test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it me or have the overlays (like the menus) become darker?

midevilchaos#4670 midevilchaos Member Posts: 379 Arc User
Is it me or have the overlays (like the menus) become darker?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Could you provide any details? Like screenshots?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I didn't notice but i will have to check.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Can you be more specific?
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    Ignore the square I placed on the EC. Anyhow, the colours are darker than before on the menus/overlays.

62uqp9vzjigb.jpg

rgu13v2adxry.jpg

• Options
    captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    It has become darker. I went into the options and could not adjust it.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've noticed last week that suddenly my screen / UI was a lot darker than before, and tinkering with the in-game & screen brightness didn't fix the issue .

I noticed a thread on Reddit, but nothing since .
    I don't log in for as long of a periods as I used to, but I'm feeling the eye strain & considering just taking a break .
    Any news on this front ?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    /merged threads
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    Ignore the square I placed on the EC. Anyhow, the colours are darker than before on the menus/overlays.

62uqp9vzjigb.jpg

rgu13v2adxry.jpg

That looks like the normal Fed UI to me. I think somehow your UI theme got changed, so you're getting the Fed one instead of the orange-ish brighter KDF UI. You might try changing themes to another and back to KDF.
  • Options
    tom61sto wrote: »
    That looks like the normal Fed UI to me. I think somehow your UI theme got changed, so you're getting the Fed one instead of the orange-ish brighter KDF UI. You might try changing themes to another and back to KDF.

No, all my alts have the same UI on purpose. Also, if you read some of the above comments, I am not the only one who noticed the change in darkness. Had I posted my FED character instead, it would have shown the exact same thing.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited September 2022

No, all my alts have the same UI on purpose. Also, if you read some of the above comments, I am not the only one who noticed the change in darkness. Had I posted my FED character instead, it would have shown the exact same thing.

Do you happen to have a picture of how the UI used to look for you? Your current photo by and large looks the same as what I see on Fed UI checking on older pictures. Unless there's some sort of gamma-correction going on with your photo host, I wonder if you might have had some sort of issue previously that was making things out of spec before the update.

Here's a few months old pic from my end:
    rnhuszav446v.png
  • Options

Do you happen to have a picture of how the UI used to look for you? Your current photo by and large looks the same as what I see on Fed UI checking on older pictures. Unless there's some sort of gamma-correction going on with your photo host, I wonder if you might have had some sort of issue previously that was making things out of spec before the update.

Here's a few months old pic from my end:
    rnhuszav446v.png

No. Why would I? LOL

Besides, others are seeing the same problem. I'm NOT the only one. For things to have either been accidentally changed for a single character could have been possible, but for multiple characters AND multiple players? Impossible.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    And it's also infected Neverwinter as of last week, too.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Yeah, there is a "weird workaround" mentioned in the Bug Reports (PC) subsection which is under the Neverwinter Discussion (PC) section of the Neverwinter forums by one of the devs there named terramak. This bug does not like to show itself in screenshots and videos and apparently has gone to STO as well.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Really? You are speculating there may be a fix in Neverwinter that is applicable here, but not providing a link or any more information about it?

I doubt this is related to what STO users are experiencing anyway. But I cannot test it, because I either am not affected by it, or cannot see the difference that you all are reporting. If anyone is brave enough to mess with their settings to see, I think we should empower them to do so.

To that end, this is the “fix” that Sthe91 is mentioning:

>@terramak said:
    > Popping in to note that, if I'm guessing correctly, this may be similar to an issue I've been talking to folks internally about.
    >If the issue is that the borders of various UI elements (such as text, the squares around powers, etc.) draw too thickly and make it look "darker" because it's more obscured, then you may be seeing a similar issue to one I've been seeing and finally found reproduction steps to, recently. It seems to require having a high-DPI monitor and having scaling on.
    >And yeah, the bewildering thing is that it doesn't show up in screenshots, or in videos, so it's hard to prove it happens.
    >If your case is the same as mine: You can work around this by entering Fullscreen mode and exiting again. If you don't want that to mess with the size of your open windows / your desktop icon layout, you can instead do the following:
    Find your Neverwinter executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe")
    Right-click on the file and select Properties.
    Go to the Compatibility tab.
    Click the "Change high DPI settings" button.
    Activate the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." checkbox. Then click OK.
    This will, unfortunately, make text in the game small, but you can fix that by using the in-game UI Scaling options.
    >I hope this works in the short term, while we look into a long-term fix that doesn't require such a weird workaround

