test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sigh bored STTEEAAMMM

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    so after id redownloaded from steam for w/e reason it wanted, i ran the launcher and it did a 59mb patch and i played with no problems for two hours.
    edited January 2010
    Oop. Im not sure what I was doing wrong or if at all I was but ive managed to get it working properly now... Thanks a lot guys and especially you Dammerung!
    edited January 2010
    Dammerung,

Thank you so very much for this solution! You are a genius.

:D
    edited January 2010
    tried to use shadowexplorer but it failed to show the drive that I installed steam onto sadly. oh well.. guess I'll have to try the 10gig solution.
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone completed the Steam re-download? Did the auto patcher have to redo all the beta patches? If so, how big was the patch?

I'm trying to patch the whole 10 gigs through the auto patcher but its going at < 30kb/s so its going to take 6 days at this rate... I want to know if using Steam to download will be faster in the end.
    edited January 2010
    I downloaded the whole thing again and it still won't work.

Trying it by downloading the Beta then I guess patching that Beta to current..
    edited January 2010
    So, Cryptic, between your failure to adequately deliver all those little marketing trinkets promises that had me eager to pre-order and pay in full, and this... this consortium with Steam (whom I had already paid for the game in full through weeks ago) deleting my client and forcing me to download it again eating another 10gb out of my monthly download limit (yes, I live in a country where download limits still exist) - so between all of this, why exactly is it that you think you deserve my money, the same money that you were so avidly honey-tongued and white-lying to get at with these "bonuses" that have become more and more ambiguous right up until release? Moreso than that, why shouldn't I take this TRIBBLE to my country's fair trading ombudsman? You've all the needed details to contact me regarding this, Cryptic. I mean, you've already used them to try and squirrel more cash out of me with promises you've thus far been unable to keep with countless others who did pay.
    edited January 2010
    So, Cryptic, between your failure to adequately deliver all those little marketing trinkets promises that had me eager to pre-order and pay in full, and this... this consortium with Steam (whom I had already paid for the game in full through weeks ago) deleting my client and forcing me to download it again eating another 10gb out of my monthly download limit (yes, I live in a country where download limits still exist) - so between all of this, why exactly is it that you think you deserve my money, the same money that you were so avidly honey-tongued and white-lying to get at with these "bonuses" that have become more and more ambiguous right up until release? Moreso than that, why shouldn't I take this TRIBBLE to my country's fair trading ombudsman? You've all the needed details to contact me regarding this, Cryptic. I mean, you've already used them to try and squirrel more cash out of me with promises you've thus far been unable to keep with countless others who did pay.

/sigh. you do know youre gonna get that stuff on LAUNCH day, right? my god, some people......:rolleyes:
    edited January 2010
    Gotta love people who didn't think to download the client from Cryptic themselves prior to headstart.

LOL
    edited January 2010
    Fleeb wrote:
    Hi Guys,

As far as im aware there is not much you can do unless you have a recent restore point. Even using the steam backup it failed.

Fleeb, thank you very much, dumb TRIBBLE steam got me speed capped there was no way i was getting this game till next month untill you came along. and even then 10gb would have been waisted. so far it seems to be working updating the 59mb now. i really dont get it tho i got too lvl 6 this morning took a break had some food come back cant play cause steam is TRIBBLE.

One question. do you need to play the game threw steam to get your retail key when the 2nd comes? or can i leave steam out of the equasion from now on?

Thank you ever so much.
    Matt
    edited January 2010
    I've been waiting for the download for 8 hours, 8 bloody hours

stupid remote australia
    edited January 2010
    well i just woke up and i rush to my comp, run the desktop shortcut and steam starts and BOOM HEADSHOT i realize i made a huge mistake...

so basicly now STEAM is downloading the game again, so my question is:

Is it worth dling the game again through steam or should i download the client from some other place (if you have a link would be realy sweet)

and if someone has dowloaded through steam, AGAIN -.-, did it work or not?

asking these question since i live in croatia and dont know how these times zones work so i dont know at which point were the posts made

Thanks in advance!!!
    edited January 2010
    docdennis wrote: »
    /sigh. you do know youre gonna get that stuff on LAUNCH day, right? my god, some people......:rolleyes:

Uhh... hyuck fer reals mister? Of course I know NOW. Not when I bought the thing. The advertising and fluff all over Steam when I paid up was that not only would I get these great little toys, I'd get to play with them before everyone else in the headstart program! The way they have cocked this thing up has made it so that one or the other is useless. Taking part in the headstart makes the largest portion of the extras useless because they're designed for use AT character creation, or during the first Tier. Waiting for the extras makes the headstart pointless for obvious reasons. The way that Cryptic have doled out these extras and deals through intermediaries so that they can later go "OH NO GUYS, it's not out fault srsly, blame the retailer this is how we intended it from the start" is just as deceptive and fly-by-night.
    TheMatlock wrote:
    Gotta love people who didn't think to download the client from Cryptic themselves prior to headstart.

