test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sigh bored STTEEAAMMM

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Hi Guys,

As far as im aware there is not much you can do unless you have a recent restore point. Even using the steam backup it failed.

However, if you have a STO steam backup it is possible to get the game to work without downloading the full 10GB again. I think you need windows 7 or vista however.

Firstly, stop the steam client from opening on windows startup. Then close the steam client

Seconly open explorer and navigate to the program files\steam folder

Right click on the steamapps folder and click on properties

Click on the previous version tab

Restore the folder with a previuos version that you know worked to your desktop (or wherever)

Then replace the steamapps folder from the data that you have just retrieved from a restore point.

Then run the Star Trek Online.exe file and you will be on your way.

I hope this helps some people, I was not just going to sit back and let steam download another 10GB.

All i had to download was the 59mb update
    edited January 2010
    Remind me to backup files in the future.

Man I'm peeved.
    edited January 2010
    Windows may have a recent copy stored in a restore point. Windows automatically creates a restore point periodically
    edited January 2010
    Fleeb wrote:
    Windows may have a recent copy stored in a restore point. Windows automatically creates a restore point periodically

Only if you have it set to.
    edited January 2010
    ilarcek wrote:
    Steam works perfectly. I downloaded the beta client from steam when OB started. Didn't have to re-download anything, steam patched up today with the little 59mb patch and works fine.

Steam appears to be downloading the whole damned client for me...4% now @ 2.0MB/sec...so its gotta be a lot bigger then 59MB
    edited January 2010
    My question is will Steam require me to download the 10GB again on the 2/2 Launch day so that I get my retail key, because currently the game is still listed as the Beta. If so that means I will have download 20GB for no reason.
    edited January 2010
    I was looking forward to this headstart and when I downloaded the 59meg patch yesterday I was pleasantly surprised. Between downloading the OB client a couple of times due to errors with Steam etc and what not I was very close to my download limit for the month (which ends on the 10th for some reason. So now my client wants to patch 10GB? W T F??????????????

this is just plain ridiculous and Steam aren't saying squat about it when I email them.

Get your shiznit together I realise its a launch and stuff happens but this is getting stupid
    edited January 2010
    1% at 253kb/s

:(

i hate waking up to things like this...
    edited January 2010
    another fail mmo launch, i suppose there shouldnt be any surprise.

now that im capped and wont be able to play headstart not to mention being unable to play most of my 30 days "free" time i guess i have no choice but to cancel the pre-order. My question is - who stuffed up? Cryptic or STEAM?
    edited January 2010
    i use steam for sto and have not had any problems...

edit: for some reason steam is downloading STO again, though i can run STO just fine from the shortcut i made in beta....
    edited January 2010
    I've already sent an email to Steam outlining my issues and demanding a full refund for the game I cannot play.

Sorry Cryptic if this wasn't your fault but you need to get a handle on your digital distributors a bit better.

I don't regard having to use a restore point as a solution when there is no need to patch 10GB as per the Cryptic team.
    edited January 2010
    To be honest, I'm not even sure what is exactly going on.

I tried to open the beta, which I downloaded through Steam, and it's been stuck on 'Updating Star Trek Online" for about 3 hours now.

It's funny.. It says there are only 14 seconds left, but each 'second' seems to take about 20 minutes, lol.

Any ideas what's going on?
    edited January 2010
    Everyone: Backup the files and don't launch through Steam.

Still, epic fail :(
    edited January 2010
    I've already sent an email to Steam outlining my issues and demanding a full refund for the game I cannot play.

Sorry Cryptic if this wasn't your fault but you need to get a handle on your digital distributors a bit better.

I don't regard having to use a restore point as a solution when there is no need to patch 10GB as per the Cryptic team.

This indeed has nothing to do with Cryptic. The most annoying bit was I was able to log in fine at 6pm today until about 6:15 when I decided to restart the game to see if id have the Borg that way. Safe to say that is when steam wiped my whole folder and decided that a 10gb download would be just what I wanted. Im here 7 1/2 hours later and its on 53%. Im following the other steps and im remaining hopeful.

But yes its an absolutely appauling show of distribution. Fortunately I have a box retail version coming to my house as well as the steam pre-order so as soon as I get that im install via the CD and just using steam to 'add non-steam game'.

By the way if any of you others find it interesting while I was downloading the new 10GB I figured id play another game on my steam list. That too has been deleted...

EDIT: Oookay so ive followed the steps and ive managed to find a 3750mb download from this point. Its a lot better than doing 10gb but it still is going to take around 3-4 hours...
    edited January 2010
    why do you re-download?? i just bought STO via steam, applied the key to my existing account and canceled the steam download... no problems at all, the beta client works fine
    edited January 2010
    Derb wrote:
    why do you re-download?? i just bought STO via steam, applied the key to my existing account and canceled the steam download... no problems at all, the beta client works fine

Because you need a client to actually run the game?

