test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Epic Price Token Unluckyness

hazardus#7743 hazardus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
After almost 3k phoenix boxes that i have opened , i could not earn not a single one Epic price token . Maybe there should be a counter that could count your failure , and for example at 1000 failed attempts should give you 1 epic for a reward ? and if for example you earn an epic token at 200 box opens the counter could go to zero again . I realy believe that this is a lot of unluckyness and i'm not the only one that have open more than 100 and still no epic token
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    That is unlucky, I guess. I think I've gotten one Epic token in the entire time we've had the Phoenix box. Even then, I traded it down, though. Since they just recently changed the Phoenix box, it's doubtful they'll be changing it again anytime soon, if ever.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Spent millions and millions of dilithium and not a single one...heck back in the old system I never even got a ultra rare
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    They do drop, but the odds are still very low.

What really stings is I have an Epic sitting in inventory that's useless to me because I have all of the T6 event ships already. I'd sell or even gift it if I could, but I can't. I had another but ground it down to UR to get a T5 I wanted.
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    And this is why I view Epic Prize Token's fairly much the same as Lock Boxes, in that the chance of getting what you wanted without first paying far more than what it's worth is just not worth it in the end (and so should not be expected)... at least to me. Basically, if you stand with your back against a river and throw a rock over your shoulder, and it has a better or even chance of falling into a passing boat then getting a Epic Prize Token (or something you wanted from a Lock Box as an example), then it's just not worth worth the effort, and should never be expected in the end. And again, that's sad...

Peace...
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I just use the phoenix packs for tech upgrades, and when available upgrading starships with the -x upgrades when available. Occasionally tribble or bridge officers but really tech upgrades still seem to make the most sense for gear
    edited September 2022
    I haven't been hunting Epics (see above) but I do need to keep buying more upgrade tokens every so often. That might be because I don't just gear a captain once and never again. New event shinies, new ships and new builds, different themes for space and ground.
  • proteus#8097 proteus Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    In the first three years of playing STO I never saw even one Epic or Ultra Rare Phoenix token. Then while opening a modest number of boxes to convert to upgrades I managed to snag two Epics in the space of a week. Sadly, I still have them as there is nothing too inspiring in the Epic list I want....except the Bajoran Interceptor, mainly for the console. I'd rather have an account unlock for that though. As I complete every new event than comes along, I doubt anything I haven't already claimed will be added to the Epic tier.
  • krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Hear hear, agreed with all the above posts. Been opening phoenix boxes since 2011 or 12, 1 epic, chose the nandi. I had an ultra (I think that's what it was) that i was debating on getting the old T5 risian luxury cruiser, and over the next few days they changed the whole system and removed it. lol Just wanted it for nostalgia so no biggie.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    (Flaming/trolling comments moderated out. - BMR).

Its been mentioned a few times, i'm sure, but i like the idea of adding guaranteed prizes after opening so many of the lottoboxes. Whether it be the main gamble, the R&D, or the phoenix boxes. When you open so many, it would be nice to get a nicer prize, ALSO getting better as that number continues.

50 = Rare
    100 = Very Rare
    150 = Epic
    200 = Legendary

I know it would never happen, but it would certainly win Cryptic a lot of positive feedback, as opposed to 90% of the lottobox reactions i see online.

On the opposite side of that, I've also had that as my usual luck streak in this game as i rarely get anything good, but managed to get three lockbox ships in a row one time. It was the lesser ships and i was immediately bombarded with PM's, so it was an unexpected surprise, but yeah. The RNG in this game has never been great, let alone good when money was involved. Not for me and not for a lot of others, from the sound of it.
  • psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    All I remember is when they first came out I spent a lot of dilithium trying to get a Epic token and after going through all my saved up dilithium I had no Epic tokens. I gave up trying for the Epic tokens. I now just use them to pick up the upgrade tokens, and since then I've gotten a few of the Epic tokens. But it still took opening a lot of boxes, but because I didn't care what I got it seemed that I was getting them easier. I still say the best way to get a Starship that you want is to buy it on the exchange, or through the different stores. Trying to get them in the lottery that is the boxes will always lead to disappointment.

