test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alien Species Availability for 23c planned?

battlestar#5696 battlestar Member Posts: 21 Arc User
Unsure where to post this... but it would be a great addition to have the Alien species available to 23c characters.

It wouldn't violate Trek I.P., as "aliens" are just generic aliens, who would exist in any universe right? :)
And it may help sell even more Species Change Tokens too yea?! :)

For example, my main is a 23c char with a bunch of character-bound items, on whom I've dedicated a ton of time/effort, and I'd definitely love to be able to try out Alien on it.

Cheers!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,805 Arc User
    Most of the time requests for stuff end up in "General Discussions", I've noticed. Having it moved there by one of the moderators would probably get more people to notice it.

You are right, it would be great if they did that, a lot of people ask for the alien tab to be put into the TOS character generator (myself included), it would make things a lot easier and avoid nonsense like having to use one of the other Fed generators to do TOS aliens and ignore the fact that the transporter, communicator, and other effects and UI elements are all wrong, along with not being able to use the Pioneer bridge, which is the only TOS bridge available to F2P players.

Adding a TOS-centric version of the 'Alien' tab would not only solve all of that, if it had wider color pallets for skin, hair, and eye color it would enable some of the TOS aliens that even the 2409 Alien tab cannot (like the metallic bronze skin and hair tones of the Ithanites).
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,825 Community Moderator
    thread /moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • battlestar#5696 battlestar Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 12
    Most of the time requests for stuff end up in "General Discussions", I've noticed. Having it moved there by one of the moderators would probably get more people to notice it.

You are right, it would be great if they did that, a lot of people ask for the alien tab to be put into the TOS character generator (myself included), it would make things a lot easier and avoid nonsense like having to use one of the other Fed generators to do TOS aliens and ignore the fact that the transporter, communicator, and other effects and UI elements are all wrong, along with not being able to use the Pioneer bridge, which is the only TOS bridge available to F2P players.

Adding a TOS-centric version of the 'Alien' tab would not only solve all of that, if it had wider color pallets for skin, hair, and eye color it would enable some of the TOS aliens that even the 2409 Alien tab cannot (like the metallic bronze skin and hair tones of the Ithanites).

Thanks for the mod move request. And I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've written! Great point about the F2P 23c players too.

I myself have spent nearly $2K on STO during just over a year of playing the game so far (Please don't judge me too hard, haha!) STO really has so much potential to be a fully immersive experience... so much material to work with... and an entire universe to create and expand upon... maybe someday it will re-work and evolve into a true open-planets/open-space, full scale, explorable massive reality... anyway, sorry I digress!

Back to the subject... Maybe if enough players request it, we can get it to happen so everyone can enjoy some epic 23c Alienz?!?!

Very much looking forward to the day it's added. When it does, I'll be a serial 23c species change purchaser. :):):)

Post edited by battlestar#5696 on
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,875 Arc User
    I'd say the odds are pretty low, it's been a long time and they still haven't even added Discovery Andorians like the said they would. There really weren't many aliens seen in TOS, and when they were they often were basically human looking
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I'd say the odds are pretty low, it's been a long time and they still haven't even added Discovery Andorians like the said they would. There really weren't many aliens seen in TOS, and when they were they often were basically human looking

Ah yeah, I definitely see your point... thanks for replying! Unfortunate if they don't... just so... much... potential to be had... STO...!
  • sumugi6#5811 sumugi6 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Honestly, the most disappointing thing is that all those species that you unlock with Zen are ultimately playable only by those in the Starfleet storyline. That TOS and Discovery storyline characters are limited to basically two or three species, makes them feel both underwhelming and underrepresented.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    Honestly, the most disappointing thing is that all those species that you unlock with Zen are ultimately playable only by those in the Starfleet storyline. That TOS and Discovery storyline characters are limited to basically two or three species, makes them feel both underwhelming and underrepresented.

The TOS options are centered around species that are known in TOS, specifically the four founding members of the Federation. DSC... we're still waiting on DSC Andorians to be added as they did say they were working on that. The only species I can think of that would make sense as an unlock for TOS is Caitians because of M'Ress in TAS. Any TNG era species that are unlocks would not make any sense in TOS or DSC.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,805 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

The TOS options are centered around species that are known in TOS, specifically the four founding members of the Federation. DSC... we're still waiting on DSC Andorians to be added as they did say they were working on that. The only species I can think of that would make sense as an unlock for TOS is Caitians because of M'Ress in TAS. Any TNG era species that are unlocks would not make any sense in TOS or DSC.

Unfortunately, they completely ignore all the other Federation aliens from TOS and TAS, which is what makes the TOS start (and by extension the Temporal recruitment) feel underrepresented. The missing non-founder TOS races would be easy to implement, most of them are just color and hair differences except for a very few that have different-shaped ears (which already exist in the 2409 Alien generator so they would not have to be modeled new):
    • Loktarans (they have wild manes of normal colored hair in weird styles, so probably the most difficult ones to do)
    • Ithanites (little people with metallic gold skin and hair (and possibly eyes))
    • Violacean (they have skin in shades of purple and violet, a fan theory points out that the color could be from photosynthetic
      symbiosis happening in their skin so they may be related to green Orions)
    • Zambeans (very tall but otherwise human looking)
    • Catullans (the males have wild, big Klingon hair but no ridges and in bright neon colors, no female is seen unless Shahna
      (from Gamesters of Triskelion) is one. She has the same poofy big hair (but without the receded hairline) in bright green.
    Non-Federation aliens might also be found serving on a Federation ships as an exchange officer, the same way that a Federation officer went to serve on a Fesarian ship in The Corbomite Maneuver, so Fesarians and others would be good to have available in the Alien tab (Fesarians would just be a height slider adjustment).

Most of the TAS races would be impossible due to armature/skeleton differences, but Caitians would definitely work since they are already in the 2409 part of the game, along with the amphibious humans that The Journey Home establishes as having become full members by the time of the movie, (though without any water-based scenarios they might be a bit irrelevant), Sord's race (the short lizards from The Jihad), and possibly a few others.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Unfortunately, they completely ignore all the other Federation aliens from TOS and TAS, which is what makes the TOS start (and by extension the Temporal recruitment) feel underrepresented. The missing non-founder TOS races would be easy to implement, most of them are just color and hair differences except for a very few that have different-shaped ears (which already exist in the 2409 Alien generator so they would not have to be modeled new):
    • Loktarans (they have wild manes of normal colored hair in weird styles, so probably the most difficult ones to do)
    • Ithanites (little people with metallic gold skin and hair (and possibly eyes))
    • Violacean (they have skin in shades of purple and violet, a fan theory points out that the color could be from photosynthetic
      symbiosis happening in their skin so they may be related to green Orions)
    • Zambeans (very tall but otherwise human looking)
    • Catullans (the males have wild, big Klingon hair but no ridges and in bright neon colors, no female is seen unless Shahna
      (from Gamesters of Triskelion) is one. She has the same poofy big hair (but without the receded hairline) in bright green.
    Non-Federation aliens might also be found serving on a Federation ships as an exchange officer, the same way that a Federation officer went to serve on a Fesarian ship in The Corbomite Maneuver, so Fesarians and others would be good to have available in the Alien tab (Fesarians would just be a height slider adjustment).

Most of the TAS races would be impossible due to armature/skeleton differences, but Caitians would definitely work since they are already in the 2409 part of the game, along with the amphibious humans that The Journey Home establishes as having become full members by the time of the movie, (though without any water-based scenarios they might be a bit irrelevant), Sord's race (the short lizards from The Jihad), and possibly a few others.

Love this post! Such descriptions... brings back TOS memories... awesome.