test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Bridge Officer Training (including pricing)

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > Yes, they did. From the blog: "upgrading all Inherent Traits to maximum rank for their respective types". They were a bit clearer about it in the Livestream a few weeks ago though (Borticus made a point of explaining it there), but it IS mentioned in the blog.

This is what I wrote about that in the thread in the bug report section:

"Since when do we even have ranks of traits anyway? That's a very odd way to denote the difference between a superior and regular version of a trait.

Moreover, 'their respective types' is a phrase that makes no sense in this context. What does 'type' refer to? A superior trait is a wholly different trait from the regular one, they're not variations of the same 'type of trait' (again, a non-sensical construct) since they previously were totally separated.

If they wanted this sentence to inform players that traits would be upgraded to its currently existing best version, they should just have said so. And indeed, some new traits were actually added. Or the Wiki was inaccurate, but if that's the case, it shows once more that this kind of information ought to be provided by Cryptic - instead if making it the community's responsibility to figure out how a new - paid-for - feature is working."

I'll add to that:

The way it is written, it doesn't clearly inform players that some traits will be less improved than others.

'Maximum rank for their respective types' suggests that some traits are of the same 'type' - and that there is a maximum, predetermined rank for them (that, apparently, hasn't been changed in most cases but for which also no official lists exist).

Which has never been the case up until now. Superior leadership and Leadership were always separate traits because you simply couldn't exchange one for the other.
    It's like saying that a very rare Vulcan boff is of the same type as a rare one, despite them simply being different things and the two having as much in common as a rare Vulcan and a rare Andorian have.

If they explained it better in the livestream, they should have added that explanation to the official release blog.

Moreover, some traits actually did get an update. So even if they thought they communicated its workings clearly, the items still don't do what they said they'd do.

In short: it's a mess and another example of poor communication.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Just to emphasise: nowhere did they clearly say that traits would be upgraded to their currently (!) best existing version.

That sentence in the blog might as well be interpreted as stating that a trait would be improved to maximum rank.

But a regular trait isn't the maximum 'rank' that traits can get. Superior is the maximum rank.
    E.g.: Impatient will be upgraded to the maximum rank of its respective 'type', which should then be Superior Impatient.
    If that's not what was meant, then why even include that vague term, 'type', if Superior and regular traits are apparently not related at all?

The fact that most traits - like Impatient - don't have a superior rank and won't get one even after applying an elite boff token, isn't communicated in the blog.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    On a Science Crit Torp Mine Build I use Bashir, Heirarcy, Weyoun, and the Jem'Hadar Vanguard Science Boffs. Since it looks like none of these will Upgrade their Space Traits to Superior, I will probably switch to Weyoun and three Romulan SROs (one of the new VRs and two lesser ROs with Token Upgrades).

It's a shame that the unique Spece Traits don't have a new Upgrade Path with these Tokens.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User

The fact that most traits - like Impatient - don't have a superior rank and won't get one even after applying an elite boff token, isn't communicated in the blog.

This is the biggest part of the problem.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator

Yes, it is, as @evilmark444 has already pointed out. It apparently depends upon one's understanding of the information provided.

"Upgrading all Inherent Traits to maximum rank for their respective types."

So, "upgrading to maximum rank for their respective type" is to be taken as a Trait, if not already at maximum, will be upgraded to the maximum possible for that Trait. If there is no Superior version of a given Trait, then it will only go as high as is possible for that given Trait. If the Trait exists only as its single instance, then it will not upgrade at all, because there is no higher version of it. That's how this is written to be interpreted.

Now, I will do my best to see if I can get more information on this or get things clarified as much as possible, but I believe this is how it's supposed to be working.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Yes, it is, as @evilmark444 has already pointed out. It apparently depends upon one's understanding of the information provided.

So, "upgrading to maximum rank for their respective type" is to be taken as a Trait, if not already at maximum, will be upgraded to the maximum possible for that Trait. If there is no Superior version of a given Trait, then it will only go as high as is possible for that given Trait. If the Trait exists only as its single instance, then it will not upgrade at all, because there is no higher version of it. That's how this is written to be interpreted.

Now, I will do my best to see if I can get more information on this or get things clarified as much as possible, but I believe this is how it's supposed to be working.

honestly, to leave it to interpretation is not something that should have to take place.

they need to learn to be more precise in terminology when people are spending time and monies on such things. they are often very vague in blog posts and then a TRIBBLE storm ensues due to inadequate details. they (cryptic) might understand what it is all about, but it doesnt translate well often times.

Actually, the terminology was precise, it's a failure in translation to the individual. There was nothing vague about it. A Trait will upgrade to its maximum rank. That is plainly said. So, if a Trait has a Superior version, it will upgrade to Superior. If it does not have a Superior version, then it is already at maximum and will not upgrade.

I specifically asked, and there were no new Superior Traits made for this upgrade. So, if a Trait does not rank up to Superior, then it has no Superior version and is already maxed. It is working as intended. Now, if people are experiencing other issues, like I believe I saw someone say a Trait got replaced instead, then you might want to file a bug report about that particular Trait.
    GrWzQke.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I agree the wording is clear. The wiki shows the expected results, with one surprise that Superior Logic might have pre-existed but been undocumented because it was never given to a boff.

