test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A nod to the California Class from Lower Decks...

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    moe#1896 wrote: »
    Being brand new to STO, I'm glad this ship will be introduced to the game.

you won't be when you realize it'll be in a gambling box with a 0.1% drop rate.

And again... WE DO NOT KNOW THAT WILL BE THE CASE.

All we know is that it is coming. HOW it is coming is stull unknown. NO ONE on the forums can say with 100% absolute certainty how ANY ship will be released. It is all speculation. And frankly the ship has about as much chance of being C-Store as it does anything else. To say otherwise long before we get ANYTHING other than this teaser is... well... frankly fearmongering and just looking for an excuse to attack in some way.
    While my opinion on this may come off a bit sharp, note that this is MY opinion, and that I am hust honestly tired of the constant need to tear things down before we even know ANYTHING at all.
    Honestly all I ask is that people pull back on the "there is no way it can be anything but X for Y reason" declarations. Its demoralizing, and borderline attackish at this point because it feels like Cryptic announces ANYTHING, the automatic response is negative before we learn anything at all.
    [/vent]

I needed a good vent.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/tzbkun/star_trek_mission_chicago_sto_panel_wrapup/
    The tutorial is revamped, and will now include Janeway providing voiceover and parts. They showed Captain Taggart getting assimilated like from First Contact.

I'm not sure I like that... he already lost his original name in the first tutorial revamp, and now his sacrificial death is being changed to being assimilated? I suppose it's technically closer to the first tutorial, when the bridge crew was "targeted" by the Borg, but why not just make a new captain?
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Being brand new to STO, I'm glad this ship will be introduced to the game.

you won't be when you realize it'll be in a gambling box with a 0.1% drop rate.

And again... WE DO NOT KNOW THAT WILL BE THE CASE.

All we know is that it is coming. HOW it is coming is stull unknown. NO ONE on the forums can say with 100% absolute certainty how ANY ship will be released. It is all speculation. And frankly the ship has about as much chance of being C-Store as it does anything else. To say otherwise long before we get ANYTHING other than this teaser is... well... frankly fearmongering and just looking for an excuse to attack in some way.
    While my opinion on this may come off a bit sharp, note that this is MY opinion, and that I am hust honestly tired of the constant need to tear things down before we even know ANYTHING at all.
    Honestly all I ask is that people pull back on the "there is no way it can be anything but X for Y reason" declarations. Its demoralizing, and borderline attackish at this point because it feels like Cryptic announces ANYTHING, the automatic response is negative before we learn anything at all.
    [/vent]

I needed a good vent.

expecting it to come out in a loot box of some sort is hardly baseless speculation, it's based on long term observation of trends and precident.

STO has a pretty eistablished pattern with the ships from the new series being in loot boxes. if people are less charitable to cryptic as a result of this policy and vent their frustrations that's perfectly understandable and cyrptic certainly has an obvious path to address this.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Its demoralizing, and borderline attackish at this point

I don't mean any of my own statements about it, in my opinion, being a definite Promo ship as an attack against Cryptic, I'm just being realistic about it. Have the devs said anything about it yet? Not directly, but no hero ship from any of the new shows has made it in as a normal C-Store ship so the established precedent is that it will be in some kind of box, and the Parliament is a Lockbox ship so R&D Promo seems like the most likely destination for the California. The silver lining to that is that we should all be able to get one for free next year if they do the event campaign again.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    I hear Hero Ship and Promo Ship ect... It's a California Class a half baked light cruiser which shouldn't have anything so powerful that it should go in any box. I rather have them actually have the ship more as a fun factor like the show instead of a serious I will put it in Promo Box so the next DPS Junkie gets all hot and sweaty.

