test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please....ENOUGH with Discovery!

I get that some people like that show (not me though), and I understand that you have to promote it for CBS/Viacom.....
But many of us are paying lifetime subscribers. Been here since 2010. All I ask is that you lay off the Discovery stuff a bit and make the game more diverse. Personally, the Wrath of Khan era is virtually unexplored and I'd love to see more of it. But really ANYTHING other that Discovery. I can't be the other only with Discovery-Fatigue.

Comments

• captainjtietzcaptainjtietz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Especially when you can combine all the new Discovery ships to create a fully functional toilet.
  • naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Neither the newest mission or TFO were Discovery based. The game hasn't even really been Discovery based since like.... late 2019?
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I don't care for it either, but DSC has been the most prolific in terms of introducing new ships. It's only natural that the devs will draw from the deepest well. Perhaps the new season of Picard will actually do the work to add new ships instead of rather lazily reusing DSC assets and copy/pasting the handful of new ships its team did create.
  • bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    The ST-D show runners should contract STO to design ships for the TV show because their internal ship designs are awful.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    The game will focus on the Mirror Universe in the near future.

I'm not a big fan of that either, but it's not really a Discovery-centric game. A few months ago I would have agreed.
    Sure, they still mostly release Discovery ships, but that isn't really surprising since it has provided most new ships in recent times.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ships made by art designers... all form no function.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    T6 Nova is from Discovery? Lower Decks is Discovery?

I think you're focusing too much on ships you don't like and ignoring all the non-Discovery content.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Since I have been playing as much lately I've forgotten, can someone please remind me: If I opened up this Saturn class ship I know the ship is only for 1 toon but is the trait for only 1 toon too or is the trait for account? Thanks in advance, this will help me decide whether or not worth gambling for it.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    As a LTS since 2010/Open Beta I'd like to point out that I like the Discovery, and that I really dislike Wrath of Khan era and prefer they continue with the DISCO / Picard stuff.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Since I have been playing as much lately I've forgotten, can someone please remind me: If I opened up this Saturn class ship I know the ship is only for 1 toon but is the trait for only 1 toon too or is the trait for account? Thanks in advance, this will help me decide whether or not worth gambling for it.

Only that one captain gets the ship and trait, no other captains. There is also no way to "re-box" the ship to give to another captain.

That's true for all lock box, promotion, lobi, and Phoenix token ships*

* there was a console event that awarded a special account unlock of a Phoenix ship, but all tokens from Phoenix prize packs are per-captain
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I agree. Those 32nd century designs all look so generic and bland. And they can't be particularly popular. You barely ever see players fly them in game.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    I agree. Those 32nd century designs all look so generic and bland. And they can't be particularly popular. You barely ever see players fly them in game.
    The 32c ships I see most often are the Janeway and the Kirk, AKA the only two ships that actually look like they're from Star Trek
  • soldieralpha99soldieralpha99 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Sadly, like or it not, Wrath of Khan isn't relevant right now.

Like it or not DSC is current, relevant, and very likely attracting new blood to the game. New Star Trek fans who've been watching brand-new episodes and want to see/play the ships of the series they've been watching. Same applies to Picard and Lower Decks (although those series didn't introduce many new ships overall) and I fully expect the Protostar from 'Prodigy' to appear at some point. Again - the game needs to appeal to new fans with big fat wallets of the new series right now.

Fixed
  • hayasdanhayasdan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    I started watching Captain Archer Enterprise again this week and even almost 20 years old it blows Discovery right out of the water. That tongue-in-cheek bantering happy-go-lucky crew is so much more enjoyable than permanent drama totally emotional gendering-hammer Burnham and her menagerie...
    And the ships in there are trekky... Are there not some that could still come here? Like that alien ship in s1e3...
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    hayasdan wrote: »
    I started watching Captain Archer Enterprise again this week and even almost 20 years old it blows Discovery right out of the water. That tongue-in-cheek bantering happy-go-lucky crew is so much more enjoyable than permanent drama totally emotional gendering-hammer Burnham and her menagerie...
    And the ships in there are trekky... Are there not some that could still come here? Like that alien ship in s1e3...

