 days of free play time (two pre-orders), and here is what mine says:

Subscriptions

Next Billing Date: 04/03/2010

April 3rd. 60 days from when I activated on Feb 3rd. Judging by your list of subscriptions you posted earlier, you have 120 free days making your account expire on June 2nd; 06/02/2010 just like it says.

No need for lawyers, just patience and common sense.

Cryptic really should change it so that it lists the entire date (e.g. June 3rd, 2010) to avoid any confusion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dont get what your problem is your account does not expire untill the second of June.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think its just a bug in the script that displays the info. Hope you get it sorted out.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    As the title says, I've now been forced to cancel my subscription by Cryptic.
    First off, Cryptic hasn't forced you to do anything. This is something that you are chosing to do. Don't blame others for your decisions.

Secondly, this is launch week and as you can imagine customer service is very busy. It may take them awhile to respond to your ticket.

If they don't respond by Monday morning (PST) I recommend that you go here http://www.startrekonline.com/support/billing and make a phone call to their customer service department.

I really do wish you luck in getting this matter resolved.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pandajuice wrote: »
    Yep, you're definitely reading the date wrong. It's being displayed in the American way with the month first, then date. I am in the UK too and I have 60 days of free play time (two pre-orders), and here is what mine says:

Subscriptions

April 3rd. 60 days from when I activated on Feb 3rd. Judging by your list of subscriptions you posted earlier, you have 120 free days making your account expire on June 2nd; 06/02/2010 just like it says.

No need for lawyers, just patience and common sense.

Cryptic really should change it so that it lists the entire date (e.g. June 3rd, 2010) to avoid any confusion.

To be honest, if thats all this come down to, and they change the way the dates are displayed to avoid confusion, Ill be pretty happy tbh.
    My only issue with the date thing so far is that I dont get why Id have 120 days rather than 60.
    6th of Feb makes it look like theyve added 30 days, then removed it.
    2nd of June suggests theyve added all my time twice, which is really nice of them, but makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i'ld like to see this get sorted out too. it'll be a shame if you left, Cytheria. and as others have mentioned, it is entirely possible you've gotten the date wrong. in the US, it's month/day/year. most everywhere else it day/month/year. assuming this is so, you have till april
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    In Australia we use the same date format as the UK. It, shows US date formats anyway.

Subscriptions

Next Billing Date: 03/05/2010

So it's using a US date format. Even though my countries conventions are DD/MM/YYY. I can confirm I have one month included and applied my key on 5th February. So calm down and enjoy the game! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    My only issue with the date thing so far is that I dont get why Id have 120 days rather than 60.
    6th of Feb makes it look like theyve added 30 days, then removed it.
    2nd of June suggests theyve added all my time twice, which is really nice of them, but makes no sense at all.

Well looking at your list:

Activated Features
    Star Trek online - Fileplanet Closed Beta access
    Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
    Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A
    Star Trek Online - Digital Deluxe
    Star Trek Online - In game items
    Star Trek Online - Gold Edition
    Star Trek Online - Retail

It looks like you have at least 3 different keys added which would give you at least 90 days free. You have the Digital Deluxe, Gold Edition, and Retail. Those are three different editions. I'm not sure where the fourth is coming from to get you all the way to June, but you definitely have more than 2 retail keys added there.

I put in two keys from the DDE and Amazon preorder and only have one instance of "Preorder", "Digital Deluxe", and "Retail".

It's far more likely there was some error giving you extra days free than them only giving you 30 days, then removing it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i've got a similar problem as the OP. I should have 3x 1 month game times but I only have 2 months remaining. i've made a support ticket and got an automated response.. waiting for them to check it out
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, to be on the safe side, cancel your sub. You will still be able to play the free time until it ends.

I do think, as many others do, that you read the date wrong, and that your sub will end in June.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That date display is a tad confusing for us here in the UK, and apparently the Auusies too. I assumed it would auto format the date for your region as by that time your sub is active and it should know where you are. Mine gave me much the same date oddness and I was scratching my head for a little while until I realised it's still in the US format. It's just a simple "DOH!" moment and I hope you haven't cancelled your sub yet Cytheria.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    K Mayfair wrote:
    That date display is a tad confusing for us here in the UK, and apparently the Auusies too. I assumed it would auto format the date for your region as by that time your sub is active and it should know where you are. Mine gave me much the same date oddness and I was scratching my head for a little while until I realised it's still in the US format. It's just a simple "DOH!" moment and I hope you haven't cancelled your sub yet Cytheria.

Easy solution is to write the month with letters. Confusion avoided.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Um, after closer inspection, the OP may be right. I activated my account the 2nd of Feb, and i have the following date for expiration...

Which translates to 4th of Mars 2010. ( 30 day of free gaming time ).

Compared to my date, his really say 6th of Febuary 2010.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Merls wrote:
    Easy solution is to write the month with letters. Confusion avoided.

Indeed. I hope someone sees this and has the same idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cytheria. wrote:
    In the UK that date reads 6th February, 2010.

You will find that the US is the only place in the world that refuses to put its date format in a logical, sensible chronological progression. Canada uses all possible kinds simply because of the unfortunate condition of being next to the US.

That date reads as February to 95% of the human species, not just the UK.
This discussion has been closed.