Install Arc
Options

Path to 2409: 2385 Supplemental Log

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ok, first I havnt read all forum post.
    apparently the game wont follow any continuity with the books because with the destiny triliogy the borg were ....changed to a race that will help people instead of assimilating them. (if you havnt read it do so )all traces of borg implants disapperead from seven at the end of the series.

now it is not impossible for the original borg to return in some way ...this is star trek after all

Well don't forget that while Cryptic said that they would be incorporating some ideas from the pocket novels, they did say that they were going to pick and choose. They clearly made a decision that they want the Borg to be the current big bad guys for everyone, regardless of faction. While the Destiny series are very well written and have the best suggestion for the creation, and even destruction, of the Borg I've seen yet (though it was slightly Deus Ex Machin-ish), it doesn't mesh with the universe that Cryptic wants to make. So they'll take small details from those books, probably include mostly stuff from the TNG relaunch series and the Titan series, but don't expect much Destiny to go in there.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I love the interview format and look forward to more updates. And, like most of us here, agree that disbanding the anti-Borg taskforce was just asking for trouble. I do wonder that, in the case that 7 of 9 doesn't make an appearance, will we see her children? I mean, last I heard she was starting a relationship with Chakoaty (can't remember how to spell it). For that matter, I wonder if Cryptic will throw in any other sons/daughters of our favorite characters. Hmm.... Just food for thought. (I hoped I said that right.)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sevenblade wrote: »
    Well don't forget that while Cryptic said that they would be incorporating some ideas from the pocket novels, they did say that they were going to pick and choose. They clearly made a decision that they want the Borg to be the current big bad guys for everyone, regardless of faction. While the Destiny series are very well written and have the best suggestion for the creation, and even destruction, of the Borg I've seen yet (though it was slightly Deus Ex Machin-ish), it doesn't mesh with the universe that Cryptic wants to make. So they'll take small details from those books, probably include mostly stuff from the TNG relaunch series and the Titan series, but don't expect much Destiny to go in there.

Last time I checked, Paramount didn't let anyone dictate how the Star Trek universe was shaped without their approval, and they are pretty strict about things meshing together.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    dr.watson wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Paramount didn't let anyone dictate how the Star Trek universe was shaped without their approval, and they are pretty strict about things meshing together.

I would love to see alot of paramounts fingers/money in this game. It would be amazing seeing what cryptic could do, and heck what shows/series could be the product of such an action:D
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Ok. That's pretty much a given for anyone who has even some kind of understanding of canon and canon policy. No one ever said STO was going to be canon or officially endorsed by Paramount as such. It's fairly common knowledge that STO will not be canon, and therefore can choose whatever storyline they want to assemble in creating the game. Granted, they will have to deal with Paramount in getting the rights to use all of their intellectual property (which they probably already have, seeing as how there's even an STO moving forward at all), but they still have creative license over their own game. To use a sad example, there's no way anyone seriously considers Legacy canon, yet it was still made without Paramount having a problem. Don't forget that the canon policy still applies only to the movies and shows, though I'll admit I wish they would endorse some books (like Titan and others), and STO if it proves popular and retains the quality of the storyline so far.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Starfleet needs to wake up. if they dont Prepare for the borg then VERY BAD THINGS HAPPEN. When I read this Interview it personally reminded me of a certain clip of a TNG episode...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LFXbxmGVY&feature=related

You wont be dissapointed.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nice one, I like it. Not too sure who Alivet is, I avoid these forums as much as possible. :p But a <3 for her anyway. Just don't tell my wife. I already get in trouble for giving a <3 to CO too often.

...and sam axe and denny crane and dean winchester and bsg and golf and candy and mcdonalds.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    sweet, does this mean i get to pay 15$ a month to see 7of9 up close and personal? damn, too bad im gonna be a klingon :P
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Awen wrote:
    Actually, Alivet wrote this. She's fantastically talented and you will see more of this from her. :)

Well then, thank you Alivet! More, please!