What alien ship? S1e3 happened on the Enterprise, the surface of a planet, and in a cave. No other ships.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I get that some people like that show (not me though), and I understand that you have to promote it for CBS/Viacom.....
    But many of us are paying lifetime subscribers. Been here since 2010. All I ask is that you lay off the Discovery stuff a bit and make the game more diverse. Personally, the Wrath of Khan era is virtually unexplored and I'd love to see more of it. But really ANYTHING other that Discovery. I can't be the other only with Discovery-Fatigue.

Sadly, like or it not, Wrath of Khan isn't relevant right now.

Like it or not DSC is current, relevant, and very likely attracting new blood to the game. New Star Trek fans who've been watching brand-new episodes and want to see/play the ships of the series they've been watching. Same applies to Picard and Lower Decks (although those series didn't introduce many new ships overall) and I fully expect the Protostar from 'Prodigy' to appear at some point. Again - the game needs to appeal to new fans of the new series right now.
    I mean, hypothetically speaking, if STO had been around when Voyager was running don't you think they'd have been throwing ships from that series at us at every oportunity?

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see a little more variety too and I was delighted to see the T6 Nova and Saber class bundle but loathe as I am to admit it, as have said, the game does need to make itself relevant to fans of the new shows.

You really hit the nail here Reyan.

What some people though have missed is this notion that STO's developers are being forced or pushed into doing Discovey or all of these things from the various shows, just so that VIacomCBS can use the game as a promotion tool.

It's been said time and time again that while ViacomCBS did extend an opportunity for Cryptic to work with them on Discovery based stories, the devs themselves wanted to get all these things into the game, even if canonically they do not make sense, like the appearance of the 32nd century vessels (a time that time travel is not possible without being a crime).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    I must concur. It has been evident for some time now that Discovery's art team don't have a clue what they're doing.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

Only that one captain gets the ship and trait, no other captains. There is also no way to "re-box" the ship to give to another captain.

That's true for all lock box, promotion, lobi, and Phoenix token ships*

* there was a console event that awarded a special account unlock of a Phoenix ship, but all tokens from Phoenix prize packs are per-captain

Dang it, I thought that's how it was, but appreciate the clarity. This is the type of situation where if it was a Mudd then I'd be willing since then it unlocks account-wide but since it'd be so expensive gambling, even if I won 1, yet so restrictive heck no way. Again, thanks, davefenestrator.

• megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I take it you're not a fan of the flying toilet seat?
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Especially when you can combine all the new Discovery ships to create a fully functional toilet.

OR!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFht-_vqojA
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Hell I still like that one more.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    I can't be the other only with Discovery-Fatigue.
    I doubt you are. Am hoping Strange New Worlds airs as soon as possible. Not a huge fan of DSC so far.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    I can't be the other only with Discovery-Fatigue.
    I doubt you are. Am hoping Strange New Worlds airs as soon as possible. Not a huge fan of DSC so far.

That also would assume that Strange New Worlds isn't more of the same Kurtzmanized, Moonves-compliant stuff that DSC (and for the most part PIC) is, with a very thin veneer of quasi-TOS slapped on. Their track record is not exactly encouraging so far.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Can't do much more than remain hopeful.

The worse thing that could happen is I get to save $11/month by not subscribing to a streaming service.

That's 550K dil or 6.25 Colony fleet holding projects :smile:
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Not sure why folk would assume that strange new worlds or any other show will be on a different track to disco trek.

The franchise has been gutted and is not much more than a glorified edgar suit.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

They simply...have no life to them. There is no creativity, no vivid imagination, no challenges to make that leap.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    edited December 2021
    I don't know, for myself I've thought season 4 episodes so far have been pretty well, but then again I don't have any of the ships in STO ... yet thanks to the Eisenberg that will change in about a month.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Well I take your point. The problem with the Discovery ships is they outsourced the designs to a generic design company. Discovery has made huge mistakes. I listened to Robert Meyer Burnett read the original Brian Fuller script and even just the reading of the script filled me with a trek feeling!!!

The designs and ships were going to be a lot more authentic to original canon and the series would be dark but still very trek- the first two episodes of discovery still had that "feel" because the Shenzhou and crew were somewhat the original Fuller script and dialogue.

The ships in star trek are supposed to be characters in and of themselves. Discovery fails majorly here. I do like the Janeway class and the minty phasers. I could do without Postmodern uniforms that look like Communist costumes. The future starfleet doesn't look like the benevolent federation we know and Love.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    ships made by art designers... all form no function.

Except for the fact that toilets are all function and no form. The curves are on purpose.
This discussion has been closed.