I really hope that the ship is going in the direction FUN as the show and so much into help me Player Base I need to make another buck yet on another ship. So that why I hope it be the Summer Event ship or even the Winter Event ship. I really like the show god knows it by far better then Discovery or Picard... So I hope the ship will be fun with a fun console and fun trait and not necessary something I need to get more DPS out of a ship...
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    I hear Hero Ship and Promo Ship ect... It's a California Class a half baked light cruiser
    "Hero Ship" just means it's the main protagonist ship from a series, it doesn't mean it's a powerhouse Flagship or anything like that.
    I rather have them actually have the ship more as a fun factor like the show instead of a serious I will put it in Promo Box so the next DPS Junkie gets all hot and sweaty.
    The Parliament is considered horrible by the DPS crowd, but the devs put it in a Lockbox anyway.
    So I hope the ship will be fun with a fun console and fun trait and not necessary something I need to get more DPS out of a ship...
    Given the nature of the show I'm sure the console and trait will be focused on fun, but "fun" and "promo" are not mutually exclusive.

eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Saying that it WILL be as if it is certain, is premature.
    Besides we have several hero ships of that era in the C-Store already. Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, and Sovereign classes. None of those are lockbox. And they were in game long before Legendaries came out. And based on the fact that the Cali is basically an overworked workhorse of a ship and not a front line combat vessel...
    Honestly any possibility is possible. EQUALLY. So I don't see why everyone has to fixate on one possibility and shoot down people hoping for another possibility because "we saw it in the past therefor it is true".

We. Don't. Know.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions on the subject, but to say it with such finality as if it is the truth... that's pushing it for me on this subject. Especially by not even stating that this stance is based on an opinion. It leads others to believe that it is fact, and can be misleading.

Frankly... we should just wait and see.

And I don't see any Legendary for her yet. There is no in game legacy established for her to customize with. The only one that had a similar situation was the Legendary DSC Connie, only having the one version in game. All the others have two or three at least besides the Legendary.

IMO best case scenario might be a C-Store 3 pack like we used to see with like the Odyssey, since it is established in canon that Cali class ships had specific roles they were set up for.

And don't forget that positions can change regarding Event ship status. So again... its totally up in the air how we will get her. There is no concrete answer until we get closer to her actual release, whenever that may be. Hell... she might not even be a SEASONAL event either if they go that route. We have had at least one off season event ship, an Elachi one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Honestly I don't know how the Cali will be released. But I'm not going to rant and rave about possibilities. IMO she has an equal chance of being C-Store as she does being Lockbox or Promo. Hell... there's even a slim chance she'll be a seasonal event ship.

We just don't know.

And before someone slams me to say "yes we do because reasons"... please don't because the truth is we don't know. Until they actually announce ANYTHING, it is all speculation. And going all doom and gloom over how a ship is POSSIBLY going to be released doesn't really help anyone.

Some people associate California with Summer type water sports.... Maybe appropriate for the Summer Event ship ;)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    Honestly I don't know how the Cali will be released. But I'm not going to rant and rave about possibilities. IMO she has an equal chance of being C-Store as she does being Lockbox or Promo. Hell... there's even a slim chance she'll be a seasonal event ship.

We just don't know.

And before someone slams me to say "yes we do because reasons"... please don't because the truth is we don't know. Until they actually announce ANYTHING, it is all speculation. And going all doom and gloom over how a ship is POSSIBLY going to be released doesn't really help anyone.

Some people associate California with Summer type water sports.... Maybe appropriate for the Summer Event ship ;)
    One can hope and traditionally Trek is themed on hope and not hyper aggressive negativity, hell in the end even DSC is more about hope and overcoming problems then negativity and doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Saying that it WILL be as if it is certain, is premature.
    Besides we have several hero ships of that era in the C-Store already. Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, and Sovereign classes. None of those are lockbox. And they were in game long before Legendaries came out. And based on the fact that the Cali is basically an overworked workhorse of a ship and not a front line combat vessel...
    Honestly any possibility is possible. EQUALLY. So I don't see why everyone has to fixate on one possibility and shoot down people hoping for another possibility because "we saw it in the past therefor it is true".

