test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't the DEVs do something about the campers in the Dyson Ground batlezone?

cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 153 Arc User
I know it has been reed mentioned several times but it is disappointing to have to miss the Dino end Boss several times a week due to the fact that several campers are always standing around all the time waiting for it to appear and letting others unlock the zones without lifting a finger themselves. Several times last week I have unlocked several sub-zones, alone or not, and when it comes to doing the end boss the campers have already run with it and those who have done all the work have lost their marks and dilitium and thus get no satisfaction for their efforts. One would almost think that it pays better to play the game this way and go camping, you don't have to do anything and still get rewarded instead of doing all the work and not getting rewarded.

Sorry some things are not in the right context but that may be due to translation because English is not my native language
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
«13

Comments

  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,718 Arc User
    Of course they can do something about it - and many solutions have indeed been proposed.

    For some reason however, they won't implement any of those solutions.


    The best you can do is try capturing points strategically. Make sure, for example, that the points closest to the silo/V-rex spawn points remain red until the bar is almost filled. So that you can capture that point last. That will at least give you the best chance of getting to the end fight.

    I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's probably the best one, given that Cryptic doesn't seem to be going to do something about it (an attitude which has been, to be honest, quite indefensible for a while now).


    Besides that, the only other solutions I can think of are either:

    - Going there with a large team or two (5 to 10 players), thus filling most of the zone so that there simply can't be too many campers in that instance
    - Not going there at all (who knows, maybe Cryptic will finally do something if the zone becomes deserted)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,718 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Not sure why I'm still bothering to explain my preferred solution, but anyway:

    In my opinion, they should simply add some delay to the V-rexes' spawning. Like 30 seconds, maybe one minute. Basically:

    - Last point gets captured
    - Commander Arnold tells you to go to the V-rex spawn points
    - 30 seconds later the fights there start


    The only drawback to such a solution that I can see, would be that the campers have to camp and wait for 30 or 60 more seconds. But of course, that's their problem.


    Other people have suggested 'beam me there'-buttons (like we have in Pahvo dissension) or an automatic 'beam everyone to the command center' so that everyone has to travel the same distance. Those could work too, though these are probably a bit more unfair for, respectively, players with slower connections (additional map loading) and newer players who might not have as many speed boosts.
    Besides, the problem is that some players cannot reach the boss fight in time. So the solution should focus on giving them more time to get there - not so much on relocating everyone else to some arbitrary point.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I would have to agree with the OP concern. I think fleetcaptian5 has a couple of decent suggestions.

    Gosh thats been going on since dyson sphere launched. lol I actually dont have any memories of it being any different. Even if your close to the spawn I've seen just 1 to 3 players insta pop that thing. Always thought it was greasy game play, and when i put the shoe on the other foot I'd just wait for players to show up, let them do some damage, and dont insta pop it! I've had more times when im almost there and can see the dino falling and growling one last time than i do actually of getting a piece of the dino.

    I do think there are players out there who enjoy ruining the fun/game play for others. Dont ask me why they like it, although i'm sure they have their own special reasons.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    another solution is that if you capture a point, then you get credit for the Trex regardless
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    krisxr400 wrote: »
    I would have to agree with the OP concern. I think fleetcaptian5 has a couple of decent suggestions.

    Gosh thats been going on since dyson sphere launched. lol I actually dont have any memories of it being any different. Even if your close to the spawn I've seen just 1 to 3 players insta pop that thing. Always thought it was greasy game play, and when i put the shoe on the other foot I'd just wait for players to show up, let them do some damage, and dont insta pop it! I've had more times when im almost there and can see the dino falling and growling one last time than i do actually of getting a piece of the dino.

    I do think there are players out there who enjoy ruining the fun/game play for others. Dont ask me why they like it, although i'm sure they have their own special reasons.

    I am wondering if the V-Rex's health was lowered from its original debut.
    I remember having plenty of time to get there to do some damage & having it count.
    Sometimes enough time that I could travel to other ones & help there too.
    Adding more time before it spawns won't really solve the part where people are insta-killing them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,901 Community Moderator
    I am wondering if the V-Rex's health was lowered from its original debut.
    I remember having plenty of time to get there to do some damage & having it count.
    Sometimes enough time that I could travel to other ones & help there too.
    Adding more time before it spawns won't really solve the part where people are insta-killing them.