Efficient was not changed to Superior Efficiency for one of the boffs in the results thread, so there are bugs.
    Thanks for finding out about whether new traits were made for this update. Clarity is appreciated.

Also because it's good to know that I can spend my money on other things for a while, since I disagree about the explanations being precise.
    In fact, I've given a clear example of information that was missing from the blog post - which, as a result, has given off wrong impressions (and no, I'm not alone in that).

'Misleading' is a term I find more appropriate, regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

Other people may disagree, but that's the conclusion I'll be drawing for myself.
    I actually enjoyed being able to upgrade my Boffs - but what I consider to be a misleading presentation of facts has turned the whole thing into disappointment.

edited September 2022

honestly, to leave it to interpretation is not something that should have to take place.

they need to learn to be more precise in terminology when people are spending time and monies on such things. they are often very vague in blog posts and then a TRIBBLE storm ensues due to inadequate details. they (cryptic) might understand what it is all about, but it doesnt translate well often times.

Actually, the terminology was precise, it's a failure in translation to the individual. There was nothing vague about it. A Trait will upgrade to its maximum rank. That is plainly said. So, if a Trait has a Superior version, it will upgrade to Superior. If it does not have a Superior version, then it is already at maximum and will not upgrade.

I specifically asked, and there were no new Superior Traits made for this upgrade. So, if a Trait does not rank up to Superior, then it has no Superior version and is already maxed. It is working as intended. Now, if people are experiencing other issues, like I believe I saw someone say a Trait got replaced instead, then you might want to file a bug report about that particular Trait.

point to a degree. the system should have been set up so that prior to application of token, it would show you upgrades or not. akin to the ship token.
    all available upgrades should be shown from a "now" to "upgrade" potential, with any failed or "no" upgrades showing as well. then a person can determine if they would desire to apply said token or not.

(now, this is all said with a caveat, as i have no tokens to apply to see any processes taken.)

That would have made sense.

But I guess it's just so much easier to make that the responsibility of the community (and the Wiki maintained by it) instead of taking said responsibility yourself, as the company producing and releasing the product.

Which is of course done all the time, including with lock box releases and detailed information related to powers, traits, consoles etc. in those.

Anyway, I guess I'd better leave this discussion now, as I'm becoming quite cynical.

point to a degree. the system should have been set up so that prior to application of token, it would show you upgrades or not. akin to the ship token.
    all available upgrades should be shown from a "now" to "upgrade" potential, with any failed or "no" upgrades showing as well. then a person can determine if they would desire to apply said token or not.

(now, this is all said with a caveat, as i have no tokens to apply to see any processes taken.)

It does actually show you what will upgrade and how before you apply the token. Everyone got a free one in their Promotions tab, so anyone can actually try this out for free. So, basically, you're complaining about something that you really don't know anything about.
    GrWzQke.png
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Ya know, this reminds me of a quote that my Dad (a highly decorated Communications Officer in the Navy that was in WWII) used to say quite often; "A lack of communication can get people killed". This quote is actually apt here as while no one will actually die from this update, the clarity of communication has certainly taken a beating, as is often the case with us humans unfortunately. In fact, this is the only MMOG I have ever played in my long life where no actual Dev's post's comments, ask questions, clarify things, or actually interact directly with the players. And that is a big mistake, and a huge shame in imo.

As far as this update goes, and the topic of this post, I would also say that the Dev's of Cryptic missed a big opportunity in solving this problem ahead of time, by implementing a relatively simple aspect of the update. And that was, when anyone goes to use a upgrade Token, a screen would pop up not only showing what exactly the token will upgrade, but also allow people to hit a "back" button in case they don't like what they see.

Not only would this let people know ahead of time what can and cannot be upgraded (thereby negating the need for anyone to make a list of said things that can be upgraded), it would also give people a chance to change their minds, as well as make upgrade tokens more "cost effective" (in that people don't have to play a guessing game with yet another in game item that they may have to buy with real life money). While not a perfect system of course, this addition would solve a bunch of headaches on both the players part and the Dev's as well.

Peace...

It does actually show you what will upgrade and how before you apply the token. Everyone got a free one in their Promotions tab, so anyone can actually try this out for free. So, basically, you're complaining about something that you really don't know anything about.

i guess my caveat was not something you read. :)

but given the postings about some things not taking hold, some expectations not being met, and well, maybe some people not seeing what others are...i am ok with being told to take a gander at it first, but the overall outcome seems less sparkly then what was presented in the blog.

Actually, it was read. That's why I mentioned that you were given one for free. So, you do actually have one.

People seem to have had expectations based on their misunderstanding of how this was going to work. That's understandable, I suppose.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited September 2022

Funny that you mention this, because the actual information in-game says exactly the same thing as how I interpreted the release blog:

w93r3zkxsbcq.png

'Upgrade all inherent traits to max rank'.

