test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

sigh bored STTEEAAMMM

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ah now i get it, steam deleted the beta client, that sucks

i downloaded the beta client from another source thats why it still works for me
    edited January 2010
    Dammerung wrote: »
    Do you mean in ShadowExplorer or currently?

If you mean currently then just copy into the common folder anyway, Steam will recognize the download as being complete and STO should work.

I mean in ShadowExplorer. There is no STO folder... infact, I can't find one anywhere now that Steam's reinitialized the download.
    edited January 2010
    Well, finished the 10gb download, now it wont patch.

Awesome job Steam/Cryptic.
    edited January 2010
    *sigh*

To bad they got rid of all the post made from before and during open beta.

Because i said Steam would likely f*** something up. I figured it would have been the Open Beta. But they seemed to have gotten that right. surprisingly.

It is only sensible to assume they would TRIBBLE up headstart, or launch, probably both.

Now I am at 11 percent and re-downloading a second time.

After that is done again. I will be shutting off steam and only using the launcher. Because as far as what I have heard it does not need steam in order to run. Thank god for that.
    edited January 2010
    I knew I should have bypassed Steam....they did this to me once before with another game...

I'm at 37%...bull TRIBBLE man...total bull...
    edited January 2010
    Theanomaly wrote: »
    I mean in ShadowExplorer. There is no STO folder... infact, I can't find one anywhere now that Steam's reinitialized the download.

In ShadowExplorer above the file tree, there are two drop down box menus. One is the drive selection, the other is the restore point selection. Is the restore point that is currently selected from after Steam redid the STO download?
    edited January 2010
    grimben wrote: »
    Well, finished the 10gb download, now it wont patch.

Awesome job Steam/Cryptic.

If it's not working, I'd suggest trying to find a version of the Open Beta client mirrored somewhere, and download it. The beta client seems to be working fine, so it's worth a shot.

I guess those are my plans, if this download doesn't work. The whole 'Shadow Explorer' thing isn't working for me. No STO folders to be found.
    edited January 2010
    In ShadowExplorer above the file tree, there are two drop down box menus. One is the drive selection, the other is the restore point selection. Is the restore point that is currently selected from after Steam redid the STO download?

No, it isn't. Maybe this'll work. Thanks a lot! Trying it now.
    edited January 2010
    This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
    For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go :D

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!

i have just done this AFTER re-downloading the 10 gigs over again and i was getting the freezing during patching...

my results are atm... downloading a 900 meg patch....will update later to see if it goes thru...ty for posting this mate...your already a step ahead of steam i see :P
    edited January 2010
    it doesnt default automatically to the last restore point you need to select the last restore point that shows the steam directory/sto folder and export from their.
    edited January 2010
    hoonz97 wrote: »
    i have just done this AFTER re-downloading the 10 gigs over again and i was getting the freezing during patching...

my results are atm... downloading a 900 meg patch....will update later to see if it goes thru...ty for posting this mate...your already a step ahead of steam i see :P

Sounds like a one-legged man with a stubbed toe could be one step ahead of Steam right now.
    edited January 2010
    45% at 1.5 mb/s
    edited January 2010
    i`m personally giving steam the FU , i been waiting for this game for years , and to have to come home on a friday evening. after putting in 40 hours at work , another 16 in school and not be able to play is bulldookie .
    i`m redling client , getting my key and removing steam from my life .
    edited January 2010
    No, it isn't. Maybe this'll work. Thanks a lot! Trying it now.

Go to a restore point from when STO was still in beta or something the folder should be there then.
    edited January 2010
    Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited January 2010
    Go to a restore point from when STO was still in beta or something the folder should be there then.

Thanks for your help. I found it, and it's exporting now.

How long does it usually take? Mine seems to be stuck at about 25%.. though, it could be because it's exporting the big game file. Are my suspicions well-founded, or have I encountered some type of error?
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for your help. I found it, and it's exporting now.

How long does it usually take? Mine seems to be stuck at about 25%.. though, it could be because it's exporting the big game file. Are my suspicions well-founded, or have I encountered some type of error?

It takes about 10-15 mins, it sits at 25% then jumps when it's done lol.
    edited January 2010

Alright, it's done. I'm replacing the files with the others, now.

Should I have deleted the newer STO folder, and then dragged the other in its place?

I decided to merge the two and replace with the files from ShadowExplorer..

I hope my lack of competence with computers didn't serve me poorly.
    edited January 2010

OMG. It's working.