LOL
    Yeah, that's the obvious thing that everyone should have thought ahead to do! I mean, who WOULDN'T expect a reputable download platform to flip out and decide it needs to delete and re-download an entire 10gb client? What a bunch of doofuses!
    edited January 2010
    Narghilos wrote: »
    Is it worth dling the game again through steam or should i download the client from some other place (if you have a link would be realy sweet)

Heres where I downloaded it from a couple of weeks back (even though I bought on Steam). This is one of the recommended sites, which was linked from Cryptic's site page list.

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/star-trek-online/pc/
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's the obvious thing that everyone should have thought ahead to do! I mean, who WOULDN'T expect a reputable download platform to flip out and decide it needs to delete and re-download an entire 10gb client? What a bunch of doofuses!

Steams had this problem with at least 2 mmos in the past. I'm trying to remember which single player game it did it too me on as well. Dont get me wrong, I love steam. But you dont play mmo's off it.

Not everyone is going to know, and I doubt any of us naysayers thought to put a post up warning people - I didnt.
    edited January 2010
    I finished my 10 gig Steam download this morning, and it still wont work, comes up with the cryptic crash box.So i've deleted all the STO content from steam and at the moment i'am downloading from another source.
    edited January 2010
    trickle wrote:
    Heres where I downloaded it from a couple of weeks back (even though I bought on Steam). This is one of the recommended sites, which was linked from Cryptic's site page list.

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/star-trek-online/pc/

so basicly i dl the 6.5gb file and than it should be ok, after it patches and everything??

i am not all that into comps so bare with me pls i might have some more n00b questions ;)
    edited January 2010
    tarquinrex wrote: »
    I've been waiting for the download for 8 hours, 8 bloody hours

stupid remote australia

lol only took me about 3 1/2 and im in New Zelanad mate, our net is way worse then yours!
    edited January 2010
    ok.. I downloaded the steam client again as I didn't really have a choice (the 3fl.net.au one was corrupted) and now after the steam one downloaded the patcher is crashing constantly. W T F again?

this is just plain stupid. I've emailed steam and they're conveniently not answering, and I emailed Cryptic and they said it was Steam's fault.

I've asked for my money back but I don't think thats going to happen tbh.
    edited January 2010
    As stated in my post here - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89091

ITS NOT STEAMS FAULT! Cryptic is just pointing the finger because of their mistake of how the game finds Updates.
    edited January 2010
    lol this thread was just suppose to be a funny "how far has your download come" thread. btw dl took 2 hours at 700 kb/s, i went in and set no updates after that when patched using sto client direct, was all np and only 2 hours gone from game play
    edited January 2010
    111% second time through. Steam on Windows restart GG -_-
    edited January 2010
    a) downloaded the 10gig or whatever Steam "update" which just crashed the STO patcher
    b) downloaded *Closed* beta client from 3fl.net.au unzipped and installed this into a different directory
    c) copied the 10gig Steam folder somewhere else
    d) changed the registry entry to the new "Steam" directory
    e) coped the patcher/launcher from the Closed beta
    f) now have a 4gig patch

yahoo'
    edited January 2010

Cryptic is protected under the EULA you agreed to. This thread is an issue with steampowered.com, which is protected by a similar EULA. At most, cryptic/steampowered could probably refund your costs, but cryptic isn't responsible for the steampowered DL issues. Steampowered is a digital download retailer and community server service.
    edited January 2010
    okaww wrote:
    Cryptic is protected under the EULA you agreed to. This thread is an issue with steampowered.com, which is protected by a similar EULA. At most, cryptic/steampowered could probably refund your costs, but cryptic isn't responsible for the steampowered DL issues. Steampowered is a digital download retailer and community server service.

M
    edited January 2010
    in this case, it is steampowered.com. when they tried to update their DL future buyers, it was incompatable with existing folders. It happened before when Steam was involved with other BETAs and early starts. steampowered shouldn't have tried updating their version and forcing their update onto players who already bought it.
    edited January 2010
    M
    edited January 2010
    okaww wrote:
    in this case, it is steampowered.com. when they tried to update their DL future buyers, it was incompatable with existing folders. It happened before when Steam was involved with other BETAs and early starts. steampowered shouldn't have tried updating their version and forcing their update onto players who already bought it.

if you knew about this and didn't turn off "keep this game up to date automatically" option in steam, then you yourself suffered from your own ignorance. and if you knew about this and didn't warn others not to turn off that option, then you are negligent.
    edited January 2010
    ok so it finally got done, now i keeps crashing when it trys to launch again, i tried every thing i could think of but it still crashes! and a restart just made the crashes come faster! :mad:
    edited January 2010
    BorgJedi wrote: »
    ok so it finally got done, now i keeps crashing when it trys to launch again, i tried every thing i could think of but it still crashes! and a restart just made the crashes come faster! :mad:

right click on STO in steam, go to properties, then click on the tab "local files" click on the button "verify local cache integrity" dunno if this will help or not, but it might be a step in the right direction.
This discussion has been closed.