We. Don't. Know.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions on the subject, but to say it with such finality as if it is the truth... that's pushing it for me on this subject. Especially by not even stating that this stance is based on an opinion. It leads others to believe that it is fact, and can be misleading.

Frankly... we should just wait and see.

And I don't see any Legendary for her yet. There is no in game legacy established for her to customize with. The only one that had a similar situation was the Legendary DSC Connie, only having the one version in game. All the others have two or three at least besides the Legendary.

IMO best case scenario might be a C-Store 3 pack like we used to see with like the Odyssey, since it is established in canon that Cali class ships had specific roles they were set up for.

And don't forget that positions can change regarding Event ship status. So again... its totally up in the air how we will get her. There is no concrete answer until we get closer to her actual release, whenever that may be. Hell... she might not even be a SEASONAL event either if they go that route. We have had at least one off season event ship, an Elachi one.

except that the defiant, galaxy etc aren't from that era. in that they're from a differant era of trek (basicly the 90s) the problem with using the "well maybe the discovery etc stuff is just an era issue" can be summed up in one word "The Inquiry" (as well as the romulan ship from Picard) those ships are EMINATLY approperate to the era but they where in a gamblebox.
  • Options
    except that the defiant, galaxy etc aren't from that era. in that they're from a differant era of trek

It's more that they're from a different era of the game, they were available at launch and at that time lock and promo boxes didn't exist and the C-Store only had alternate skins, not full ships. If those hero ships were released today I think they would probably be in a box as well. Again that's not an attack, in this post I'm not trying to say boxes are bad, that's just my honest opinion based on how the game has changed over time.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    When I mention Era, I'm not talking about Berman 90s or current... I'm talking in universe time periods. IMO the California Class is a product of the TNG era, alongside ships like the Galaxy and Intrepid. She wasn't a new design when we saw her in Lower Decks, she's been around a while in lore. And many of the design elements are similar to the Galaxy style of the 2360s. Hell the Deflector Dish is clearly based on the Galaxy class dish.
    I can see the Cali having been designed around the same time as ships like the New Orleans.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Am hoping for a C-Store release (edit: or event ship) somehow... if only because, being from California myself and seeing as how they seem to be naming them after even small cities (Cerritos, Solvang, etc.), I have a plethora of names I could rattle off without even thinking about it.
    I already called dibs on USS El Cajon.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    When I mention Era, I'm not talking about Berman 90s or current... I'm talking in universe time periods. IMO the California Class is a product of the TNG era, alongside ships like the Galaxy and Intrepid. She wasn't a new design when we saw her in Lower Decks, she's been around a while in lore. And many of the design elements are similar to the Galaxy style of the 2360s. Hell the Deflector Dish is clearly based on the Galaxy class dish.
    I can see the Cali having been designed around the same time as ships like the New Orleans.

"In universe" it's also a low level ship, so what does "in universe" really matter in this game? Answer: nothing :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    moe#1896 moe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2022
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > you won't be when you realize it'll be in a gambling box with a 0.1% drop rate.

I'm so new I don't even know what that means... yet.

(Off topic comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > you won't be when you realize it'll be in a gambling box with a 0.1% drop rate.

I'm so new I don't even know what that means... yet.

There are a few ways to get ships in this game:

A: direct purchases from the game store (the "main" way)

B: gamble packs with extremely low drop rates, which average cost of several hundred dollars.

C: special events that happen a few times of year which reward a free ship if you complete all of the required days.

In recent years, any ship that is remotely desirable from the shows is almost always put in the gamble packs, and the same will obviously be true of the California class. It's scummy, but it's the game we have.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Am hoping for a C-Store release (edit: or event ship) somehow... if only because, being from California myself and seeing as how they seem to be naming them after even small cities (Cerritos, Solvang, etc.), I have a plethora of names I could rattle off without even thinking about it.
    I already called dibs on USS El Cajon.