And here is the link to the Neverwinter thread:

(Link removed per forum rules. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    > @qultuq said:
    > Really? You are speculating there may be a fix in Neverwinter that is applicable here, but not providing a link or any more information about it?
    >
    > I doubt this is related to what STO users are experiencing anyway. But I cannot test it, because I either am not affected by it, or cannot see the difference that you all are reporting. If anyone is brave enough to mess with their settings to see, I think we should empower them to do so.
    >
    > To that end, this is the “fix” that Sthe91 is mentioning:
    >
    > >@terramak said:
    > > Popping in to note that, if I'm guessing correctly, this may be similar to an issue I've been talking to folks internally about.
    > >If the issue is that the borders of various UI elements (such as text, the squares around powers, etc.) draw too thickly and make it look "darker" because it's more obscured, then you may be seeing a similar issue to one I've been seeing and finally found reproduction steps to, recently. It seems to require having a high-DPI monitor and having scaling on.
    > >And yeah, the bewildering thing is that it doesn't show up in screenshots, or in videos, so it's hard to prove it happens.
    > >If your case is the same as mine: You can work around this by entering Fullscreen mode and exiting again. If you don't want that to mess with the size of your open windows / your desktop icon layout, you can instead do the following:
    > Find your Neverwinter executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe")
    > Right-click on the file and select Properties.
    > Go to the Compatibility tab.
    > Click the "Change high DPI settings" button.
    > Activate the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." checkbox. Then click OK.
    > This will, unfortunately, make text in the game small, but you can fix that by using the in-game UI Scaling options.
    > >I hope this works in the short term, while we look into a long-term fix that doesn't require such a weird workaround
    >
    > And here is the link to the Neverwinter thread:
    >
    > (Link removed per forum rules. - BMR)

I am not speculating about this, the core team is responsible for all Cryptic games including Star Trek Online. Therefore when something is changed in the engine it can affect not only the game mentioned but others as well.

I did provide some information and I usually don't provide links but also because crosslinking is prohibited according to forum rules. I never called it a 'fix' but a "workaround" because it does not permanently solve the problem.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    > @qultuq said:
    > Really? You are speculating there may be a fix in Neverwinter that is applicable here, but not providing a link or any more information about it?
    >
    > I doubt this is related to what STO users are experiencing anyway. But I cannot test it, because I either am not affected by it, or cannot see the difference that you all are reporting. If anyone is brave enough to mess with their settings to see, I think we should empower them to do so.
    >
    > To that end, this is the “fix” that Sthe91 is mentioning:
    >
    > >@terramak said:
    > > Popping in to note that, if I'm guessing correctly, this may be similar to an issue I've been talking to folks internally about.
    > >If the issue is that the borders of various UI elements (such as text, the squares around powers, etc.) draw too thickly and make it look "darker" because it's more obscured, then you may be seeing a similar issue to one I've been seeing and finally found reproduction steps to, recently. It seems to require having a high-DPI monitor and having scaling on.
    > >And yeah, the bewildering thing is that it doesn't show up in screenshots, or in videos, so it's hard to prove it happens.
    > >If your case is the same as mine: You can work around this by entering Fullscreen mode and exiting again. If you don't want that to mess with the size of your open windows / your desktop icon layout, you can instead do the following:
    > Find your Neverwinter executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe")
    > Right-click on the file and select Properties.
    > Go to the Compatibility tab.
    > Click the "Change high DPI settings" button.
    > Activate the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." checkbox. Then click OK.
    > This will, unfortunately, make text in the game small, but you can fix that by using the in-game UI Scaling options.
    > >I hope this works in the short term, while we look into a long-term fix that doesn't require such a weird workaround
    >
    > And here is the link to the Neverwinter thread:
    >
    > (Link removed per forum rules. - BMR)

I am not speculating about this, the core team is responsible for all Cryptic games including Star Trek Online. Therefore when something is changed in the engine it can affect not only the game mentioned but others as well.

I did provide some information and I usually don't provide links but also because crosslinking is prohibited according to forum rules. I never called it a 'fix' but a "workaround" because it does not permanently solve the problem.

Wait, crosslinking links between two Cryptic games can't be done? What type of BS rule is that???
  • Options
    qultuq wrote: »
    Really? You are speculating there may be a fix in Neverwinter that is applicable here, but not providing a link or any more information about it?