Marry me?

Seriously, though, thank you for everything.

I'll be Jaa'rok@TheAnomaly in game, drop me a line and maybe I can pay you back someday.
    edited January 2010
    This is for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users only. Windows Xp does not have the shadow copy feature so those users are out of luck here. Also if you do not have system restore turned on then this solution does not apply to you either.

"From time to time, Windows® VistaTM creates point-in-time copies of your files. This allows you to retrieve older versions from files you accidentally deleted or altered. This service is turned on by default on all versions of Windows® VistaTM, but Microsoft grants access to these copies only in Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions. This is where ShadowExplorer comes into play. For more information on Shadow Copy, visit Microsofts website."

1. Download ShadowExplorer http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html

2. In ShadowExplorer go to
    For 64-bit users C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

3. Right click on the folder titles star trek online and click export.

4. Export the star trek online folder to your desktop or wherever you want it.

5. Close Steam

6. For 64-bit users open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
    For 32-bit users open C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common

7. Replace the star trek online folder that is already in there with the one you recovered using ShadowExplorer.

8. Run Star Trek Online with the shortcut Steam originally placed on your desktop, steam will launch Star Trek Online, it will then do a very small update that will only take a few seconds.

9. After that the Star Trek Online Launcher will open and install the 59mb patch.

10. That's it! You're good to go :D

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Post your results!!!

I followed those steps and I have to download the 10gb again. I checked it was a good date too and everything... Perhaps I did something else wrong?
    edited January 2010
    sparkeh86 wrote: »
    I followed those steps and I have to download the 10gb again. I checked it was a good date too and everything... Perhaps I did something else wrong?

Yeah, quit running STO through steam. Just launch STO directly, it does not require steam to run.
    edited January 2010
    Alright, it's done. I'm replacing the files with the others, now.

Should I have deleted the newer STO folder, and then dragged the other in its place?

I decided to merge the two and replace with the files from ShadowExplorer..

I hope my lack of competence with computers didn't serve me poorly.

Your decision was correct :]
    edited January 2010
    OMG. It's working.

Marry me?

Seriously, though, thank you for everything.

I'll be Jaa'rok@TheAnomaly in game, drop me a line and maybe I can pay you back someday.

You're welcome :]
    edited January 2010
    sparkeh86 wrote: »

Did you close steam while you did all that like I said to?
    And did you merge the folders and replace any files if it asked you to?
    edited January 2010
    Well, I found a beta downloader and am re-re-patching again without Steam. Seems to be working fine.

Never again, Steam. Never again......
    edited January 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    We're looking into this folks, please be patient.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Patient? HELLO! Please be competent and test your **** before release.

I'll be patient by issuing a lifetime charge back. 15 hour download across 25 Mbit/s FIOS? Yea, right. No one's that patient.

I usually download games and patches on Steam at 2-3 MByte (yes that's 16-24 mbit/sec). It's by far the best game CDN on the planet, yet your game is downloading at 20-30 KByte/sec. Pathetic. And after I already downloaded the beta.

Nice testing. At least with the Aion release I didn't have to re-download anything.
    edited January 2010
    steam has NEVER had a big digital release without TONS of problems, those that got empire total war know what im talking about.

They wont requisition more bandwith for huge releases, it is not tested just implemented on their existing software, so expect a steam patch to fix any issues, and as for bandwith, they will not do anything, it isn't worth the investment to please a few people complaining for 1 or 2 days.

It has always been like this with steam, unless its a valve product, then its flawless :p

All in all though, steam is pretty awesome.
    edited January 2010
    What kills me about this is the 10 GB DL corrupted my steam client and all internal files. So, now I have to re install steam and ALL 45 games...

This, after playing an hour before steam decided to TRIBBLE their customers over...
    edited January 2010
    Yep ive done everything that has been suggested using the shadow thingy. If I run it through steam it starts downloading some patch (it doesnt say how big). If I do it through the desktop shortcut I made (direct client link) it just starts the 10GB dl again...
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for posting this twice in 2 threads but im really losing patience.

I have followed each step explained and have managed to get the DL down to a 1.5gb patch. The problem now is the client crashes after 30 or so seconds. Any ideas?

Oh and thank you very much for the help so far guys. Really its great to know that there are some people who are actually helpful. Heck maybe Cryptic could do with employing you. It seems you outperform their current staff anyway...
This discussion has been closed.