test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Autopilot thread

rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
Recent discussion regarding Sector Space has brought up something several people have experienced. Autopilot not quite working in many areas.

In an effort to help the Devs in some way to narrow down the issue, I'd like to collect data on where Autopilot doesn't work. Please feel free to contribute any information you can, and please be sure to include your starting point and your destination as sometimes it works going to one place, but not another. If you wish to include faction feel free.

So for example...

K7 to Nukara Prime
Defera to DS9
db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Add drozanna to kerrat
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    I haven't tried it recently, but the one I've had trouble with on several occasions was the Tzenkethi Battlezone ... I believe that is Defera to TB, though it might have been DS9 to TB. I'll test it in a bit on a few characters and edit this post.

Edit: Ok, after some testing if I transwarp to Defera and then try to auto-pilot to the Tzenkethi Battlezone it doesn't work, even if I fly somewhere else in the quadrant first. Auto-pilot just sets the throttle to 50% and doesn't steer the ship at all.

If I enter the quadrant from DS9 then auto-pilot to the Tzenkethi Battlezone DOES work.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I can comfirm that Defera to DS9 happens a lot for me too.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I found Sherman's Planet to Nakura to be the worst. So now I keep 'Spin the Wheel' in my Mission List and travel to Nakura from Drozanna.

I've found the greatest mess-ups if you travel in Sector Space after just Transwarpping to a location. Also, be cognizant of the direction your ship is facing after a Transwarp. Refacing towards your Sector Space destination may somewhat mitigate mess-ups. Shermans/Nakura would never benefit from this .
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    DS9 to Gon'cra. If you are near sol and want to go to delta volanis the nav trigger the do you want to go to alpha quadrant dialog. still get caught inside stars too but it's rare
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Starbase 39-Sierra to Haakona. Defera to Bajor (because for some reason I can always transwarp to Defera, but never to Bajor, despite having Bajor theoretically available on the transwarp list, so I'll jump to Defera then fly to Bajor when I want to get to DS9 - but autonav will send me in the opposite direction until I turn manually).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    Qo'nos to Narendra. Every time I set it to go to Narendra (which is about 30 or forty degrees east of north from Qo'nos) it would instead try to head somewhere in the direction of Viranat (about the same angle but to the west instead).

It refused to head for Narendra until I flew it manually towards that destination and got within a few degrees of the correct angle, then it locked on Narendra instead of mirroring it.

Also, as Corinthalas mentioned the transwarp does tend to break any navigation lock and the ship just keeps going in the general direction but does not stop at the destination and hitting any stars along the way will throw the ship off course, and without the lock the ship does not correct course so you can end up quite a ways off from the destination. A kludge for that transwarp problem is to re-set the destination when engaging transwarp and again once it runs out and the ship returns to regular warp.
  • Options
    Also, as Corinthalas mentioned the transwarp does tend to break any navigation lock and the ship just keeps going in the general direction but does not stop at the destination and hitting any stars along the way will throw the ship off course, and without the lock the ship does not correct course so you can end up quite a ways off from the destination. A kludge for that transwarp problem is to re-set the destination when engaging transwarp and again once it runs out and the ship returns to regular warp.

If you're talking slipstream, its based on HOW you activate it. If you use your throttle controls then yes it will break the autopilot. However if you put the slipstream power in your power tray, then no it won't break autopilot.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

If you're talking slipstream, its based on HOW you activate it. If you use your throttle controls then yes it will break the autopilot. However if you put the slipstream power in your power tray, then no it won't break autopilot.

Yes, I meant slipstream, I get those two names mixed up for some reason :lol:
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    I've noticed that the Delta quadrant portal from pretty much anywhere seems to stop few light years early from the interact point when using autopilot regardless if you use standard warp or slipstream, the Solanae gateway that is.
    Also this happens regardless of faction.
  • Options
    knightmare#8708 knightmare Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    Qo'nos to Narendra.

Transwarping to Azure Nebula then trying to set course for New Romulus, Carrera System or the Dyson gateway almost never works while inside the Azure nebula, once outside it will then lock on.

Starbase 39-Sierra to Haakona.

Setting course for DS9 or Bajor doesn't stop when it reaches location, you just continue past until you hit the edge of the sector. The same happens when setting course for Drozana Station, you fail to stop and instead fly right on past. Does not seem to matter where you set course from. Most annoying if you set course and went for a bathroom break only to come back and find yourself at the edge of the sector again and then have to turn around and fly all the way back. If I could fire my navigator I would.

On occasion setting course for Nimbus III also goes past the planet, but not always, seems to be about a 60/40 chance of actually stopping, Slipstream may also interfere with this. Nukara seems to be about a 30% chance of flying past the planet also.

