What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 23, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Don't you morons read the Server status?? (Top of homepage) It says Undergoing maintenance like the other 2 times today. Each time a patch has been released. So it's not a crash and don't let any other TRIBBLE here tell you otherwise, there just patching a few fixes here and there...... Believe it or not they actually do that in beta's.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MrBlinker wrote:
    I'm like... literally a mission away from Captain. :x

lol

On a side note, you still have 2 days! ;p

Im in the same boat with you. Was working on a mission out near DS9. The Simple Task mission or something like that. That would have pushed me up to 31 and Captain.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just got kicked out mid-mission and now I'm stuck at Connecting to login server .. guess we have server issues at the moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wrote:

I hate to say this here, but you Sir are a fool.

The public/semi-public testing phase started in September. The "bug testing" is pretty much over at the moment aside from stability and balance. I agree that as this isn't retail we can't expect a retail quality of service. But playing through content and stressing things is what this is for. And as a PREVIEW. If you really wanted to test where were you on the CB forums the last few months?

but by playing the game and looking at all the content...I AM finding bugs...big hairy ones that eat the hamster
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    the devs are probely are all at home and convinced that they have fixed it earlier. TRIBBLE
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really hope all these crashes are due to the server hardware capacity, and not software.
    If its software, oh hell best get to work early this week dev's cause stuff like this, and this often, will be a detriment to the game and regular box sales.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't you morons read the Server status?? (Top of homepage) It says Undergoing maintenance like the other 2 times today. Each time a patch has been released. So it's not a crash and don't let any other TRIBBLE here tell you otherwise, there just patching a few fixes here and there.

if its just a patch, explain why there was no warning and explain the lack of a post from the devs explaining that there is sever downtime right now :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If this is to be the norm when the game goes live, then they are gonna lose alot of customers.
    Actually they will only lose the impatient customers who do not realize MMO's always take a few weeks (or more) to shake out the problems, even after going live.

We should set expectations right now, the server will continue to do this kind of thing for a few weeks after release.

Reason? Because the sheer number of people who will start playing AFTER the launch will be much much higher than the people playing in Beta. I have a number of friends waiting for the game to release. And I know a lot of people won't want to spoil their fun by participating in the Beta.

They've asked me how it is going, and I've told them it has come a long way in the past couple of weeks, but fully anticipate the usual opening month jitters. They aren't concerned, because they are all MMO veterans, and know full well that these things happen for awhile.

To be honest, anyone who isn't willing to go through a lot of ups and downs in an MMO should never play them during the first couple of months. Wait until early spring, and this game will be rock solid. And those of us with the stomach for it will have helped them get it that way.

Of course, those people who don't like the problems that come during the first weeks of an MMO's release should NEVER consider participating in Open Beta OR Head Start programs :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    notice the lack of a post from the devs.

i wonder if they even know the server is down

I expect at least a few bits of profanity as a sleepy eyed tech finds he needs to save the server at this hour.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm gonna start referring to the server as Kenny.

They Dervished Kenney!
    You Bast'rds!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't you morons read the Server status?? (Top of homepage) It says Undergoing maintenance like the other 2 times today. Each time a patch has been released. So it's not a crash and don't let any other TRIBBLE here tell you otherwise, there just patching a few fixes here and there...... Believe it or not they actually do that in beta's.

Didnt you read the title of this thread? it says Unexpected. That means they didn't plan it but reacted to a problem ( aka Server go boom ). But you are right. We are the morons. Kudos to you. You get a gold star.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I would check the mirror for the moron, old chap. It's easy to cover your tracks by releasing a patch, when you have 2 hours to prep up the fixes you'd been working on and make them into a rush patch. I'd also question the number of Beta's you've been involved with. If these are maintenance breaks, then this is the only Beta that I've ever done where maintenance is done with absolutely no notice. I would suggest that you rethink your fanboi strategy, at present it has as many holes in it as a sieve.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again.

Here we go!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    if its just a patch, explain why there was no warning and explain the lack of a post from the devs explaining that there is sever downtime right now :confused:

Mate there has never been a warning in open beta, I've seen a few in Closed beta informing people downtime.

I'm sure if you give them time there will be a post .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kineel wrote:
    Actually they will only lose the impatient customers who do not realize MMO's always take a few weeks (or more) to shake out the problems, even after going live.

We should set expectations right now, the server will continue to do this kind of thing for a few weeks after release.

Reason? Because the sheer number of people who will start playing AFTER the launch will be much much higher than the people playing in Beta. I have a number of friends waiting for the game to release. And I know a lot of people won't want to spoil their fun by participating in the Beta.

They've asked me how it is going, and I've told them it has come a long way in the past couple of weeks, but fully anticipate the usual opening month jitters. They aren't concerned, because they are all MMO veterans, and know full well that these things happen for awhile.

To be honest, anyone who isn't willing to go through a lot of ups and downs in an MMO should never play them during the first couple of months. Wait until early spring, and this game will be rock solid. And those of us with the stomach for it will have helped them get it that way.

