test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Mirror Guardian

thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
The Mirror Guardian: The only job this ship should be doing is as a Garbage Scow.

Wait: What I meant to say is, the Guardian-class should be hauled away AS garbage!!

Yes, that's much better.

>:)
STAR TREK
lD8xc9e.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    The incompetent often blame their tools.

Just sayin', not talking about anyone in particular ;)

(Why yes, the Prime Universe Guardian is one of my favorite ship designs in the Delta Pack along with the Mat'Ha.)
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    So a release of the Mirror Guardian Cruiser is back in the news:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11499243

Looks like Dec 16th in the C-Store. Was the controversary ever given for the delay? I tend to remember players questioning something about the Mirror Guardian/Guardian requiring 5 &/or 1 Fleet Ship Module(s) to upgrade their respective ship to the Fleet Guardian. I might've missed it but I didn't read anything about that in the blog post. If that hasn't been addressed then wouldn't that be having to pay a premium of 5 FSMs to just upgrade this Mirror Guardian?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    The controversy is that no fleet version exists. You get the regular Guardian fleet version and then apply the mirror skin. If you don't own the regular Guardian then that does cost 5 fleet modules.
  • Options
    solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I see they still can't be bothered to proofread. Blog says it goes live in October. Sigh. Clearly they just re-posted the original blog from before they delayed the release; they updated the sale timing, but not the launch.

Come on, guys!
  • Options
    The controversy is that no fleet version exists. You get the regular Guardian fleet version and then apply the mirror skin. If you don't own the regular Guardian then that does cost 5 fleet modules.

So unless Cryptic inserts a fleet mirror guardian starship they're knowingly selling a ship that won't be able to "fully" be upgraded. That's a bit heinous.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

So unless Cryptic inserts a fleet mirror guardian starship they're knowingly selling a ship that won't be able to "fully" be upgraded. That's a bit heinous.

You get free fleet modules from reputations so you can get a fleet guardian for free then use it with the mirror skin. But yes, it will cost you 5 of those free modules instead of the usual 1.

This ship was previously only available from a charity event held years ago so that is better than "no you can never get this ship."
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    thetanine wrote: »
    The Mirror Guardian: The only job this ship should be doing is as a Garbage Scow.

Wait: What I meant to say is, the Guardian-class should be hauled away AS garbage!!

Yes, that's much better.

#haha #backfromhell #sad #zen #ugly

>:)

Having a good laugh at your selection of tags :smile:
  • Options
    starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    are fleet ships so much better than Zstore, lockbox and event ships to be worth all the trouble?
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    are fleet ships so much better than Zstore, lockbox and event ships to be worth all the trouble?

Fleet Ships have slightly more hull, slightly better shields and one extra console over their C-Store equivalent. Are they better then the base ship? Yeah. Are they a huge upgrade you should never do without? No.

All the reputation tracks give a free Fleet Ship Module at Tier 6, so if you're doing rep it's a free upgrade. They're also cheap enough in the C-Store or on the exchange. Fleet Ship Modules are pretty easy to acquire and really aren't any real trouble to obtain. If you don't currently have the reputations up to where you can get a free module.. no biggie.. just fly the standard C-Store variant until you do. The difference isn't huge, you won't be at any real disadvantage.

Personally, I have never liked the Fleet Ship system. I have always felt that if you pay $30USD for a ship, you should get it at it's best possible level full stop. The Fleet System isn't great in my opinion, I get what it was originally intended to do (promote the joining of fleets) but it's not a great system overall and should have been re-evaluated years ago in my opinion.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    westmetals wrote: »

To be fair... fleet ships aren't technically an upgrade, they are a different ship.

So in fact every ship that is sold in the zen store, which is not already fleet-quality, meets your description.

Regular Guardian gets the fleet ship module discount & both have same seating correct? This Mirror Guardian doesn't get any fleet ship discount & has different seating than the regular & the fleet correct? Fleet versions get, traditionally, another 10% hull & console correct?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    To each their own, I say.

Unless they gave her a unique trait, she's just a Command version of the normal Guardian, which had Intel seating. The main thing would be the mirror hull unlock for the entire Guardian family. Not quite as good as say the Command Assault Cruiser since that came with her own console and trait, but has the same BOff layout as the Intel Assault Cruiser but with Command instead of Intel.