Pick a character, any character -- there must be so many stories to be told between the end of Star Trek: Nemesis and 2409.

Cheers,

KOS
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sherp wrote: »
    That's not even what I was talking about. Dear little Annika is going to be impossible to negotiate with on subjects such as bedtime, driving privileges, or whose turn it is to replicate dinner. Every such discussion will invariably end with "Crying is irrelevant," or simply "YOU WILL COMPLY."

Not to mention that such motherly subtleties as tucking Icheb into bed, seeing him off to school, and kissing scrapes to make them better will be completely lost on her. Heck, for scrapes, she'll probably just squirt some nanoprobes at him--problem solved.

In fact, nanoprobes may turn out to be her all-purpose panacea for all of life's ills. Failed a test? Nanoprobes to augment the brain. Beat up at school? Add more nanoprobes. Dumped on his first date? NANOPROBES. Icheb will be 90% metal by weight by the time he graduates from the Academy and will be as emotionally distant as the next galaxy.

Seriously. Annika Hansen is not qualified to be a mother. No way, no how.

No, I got that, I was just adding another con to having Annika as a mom. Though you seem to forget that Icheb is already a teenager, almost full grown by now. I really hope she's not supposed to tuck him or kiss scrapes to make them better lol.
    I was just saying that if Icheb makes any male adolescent friends at the academy, their hormones won't let him hear the end of their misguided fantasies about his mom, which can be quite awkward.

Of course, then the person right after me had to prove my point by not even reading the intent of my post and drool all over a fictional character like a dog in heat :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, I got that, I was just adding another con to having Annika as a mom. Though you seem to forget that Icheb is already a teenager, almost full grown by now. I really hope she's not supposed to tuck him or kiss scrapes to make them better lol.
    I was just saying that if Icheb makes any male adolescent friends at the academy, their hormones won't let him hear the end of their misguided fantasies about his mom, which can be quite awkward.

Of course, then the person right after me had to prove my point by not even reading the intent of my post and drool all over a fictional character like a dog in heat :rolleyes:

Are you saying that raising a teenager is easier than raising a ten-year-old? :p I think the parents of the world would contest that idea.

Just teasing. I see your point.

Hee hee hee...
    "It is time for you to regenerate."
    "Mother, I have not yet finished my--"
    shhik *nanotubules come out* "COMPLY."
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Great addition to the story of 2385! Thanks!

Since they're on some of the first released screenshots it's likely we will encounter the Borg again.
    In my opinion the crucial point about the Borg is to make them really dangerous again. That is why I think it's necessary to have "new" Borg in 2409 which have evolved in some way and are coming back with new strenght, new abilities to be a real threat.

Weak Borg are boring, I want to fear them!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sheesh, try not to be so positive :rolleyes:

It's Lotusfleet what do you expect? :rolleyes:

Anywho I thought it was excellent they got the Character of Seven dead on, and it was a very Trekish setting. Keep up the awesomeness Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I lov how lots of people are like "OMG! 7 is so hot cant wait to meet her in game !"

Need I remind everyone that if we do find her in game she would be in her late 50's or early 60's

But aside from that this was a great rea , hopefully more of the same will follow...

If you keep up with the Trek universe you would know that Sixty is considered the beginning of Middle age; diametrically Middle Age today is considered be forty Five (acording to U.S. Administration on Aging) up five years from forty in 1982...now I don't know about you but I think there are some smoking Forty year olds out there.

Just saying
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Borg is like the common cold...
    There is no cure, just a treatment...
    Persistence is anything but futile.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    interesting read, may bring about some good anti-Borg messures for all our ships
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think this storyline sets up for a series of missions in game. Helping out the Daystrom Institute acquiring rare parts and pieces of borg technology to help further research, as well as, like Annika states, when, not if, they show up in the Alpha Quadrant again.

