Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    STO wrote: »
    agreed... um many pictures of 7..... please :P

Concept art!!!!! Is she going to be in STO?:D
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This didn't make any sense. Starfleet wouldn't have dissolved that task force or took down their defenses, especially after how close the Borg came to taking over Earth. If anything, the return of Voyager with all their information would have bolstered their defenses. It would not be unprecedented for Starfleet to keep defenses up for as long as the Borg. In Kirk's day he encountered a race known as the Furies which did a good job of wrecking the Klingon fleet until the Enterprise came in to save the day. Starfleet setup defense posts around the area where the Furies entered the alpha quadrant through an artificial wormhole, and those defenses persisted until the Furies returned during Picard's turn at the wheel.

Any race that poses that much threat to the alpha quadrant and is unpredictable at their return requires constant vigilance, and it makes no sense for Starfleet to decide to go to sleep on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It was good to hear from 7 of 9. She has the same human last name as I do (Hansen). Its pretty cool to get some info on the story line, as to what has been happening in the Star Trek Universe. I would like to learn more about what some of the other characters have been up to also. Very cool.

I first heard about STO last year in GameInformer. I thought it would be up and running by now. I've recently read that 2011 is when it will be up. Is that Correct? Is development taking that long or is there some other reason its taking a long time?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That was a nice little supplemental log and it was good to hear from Seven.
    I'm kind of scratching my head like Seven though. Starfleet only waits a few years and then pack the whole task force in? Makes no sense, especially against an enemy like the Borg. Definitely looking forward to the next time line update.

Marko, Cryptic only got the license for STO just over a year ago. That's not very long in MMO terms for development. Cryptic is actually blazing along compared to many other MMOs so we just have to be patient.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for this.

As others have said, this `supplemental' approach not only gives us something to enjoy while waiting between official timeline "Path To ..." updates, but the supplemental information has a different focus to it; it can focus in on details which aren't necessarily crucial to the larger context of the game.

Well done, and the characterization of Ms. Hansen read as spot-on to me. If only the Voyager writers had consistently treated the character so well. ;)

I take it that Cryptic's "interviewer" here was Kestrel, yes?

In any case, thanks again all. Much appreciated.

KOS
    Actually, Alivet wrote this. She's fantastically talented and you will see more of this from her. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    dr.watson wrote: »
    This didn't make any sense. Starfleet wouldn't have dissolved that task force or took down their defenses, especially after how close the Borg came to taking over Earth. If anything, the return of Voyager with all their information would have bolstered their defenses.
    I could imagine the Dominion infiltrating Starfleet leadership and choosing this option to weaken the Federation.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    dr.watson wrote: »
    This didn't make any sense. Starfleet wouldn't have dissolved that task force or took down their defenses, especially after how close the Borg came to taking over Earth. If anything, the return of Voyager with all their information would have bolstered their defenses. It would not be unprecedented for Starfleet to keep defenses up for as long as the Borg. In Kirk's day he encountered a race known as the Furies which did a good job of wrecking the Klingon fleet until the Enterprise came in to save the day. Starfleet setup defense posts around the area where the Furies entered the alpha quadrant through an artificial wormhole, and those defenses persisted until the Furies returned during Picard's turn at the wheel.

Any race that poses that much threat to the alpha quadrant and is unpredictable at their return requires constant vigilance, and it makes no sense for Starfleet to decide to go to sleep on it.

You claim that it doesn't make sense...However the U.S. government/military has done this same activity throughout our history. When they see an adversary hurt, they change their focus to another possible adversary and keep looking away until the first one somehow returns to power and then the government and military are in a rush to re-organize. Governments do this even if the Analsyts say different. Does it make sense? No, but it is done.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for that Awen, a good read - does this mean that the next path to 2409: 2386 is on its way soon. =D
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I really liked how this one was set up. It has a much more personal touch to it, and it puts a nice little focus to it that you couldn't get with the normal delivery system.

I would love to see more like it, interviews, news reports, maybe even some memos or personal communications to go with the normal history.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Like other enlightened folk here, I find myself concerned at Starfleet's ridiculous move to disband the task force... but I am not at all surprised. It ties in tragically with Starfleet's decision to 'refocus' away from warship-construction back to science vessels and whatnot. While I applaud the Sciences, only through vigilance and preparation will the Alpha Quadrant powers make a stand against the Borg when they move against us once more. The Federation deciding to effectively dismantle its' threat response forces so it can be the 'kinder, gentler' Starfleet will do little good when Borg cubes are overruning the borders or opening transwarp conduits in major Federation systems!