And frankly the one extra console of a Fleet variant doesn't make it an absolute must have. A lot of people do just fine with normal T6, and I'm pretty sure that this ship will be able to take advantage of the T6X upgrade, so... I fail to see the purpose of ranting about no Fleet upgrade when you can basically MAKE it slightly better than standard Fleet Quality with a T6X upgrade if you really want that extra console slot.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

I agree.

You're missing my point.

Since the fleet ship is, technically, a separate ship from the non-fleet Zen store ship (considered separate for starship upgrades that are account-wide; also gives a separate admiralty card)... every ship that is sold in the zen store, which is not already fleet-quality, is a ship that they are knowingly selling that won't be able to "fully" be upgraded.

Thus your objecting to that, only in the case of the Mirror Guardian only, seems a bit... oddly specific.

Forgive me if I am not recalling correctly, but what other T6 ship that is sold in the C-Store with 10 consoles cannot be upgraded to Fleet Level? The Mirror Guardian is the only one I am aware of that meets this condition.

• Options

I agree.

You're missing my point.

Since the fleet ship is, technically, a separate ship from the non-fleet Zen store ship (considered separate for starship upgrades that are account-wide; also gives a separate admiralty card)... every ship that is sold in the zen store, which is not already fleet-quality, is a ship that they are knowingly selling that won't be able to "fully" be upgraded.

Thus your objecting to that, only in the case of the Mirror Guardian only, seems a bit... oddly specific.

Forgive me if I am not recalling correctly, but what other T6 ship that is sold in the C-Store with 10 consoles cannot be upgraded to Fleet Level? The Mirror Guardian is the only one I am aware of that meets this condition.

True, but what other (non-Legendary) Mirror ships are sold in the C-Store at all?

Also, you can get a Fleet Guardian with the mirror skin for 5 modules, it will just be Intel spec instead of Command.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Personally, I have never liked the Fleet Ship system. I have always felt that if you pay $30USD for a ship, you should get it at it's best possible level full stop. The Fleet System isn't great in my opinion, I get what it was originally intended to do (promote the joining of fleets) but it's not a great system overall and should have been re-evaluated years ago in my opinion.
    I agree 100%!

• Options
    I suppose glossing over the fact that Cryptic set a system up with FSMs & discounts has no bearings on the "upgrading" intended purpose to fleet ships then? There's a reason it's been stated if you buy the C-Store ship you only need 1 FSM instead of 5 for the fleet version.

the Guardian is the same as the Fleet Guardian but with the Fleet approximately 10% more hull & another console.

the Mirror doesn't have that ability albeit I think the only difference between the Guardian & the Mirror is the whole Intel & Command switched seating.

I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to add a Fleet Mirror version for any that preferred the Command seating.

Otherwise isn't this a pay ship price just for a skin, which isn't necessarily new, I suppose?
  • Options
    The simplest, quickest 'fix' to this is to bump the mirror guardian to fleet-level, which puts it on par with every other c-store ship that doesn't have a fleet counterpart (because they're already fleet-level).

Agreed, making the Mirror Guardian 'fleet level' right from the C-Store fixes the whole thing. It's simple and easy.. which is why Cryptic will never go for it. :lol:
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I couldn’t see anything in the blog, but I may have just not seen it… I am assuming that those of us who already own it (due to the BGCA giveaway some time ago) will get these upgrades? Or would it require a re-purchase?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    The simplest, quickest 'fix' to this is to bump the mirror guardian to fleet-level, which puts it on par with every other c-store ship that doesn't have a fleet counterpart (because they're already fleet-level).

Agreed, making the Mirror Guardian 'fleet level' right from the C-Store fixes the whole thing. It's simple and easy.. which is why Cryptic will never go for it. :lol:

That absolutely would be the easiest fix lol shamed to admit hadn't even thought of that.
  • Options
    I suppose glossing over the fact that Cryptic set a system up with FSMs & discounts has no bearings on the "upgrading" intended purpose to fleet ships then? There's a reason it's been stated if you buy the C-Store ship you only need 1 FSM instead of 5 for the fleet version.

the Guardian is the same as the Fleet Guardian but with the Fleet approximately 10% more hull & another console.

the Mirror doesn't have that ability albeit I think the only difference between the Guardian & the Mirror is the whole Intel & Command switched seating.

I'd think it wouldn't be that difficult to add a Fleet Mirror version for any that preferred the Command seating.

Otherwise isn't this a pay ship price just for a skin, which isn't necessarily new, I suppose?