Of course, those people who don't like the problems that come during the first weeks of an MMO's release should NEVER consider participating in Open Beta OR Head Start programs :D

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    scottmana wrote: »
    I expect at least a few bits of profanity as a sleepy eyed tech finds he needs to save the server at this hour.

somehow I wonder how that phone call went...i picture something like the one from independence day
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    but by playing the game and looking at all the content...I AM finding bugs...big hairy ones that eat the hamster

I dfidn't try to say its bug free. The game has bugs, the sort of thing you notice when ppl plough through content. I would support you in thnis thought. It's a shame they aren't out yet bui it looks like the retail timescale and so on has won over QC again in an MMO. I just allow myself the thought that the game has POTENTIAL and I dumped my life sub money down on this basis..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The only way they can fix this TRIBBLE is if they start fixing it and one of them writes a nice long technical post on whats wrong, what has been done to fix it and how its never going to happen again.

I'm sure they are going to get very very bad rumor spreading if they can't keep the server running at 6 in the morning eastern time. The server has to be stable in a game that plays this much like a single player RPG as those types of players do not respond well to sudden immersion exits.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm wondering, did the server come back up at all? I went to bed at 3am and it's now 11:10am and servers are still down. I'm hoping that there's nothing went really wrong with the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    scottmana wrote: »
    Hmm, I doubt this actually. I fully expect that they have the 24/7 maintenance crew working the issues round the clock now. In preparation for release. Remember that they also have Champions Online that they run live. So the same staff will be available around the clock.

The guy who is cursing under his breath is the developer if the problem turns out to be something one of them needs to come in to fix.

Been that guy. Err, I still am that guy as I think about it. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes very well said
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dominatus wrote: »
    I would check the mirror for the moron, old chap. It's easy to cover your tracks by releasing a patch, when you have 2 hours to prep up the fixes you'd been working on and make them into a rush patch. I'd also question the number of Beta's you've been involved with. If these are maintenance breaks, then this is the only Beta that I've ever done where maintenance is done with absolutely no notice. I would suggest that you rethink your fanboi strategy, at present it has as many holes in it as a sieve.

The maintenance period 6 hours ago fixed many bugs and everybody complained that it crashed, personally it would seem they were getting ready to apply a patch similar to Blizzards system which they distributed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bed Time !!
    Server Down Again.

....Just as I was handling "Foreign Policy"....
    The server crashed.....

I see that most of the bugs have been "sorted out"....and now its a traffic issue with the server and creating a stable environment.
    I did notice that the
    "Green Bug" Icon used to report bugs is missing.

It is best to stop for tonite and start fresh in the morning....given the 3 hour window they need for maint.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure they are going to get very very bad rumor spreading if they can't keep the server running at 6 in the morning eastern time. The server has to be stable in a game that plays this much like a single player RPG as those types of players do not respond well to sudden immersion exits.

yea when i played FF7/8/9/10 i woulda gone nuts if my console said 'nah... downtime. come back later'
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't know about most folks but this OB is what I am basing my decision on as to whether I actually buy the game or not. If this is going to be the state of the regular game I'm not likely to fork over $50. The whole point of a Beta it seems to me, is to fix problems before launch. So I would think that this close to launch most issues would be sorted out by now. While the game seems a bit better than it was a week ago, it still appears woefully short of being ready for launch and for the masses one would expect at that time.

It seems rather amusing that they state that with this being the last weekend of OB they want us to test as much as we can, yet the server crashes every few hours.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The maintenance period 6 hours ago fixed many bugs and everybody complained that it crashed, personally it would seem they were getting ready to apply a patch similar to Blizzards system .

My guess, and mind you its only that, is that the server did indeed crash since there was no warning and they had been giving those out in game recently. And since it was down they went ahead with a patch they had been working on for later in the day. Two birds and all.

Both times the server went down today it has been followed with a, This was unexpected thread from the devs.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WanraK wrote: »
    Party Time !!
    Server Down Again....

...I did notice that the "Green Bug" Icon used to report bugs is missing.

it's not gone....they moved it... it's not a green bug icon anymore... it's a help menu option now
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guffer_dk wrote: »
    Or perhabs they experiment with the soft/hardware before release, to avoid such things happening after release :) Which imo is a good thing for those who going to play this great game after release :)

Sure they can experiment, but this is not the first unscheduled downtime these last couple of days. I'm a Lifetime subscriber so I can wait, but what about the fact that this game is much more unstable now then it has been before. It's more unstable then Champions was this close to launch. It's the same engine after all. So what will the impression be for those who haven't been in Beta and just bought this new flashy game they want to play and it behaves like this? They will most likely shelve the game and forget about it.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█. NCC-92872 .
    • TMT Fleet▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ TMT...-.... FLEET
    • Lt. Commander JohGeiz th'Shrox▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ TMT..-.. FLEET
    • Tactical Captain.▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ TMT-... FLEET
    • U.S.S. Rainbow Warrior.▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ TMT.-- FLEET
    █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█.. TMT FLEET -.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WanraK wrote: »
    Bed Time !!
    Server Down Again.

....Just as I was handling "Foreign Policy"....
    The server crashed.....

I see that most of the bugs have been "sorted out"....and now its a traffic issue with the server and creating a stable environment.
    I did notice that the
    "Green Bug" Icon used to report bugs is missing.

It is best to stop for tonite and start fresh in the morning....given the 3 hour window they need for maint.

the green bug is now a question mark next to your minimap
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alot of these complaints are about not being informed not the fact there upset with the server coming down... i have beta tested alot of games in the past (Been Beta Testing Since EQ1) most companys had the courtesy of letting you know 5 - 10 - 15 minutes via a ingame GM message and on the forums.

I am aware this looks like a crash because of the message on the front page "Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible"

normally if it is a maintenance Downtime they would give a ETA on the server being up.... but back to my origional message.... all most of us want is a little courtesy and a little more info