test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cat hologram CHEAT/HACK in Winter event and other Events need to be Taken out

bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User

Cat hologram CHEAT/HACK being used in Winter event and other Events need to be removed. Cat has a buff for speed even superior to frost boots (intended for winter event) and used as a cheat. Needs to be greyed out like other toys.

Ticket submitted.
Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
Original STO beta tester.

Comments

• baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 621 Arc User

Cat hologram CHEAT/HACK being used in Winter event and other Events need to be removed. Cat has a buff for speed even superior to frost boots (intended for winter event) and used as a cheat. Needs to be greyed out like other toys.

Ticket submitted.

Yeah, I agree the cat charm is a big cheat for the Fast and the Flurrious event. I myself skip the race as I don't enjoy it, but I can see your point. However, it's a big help for The Fastest Game on Ice which doesn't affect other players fun.

• bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Thanks for fixing this:

"Resolved an issue where the Sylvia’s Feline Charm was usable in Q’s Winter Wonderland"

Patch notes 12/14
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • pacelli1pacelli1 Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    baucoin wrote: »

Ticket submitted.

Yeah, I agree the cat charm is a big cheat for the Fast and the Flurrious event. I myself skip the race as I don't enjoy it, but I can see your point. However, it's a big help for The Fastest Game on Ice which doesn't affect other players fun.

This is the same reason that nobody does PVP anymore. The Devs said they were going to look into F&F for next year ... something tells me I'll be quitting that myself.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    As people have already pointed out in the much livelier thread on this subject: https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1269029/on-cats-in-the-cold

the Sylvia's Cat Charm is no worse a "cheat" than taking a Jem'Hadar to do the race or any of the other speed-inhancing stuff the game has available (there is even a tribble that boosts speed from what I have heard).

One of the really nasty things about Defiance was all the howling and moaning about "cheats" every time something new came out that was not just some old standby with a different look, (and the devs there would usually then nerf it into the ground to the point where it was significantly inferior to weapons considered to be average in the game), when in reality the new weapon was usually balanced to begin with. I would hate to see that kind of knee-jerk nonsense polluting STO, especially since it does not have the kind of significantly large PvP population in the game that Defiance had.
  • sofiarivas#5677 sofiarivas Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    the Sylvia's Cat Charm is no worse a "cheat" than taking a Jem'Hadar to do the race or any of the other speed-inhancing stuff the game has available
    So while everyone else is locked in place at the beginning of a ground TFO, those who can change into cats shouldn't be?, that doesn't sound right to me.

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    there is even a tribble that boosts speed from what I have heard
    Three or four of them...
    Delta Rep also has a ground trait that boosts runspeed.

To be honest, I really don't care about any of them being used at all. It makes it more challenging, but also more enjoyable when you manage to beat someone that's going faster than you.
    It makes sense to 'master' the race, using the terrain to your advantage and you soon pass all the folks that are using so-called 'speed hacks' when they slide around more than you.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    the Sylvia's Cat Charm is no worse a "cheat" than taking a Jem'Hadar to do the race or any of the other speed-inhancing stuff the game has available
    So while everyone else is locked in place at the beginning of a ground TFO, those who can change into cats shouldn't be?, that doesn't sound right to me.

If the cat transformation breaks the lock then it is a bug, which is a different matter (and should be fixed at the source of the problem, not the cat speed itself permanently banned from the winter event). Just outlawing it because of a perception of it being "unfair" because it is a speed enhancer (which is what most people talk about, this is the first time I have heard anything about it bypassing the starting gun lock) is ridiculous considering all the other speed enhancers in the game.
  • drycraeft#5841 drycraeft Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    The cats speed was nerfed to whatever our current run speed is while in Q's Wonderland, i've tested it and see no difference to my current run speed on my character, so whatever they do during the race is speed buffs not the cat and there are various buffs people can earn in the game, some items have speed on them, plus the snow boots make you go faster too, run speed from endeavors, and certain characters have more run speed or can jump higher. So they're using speed buffs while they transform into the cat.
  • ixil#2322 ixil Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    honestly i really don't see it as cheating and just a means to level the playing field for new users like me who just joined this year who would otherwise not be able to compete with those who have maxed out endeavors and high end equipment you can not get any more from years of playing so if your trying to use that as an reason because newer players don't have it what about us newer players who just joined in the past year and actually did the event? the reality is that by nerfing its speed it has rewarded players who did not bother to do the Halloween event because the charm was "dumb and useless" only now to be proven wrong and is punishing players who actually struggled through the event. the charm will likely be available next year for the Halloween event as the events are annual so there is always next year to obtain the charm so availability isn't actually an issue you just gotta wait a year and then do the event.

by the logic posted in the forum that i have seen by nerfing the charm because of pvp events that means those who have earned the new winter ship and the summer event ship this past year should not be allowed to do space pvp because those ships are not on mudd's market currently and are not readily available right this second when as i have been told that there is a good chance these ships will eventually make their way to mudd's as other event ships have in the past. the reality is they would have to nerf endeavors and all other gear as well which as i understand it some of that gear is hard to grind for when your first starting and endeavors even more so and i don't want to hear that any of that doesn't count because i have been personally dusted by friends by using the same gear as me and the endeavors alone was enough to leave me in the dust. as someone who just came on the game this past year i realize that one day if i actually put effort into the game i will eventually be on par or close to on par with those players who have worked and earned that gear. its 100% disheartening to see this is actually a concern on this forum that the things i will eventually earn and struggle for on the game will actually be seen as "cheating" to some when i EARNED that charm by doing the event there where some who earned that charm because they bought it and that is also a valid way of getting items in the game because they had to sacrifice real life time to earn the money to do so. all this is amounting to is punishing players for actually doing the events as intended and then using what they earned in the next event and rewarding those who actively choose not to do it. when these items will eventually be obtainable by new players over time. and thats my rant i will hopefully will not be back to be on the soap box and i hope all of the others who read this have a wonderful day/night <3