Okay, we seriously need to talk about that... or I might just have to show up in PVP with the USS Granite Hills.
    Fine, I can go with my backup plan, USS Chula Vista.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    felderburg wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/tzbkun/star_trek_mission_chicago_sto_panel_wrapup/
    The tutorial is revamped, and will now include Janeway providing voiceover and parts. They showed Captain Taggart getting assimilated like from First Contact.

I'm not sure I like that... he already lost his original name in the first tutorial revamp, and now his sacrificial death is being changed to being assimilated? I suppose it's technically closer to the first tutorial, when the bridge crew was "targeted" by the Borg, but why not just make a new captain?

I'm thinking it's leading towards revamping Borg Advance. With Borg Queen in Star Trek: Picard, we'll probably be seeing what the Borg are going to look like in STO going forward.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    (Off topic, flaming comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited April 2022

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

I'm thinking it's leading towards revamping Borg Advance. With Borg Queen in Star Trek: Picard, we'll probably be seeing what the Borg are going to look like in STO going forward.

yeah, they sort of for a time de-emphisised the borg. even the borg arc doesn't focus much on the borg right now. Ya know... a persistant theory has been v'gyr from TMP being connected to the borg somehow, maybe STO's going to go down this route and thus we'll see the borg somehow relevant to the current terran empire storyline?
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

We just don't know.

One can hope and traditionally Trek is themed on hope and not hyper aggressive negativity, hell in the end even DSC is more about hope and overcoming problems then negativity and doom and gloom.

Event ships tend to be the least powerful of T6 ships, with the best specialist rank is Lt. Cmdr., compared to Cmdr. ranked specialist rank that the others usually have, for example.

So it would be more suitable to be the Summer Event ship than a lockbox ship, esp. if it fits in with the low prestige status the California-Class has in Star Trek: Lower Deck.

Discovery's first season had the message of 'Hope' tacked on the end of the last episode of the first Season of the show because there was backlash from the darkity-dark grittiness that was most of that Season. Brining in the U.S.S. Enterprise was a major signal that positive change for the show was on the horizon.
  • Options

yeah, they sort of for a time de-emphisised the borg. even the borg arc doesn't focus much on the borg right now. Ya know... a persistant theory has been v'gyr from TMP being connected to the borg somehow, maybe STO's going to go down this route and thus we'll see the borg somehow relevant to the current terran empire storyline?

It could be that V'ger (shortened from Voyager, the original Earth probe was part of the Voyager series long rage probes sent by NASA, which included the Gold Disc containing audio recordings meant to show we are intelligent life to lifeforms outside our solar system :) ) sent the Ilia probe to Earth as an emissary to get help.

The cutscene with the Terran Empire EVA suited NPC who triggered a V'ger style matter to energy conversion attack on the planet may be a clue as to what happened to it.

The Borg may also be interested in assimilating V'ger as well.
  • Options
    There's a lot of theories bouncing around, from both novels and games.

In the William Shatner novel The Return, V'Ger was clearly Borg. Not connected, but legit Borg. And the reason Spock wasn't assimilated by the Borg was because they "sensed the presence of the Collective" within him already. Apparently a holdover from when he performed a mindmeld with V'Ger.

In the game Star Trek Legacy, they went the route of V'Ger CREATED the Borg after being repaired by the living machines that didn't understand its simple programming. And since V'Ger didn't find anyone like itself, and no knowledge of what The Creator was... it saw humanoid life as an infestation, and basically created the Borg to be an extention of itself to "Learn all that is Learnable", using said humanoid life as Drones to collect the knowledge.

And then there's the Destiny novels, where apparently it was the crew of the NX-02 Columbia that inadvertantly created the Borg after encountering a similar species that just wanted to be left alone. (I kinda feel like those novels weren't that popular hoenstly.)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    (Off topic, flaming comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I needed a good vent.

LOL, good for you. But seriously, it's going to be a gamble ship. Or let me put it another way: the chances of it NOT being a gamble ship are about the same chances as the drop rate from the gamble packs :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Also @moe#1896 , I am not 100% certain on this but I think you can post threads on this board with new accounts:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/the-academy

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.