Faction does not seem to have any effect as it happens on Romulan, Klingon or Fed captains.

I should also note that these issues from playing the Xbox version, I don't play the PC version very often so I don't know if the same issues occur there as often.
  • Options
    tempur76tempur76 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Transwarp to Defera > Depart System > Auto Navigate to DS9, Bajor, Goncra, etc.

Ship will throttle up to 1/2 speed and travel straight ahead with no turns. Stopping and re-engaging auto navigate results in the same behavior. Changing elevation fixes the issue.
  • Options
    K-7 to Fed Fleet Starbase
    Fed Fleet Starbase to K-7
  • Options
    nametaken9999nametaken9999 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Anywhere there is lag, autopilot is unreliable.

I tried to autopilot and my ship literally sat and spun 360's until I repeated the exact same actions, then it took off in the right direction.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    god stuck in nukara's star, had to wait for tw cooldown to get out
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Delta Volanis to Sol System
  • Options
    captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    I can confirm that I cannot autonavigate from Sherman's planet to Nukara. This has been happening for quite some time now.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
  • Options
    merkestrelmerkestrel Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I also experience issues with the autopilot. I have noticed that many of the issues with navigation are between points close or on the same horizontal plane. Or perhaps there isn't good line-of-sight to the target. I usually plunge my ship down or up and am successful on the next autopilot attempt after moving on the Z axis. Perhaps the system has issues with navigating in a 3D environment? For me it became worse after the sector walls came down. Has anyone tried this work-around to verify?
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    going from defera or DS9 to the goncra battlezone, you have to go above mariah /defera sectors before it locks on. I usually go to zaria or raveh, then as i approach there, i switch to the battlezone
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Often autopilot to New Romulus also doesn't work (often) from Klingon Space, as well as others...
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    phxcricketphxcricket Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I cannot transwarp to any of the choices in the Alpha quadrant menu from anywhere. If I have a transwarp coil I can transwarp to any of those additional choices. The main menu choices of Defera, DS9, and the others do work just fine as well. I do have random autopilot fails that take me in the wrong direction. Second activation usually corrects the course. I will watch for any pattern to it as nothing stands out that I have noticed.
    B)
  • Options
    captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    I would like to add that I cannot auto-navigate from Sherman's Planet to the Federation Starbase. Also, on some of my characters, not all, I cannot transwarp to the Alpha Quadrant. Not sure if this is a level induced restriction or another type of restriction based on episode play, though.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Autopilot not working in many cases has been around for several years. For me the usual result is, I open map, click my destination, and my ship just starts flying straight ahead in whatever direction it was pointing.

It may be less a situation of "where" it happens and more something to do with the code context your captain is in.

At any rate, one of the most common ones is depart Qo'Nos system, you're in sector space pointing roughly at KDF Fleet starbase. Autonav to Fleet Starbase, ship just starts flying straight ahead.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    For me it appears to be just about anywhere I go from or to it passes the destination and refuses to stop.
    In fact it has happened to me sooo much that I monitor it while its going so I stop the ship when it reaches its destination, since the computer has no clue how to stop the ship any more :)
    From quonos, I also find from time to time the ship wont turn or even begin to alter course to target let alone stop at it when its supposed to.
  • Options
    justincase#6638 justincase Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Almost every time I use the slipstream drive... the ship will lose target lock on the destination and fly past. So, after any use of slipstream, I will re-target my destination or manually stop slipstream. Also, bouncing off a star seems to disrupt auto-nav as well.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Almost every time I use the slipstream drive... the ship will lose target lock on the destination and fly past. So, after any use of slipstream, I will re-target my destination or manually stop slipstream. Also, bouncing off a star seems to disrupt auto-nav as well.

I was right about to post this myself. I haven't hit the issue with the Autopilot NOT working but there are times where i set a destination and just don't go there. Slipstream is the most notable example of things that turn off the autopilot.

EVERY time, Every usage, it just says "Nope!" to the autopilot
  • Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    That has always been a feature of autopilot. Any manual inputs after autopilot is engaged turns off autopilot. The thinking behind this is that the player wants control of the ship back. They decided that slipstream is a manual input and turns off autopilot, so you have to re-target your destination after slipstream is finished.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    krisxr400 wrote: »
    That has always been a feature of autopilot. Any manual inputs after autopilot is engaged turns off autopilot. The thinking behind this is that the player wants control of the ship back. They decided that slipstream is a manual input and turns off autopilot, so you have to re-target your destination after slipstream is finished.

I have found that you can re-target your destination right after you set your SSD, but YMMV. 6xqo7bo5l07e.jpg

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    @zedbrightlander1 Love your pics, memes, or whatever they are, lol :smiley:
    I could use some advice from Sidney!