Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Gilthanaz wrote: »
    This is the internet.

On the internet:
    1. Men are men
    2. Women are men
    3. Kids are FBI agents

To extend the list, one might add that sometimes a 'Female Gamer' appears to post in forums, in this case, the STO forums. You should be aware of two things then:

Rule #2 of the internet (Women are men) and that it is quite easy to copy/paste, upload and then link a picture of SOME girl as 'prove'. This goes as far as that some people make up full lifes on facebook, twitter and other social network platforms to fake an identify and thus, be able to impersonate a female being almost perfect. Without a voice check you can never be certain, but even that can be rigged... Rule #2 again, anyway.

Good luck.

- G

Edit:
    Almost forgot - In for a thread featuring the famous CHAT, who surely is definitly male and well endowed. At least thats what my tarot cards just said.

So I'ma FBI agent? lol :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The web hasn't/ doesn't change or should I say gamers :rolleyes:
    @Gilthanaz rule number 4) to every rule the're exceptions

Inu
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    kai_inu wrote:
    The web hasn't/ doesn't change or should I say gamers :rolleyes:
    @Gilthanaz rule number 4) to every rule the're exceptions

Inu

Maybe in YOUR ruleset :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is the internet.

On the internet:
    1. Men are men
    2. Women are men
    3. Kids are FBI agents

To extend the list, one might add that sometimes a 'Female Gamer' appears to post in forums, in this case, the STO forums. You should be aware of two things then:

Rule #2 of the internet (Women are men) and that it is quite easy to copy/paste, upload and then link a picture of SOME girl as 'prove'. This goes as far as that some people make up full lifes on facebook, twitter and other social network platforms to fake an identify and thus, be able to impersonate a female being almost perfect. Without a voice check you can never be certain, but even that can be rigged... Rule #2 again, anyway.

Good luck.

- G

Edit:
    Almost forgot - In for a thread featuring the famous CHAT, who surely is definitly male and well endowed. At least thats what my tarot cards just said.

I assure you that my photobucket is all me, my cat, and the many stupid screens from several MMOs, and you might even find my car.

on a side note I am Sure Chat is a her..

also what deck do you use? I use the Golden Dawn deck.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    blabla

I guess i need to put sarcasm tags around my postings... :)

@Deck: Thoth
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yay I work for the FBI now! :p :eek:

I'd just like to add that thanks to my late grandfather, I'm good with computers. As a result of that, I work with computers, and it's quite hard to work with computers without touching the Internet anymore. But fortunatly, I got taken on with a very diverse company, one of the people I work with on a daily basis and also several of my managers are women.

As for me, my love of computers quite easily drew me to online (& offline) gaming. But it's a simple fact that things like this just can't be true in some people's minds. Humanity has come a long way through evolution, but there are still many who would gladly hold it back from progressing. This annoys me. Especially constant remarks about how it's entirely implausible that a girl/woman might actually enjoy gaming with other people or using the internet for "anything other than MSN." <- yes, somebody actually said that once!

As for Star Trek and then general Sci-Fi - Kathryn Janeway started that chapter of my relatively short life thus far.

Yes there will be masks. It is the internet afterall, not real life (then again... surgery :p). But this mask doesn't have to be cast over an entire gender!
    Time to give the sterotypical views a rest? Long overdue IMO.

Quote away! But that's my short story.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    blaaa
    @Deck: Thoth

Ah the Aleister Crowley Deck had it, I but it was too negative for my tastes, just like the Waite deck was too boring.

oddly the Thoth deck is almost the same set up as mine, just bigger and darker.

http://www.lepalaisdutarot.com/Tarot/Golden_Dawn_Tarot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It was not meant to be nothing but a survey. I can't believe the trolls that are here tonight.:mad:
    Ask a troll-worthy question, get a troll answer. Yes, there are women here, there are men here, there are men pretending to be women here, and there are even women pretending to be men here. It's the internet, you should expect this.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ask a troll-worthy question, get a troll answer. Yes, there are women here, there are men here, there are men pretending to be women here, and there are even women pretending to be men here. It's the internet, you should expect this.

couldn't agree more
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is the internet.