I doubt this is related to what STO users are experiencing anyway. But I cannot test it, because I either am not affected by it, or cannot see the difference that you all are reporting. If anyone is brave enough to mess with their settings to see, I think we should empower them to do so.

To that end, this is the “fix” that Sthe91 is mentioning:

>@terramak said:
    > Popping in to note that, if I'm guessing correctly, this may be similar to an issue I've been talking to folks internally about.
    >If the issue is that the borders of various UI elements (such as text, the squares around powers, etc.) draw too thickly and make it look "darker" because it's more obscured, then you may be seeing a similar issue to one I've been seeing and finally found reproduction steps to, recently. It seems to require having a high-DPI monitor and having scaling on.
    >And yeah, the bewildering thing is that it doesn't show up in screenshots, or in videos, so it's hard to prove it happens.
    >If your case is the same as mine: You can work around this by entering Fullscreen mode and exiting again. If you don't want that to mess with the size of your open windows / your desktop icon layout, you can instead do the following:
    Find your Neverwinter executable (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Neverwinter_en\Neverwinter.exe")
    Right-click on the file and select Properties.
    Go to the Compatibility tab.
    Click the "Change high DPI settings" button.
    Activate the "Override high DPI scaling behavior." checkbox. Then click OK.
    This will, unfortunately, make text in the game small, but you can fix that by using the in-game UI Scaling options.
    >I hope this works in the short term, while we look into a long-term fix that doesn't require such a weird workaround

And here is the link to the Neverwinter thread:

(Link removed per forum rules. - BMR)

Thanks! Ima look at that later once I'll play STO.
  • Options
    bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    [/quote]Wait, crosslinking links between two Cryptic games can't be done? What type of BS rule is that???[/quote]

Having experienced this before in another game company that shall remain nameless, the only reason such a rule would exist is to keep one hand knowing what the other hand is doing I am afraid...

Peace...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Wait, crosslinking links between two Cryptic games can't be done? What type of BS rule is that???

Having experienced this before in another game company that shall remain nameless, the only reason such a rule would exist is to keep one hand knowing what the other hand is doing I am afraid...

Peace...

That makes no sense to me. Perhaps you could clarify how it does?
  • Options
    Personally, I have not noticed any
    sthe91 wrote: »
    > @qultuq said:
    > Really? You are specul

Because they only wanted to really develop and put the time & money into the one game that they figured could earn them the most money in return, so they only would make a "token" effort in doing things for the other game. And if the player base found out about it (which they did eventually), it they thought it would cause a shitstorm which could by effect reduce interest in the game they were truly backing in the end (which it did). Some also speculated that it was a passive means to end the game in question as well without the company having to pull the plug themselves, but I always had a hard time believing that one. Companies though will do some funny things in regards to business though, so who knows...

Peace...
  • Options
    Because they only wanted to really develop and put the time & money into the one game that they figured could earn them the most money in return, so they only would make a "token" effort in doing things for the other game. And if the player base found out about it (which they did eventually), it they thought it would cause a shitstorm which could by effect reduce interest in the game they were truly backing in the end (which it did). Some also speculated that it was a passive means to end the game in question as well without the company having to pull the plug themselves, but I always had a hard time believing that one. Companies though will do some funny things in regards to business though, so who knows...

Peace...

So... we both agree this is complete BS then?
  • Options
    Well, I wouldn't go on to say or be that harsh as far as I am concerned; especially seeing as I do not know if this is what Cryptic is doing or attitude is with proof (especially as I am not feeling very good physically today). However, in this day and age, and perhaps even throughout the ages, Business can be a very dirty world, so nothing would surprise me about it. After all, far worse has been done for far more gain. But it is a very unusual "rule" that does serve as yet another "Huh(?)" moment about the company, and that is never good. But this as this is sorta off topic, I will leave it at that...

Peace...
  • Options
    cpr#5779 cpr Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I had the same problem and I went to display settings in windows and turned off HDR. Night settings was already off. It fixed the problem for me.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @cpr#5779 said:
    > I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I had the same problem and I went to display settings in windows and turned off HDR. Night settings was already off. It fixed the problem for me.

That is the most helpful information that has come out of this whole discussion. Someone should let the left hand at Neverwinter know about this too. Maybe it will help them develop a better long-term fix, if the problems are related.

@terramak Please look at this if you have time.
  • Options
    cpr#5779 wrote: »
    I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I had the same problem and I went to display settings in windows and turned off HDR. Night settings was already off. It fixed the problem for me.

My PC does NOT support HDR. So... that won't work :(
This discussion has been closed.