I am soooo looking forward to it. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Interesting update, but uncertain how globally significant it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The borg are dreadful and have no fashion sense whatsoever. The borg need an extreme makeover, which I shall provide with my ship's weapons system. Seven of nine is too pedantic to serve aboard my ship tho and I dont like crewmember who question my orders. Keep up the good work.

Tem
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This didn't make any sense.

Didn't make much sense to me either, other than to whet players' appetites.
    They choose a goal and continue until they achieve it. The Borg are infinitely patient. They can afford to be.

If their sole purpose is assimilation of cultures and technologies, and they're so intent on getting the Federation's, then why stop and wait? Doesn't seem like a machine, however biologically supplemented, to be patient in tackling a problem. And how can they afford to be, since it's most likely that their target's level of scientific sophistication will only advance during that time, and it make more difficult to overcome (assuming the Borg, without this benefit, won't be doing the same)?

I'd love it if they did show up, they were still sporting Pentium processors against the latest in 25th-century hardware, and got blown out of the sky.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Interesting I find it odd though that they shut down the borg taskforce after only 7 years if my memory is correct they had ships patrolling the romulan neutral zone for over 50 years even though they had no contact with them. I think it is interesting that starfleet would give up so quickly on the taskforcce even though the bord is vastly more dangerous then the romulans.:eek:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Horizon113 wrote: »
    Interesting I find it odd though that they shut down the borg taskforce after only 7 years if my memory is correct they had ships patrolling the romulan neutral zone for over 50 years even though they had no contact with them. I think it is interesting that starfleet would give up so quickly on the taskforcce even though the bord is vastly more dangerous then the romulans.:eek:

The neutral zone was an established border right on the edge of Federation space and part of an active diplomatic agreement of non-aggression. The Borg as far as anyone without the benefit the game trailer knows (good call Sevenblade) are crippled and stranded 75 light years away in the delta quadrant. It is very difficult to ask people to plan and divert resources for an attack that they don’t think will happen for almost a century if ever; and even that is working on the assumption that the Borg haven't found anything else more pressing to do.
    If the trailer is showing one of the initial attacks of the Borg and it takes place during the time frame the game is set in it would still be another 24 years after this interview.

Once again I'm not saying I think its the right move but it's not nearly as unrealistic as people are making it out to be. To them it probably looks like when you get an old guy on the bus yelling about his German neighbor being a spy for the Kaiser.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think peoples' opinion that the Borg are still a threat has anything to do with the trailer nor the knowledge that they will be antagonists in the game.

It is tactical common sense. The Borg were on the verge of destroying the Alpha quadrant. They are far stronger than the romulans or the Klingons would ever be, and thus a much larger threat to the Federation. It is a significant danger, that could easily never be considered 'solved'.

So while I can understand how Star Fleet 'Intelligence' would come to the opinion that the Alpha Quadrant is Borg Safe, I would say that I am sure there are many that still remember the threat from 8 years prior, and lose sleep over their potential return.

It is not like it has been 100 years without incident. It is not like if the Borg suddenly arrived, that the Federation could easily hold their ground. If they return, it will be ugly, and that is why people feel that Star Fleets decision to be foolish. It like saying that Los Angeles and San Francisco are safe from earthquakes because it has been a decade since a significant one, and thus, earthquake insurance is no longer needed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This may be the best addition to the time line yet. I think the tone of 7 of 9's words fit her characterization, and it's simply nice to have one's thoughts confirmed. Other than that, what makes it really work is that it doesn't just dump the information, even though it only introduced one piece of major historical information, and a few biographical details, it did so in a memorable, readable, accessible, and entertaining manner. If the other time line parts were done as stories of various styles, it would, overall, be more effective.