On the internet:
    1. Men are men
    2. Women are men
    3. Kids are FBI agents

Good luck.

- G

Edit:
    I like this post! :) It's funny, tongue in cheek, and has some very, very truthful and good advice.

I had a friend once who had someone who pretended she was handicapped and sent photos of herself and even faked a whole mom thanking him for treating her daughter so nicely. It was pretty sick stuff. This person posted pictures they got from another woman's site. That's just one of the many examples I've seen of men getting duped.

I can't tell you how many times I've met people online who say they are female, but after chatting with them for a while (months/weeks) they finally realize I really am a female gamer and they come out as a male (of course I keep their anonymity).

It's not a big deal either way. I like their company and they never had to lie about their non avatar sex in the first place. :(

Your post was very insightful and helpful for people who believe avatars are women online and offline when it's only online. Usually it has been my experience there are lots of us out here, but you guys outnumber us... FOR NOW!! ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I once experienced someone getting kick/banned from a teamspeak server. Well, thats not special. But it was a woman and the kick message read something along the line of: "WAH! WOMEN! OUTOUTOUTOUT! SCARY! INTERNET = MEN!".

Hm. Psychatrist fail?
    I don't even understand what that kick message meant. :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just wanted to take a survey to see if there were any female gamers here. Or if you know any female gamers playing STO. Thank you in advance.

Way to point out that you are a stalker. GG
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is the internet.

On the internet:
    1. Men are men
    2. Women are men
    3. Kids are FBI agents

Good luck.

- G

I approve this post.

:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hm. Psychatrist fail?

Whoever kicked her has some serious issues.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hm. Psychatrist fail?

It's sad but the're still not enough woman in the 'harder' tech fields and derivates and those that are there are often looked at as not belonging there :(. Same for gaming as proven above

Inu

PS although my ex-so's all say that I'm to butch, I'm female (at least last time I checked ;) )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    and those that are there are often looked at as not belonging there

THIS!

/10char
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Everyone here is making the same assumption, and it's just dead wrong. You're defining STO based on what has gone before, and for this game that just doesn't work. That's because it's not just any MMO, it's a Star Trek MMO.

Star Trek has a far more universal appeal than most sci-fi and video game universes, simply because it's Star Trek. To fail to take that factor into account is to fail to understand the nature of Star Trek's appeal and what has made it the massively popular cultural phenomenon that it is.

While it's a clear over-generalization to be sure, men love Trek for the conflict and battles, while women love it for the human aspect, for the personal stories of the crew and their relationships. Star Trek succeeded in both of these in TV and film, and so it's not a real surprise that STO is drawing attention and gaining subscriptions from both women and men.

In short, even though it may look and play somewhat like MMO's many of us have seen and played before, STO is it's own animal, in large part because the universe it's based on is and has been it's own animal for generations. Trying to compare STO to any other MMO out there just won't work because not one of them, including WoW, has even close to the worldwide audience Star Trek does.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beckygrrl wrote: »
    Everyone here is making the same assumption, and it's just dead wrong. You're defining STO based on what has gone before, and for this game that just doesn't work. That's because it's not just any MMO, it's a Star Trek MMO.

Star Trek has a far more universal appeal than most sci-fi and video game universes, simply because it's Star Trek. To fail to take that factor into account is to fail to understand the nature of Star Trek's appeal and what has made it the massively popular cultural phenomenon that it is.

While it's a clear over-generalization to be sure, men love Trek for the conflict and battles, while women love it for the human aspect, for the personal stories of the crew and their relationships. Star Trek succeeded in both of these in TV and film, and so it's not a real surprise that STO is drawing attention and gaining subscriptions from both women and men.

In short, even though it may look and play somewhat like MMO's many of us have seen and played before, STO is it's own animal, in large part because the universe it's based on is and has been it's own animal for generations. Trying to compare STO to any other MMO out there just won't work because not one of them, including WoW, has even close to the worldwide audience Star Trek does.

