test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Rank on Boffs

A lot of us are roleplaying as Admirals.
A lot of us are remaking their Boffs as toons.
A lot of us still have Captain rank boffs from the time lag spikes allowed this.
Can't you just enable that functionality? We are fleet admirals yet can't make anyone Captain. It would really help to just have those 4 pips on the Boffs. It's merely an aestethic thing. They don't need to have any additional powers for it. We our selfs don't either so it's just fine.

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    A lot of us still have Captain rank boffs from the time lag spikes allowed this.

I have no idea what this refers to. Are there really captain rank boff abilities in the game?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Getting captain ranks on boffs would be nice. Though, imo, there shouldn't come any new abilities with it. There's already too much power creep in the game and while this doesn't involve Boffs on the ground that much, the few instances where they are relevant (like the Dyson ground zone) they don't need to be more powerful.

Just add captain rank as a roleplay thing, in the form of pips for their uniforms and the character overview screen and so on.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    not gonna argue against it...

but i sport CPT rank on my toon...not FA or other admiral ranks.

Same here.

Even when my bio states that they become (vice) admiral, it also says that they will become that after having served as captains for many years. So they'll be admiral at some point in the future, when their ships will be taken over either by one of their officers or just transferred to either an unknown captain (leaving room to create new characters in the future that tie in with existing ones) or, on a rare occasion, to another one that I've already created.

Of course, keeping them active or captain for so long only works if you don't follow STO's timeline in your bio, but I haven't done that for years. ;)

• flintl0ck33flintl0ck33 Member Posts: 37 Arc User

I have no idea what this refers to. Are there really captain rank boff abilities in the game?

No additional abilities but in early game when promoting it was possible to promote a BOFF past Commander to Captain.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I don't know why people keep bringing up that US Navy nonsense as if it has any bearing on Star Trek - it does not; there was literally an Admiral in command of a starship at the Battle of Sector 001.

That whole thing of Admiral = desk job thing hasn't even been true for the entire existence of the rank.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Unless I'm mistaken, they never said that he was only in command of that starship. He was leading the entire fleet during that battle.

Hence why Picard took command of the entire fleet when that admiral was disabled and his ship destroyed.

And I say 'disabled' because the admiral survived the battle.
    As a side note.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hayes_(Male_Admiral)

edited October 2021
    A better example of an admiral leading a single ship would be William Ross and the Bellerophon.

But even there we only see Ross working behind a desk and not concerning himself with ship operations.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. In STO, we have admiral Tuvok in charge of Voyager. So admirals can be in charge of and most of the time using just a single ship, although they will most likely also have other duties that extend to giving other captains of other ships their orders. In Tuvok's case: leading the Alliance's efforts in the DQ.

And this may be the problem for STO: we don't get to command multiple ships at the same time. Unless you're a Jem-Hadar or play some very specific content like in the Voth and Undine battlezones.

Would still be a great feature if they ever did decide to release that, but it's been years since we heard anything about that.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    They could remove the non-canonical "Rear Admiral, Lower Half" rank and replace it with "Commodore" while they are at it pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gminfly#3704 gminfly Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I don't know why people keep bringing up that US Navy nonsense as if it has any bearing on Star Trek - it does not; there was literally an Admiral in command of a starship at the Battle of Sector 001.

That whole thing of Admiral = desk job thing hasn't even been true for the entire existence of the rank.​​

Is one Admiral serving a ship in the show really an argument against an entirely cosmetic change?
    You are called a fleet admiral at 65. We have fleets in the very same sense and we see lenty of admirals during the show filling exactly that executive function.

I'm sorry but I refuse your point.
    as a role play bit, sure. but lets understand that as FA and such, we would not be piloting a ship as a general rule. once you use that word admiral, you are a desk political jockey.

That would be total overkill, not bringing money and not something their 2 devs can work on. No what I am proposing is entirely cosmetic and should not even enable any new powers on your boffs.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Folks really want to appoint Captain rank to Boff that often act like this in combat?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orj5rNe5AEE
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Originally Star Trek was an odd case. It was based on a mix of Georgian/Victorian era sailing ship days and WWII battleship navy situations and practices projected forward into the future. In fact, in The Cage the rank system was simpler than it was in TOS, more like sailing warship crew ranks than modern ones.