On the the technical side, did you mean to write amenable instead of amiable? Or did 7 think of herself as an authority and the Institute being responsive to her, rather than open and friendly? That would actually fit 7.:D

Background wise, it doesn't make sense for Starfleet not to recognize the Doctor as a person. Data was determined to be his own person easily enough, and the Exo-comps and nanites were declared by Picard to be people, and presumably that determination was supported by Starfleet. However, it really isn't up to Starfleet, but whatever civilian governments. Starfleet can decide how it will treat people, but can't do that for the civilizations that make up the Federation. The real beef the Doctor had was a civilian one, outside Starfleet, over publishing rights and the like.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I agree with MajorD's comments about the Doctor and his sentient issue. I was surprised to see he issue arise, given the history with Data, the experiences on Voyager, etc. It does seem very 'anti-federationish'.

However, I do see the potential for game content coming from it, so on that note it makes some sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Guess this basically confirms that the Borg are gonna be back, bigger, badder, and better than ever...

I can't wait.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Loekii wrote: »
    I don't think peoples' opinion that the Borg are still a threat has anything to do with the trailer nor the knowledge that they will be antagonists in the game.

It is tactical common sense. The Borg were on the verge of destroying the Alpha quadrant. They are far stronger than the romulans or the Klingons would ever be, and thus a much larger threat to the Federation. It is a significant danger, that could easily never be considered 'solved'.

So while I can understand how Star Fleet 'Intelligence' would come to the opinion that the Alpha Quadrant is Borg Safe, I would say that I am sure there are many that still remember the threat from 8 years prior, and lose sleep over their potential return.

It is not like it has been 100 years without incident. It is not like if the Borg suddenly arrived, that the Federation could easily hold their ground. If they return, it will be ugly, and that is why people feel that Star Fleets decision to be foolish. It like saying that Los Angeles and San Francisco are safe from earthquakes because it has been a decade since a significant one, and thus, earthquake insurance is no longer needed. :rolleyes:

Not only is in not common sense the Developers are going to have to write around the finale of Voyager to make any sense of it at all. Endgame was intended to show that the Borg had been crippled, stranded 75 years away and the queen was infected in a way that would spread to any of the collective that was linked to her.
    The only common sense is that when you kill off a popular bad guy in fiction some writer will find a way to bring him back no matter how much it flies in the face of logic. Jason, magneto, Professor Moriarty, that kind of thing. The Borg aren’t coming back because it makes sense, they’re coming back because it’s good for the game and a lot of us want to see them.

I guess the big difference between the Borg and Earth quakes would be Fault lines are in a fixed location actually under L.A. and don’t go anywhere, and I’m not sure if you’re talking about a different Los Angeles but the last reported earth quake from the one I know happened yesterday. March 21 was the last time L.A. dealt with Earth quake activity. The last time before that? March 20th. There’s always earth quake activity on the west coast, that’s why people by the insurance. This is more like putting California’s National Guard on high alert to watch out for Kamikaze pilots who’ve just been waiting for the right moment to make their move. Like how the Klingons will be something the Federation will deal with daily and the Borg may only pop up for big events and yes the only reason we even know that much is because we saw video of it in the trailer.

Just phrasing the same illogical argument in a condescending tone doesn’t actually add any validity to it. Smug only really works when you’re making a good case. You might want to hold off on breaking out :rolleyes: <--- this little guy until you have something a little better than that "earth quake" gem.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Im afraid I can not agree with your assumption that the Borg are stranded Zombie. For all intents and purposes the Borg have treanswarp capability and if I do recall corectly in Voyager they still have one more of those wormhole cluster nexus thingies. Or is it 2? Even without a queen the borg would undoubtedly have backups in case unimatrix 01 went down. Im afraid with all the data that the federation got from Voyager it would seem to be a tragic tactical error of the federation to dissasemble the taskforce in light of the knowledge they have gained from seven and the rest of her crew.

