test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

THE EXCELSIOR II!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
edited January 2023 in Galactic News Network [PC]
The Excelsior was gloriously reborn last year in Star Trek: Picard, and now she can be yours in the Infinity Lock Box on PC!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11531763
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    In Infinity Lock Box, inglorious.
    Qapla'
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    I remember when Lockbox ships were generally alien ships. Ships that should be considered rare in any of the playable factions.

Now we get ships that should just be typical Zen store purchases shoved into lockboxes. Seriously, come on :/
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    I'm not easily impressed by new ships anymore, but I quite like this one. Interesting console, possibly a nice trait, versatile Boff lay out with MW seating...

And the ship itself looks nice. It helps that I don't own an Excelsior variant yet.

The ship formed the backbone of my ST:Armada Fleet Ops fleets, so I'm kind of willing to get it. The only disappointment is, of course, that I'll have to think hard on which toon to unlock it. This should have been a C-store ship or even a Mudd store ship. As it may eventually end up in there anyway, I'm not so sure whether I should get it now.

I think I'll just wait.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Yeah, if you are in any of the new Star Trek series and not a background grunt ship you are going to be in a Lockbox, or a Promotion pack.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,755 Arc User
    The console and trait are mildly intriguing, and I like Intel ships, but while the ship is not ugly like a lot of the NuTrek ships are the look does not do anything for me either (I am more of a fan of Romulan ships). The fact that it is lockbox nails the coffin shut on that ship as far as I am concerned, though I can see how others may like it.
  • dargrotdargrot Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Why the Klingon hate? You don't like my money? Oh well...
  • renwoodsto#3772 renwoodsto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    When I can just buy it and not have to play Lock Box Roulette, I'm in. Until then, not so much.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    I remember when Lockbox ships were generally alien ships. Ships that should be considered rare in any of the playable factions.

Now we get ships that should just be typical Zen store purchases shoved into lockboxes. Seriously, come on :/

This. So much this.
  • alacrityfalacrityf Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    yay another lockbox ship I'll never get. yawn.
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    I would definitely buy the Excelsior II if it were available in the C-Store and not part of a bundle, and would probably consider it if part of a bundle. In agreement with every prior poster, I've got to say though, this ought not to be a Lockbox ship! It's a mainline Starfleet design and, I assume, will be a per-character unlock if it is released this way. That's ridiculous. I have barely posted on the forums for years, but had to come out and say this.

Hope the decision-makers reconsider how this ship is released.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Is this ship part of the Excelsior/Resolute/Repulse family, or is it bigger?
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    I hope it can use canons. I have a dream about an excelsior class with cannons. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter. I won’t be using next year’s promo ship pack to get this ship. And I am not interested in it enough to grind credits or spend money on it. Maybe if they put it in the lobi store and it was “cheap” on the exchange for a minute—I could make a convincing argument to my wallet. But my wallet is really stubborn. He probably still wouldn’t open for an excelsior no matter how much I begged.
  • vandread010vandread010 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Rarely post here but this is tedious.

Good ship.
    Good stats.
    Nice design.
    TERRIBLE CHOICE TO GET IT.

I can get more than my money's worth on boxes in bloody World of Tanks than here. And THEY have a guaranteed drop after so many opening.
    [SIGPIC]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab53/Vandread010/apoph_zpscc05f31f.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Oh the humanity.... Oh the insanity.... Oh the Empty Queue bugs....
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    another lockbox.....big surprise.

*Mermista groan*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    This is the first Excelsior I've seen with truly good seating. Even the "Legendary" version has too much engineering and pilot for my tastes so I've barely unlocked the account wide trait.

This ship, otoh, has really nice seating options and a lot of build versatility, so OF COURSE it's a single character unlock gamble box ship. Maybe one day it will end up in a $300 Mudd's bundle...
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Excelsior II : Ugly frankenship with a desirable console. Lockbox only? Why even bother pretending the ship is the prize in that slot machine pull?
  • azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    This is the first Excelsior I've seen with truly good seating.

You're not wrong about the seating.

• theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    Saw the ad for the new ship; came to praise a regular Starfleet shop release ship; one that actually made me pause and ponder on for a moment if I should get one... yeah, stupid me. :|

Just because you have already done this does not make the practice of releasing such ships in lock boxes any less embarassing; it underlines it.
  • bigbrain411#2530 bigbrain411 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    As it has been said, the fact that this ship is in a lockbox makes me so very sad, had it been C-Store, I would have bought it day one. Lockbox ships should be reserved for alien ships, alternate timeline ships, and ships of largely different times, the Excelsior II, and for that matter, Inquiry, Parliament, California, and Sagan class ships should all have been C-Store, as they are all ships actively in use, I mean, the California and Inquiry classes are known for a fact to be heavily mass produced ships, so why are they so rare.
    The continued use of lockboxes to "sell" these ships is extremely scummy and is actively harming the relationships Cryptic has with their player base, I have multiple friends who used to play this game so much more, but now only hop on occasionally and refuse to spend money, and I know they are not the only ones.
    Basically, if anyone at Cryptic sees this, people will be more willing to spend money on this game if you are fair in where you put your ships, current era ships relating to the four main factions (Fed, KDF, Rom Republic, Dominion) should go in the C-Store and stay in the C-Store, anything else is fair game to put in lockboxes, those ships should be rare, and a lockbox makes them so. By doing this, you strengthen the relationship with your player base, and they will be more willing to put more time and money into the game
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    Probably would've been better if it was command but it's a pass to me anyway.
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    I would have bought it but since it's gamble-box only, you've lost a sale, Cryptic.
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Gamble box ship oh goodie! Also getting a bit tired of all the elongated designs. Do all the the standard "NEW" fed ship types need to look like they are in a constant state of entering warp?
    1kltX02.jpg
  • xsi1exsi1e Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    1kltX02.jpg
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Lockbox...typical

Im getting utterly fed up with STO these days. Very little new game content, and this continuing trend of putting all the new ships in a gamble box.

As an earlier poster said, lockboxes were for alien or exotic ships. Starfleet standard ships were always just in the zen store. If this was in the zen store i would buy it in a second...but in a lockbox...never. And as for putting it in mudds muggs store....thats just a trick to make people pay 4 times the zen store prices, for a ship that should be in the zen store in the first place.

Im not quitting STO....but i sure as heck aint playing it much thse days. Even the winter event ships just another boring fek ship that wont be flown 10mins after unlocking it....pffft!
  • jordanhanse#3499 jordanhanse Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > The Excelsior was gloriously reborn last year in Star Trek: Picard, and now she can be yours in the Infinity Lock Box on PC!
    >
    > https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11531763

I can't access the website you mentioned, is there any way, or is it because of my computer?
  • missmel#5308 missmel Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    I know this is one way that STO makes is by Gambling for ships...

But after a day or so looking at the Wiki 80% of that I actually want to fly are in lockboxes 10% in Mudd's Store far out side of my capacity to purchase (10th anniversary bundle I'm looking at you)

I can't unfortunately even just outright buy a Crossfield and I still haven't figured out how to get a Valkis Warbird...

The should be a reasonable option just to buy the ship you want to fly
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > The Excelsior was gloriously reborn last year in Star Trek: Picard, and now she can be yours in the Infinity Lock Box on PC!
    >
    > https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11531763

I can't access the website you mentioned, is there any way, or is it because of my computer?

The link works, so I don't know what to say. You can try going to the main site and looking under News. The blog will be there.
    GrWzQke.png
  • captainsulu4captainsulu4 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    This is late but i just got it and regret cause i thought it would have the other skins or unlock its skin to be used on the legendary version but it does not, any chance that will change cause the legendary is set up better for me then excel II is.
    Just thought i would ask?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,733 Community Moderator
    This is late but i just got it and regret cause i thought it would have the other skins or unlock its skin to be used on the legendary version but it does not, any chance that will change cause the legendary is set up better for me then excel II is.
    Just thought i would ask?

With it being a Lockbox ship, not likely.
    GrWzQke.png
  • scottfreemanscottfreeman Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I don't know if this has been asked or answered...but WHY do the other Excelsior consoles NOT work in this one...and why is THIS skin not available on the legendary, if you have both, like EVERY other variant for legendary ship classes?
This discussion has been closed.