    Or power creep happened. We are talking Pre-Iconian War content here vs current gear and stats.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,670 Community Moderator
    I've said for awhile now that they should teleport everyone back to the command center when the v-rex's spawn so folks have to actually run back and can't just camp the spawns. Camping the v-rex spawn is nothing but leeching and shouldn't be rewarded. If you didn't help to flip the zones to make the vrex spawn, you have no right to rewards from it in my book. Only exception being those who just beamed down and weren't there previously. However we're talking about people deliberately camping the place. Personally I would scale the health of the dino based on the amount of people engaging it. Have it start with base health X and then scale based on the number of people engaging. If more people engage it jumps to health Y and so on.

    One thing that would work but would annoy people is to cap the amount of damage that can be done to the vrex at once. Everyone in the zone is guaranteed a shot then. However I think this particular solution punishes players more than anything. I don't think it should just auto reward people for the rex as that just incentivizes people to not fight the rex.

    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    I know it has been reed mentioned several times but it is disappointing to have to miss the Dino end Boss several times a week due to the fact that several campers are always standing around all the time waiting for it to appear and letting others unlock the zones without lifting a finger themselves. Several times last week I have unlocked several sub-zones, alone or not, and when it comes to doing the end boss the campers have already run with it and those who have done all the work have lost their marks and dilitium and thus get no satisfaction for their efforts. One would almost think that it pays better to play the game this way and go camping, you don't have to do anything and still get rewarded instead of doing all the work and not getting rewarded.

    Sorry some things are not in the right context but that may be due to translation because English is not my native language


    There are 2 sides of this coin. While I don't camp, I do get annoyed, at times, not being able to reach a dino in time. Point being, it's really the game itself that makes you gravitate towards camping (subsidiarily, kinda forces you to stay close to a spawning point).

    Solution? Let the dinos spawn at random locations. Problem solved.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    except Rexie's job is to protect the silo and engineers. She can't spawn ad a artillery site and do that job
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    except Rexie's job is to protect the silo and engineers. She can't spawn ad a artillery site and do that job

    Fair point.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,718 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    except Rexie's job is to protect the silo and engineers. She can't spawn ad a artillery site and do that job

    They're just medics, commander Arnold. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,285 Arc User
    Other options are to enable the jetpacks and/or transport just outside omega silo + 30 second wait.
    The Dino will still go down (usually) in less than 20 seconds, but it is a start.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,396 Arc User
    Another option would be to have a forcefield that must be dropped before you can engage the dino and omega thieves.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 438 Arc User
    "Can't the DEVs do something about the campers in the Dyson Ground batlezone?"

    Of course they can.

    They simply are not.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Camping the v-rex spawn is nothing but leeching and shouldn't be rewarded. If you didn't help to flip the zones to make the vrex spawn, you have no right to rewards from it in my book.

    Why? Excluding them from rewards punishes people for actually playing the content. Whether the player helped capture another point or not is irrelevant. They are doing damage to and contributing to defeating the V-Rex, so they should get a reward for their participation in that activity.


    It all depends on whether you can call camping the v-rex 'playing the content.' :smile:
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,147 Community Moderator
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    valoreah wrote: »
    Camping the v-rex spawn is nothing but leeching and shouldn't be rewarded. If you didn't help to flip the zones to make the vrex spawn, you have no right to rewards from it in my book.

    Why? Excluding them from rewards punishes people for actually playing the content. Whether the player helped capture another point or not is irrelevant. They are doing damage to and contributing to defeating the V-Rex, so they should get a reward for their participation in that activity.


    It all depends on whether you can call camping the v-rex 'playing the content.' :smile:

    Camping, no. But actually fighting and killing the Rex, yes. Regardless of whether they participated elsewhere, they still would've participated in killing the Rex, and therefore deserve that much of a reward.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It all depends on whether you can call camping the v-rex 'playing the content.'

    If they are shooting it and helping defeat it, that is playing the content. As I said earlier, I personally think it a bad design and in need of an overhaul, but that does not change the fact that fighting the V-Rex, regardless of capturing another point or not, is playing the content.