No doubt it will be up to others to stand while the Federation Council members run about like hlai with their heads cut off, throwing together ad-hoc suicide fleets! *shakes head*

[/RP] ;)

A good read, and definitely a cool addition to the storyline! I've been wondering what Picard and Janeway think about this move - hopefully we'll hear more from them on this, since they both have had a lot of involvement with the Borg, and understand the threat they represent!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Do you think Section 31 is ignoring the Borg?
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Awen wrote:
    Actually, Alivet wrote this. She's fantastically talented and you will see more of this from her. :)

I was kind of hoping it was Jake Sisko performing these interviews. I always wondered what happened to him and the rest of DS9. To me it would make sense that being a war journalist/reporter he would be looking for good stories. I bet the role of a space reporter would be pretty neat. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think as far as disbanding the task force goes they could just be looking at it as a waste of resources to prepare for the last war when there are two more tangible threats on the horizon. I’m not saying it’s a decision I would agree with but seven years of aiming a rifle at the empty space where an enemy used to be would realistically wear down a lot of peoples resolve; especially when two of your closest very well armed and unstable neighbors have started giving you and each other the evil eye.
    Trekid wrote: »
    Do you think Section 31 is ignoring the Borg?

Section 31 is largely focused on covert ops and espionage and since the Borg pretty much tell you everything they’re doing whether or not you even ask them they might not even be very useful.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    This was very well done. An in-universe interview I could see glueing many Federation citizens to their holovids (I always found if funny that they imply there is no TV in the future - um, don't you have TV to thank for your show being on?). In addition, as someone who despises 36 of D...er...7 of 9, this is the coolest display of her character I've ever seen/read. I'm glad there were no images so that we can get just her attitude and mind set. Very impressive.

Hope there is more like this to come. Oh, and I like the idea suggested by Ensign.Ricky that some of these should be down by Jake Sisko. Good thinking!

AD
    Barking Alien
    http://barkingalien.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was kind of hoping it was Jake Sisko performing these interviews. I always wondered what happened to him and the rest of DS9. To me it would make sense that being a war journalist/reporter he would be looking for good stories. I bet the role of a space reporter would be pretty neat. ;)

That is a very wonderful point and I never even thought of some of these "smaller" characters from the shows appearing in the game even, or at least the backstory. I think it would be a great deal of fun to interact with the likes of Jake Sisko or even the Doctor. Not sure if this will happen at all, but would still be alot of fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good read. Informative for trekkies and non-trekkies alike. Looking forward to more :D
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    :D I'm so happy that you're including Voyager into STO... at least you are right? Cause you speak of 7 of 9 which is necessary. I just hope you include everybody else from the Star Trek Voyager crew; like Harry, Chakotay, ADMIRAL Janeway, Tuvok, Torres, Paris. You should definitely use the Voyager crew... what do you peoples think??
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    fablis310 wrote: »
    With her ex-Borg status is it possible that she wouldn't age quite the same way as others? Pure speculation but I don't remember if they ever addressed how old she currently is.
    I'm pretty sure it was said near the beginning of her arrival that she was about 20... and near the end (season 6) she didn't age much.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    STO wrote: »
    agreed... um many pictures of 7..... please :P
    you desperate person.... :head shake no:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for this.

As others have said, this `supplemental' approach not only gives us something to enjoy while waiting between official timeline "Path To ..." updates, but the supplemental information has a different focus to it; it can focus in on details which aren't necessarily crucial to the larger context of the game.

Well done, and the characterization of Ms. Hansen read as spot-on to me. If only the Voyager writers had consistently treated the character so well. ;)

<snip>

In any case, thanks again all. Much appreciated.

KOS

I agree.

Even though this was Federation based, this Gorn did enjoy the read, then again 7of9/Anika is more intellectual than the typical Starfleet Officer. While Starfleet grows secure in their laziness, the Gorns agree with Anika about the Borg threat.

I do like the 'supplemental approach', and for the general reasons stated above -- nice snacks between Path Articles, as well as providing a More focused look at specific events, which cannot really be fleshed out in the Path Articles.

As always, I do hope to that such suppliments are not always so Fed Centric. Would be nice to see some information from the Klingon side -- and for me personally, I would prefer it coming from an Orion reporter, than a Klingon reporter. Orions seem to have a better flair for words in my opinion. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I very much enjoyed this suppliment, best writing from cryptic so far :)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    fablis310 wrote: »
    With her ex-Borg status is it possible that she wouldn't age quite the same way as others? Pure speculation but I don't remember if they ever addressed how old she currently is.

I am not a Trekie, so I don't know if the has ever been mention about Borg Drones and aging.