It doesn't even mention the whole 'type' thing here.

So yeah, going by the information that's available only in-game, the whole thing is even more misleading than the blog.

But I'm sure this is also just a failure on my part to properly translate something, right?

So yeah, going by the information that's available only in-game, the whole thing is even more misleading than the blog.

But I'm sure this is also just a failure on my part to properly translate something, right?

Max rank that exists. If There is no existing Superior Leadership then the max rank is just Leadership. I agree that adding "that exists" would make it clearer.

It would be nice to be able to preview changes instead of having to go to the wiki to check each trait for the max rank that exists.

Cryptic does need to fix Efficient not upgrading to Superior Efficiency.

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    They SHOULD have allowed a player to SEE the 'Upgraded' Boff Trait List when they select a Boff and have a 'Confirm' button that allows a player to cancel before a token is consumed.

(Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

The whole implementation of this is soo half-a$$ed its laughable; but I'm sure they'll scratch their head why no one who's played the game past one month will bother buying these things.

It's also hilarious to me that they didn't add a space trait slot for a Boff as that's the aspect of STO most players like, and what keeps many playing.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Funny that you mention this, because the actual information in-game says exactly the same thing as how I interpreted the release blog:

w93r3zkxsbcq.png

Yes, that is correct. Upgrades to max rank. Some Traits do not have Superior versions, though.

Yes, you are correct.

Max rank that exists. If There is no existing Superior Leadership then the max rank is just Leadership. I agree that adding "that exists" would make it clearer.

It would be nice to be able to preview changes instead of having to go to the wiki to check each trait for the max rank that exists.

Exactly. Some Traits just don't have a higher version, so obviously will not upgrade. I disagree with the need to add "that exists" for clarity. That in and of itself could be confusing to some, or may try to read more into it, as has already happened.

I agree that a preview of what the results of the upgraded BOFF would look like would be very helpful. Especially if one's results differed from the preview, indicating a bug.

I would suggest submitting a bug report for the Superior Efficient Trait.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited September 2022

w93r3zkxsbcq.png

Yes, that is correct. Upgrades to max rank. Some Traits do not have Superior versions, though.

Yes, you are correct.

Exactly. Some Traits just don't have a higher version, so obviously will not upgrade. I disagree with the need to add "that exists" for clarity. That in and of itself could be confusing to some, or may try to read more into it, as has already happened.

I agree that a preview of what the results of the upgraded BOFF would look like would be very helpful. Especially if one's results differed from the preview, indicating a bug.

So basically it's everyone's fault that Cryptic isn't providing the right information, except Cryptic's.

Got it.

w93r3zkxsbcq.png

Yes, you are correct.

So basically it's everyone's fault that Cryptic isn't providing the right information, except Cryptic's.

Got it.

Actually, that's your opinion that they're not providing the right information. I'm sure others agree with you, but not everyone. There still seems to be plenty of other people who understood what the blog said and meant. I'm sorry that you did not.
    GrWzQke.png
    Well they were clearer about this than the Patch Notes we got for Tuesday's Maintenance (aka none at all). At this stage can we expect anything crystal clear from any Blog.

On another note. The two new Embassy VR Science Boffs with SRO are the only Science Boffs with any sort of Operative Trait. Only the former Rare Tactical Boff that used to have SRO (now with Operative) have the Operative Trait at levels lower than VR. Subterfuge is the Space Trait that they all have.

There is no lockout of getting multiple Boffs of the same type at levels less than VR.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    We got a Kit Frame Slot. Does that lay the groundwork for the future addition of Kit Module Slots?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2022
    ltminns wrote: »
    We got a Kit Frame Slot. Does that lay the groundwork for the future addition of Kit Module Slots?

That will require the Epic Super Double-Elite Boff Upgrade Token ;)

More seriously: who knows? Maybe. Cryptic probably needs to write a bunch of code to get the NPCs to actually use the module you assign to them before they can offer that. If there are any kit frames with active powers I wouldn't be surprised if the boffs never use that power.
  • misterskimisterski Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    ltminns wrote: »

That will require the Epic Super Double-Elite Boff Upgrade Token ;)

More seriously: who knows? Maybe. Cryptic probably needs to write a bunch of code to get the NPCs to actually use the module you assign to them before they can offer that. If there are any kit frames with active powers I wouldn't be surprised if the boffs never use that power.

Would be nice to get those passive kit modules on boffs though. I don't ever use them on my characters.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    They intended for it to only affect traits that already had Superior versions, so I guess they assumed there was a list somewhere online already. Traits that aren't being upgraded to pre-existing Superior variants are probably just bugged.

I don't have to care what their intent was, they didn't document what is and isn't upgraded, that's what you call basic customer service. I also think you don't actually care due to the flippant assumption that people should have time to research trait by trait in a 3rd party website. [/quote]

edited September 2022
    Well, tomorrow's Patch Notes indicates that they are fixing the problem with the Embassy VR Science SROs of not being able to purchase more than one of each (M/F).
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.