My point, as @corinthalas rightly summarized, is that although yes there's a discount for purchase, etc...

the fleet ship is a different ship, not an upgrade...

evidence: separate admiralty cards, separate "Starship Upgrades", having to transfer over equipment, etc. It's not just 'click this button to convert the ship into a fleet version of itself'.

Given that... complaining that "they are selling a ship that can't be fully upgraded" sounds silly because, that is literally true for every zen store ship that isn't inherently fleet level, not JUST this one, so it raises the question: "why are you complaining about only this ship and not the dozens of others that your statement also applies to?".

call it "silly" all you want. I understand with a fleet ship it's a whole brand new ship, but it's also tied-into whatever version one is using FSMs to acquire since if you own the C-Store version it only costs 1 whereas if you don't own it costs 5.

your: "that is literally true for every zen store ship that isn't inherently fleet level, not JUST this one," is false. there's no route to a fleet version for this Mirror Guardian. other ships have a route to a fleet version unless the ship is already at that level/tier. i'm not complaining i'm stating a fact, deal with it.

this Mirror version is always going to be approximately 10% hull short & 1 console short of the regular Guardian. even with an X-upgrade. there's no parity. that's why i'm thinking of this Mirror as full ship price but just for a ship skin.

i think it would've been better just to release it as an upped version already at fleet level/tier as another mentioned (but then what about those that already have the charity Mirror?), simply introduce a fleet Mirror version, &/or this could've been a candidate for those Phoenix prize ships.
  • Options
    Given that... complaining that "they are selling a ship that can't be fully upgraded" sounds silly because, that is literally true for every zen store ship that isn't inherently fleet level, not JUST this one, so it raises the question: "why are you complaining about only this ship and not the dozens of others that your statement also applies to?".

With respect, you're splitting hairs here.

Mechanically, yes.. a C-Store ship and it's Fleet sibling are different ships. The C-Store version comes with the trait/console and the fleet version is a slightly upgraded version of that ship. But we all know that the way the system is designed is that you purchase the C-Store ship, you unlock the trait and then you move the equipment to the Fleet Version and dismiss the C-Store version. While nothing you said is wrong, the system functionally works as if the Fleet Ship was an upgrade, it doesn't transform the actual ship like a T6-X Token does, but it functionally works the same way.

Since every C-Store ship is either Fleet Level in the store, or has a Fleet equivalent available for 1FSM, the fact that the Mirror Guardian is literally the ONLY ship that doesn't conform to this established standard means the ship absolutely should have a note or a warning given to the customer before purchase. I can only speak for myself, but as a long time player, if I were to buy this ship, I would just naturally assume I could upgrade it to fleet. That assumption would be based on the fact that every single T6 ship has worked this way since the first T6 ship ever released (The Guardian.) There is no reason at all for me to think upon purchase that this ship functions differently then literally every other T6 in the Store.

Again, the best way for Cryptic to fix this is just make the Mirror Guardian Fleet level from the store, that renders this entire debate moot. Again though, I am not arguing any of your points about them being different ships, you are 100% correct, and the way the game handles it, they are 2 different ships, with unique admiralty cards, etc. But every other C-Store ship that doesn't have 11 consoles has a fleet 'upgrade' option.. except this one, and there is nothing to tell the customer before purchase.

Regardless of how the game mechanics work, the customer should have all the information before making a purchase. The customer should know that this ship cannot be used to acquire a Fleet Version.
  • Options
    haamre00haamre00 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    What's so special about the Mirror Guardian, that both Cryptic and the playerbase elevated it into such "special" territory? The console and trait seem "meh", and the ship stats are not that exceptional either. It actually looks like an outright copy of the one from the Delta Rising pack...
  • Options
    naabal421#0722 naabal421 Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    haamre00 wrote: »
    What's so special about the Mirror Guardian, that both Cryptic and the playerbase elevated it into such "special" territory? The console and trait seem "meh", and the ship stats are not that exceptional either. It actually looks like an outright copy of the one from the Delta Rising pack...
    It was only available for a very limited time as part of a charity thing, so no one has been able to get it since it ended. That alone makes it one of the rarest ships the game has ever made, and thus special.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    To be fair... technically... she is other than having Command seating instead of Intel.
    The Mirror Guardian was originally a reward for a charity drive, and when that event ended, the ability to get that ship ended too. Hasn't been available since.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.