However, given the status of Drones, I would not expect to see any 'slowing down' of the aging process, simply because there would be no direct benefit to the Collective. Drones = disposable, so the collective would not be looking into ways to extend their life cycle -- in fact, I would would not be surprised to see that the added stress of assimilation, accelerates the aging process. What one drone knows, all drones know, so there is little value in keeping one drone alive for longer than normal, when a 'new drone' would immediately replace it.

I can understand the desire to keep her 'youthful', but I would say that is driven more from an attraction standpoint, rather than a practical canon standpoint --- people would not care so much if 7of9 was an unattractive female Drone, for example.

I would prefer to see her at a more mature age, where she is less a 'sex symbol', and more an intellectual figurehead in he scientific community.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zombie wrote:
    Wait, how would studying the technological applications of any powerful piece of equipment be “short term”?

Maybe more in the line of short term gains. Given the timeframe of the device in question, and the Fed's holier than thou approach to timetravel (and yet being the beneficiary on several occasions) it's a fair assessment.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You claim that it doesn't make sense...However the U.S. government/military has done this same activity throughout our history. When they see an adversary hurt, they change their focus to another possible adversary and keep looking away until the first one somehow returns to power and then the government and military are in a rush to re-organize. Governments do this even if the Analsyts say different. Does it make sense? No, but it is done.

The US government has bases around the world organized and prepared for the regional enemies where they are located. The US government has task forces designed and implemented for specific problems, has for a long time. The US government doesn't just shut any of these down for no reason. You should recheck your history and the status of the US goverment around the world. Aside from that, the US government has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    :D I'm so happy that you're including Voyager into STO... at least you are right? Cause you speak of 7 of 9 which is necessary. I just hope you include everybody else from the Star Trek Voyager crew; like Harry, Chakotay, ADMIRAL Janeway, Tuvok, Torres, Paris. You should definitely use the Voyager crew... what do you peoples think??

While some of the crew may still be in Starfleet, I'd rather have STO be more about us than them. Don't you want to be a legend? This is your chance. Remember this is years after that show's timeline, so the ship itself could even be gone, the crew split off to multiple other ships, or even gone from Starfleet. Or dead.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    and Colour Blind test ;)

I love blue.. but it represents a contrast prob for me.. I easily highlighted it with a mouse drag... and continued a good read..
    The Continuing EMH struggles will have me looking at the Habeas Corpus Brief again..
    Daystrom Institute wisely keeping the Borg vigilance and not hiring w Crusher to play with nanos priceless.

Tnx

Awen Fan Club Member
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That Seven always a great conversationalist.:cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zombie wrote:
    I think as far as disbanding the task force goes they could just be looking at it as a waste of resources to prepare for the last war when there are two more tangible threats on the horizon. I’m not saying it’s a decision I would agree with but seven years of aiming a rifle at the empty space where an enemy used to be would realistically wear down a lot of peoples resolve; especially when two of your closest very well armed and unstable neighbors have started giving you and each other the evil eye.

Section 31 is largely focused on covert ops and espionage and since the Borg pretty much tell you everything they’re doing whether or not you even ask them they might not even be very useful.

Agreed. I think people are confusing what we know with what Starfleet knows. We already know the Borg are coming back, thanks to a trailer featuring them and a pointed interview with Annika Hansen foreshadowing their return. However, Starfleet is clearly not listening to her point of view, and they believe the Borg to be defeated or at least severely hindered in their combat capacity. As such, they see it a waste to have a force dedicated to defending against a believed (relatively) harmless enemy. Since the transwarp hub was destroyed, Starfleet believes (erroneously, of course) that even should the Borg rebuild their military capacity, they would be limited in their ability to get that force here as fast as they usually could, being limited to standard modes of transportation.

I'm not defending Starfleet's decision. Everyone can see it's wrong, and not intelligent in the slightest, but at least understandable, if you're willing to see it from an in-universe perspective.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, first I havnt read all forum post.
    apparently the game wont follow any continuity with the books because with the destiny triliogy the borg were ....changed to a race that will help people instead of assimilating them. (if you havnt read it do so )all traces of borg implants disapperead from seven at the end of the series.

now it is not impossible for the original borg to return in some way ...this is star trek after all
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jadehorde wrote: »
    Maybe more in the line of short term gains. Given the timeframe of the device in question, and the Fed's holier than thou approach to timetravel (and yet being the beneficiary on several occasions) it's a fair assessment.

I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean timeframe as in because it’s from the future? Because if so that would be a reason for the Federation not to develop technology derived from it at all let alone engage in a legal battle for the right to do so. And still doesn’t explain how any new field of scientific research can be thought of as “short term”.
    Short term implies that the gains have some expiration date. How can that be predicted about any field of reputable science let alone one with the type of potential and wide reaching applications of this one has?