test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unscheduled PC Maintenance

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
edited August 2022 in Release Notes
Star Trek Online will have unscheduled PC maintenance tonight, 7/21, at 10pm PT. (In one hour and a half.) Estimated downtime is 2.5 hours. This update will fix the issue with refining dilithium.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    damocles2209damocles2209 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    2.5 hours, in the evening... the only time that most people have away from work and obligations. REALLY great planning from the team, there...
  • Options
    juryriggedforumjuryriggedforum Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Could be worse. This is essentially an 'emergency' fix. Sure, it shouldn't have been broken in the first place, but I played another game (Phantasy Star Online 2/New Genesis) briefly which had a 6 hour maintenance window from 8pm to 2am Eastern every Tuesday. Every Tuesday. It probably won't be 2.5 hours, either.
  • Options
    valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    2.5 hours, in the evening... the only time that most people have away from work and obligations. REALLY great planning from the team, there...

Indeed. Pretty sure this could have waited until morning.

You know, when they normally do maintenance. :/
  • Options
    diesel#3831 diesel Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    valethar wrote: »

well, it's morning here ;)
  • Options
    walt04walt04 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Just want to say before all the hate comes out. I understand the frustration but I also have to say that Sense Gearbox and the new staff have taken over I've seen a hell of a lot more try than I have in the 12+ years my Wife and I have been playing. I also have to say that I Understand these folks walked into a hell of a mess figuring out others mistakes and piles of band aids that have plagued the game for years. Yes, it sucks having to do this at night but it don't happen often and at least they care enough to work on it all day and fix it as soon as possible. So from my Verry dedicated Family and fan of the game We appreciate the work you folks are doing. we can see the effort and the obsticles you have and it's much better than it was. Keep the faith and keep hammering. we know you will get there.
  • Options
    lordtime2000#4947 lordtime2000 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I hope you add a day to the Risa event, some of us play around that time (10 pm pt) to play with fleet members / friends. I was was on vaction this month and had bad internet (could watch youtube). I also only have 1 lobi so I don't remember when or where I got it, I save up my game money to do a buyout, but I can't use it.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User

It wasn't planned. As it had to address an unforeseen issue that needed to be solved quickly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,005 Arc User
    REALLY great planning from the team, there...
    I think you missed this word:
    unscheduled
    Great to have had such a quick fix on this - nicely done!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    valethar wrote: »

As stated in the above Tweets, this was emergency maintenance, which by definition meant getting it out there ASAP. Like it or not, the majority of players are in the U.S., and doing this maintenance at 10PM - 12:30AM PST, means it's 1AM - 3:30AM on the East Coast. Most of the U.S. should be asleep and therefore not impacted. But given that the player community is global, someone is always going to be impacted no matter what time maintenance is done.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thanks for fixing the dil problem.

I don't need an extra day added, I'll be done tomorrow.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    walt04 wrote: »
    Just want to say before all the hate comes out. I understand the frustration but I also have to say that Sense Gearbox and the new staff have taken over I've seen a hell of a lot more try than I have in the 12+ years my Wife and I have been playing. I also have to say that I Understand these folks walked into a hell of a mess figuring out others mistakes and piles of band aids that have plagued the game for years. Yes, it sucks having to do this at night but it don't happen often and at least they care enough to work on it all day and fix it as soon as possible. So from my Verry dedicated Family and fan of the game We appreciate the work you folks are doing. we can see the effort and the obsticles you have and it's much better than it was. Keep the faith and keep hammering. we know you will get there.

What are you talking about? Gearbox just BOUGHT Cryptic. Within Cryptic there hasn't been a lot of change and if anything - the internal mistakes and poor QA have made the game WORSE over the last year and NOTHING Gearbox has done since they bought PWE has changed that situation.

How absolutely drop dead POOR must their QA testing procedures be when they CLEAR a patch for release where a function used DAILY by probably EVERY player in the game DOESN'T WORK <--- And it appears NO ONE AT CRYPTIC knew?

And the fact they need a 2.5 hour maintenance window to fix it.

That's MASSIVE game development incompetence all on CLEAR display. (Even the fact they didn't immediately roll back the server patch once they knew.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,005 Arc User
    How absolutely drop dead POOR must their QA testing procedures be when they CLEAR a patch for release where a function used DAILY by probably EVERY player in the game DOESN'T WORK <--- And it appears NO ONE AT CRYPTIC knew?
    I've previously been involved in QA testing of this sort on other games and software.
    Usually, the procedure involves testing the stuff that's new and the stuff that's been fixed. I've never had to test a function that hasn't been touched and has been working just fine for years. Why would you?
    Hence, why this wasn't found during testing.
    And the fact they need a 2.5 hour maintenance window to fix it.
    There's a lot going on 'behind the scenes' during a server maintenance - planned or unplanned!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I've previously been involved in QA testing of this sort on other games and software.
    Usually, the procedure involves testing the stuff that's new and the stuff that's been fixed. I've never had to test a function that hasn't been touched and has been working just fine for years. Why would you?

Hence, why this wasn't found during testing.

LOL - I see they don't teach any aspect of actual programming - and if so no wonder 'odern QA' is in such a state.

FYI - Been working with Computers since mainframes were the thing (circa 1975); have a programming degree and did software development for 7 years before just branching off into IT support as it paid just as much but was IMO less stressful.

Anyway, when you make any changes/updates to a LARGE codebase; and such changes can incur 'knock on' effects, meaning things that worked perfectly before may not work even when their actual code was not directly 'touched'.

Now in a good QA environment, you have automated scripts that you can run to test the simple functions and just see the logged results. But I'd love to know what software/games you QAed (so I can avoid them) as they must be a mess if QA doesn't have a way to verify oft used functions are in fact still working as expected after any major code addition/modification/refactor.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.