Note I am now using the .exe outside of steam and its still having issues (i copied and pasted the whole steamapps file into a new folder and its still got data missing so it would appear to have been deleted).
    edited January 2010
    Derb wrote:

Because Steam deleted my files before it started upgrading and before I knew what was happening.
    edited January 2010
    ya, my steam was on (cause it's always on) and I get home to go play and I see 7% :( *Cries*

I have the client in another folder, but it wants to patch a 10gb file as well, so ... i don't know what to do now.

I guess i'll just have to wait until tomorrow to play. Thankfully I have 60gb/mo. and i've got a few gig left after all the patches.
    edited January 2010
    Because Steam deleted my files before it started upgrading and before I knew what was happening.

Same for me.

Sadly, it happened before I could do anything... I managed to avert this 're-downloading' thing on CO, because I was smart and downloaded the beta client outside of Steam, but since my pre-order of STO was done on Steam, I really didn't have much choice, it seems.

Obviously, this is going to take a while... I'm at 33%.

Oh well. I guess this means I might have a chance to beat Mass Effect 2 before I fall into the STO grind.
    edited January 2010
    This whole thing, this whole day has been a big let down. I'm past blaming anyone, I just want to play the damn game at this point. The thought that I might DL the 10 bloody gigs again only to have it possibly fail again is really wrecking the release.

I just hope Cryptic and/or steam figure out an easy way to fix the issues...without DLing again!
    edited January 2010
    Theanomaly wrote: »
    Same for me.

Sadly, it happened before I could do anything... I managed to avert this 're-downloading' thing on CO, because I was smart and downloaded the beta client outside of Steam, but since my pre-order of STO was done on Steam, I really didn't have much choice, it seems.

Obviously, this is going to take a while... I'm at 33%.

Oh well. I guess this means I might have a chance to beat Mass Effect 2 before I fall into the STO grind.

dont get excited people...i re-downloaded and like many people now the game freezes on the patch updater....

still no responce from steam...i suppose steam has our money now and dont give a rats
    edited January 2010
    Its normal and ofhten that you must redownload the hole client from steam!

Example: King Arthur "A Modern Warfare Game"

I have bought KA today in media markt (germany) , then i install it from dvd, and... it runs through steam but the font dont appear. The support from steam tell me, delete the content (local) and then download the game new from steam.

So i ask me myself: Why must i download a ****ing game, when i have it physically on dvd at home......
    edited January 2010
    hoonz97 wrote: »
    dont get excited people...i re-downloaded and like many people now the game freezes on the patch updater....

still no responce from steam...i suppose steam has our money now and dont give a rats

i don't think that is the case. They have never done anything like this on purpose, and I have never had this happen with any other steam pre-release game I have purchased.

It's probably a decimal place in the wrong spot. (Office Space)
    edited January 2010
    Cryptic and Steam better both be giving.. some rat asses, so to speak. :P

I'm not surprised, though. Cryptic is the king of MMO oversights and Steam, which is usually incredibly efficient, just can't seem to handle MMO releases very well.
    edited January 2010
    hoonz97 wrote: »

Yea I liked how they took your cash when you pre-ordered. Always didn't understand that one. Most other retailers wait until they have the goods to ship. Steam just takes your cash there and then. Oh and I found out that after I had made my first pre-order and they took my cash the game had been reduced in price by £10 but they hadn't refunded that £10. I sorted that out through support but this whole STO experience has put me off steam. Im only going to use it as a social tool from now on.

A shame really. I was new to this whole digital download business and ive managed to get 2-3 games out of it and im showed this ugly side of it. Won't be going back to digital downloads any time soon.

And I can bet you 100% that we will NOT get an apology of any sort. Not even Cryptic will apologise for TRIBBLE their launch up. Not sure why im hugely bothered by that but I guess it doesn't take much to accept you screwed up... Guess we will all see just how arrogant these companies are in the coming hours.
    edited January 2010
    This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
    For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go :D

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!
    edited January 2010
    I was getting the 10gb Steam download also, but you can play through the beta client.

If you know how to edit a registry, go to your registry and change the Cryptic folder to have star trek online launch from whatever folder your beta install is. It will require you to download the small patch (50mb?) but that is fast and you can play while Steam re-downloads...........or you can just skip the Steam install all together.

Using the Steam product key for the game and having an active Cryptic account is all you really need, you can play the beta client or the Steam client.
    edited January 2010
    Dammerung wrote: »
    This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
    For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go :D

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!

Uh, one problem.

There is no "Star Trek Online" folder within steamapps/common for me, suddenly.

Maybe because it already restarted the download?
    edited January 2010
    Weird I downloaded the steam client a couple of days ago now with no worries, although it still seems happy to use the OB clent.
    edited January 2010
    Theanomaly wrote: »
    Uh, one problem.

There is no "Star Trek Online" folder within steamapps/common for me, suddenly.

Maybe because it already restarted the download?

Do you mean in ShadowExplorer or currently?

If you mean currently then just copy into the common folder anyway, Steam will recognize the download as being complete and STO should work.
This discussion has been closed.