Im not saying that this is a bad choice by the developers and that it shouldnt of happened, In fact it seems to follow along with the direction starfleet is going, making rash and not intelligent decisions because they are blinded by the aftermath of the dominion war and the unstable situation with the romulans not to mention the ongoing tention with the klingons and khitomer. I must applaud the developers on their story line it seems to be true to form and quite logical.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Voyager got stranded 75.000 lightyears away. They were in middel of Borg space in last episode so (I am guessing) 50.000 ly still to go. A distance we consider pretty safe after the collapsed transwarp center. Borg would have to use normal Warp for travelling that distance, so they better start the journey today for arrival in 2410. And if they consider to visit Romulus, they can come. We will disposal of them. I would rather fear Species 8472 :eek: How was that again? Cpt. Janeway detonated a bomb capable of disrupting their ships, resolting in a retreat of 8472? Tal Shiar only got little information on that. Poor Ensign Harry got infected by only one touch of the monstrousity.

Long live the praetor :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Horizon113 wrote: »
    Im afraid I can not agree with your assumption that the Borg are stranded Zombie. For all intents and purposes the Borg have treanswarp capability and if I do recall corectly in Voyager they still have one more of those wormhole cluster nexus thingies. Or is it 2? Even without a queen the borg would undoubtedly have backups in case unimatrix 01 went down. Im afraid with all the data that the federation got from Voyager it would seem to be a tragic tactical error of the federation to dissasemble the taskforce in light of the knowledge they have gained from seven and the rest of her crew.

Im not saying that this is a bad choice by the developers and that it shouldnt of happened, In fact it seems to follow along with the direction starfleet is going, making rash and not intelligent decisions because they are blinded by the aftermath of the dominion war and the unstable situation with the romulans not to mention the ongoing tention with the klingons and khitomer. I must applaud the developers on their story line it seems to be true to form and quite logical.

Guys, you're missing the point both Zombie and I are making. It's not about whether the Borg will come back or whether they have the capability to do so. Since we see them in the trailer, clearly they find some way to do so. That's a given. What you're not thinking about is Starfleet's perception of the Borg's capability.
    Even if Voyager had only destroyed the transwarp hub, Starfleet would still probably take this stance. Seven of Nine stated in the episode that there were only 6 hubs in the galaxy, yet the visual showed only 4, one for each quadrant. The Alpha Quadrant one looked less developed than the others, which makes sense as the Borg have not infiltrated that on any scale. Voyager destroyed the Delta Quadrant one, which we can assume would be the most important and first one built (due to the Delta Quadrant being the Borg's home territory). Destroying even one hub kills so many conduits that you severely limit Borg transwarp transportation alone, but since Voyager seems to have destroyed a very important one, it would be very hard for the Borg to send the majority of their forces from the Delta Quadrant to the Alpha. They might be able to send ships back to regroup in the Delta, but sending an attack force from the Delta doesn't seem likely.

And this is not even taking into account the virus. Granted, the Borg will adapt quickly to it, but in the meantime it seems to have severely scrambled their ability to communicate and coordinate, making those far flung ships that aren't in the Alpha Quadrant somewhat confused and without a commanding authority.

So you can kind of see why Starfleet thinks the Borg are at least wounded badly, and will take some time to recover, let alone get their forces here. That's not to say they have absolutely no defences and no plan should a Borg incursion occur. They simply don't see it as efficient in keeping around a specifically Anti-Borg taskforce when the ships could be used for more general defense, research, or science/diplomacy. Now granted, we all know this is a mistake on their part, but if you want a better analogy than the ones that are getting thrown around in this thread, it'd be like the U.S. keeping the Star Wars program and continuing to fund it after every other country dismantled their ICBM's (an almost impossible scenario, I know, but this is supposed to be hypothetical). Is it a nice, advanced defense to have around? Sure. Could someone potentially build another ICBM? Probably. But there's no way we can effectively spend towards and anticipate every single threat that comes at us, so we have to pick and choose for the current scenario.

Remember, don't look at this from our informed 3rd-person omniscient perspectives. Look at it from the shoes of Starfleet brass, and what's the best thing to do with the information you currently have.