test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

THE EXCELSIOR II!

2»

Comments

• scottfreemanscottfreeman Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    This is late but i just got it and regret cause i thought it would have the other skins or unlock its skin to be used on the legendary version but it does not, any chance that will change cause the legendary is set up better for me then excel II is.
    Just thought i would ask?

With it being a Lockbox ship, not likely.

Except...other lockbox ships unlock the skins if you have the lockbox and the legendary...
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    I think the models aren’t physically compatible because the sizes are different. And I’m guessing it is because the Excelsior II really isn’t a retrofit anyway, and the ship shown in Picard was bigger than an excelsior. We know this because the Inquiry and Gagarin were flying close enough together to judge their size. That being said, the developers can obviously make it work in game however they want. And they want it rare so you are more likely to consider gambling for it.

Also remember other ships in the game only share parts if they are the same size and considered to be variant classes or refits. So owning a lockbox TOS Connie doesn’t unlock a Discovery Connie because the models aren’t compatible.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
    I don't know if this has been asked or answered...but WHY do the other Excelsior consoles NOT work in this one...and why is THIS skin not available on the legendary, if you have both, like EVERY other variant for legendary ship classes?

Patently false. This is just like the DSC Constitution, which skin is also not available on other Constitution family ships. It's built on a different frame, and so was not designed to be compatible with the rest.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I don't know if this has been asked or answered...but WHY do the other Excelsior consoles NOT work in this one...and why is THIS skin not available on the legendary, if you have both, like EVERY other variant for legendary ship classes?

Patently false. This is just like the DSC Constitution, which skin is also not available on other Constitution family ships. It's built on a different frame, and so was not designed to be compatible with the rest.

Except that the Terran Warship skin can be used on other DCS Connys, like the legendary.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,755 Arc User
    edited December 2022

Except that the Terran Warship skin can be used on other DCS Connys, like the legendary.

The "Terran Warship" was another DSC Constitution, it was an extreme modification of the DSC Federation Defiance (which is the same Constitution carrier frame as the Enterprise (aka "Discoprise") seen in DSC and SNW, not the armored capital gun-battlecruiser that the TOS Defiance was).

DSC with its crazy clown-car fighter capacity makes me wonder why the Discoprise crew wears black shoes instead of brown, but that is a different matter :lol:
    edited December 2022

Ok, but those ships are all built on the same frame. The other Constitutions, to include the recently updated Excalibur and Vesper classes, are not built on the same frame. Hence why they do not share costumes. This is essentially the same with the Excelsior II not sharing costumes with the Excelsior, because they are not built on the same frame.
    GrWzQke.png

Ok, but those ships are all built on the same frame. The other Constitutions, to include the recently updated Excalibur and Vesper classes, are not built on the same frame. Hence why they do not share costumes. This is essentially the same with the Excelsior II not sharing costumes with the Excelsior, because they are not built on the same frame.

They are the same basic size. How is that not the same frame?

Size is irrelevant. It's not built using the same frame. The devs didn't use the same frame to build it on. I'm not getting why this is so difficult to understand. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    GrWzQke.png
    edited December 2022

Size is irrelevant. It's not built using the same frame. The devs didn't use the same frame to build it on. I'm not getting why this is so difficult to understand. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Because the frames LOOK THE SAME. And the idea that they WOULDN'T use the same, when they VERY clearly have in the past, SHOULD be difficult to understand.

And you being condescending, given those things, is not only INCREDIBLY rude, but also pretty damn foolish, on your part. Especially given that no where else, aside from your assumptive, often incorrect, and condescending comments...have I seen any mention of that. Nor am I the only person asking about the obvious mess up.

Because the frames LOOK THE SAME. And the idea that they WOULDN'T use the same, when they VERY clearly have in the past, SHOULD be difficult to understand.

And you being condescending, given those things, is not only INCREDIBLY rude, but also pretty damn foolish, on your part. Especially given that no where else, aside from your assumptive, often incorrect, and condescending comments...have I seen any mention of that. Nor am I the only person asking about the obvious mess up.

Given what things? You've proven nothing.

Apparently, there's some miscommunication here, or you really are having a hard time grasping this. Let's take a real world example: a Ford and a Chevy might look "the same basic size," but they're not built on the same frame, and their parts aren't necessarily going to be interchangeable. A fender from a Mustang isn't going to go on a Camaro.

The wiki says this: "Although the Excelsior II is a successor to the Excelsior, the larger size of the Excelsior II means parts of the Excelsior and the Excelsior II family cannot be combined." Your assumption about same size is incorrect. But even if they were the same size, that would be irrelevant.

The devs chose not to build the ship using the same frame as the Excelsior line of ships. The Excelsior, Excelsior Alpha, Excelsior Refit, Excelsior Refit Alpha, Excelisor NX, Resolute, and Repulse were all built on the same frame to have interchangeable parts. The Excelsior II was not. It uses a different frame entirely, and that's by intent, not an "obvious mess up".

Often incorrect, my TRIBBLE.
    GrWzQke.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,755 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    There is also the fact that CBS sometimes sends STO the original digital models from the show, which were made by different modelers, possibly even using different programs, so the polys they use are not all in the same places between them and the already ingame versions of the ships (or even between different CBS series versions themselves, for instance they apparently rebuilt the Enterprise mesh for SNW instead of just reusing the model from DSC according to behind the scenes comments). For that matter some of them could even use different types of poly.

Even though the STO ship modelers often have to make adjustments to the CBS-sourced models to do things like reduce the polycount and whatnot (to run in the game without slowing it down) those lowered polycount ships are still not the same frame as the previously existing STO versions even though parts may look the same.
  • captainsulu4captainsulu4 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm sorry this caused some problems for you guys. I will be more knowledgeable on this before making purchases from lockbox's :( . I will also stick with the repulse skin as the last cannon refit in the game i guess since the legendary ship is better for me. :)
  • baltimoremd21217baltimoremd21217 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    So when is the Excelsior II coming to console?
This discussion has been closed.