test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yup you guessed it; another old man question... 😋

2»

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,348 Arc User
    I would assume that as Starfleet is a semi military organization, that hats would be at least part of a dress uniform for "official" functions, even though Officers are not required to wear them during regular duty, in much the same way that the military salute is no longer used by anyone outside of the Mirror Universe (that I have seen that is). However, I should point out that outside the Kelvin timeline, there was never a time in the original series where any Starfleet officer wore a hat at all (even during official dress uniform functions). So the one that was seen in Pike's cabin "might" have just been a item of interest as many officers tended to like to collect items from the past (such as Kirk did)...

Peace...

Well there's actually more then 1 dress uniform, I was never issued the second style but the other one was my Duty Uniform as I worked in HQ duties and that's how things worked for Enlisted in FDF when I served. It's possible that Hat is also part of a specific outdoors uniform which we just didn't see in TOS. You don't after all wear covers(aka hats) indoors and pretty much all ceremonial duties during TOS (and I think other series as well) were indoors.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,443 Arc User
    I can only address this from the perspective of the Air Force. We were issued fatigues, work blues, and dress blues. The fatigues (we were the last service to use the "olive-drab" OG-507 fatigues) were for use in physical labor; if you worked in the motor pool, on the flight line, or elsewhere on the grounds, you wore fatigues. My unit was office-bound, as we were all computer people, and we wore the work blues (long-sleeved blue shirt, short sleeves when permitted by the base commander, blue slacks, black shoes). Dress blues were nicer, although not nearly as fancy as say the USMC dress uniform. Covers (hats) were only to be worn out-of-doors; fatigues used a ballcap or the so-called "cadet cap" (the blue elongated affair you've probably seen on TV shows), work blues used the cadet cap, and dress blues were worn with cadet cap unless you were an officer in which case you had the "policeman" hat, with scrambled eggs on the brim for O-6 and above. To the best of my knowledge, caps were not required aboard aircraft, as aircraft are indoors. (This may not be entirely accurate, as my service was, as I said, on the ground.)

By concatenation, then, Starfleet uniforms should not generally be worn with hats except on away missions, as spacecraft are by definition indoors.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,626 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Certainly the normal areas and bridge are indoors.

Just to play devil's advocate, something like a football-field sized garden area with trees and grass on a starship might be considered "outdoors" if a ceremony was held there. I have no idea whether any federation ships had areas like that outside of a holodeck. Maybe on a medical or research ship?

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I've always viewed Starfleet as a bit of a hybrid organization. They're not pure civilian despite Roddenberry's claim to the contrary. Starfleet is the Exploration and military arm of the Federation. They are the ones who fight the wars. But they are also the ones exploring space and making scientific discoveries.

It wouldn't be out of line in any way to compare Starfleet to modern day Coast Guard or other similar groups during peace time. And we see pretty much in any era that Starfleet draws a lot from maritime traditions, referring to ships as female, navy rank structure for officers, naval terms, even some bybrid naval/submarine warfare.

To say that Starfleet is not military in any capacity is wrong. By nature it HAS to be to handle everything asked of it. It is a form of military in all but name. Just one that does FAR more than any modern military is asked of today.

A more accurate description would probably be more akin to UN Peacekeepers.

Not really because Starfleet ACTUALLY engages in full scale combat (which it even initiates) from time to time.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    the hats only outside thing does have exceptions. Award ceremonies will sometimes require head gear, Non -judicial punishment the defendant always wears a hat
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
This discussion has been closed.