Good Luck !
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    After almost 3k phoenix boxes that i have opened , i could not earn not a single one Epic price token . Maybe there should be a counter that could count your failure , and for example at 1000 failed attempts should give you 1 epic for a reward ? and if for example you earn an epic token at 200 box opens the counter could go to zero again . I realy believe that this is a lot of unluckyness and i'm not the only one that have open more than 100 and still no epic token

I went through the same thing years ago. it ended up taking me 2700 phoenix boxes to get one epic prize token, and I only needed it for the Ho'Kuun costume on my lukari themed character.

Of course, since then I've gotten two more and have nothing to use them on =/

I went through the same thing years ago. it ended up taking me 2700 phoenix boxes to get one epic prize token, and I only needed it for the Ho'Kuun costume on my lukari themed character.

Of course, since then I've gotten two more and have nothing to use them on =/

Yes, I griped about that above. Have they ever added any new Epic ships since Phoenix was introduced? Not that adding an event ship would help me since I have them all.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I don't think the Phoenix boxes were around in 2012...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > Yes, I griped about that above. Have they ever added any new Epic ships since Phoenix was introduced? Not that adding an event ship would help me since I have them all.

Only the Vulcan t'pau scout ship.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > Yes, I griped about that above. Have they ever added any new Epic ships since Phoenix was introduced? Not that adding an event ship would help me since I have them all.

Only the Vulcan t'pau scout ship.

The T'Pau really should have gone into the c-store with the other Vulcan ships after a sufficient time passed. It is really nothing special.

The ship I have been hoping to get from the phoenix boxes for the longest time has been the Samsar for my Kobali character since it is the only player character available Kobali ship.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,443 Arc User
    I have never gotten an Epic Prize Token, I might have gotten an Ultra Rare one time or maybe not. Still upset that they removed the Tier 5 Risan Corvette from the Phoenix Box. I was not playing STO when that was first introduced. I was like Captain Ahab hunting the Great White Whale, Moby Richard (I know what its name is) when it came to that prize and wanted it also as an Admiralty Ship.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • hazardus#7743 hazardus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    My point with that post is that phoenix packs are not a zen store item , or you cannot buy an epic token with real money from cryptic store , except some bundles reward that have an epic token , and it is clearly an ingame reward , so there should be other ways to get them . except all that , as many people mention before , many many people have epic tokens that are useless to them , cause they already have the most valuable items from previous events , but new players that cannot repeat these events cannot claim them . my idea of a counter is one of the ways cryptic can consider as a solution . or maybe there could be 1 tradeable epic price token per account per year for example . i dont think that cryptic will lose money if 10-20-30-50 epic tokens will be traded . they can also help new players that play less than 2 years to repeat 1 of the previous year events . there are a lot of ideas for that . hope there could be a solution to this cause many players need DOMINO for example , but all these people have the bajoran interceptor , epic token is really useless .......
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Again, they've already recently made changes to the Phoenix Box. They're not likely to make anymore changes to them anytime soon, if ever.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've only gotten one or two epics since phoenix boxes came out, one being from the free box you get when the phoenix event is going on.

I just get them for the upgrades when I need to upgrade stuff.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

You're not the only one. I've opened thousands (most probably into the tens of thousands) of these boxes since they were released and have only ever gotten 1 epic token. I never really cared because I was only after the phoenix upgrades, but the drop rate is pretty abysmal.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I just get them for the upgrades when I need to upgrade stuff.

That's the reason I get them too. Epic Prize token will be a welcome bonus, should it ever happen to me.

• psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    So far I've gotten 10 epics on my main account and 4 on an alternate account just as a byproduct of upgrading things on roughly a couple dozen characters (wasn't opening Phoenix boxes looking for them).
    protoneous wrote: »
    So far I've gotten 10 epics on my main account and 4 on an alternate account just as a byproduct of upgrading things on roughly a couple dozen characters (wasn't opening Phoenix boxes looking for them).

I've done similar to an equal number of captains. I've accrued exactly *one*. Your experience is wholly inconsistent with basically everyone else in the entire game. I say everyone else should beat you up and take your vouchers. You're the reason no one else is getting 'em. :wink:

Sadly mugging them for a golden ticket won't work, because Cryptic Wonka uses biometrics to lock the ticket to its owner.

You get nothing! Good DAY Sir!
  • krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    Wow those last two posts! hahahaha!

I said good day! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.