Brilliant post.

( PS. I love your blog! )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The internet is a massively parallel simulation of consciousness, which is massively parallel in self-awareness. If you are on the internet, you are part of the simulation. So the only thing on the internet is the internet, and each of you is merely a figment of the Internet's imagination.

Thus, there are no females on STO, but some of the self-aware sub-components of the 'net do think they are female.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can say for sure that i am not Mail. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a robot.

But a male robot. I'm in the wrong thread!

/runs out screaming
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes... direct yourself to the "Are there any Male Robots here?"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. Silly post to bein with. I mean, who claims to be taking a "survey" of female gamers on an internet forum anyway? If anyone fell for that, SHAME on you.

But truthfully I can explain the "women are always men on the tintarwebs" posts.

Its simple really; those who post such things have a deep-seated desire to meet the "perfect girl" which in many of our cases is someone who is into gaming and sci-fi and fantasy or whatever. But the catch is that you can nver be sure until you meet them whether or not they are truly female. Which creates something of conflict within the man. "I'm really attracted to this person but they might be a man!" As most hetero men have a strong aversion to anything homosexual in nature they are left feeling deeply troubled and instead of risking the acknowledgement that they can become emotionally interested in another man, they prefer to insist that "There are no women on the internet" and therfore that the person MUST be a man, and just to make absolutely certain that there is no question over their sexuality, they actively attack any insinuation that a person on the internet can be female. Essentially its an extremely agressive self defense mechanism against the perceived danger that homosexuality represents.

Anyway, now that's out of the way, tea anyone?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rabidfish wrote: »
    Hmm. Silly post to bein with. I mean, who claims to be taking a "survey" of female gamers on an internet forum anyway? If anyone fell for that, SHAME on you.

But truthfully I can explain the "women are always men on the tintarwebs" posts.

Its simple really; those who post such things have a deep-seated desire to meet the "perfect girl" which in many of our cases is someone who is into gaming and sci-fi and fantasy or whatever. But the catch is that you can nver be sure until you meet them whether or not they are truly female. Which creates something of conflict within the man. "I'm really attracted to this person but they might be a man!" As most hetero men have a strong aversion to anything homosexual in nature they are left feeling deeply troubled and instead of risking the acknowledgement that they can become emotionally interested in another man, they prefer to insist that "There are no women on the internet" and therfore that the person MUST be a man, and just to make absolutely certain that there is no question over their sexuality, they actively attack any insinuation that a person on the internet can be female. Essentially its an extremely agressive self defense mechanism against the perceived danger that homosexuality represents.

Anyway, now that's out of the way, tea anyone?

Yah, tea please.

( I'll feel much better about the human race if guys step forward and agree with your explanation :p )
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilGrizz wrote: »
    Yah, tea please.

( I'll feel much better about the human race if guys step forward and agree with your explanation :p )

He speaks lies! Lies I say!

Seriously though, he brings up some valid points. But frankly I don't care one way or the other whether the person on the other side of the tube is male or female. Why? It's not like I'll ever meet them, so I don't see the point in caring. ...plus I'm married.

Just my two energy credits.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    GenTechJ wrote: »
    He speaks lies! Lies I say!

Seriously though, he brings up some valid points. But frankly I don't care one way or the other whether the person on the other side of the tube is male or female. Why? It's not like I'll ever meet them, so I don't see the point in caring. ...plus I'm married.

Just my two energy credits.

Can I take those two energy credits you just dropped? Times are tough.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a girl, and frankly, I'm not really worried about whether or not someone is a guy or girl. I'm more worried that the Klingon that just schooled me is a 12 year old.
    :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EvilGrizz wrote: »
    Can I take those two energy credits you just dropped? Times are tough.

Sure, if some Ferengi hasn't already swooped in and nabbed em.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *rolls eyes*

Yes. We exist, probably in larger numbers than anyone believes possible. Why does it matter?