    Yes, I said this earlier too: the design is simply bad. It says 'Make sure you're near an end dino, or you will get no rewards.' That is asking for camping.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Solution? Let the dinos spawn at random locations. Problem solved.

    Great idea but not sure how well this would work story wise with regard to the Omega silos being the target point of the Voth attack.

    They could simply drop the requirement to participate in the boss battle with the dinos. Or, along the lines I suggested above, spawn them at a random location, and then modify the story a bit, to say the dinos are on their way to the silos.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,718 Arc User
    If they are shooting the V-Rex, they're playing.

    The problem is that they have an unfair advantage over those who are capturing the last points - thus making it impossible at times for those doing the work to also get a reward.

    The solution should focus on that: removing the unfair disadvantage those 'flipping' the zones (and enabling the start of the boss fight) have compared to campers.
    Taking away rewards from campers is, by itself, a possible solution but ultimately not necessary if (some combination of) the other suggestions were implemented. I believe the rewards for only shooting a V-rex are lower already anyway.


    Besides all this: I don't join in the end fight very often, I usually just go there to fight the Generals and other mini-bosses, capture a few points or work on an Endeavour and then I leave. I hardly care about the dilithium myself these days and the constant stress during the end battle, being on the run more than fighting, just isn't entertaining or worth it to me.

    But when I have been in a boss fight in recent months, it happened quite a few times that I ended up fighting the last V-rex all by myself. Not because I took it down in a few seconds or so, but because (after they had captured one zone and I and some other players captured the second one) no one else bothered to show up anymore.

    They were probably expecting the last zone (the one where I went to, alone) to be captured before they could get there. Which ultimately wasn't the case - but it seems that a reward for the V-rex is somewhat necessary. And, again, players getting rewarded for shooting a V-rex isn't so much the problem, imo.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,718 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    valoreah wrote: »
    The solution should focus on that: removing the unfair disadvantage those 'flipping' the zones (and enabling the start of the boss fight) have compared to campers.

    I do not have all of the reward tables handy. Is just fighting the V-Rex worth that much more than completing all the Commander Arnold missions? If not, there is not a huge disadvantage to those capturing points. I do get that the spirit of the place is to capture points, then the boss fight.

    Two V-rexes usually give out something like 5K dilithium. At least when you've captured a few points.

    It's been a while since I last did Arnold's missions, but IIRC, it's something like between 3 and 4 thousand. Something like around 2K for capturing two points, and between 900 and 1300 for killing Voth.
    I could be way off though, these are just some numbers I have in my head.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

    [3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    And, again, players getting rewarded for shooting a V-rex isn't so much the problem, imo.

    Agreed. I don't care about anyone getting a reward for shooting a v-rex. I do find it annoying, though, that, while I'm helping to flip zones, I am the one who actually misses out on the reward, because I am too far away!

    Can't they just change the mechanic to 'Anyone who participated X% in the overall fight'?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,901 Community Moderator
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Can't they just change the mechanic to 'Anyone who participated X% in the overall fight'?

    The issue there is the drop in/drop out nature of the Battlezone. You also have to consider anyone who happens to join just as the Rex fights start. They wouldn't even HAVE a chance to contribute to the overall, even if they can get in on the boss fight.
    valoreah wrote: »
    I do not have all of the reward tables handy. Is just fighting the V-Rex worth that much more than completing all the Commander Arnold missions? If not, there is not a huge disadvantage to those capturing points. I do get that the spirit of the place is to capture points, then the boss fight.

    EDIT: Just poking around the Wiki - seems like the Arnold missions reward more Dil than defeating all 3 V-Rexes.

    I think its also the Voth Cybernetic Implants that are the main draw for the Rex fights. Take down all three, you get max Implants, which I think is 5?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    Yep, it's 5 implants for the V-Rexes. You don't have to participate in killing each one to get the 5 implants though - as long as you participate in at least one, and all three die, you get the 5.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    The easiest and most simple thing they can do without disrupting the zone to much is increase the time it takes for the V-Rex to spawn. Rather than instant trigger, delay it by 30-45secs or a minute. That should be plenty of time for a person to get from the furthest capture point to the Omega Silo.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.