One of the main concepts was that due to the ever increasing volume of space they were exploring that all the ships were on their own for long periods of time, and so the captains had far more responsibility than modern day ones who can just phone in to pass the buck up the line. That is not something that can be done when communications can take hours (or even a day or two if they are far enough away from a starbase or relay string) to get replies when the situation gives a shorter timeframe to make those decisions.

According to the insignia they had two types of commodore, the most often seen in TOS were the ones that commanded major fixed installations like starbases or operational areas (they wore the full starflower insignia, which denoted being assigned to an HQ), and the other type commanded squadrons and task groups (like commodore Decker, who wore the single-petal starflower insignia, which denoted a flagship command) though those formations were usually detached as single ships in peacetime for more coverage in exploration and antipiracy tasks.

The ones who commanded starbases could temporarily plant their flag on a ship and command it with the captain temporarily acting as first officer (the situation on the Lexington when Commodore Bob Wesley was running the M5 tests) or they could just take operational command and leave the captain to drive the ship, and the other type (like Decker) the situation would be much the same with the first officer holding the rank of captain but probably younger and being groomed for commanding a major capital ship like the Constitution class (a step that Kirk leapfrogged, which probably made him some enemies).

If they had not changed the uniforms, rank structure and insignia structure between TAS and the movies Kirk would have either worn the full starflower as a ground-based HQ admiral or possibly the single-petal version as a field admiral in TMP.
    edited October 2021
    Folks really want to appoint Captain rank to Boff that often act like this in combat?

While that was funny, the fact that some real players act like wet breadsticks on TFOs like "Khitomer in Stasis", "Brotherhood of the Sword" or the new Halloween one, tells me that my Boffs have a good shot at being President of the Federation.

But to answer your actual question on "want":
    Yes people wanted this for ages I've so farseen 4 recent posts on this, one in feedback that was quickly shut as "necroposting".
    God forbid you ask for something twice.
    One of the main concepts was that due to the ever increasing volume of space they were exploring that all the ships were on their own for long periods of time, and so the captains had far more responsibility than modern day ones who can just phone in to pass the buck up the line. That is not something that can be done when communications can take hours (or even a day or two if they are far enough away from a starbase or relay string) to get replies when the situation gives a shorter timeframe to make those decisions.

I always hated how inconsistent communication was. On the one hand they get these long distance subspace messages that can take days to arrive on the other you have this notion of "patch me through" instant communication especially with recent Picard and STO. I wonder if there is an in universe explanation for this.

According to the insignia they had two types of commodore, the most often seen in TOS were the ones that commanded major fixed installations like starbases or operational areas (they wore the full starflower insignia, which denoted being assigned to an HQ), and the other type commanded squadrons and task groups (like commodore Decker, who wore the single-petal starflower insignia, which denoted a flagship command) though those formations were usually detached as single ships in peacetime for more coverage in exploration and antipiracy tasks.

I miss the Commodore Rank, especially since I run an Admiral April stuck in 23c in the game

If they had not changed the uniforms, rank structure and insignia structure between TAS and the movies Kirk would have either worn the full starflower as a ground-based HQ admiral or possibly the single-petal version as a field admiral in TMP.

That scene in the Motion Picture of him just taking command from Decker was a real TRIBBLE move and it made me sadder for the fact we never got Phase II. Even if the Deltan would have been massively sexualised thanks to Roddenberrys "Ideas" like tri-boob Troi.
    That Uniform (while naval) was a mess to begin with though and I much preferred the followup Wrath of Khan uniform which (despite modifications to things like color and collar/undershirt) seems to have been such a hit that they stayed till the TNG era.

westmetals wrote: »
    That thread wasn't closed because they did not like the topic. There is a forum wide policy that threads are not to be restarted after a month of inactivity, it being felt that they may then contain info that is out of date (reports of bugs that have been fixed, info on events that have ended, etcetera.)

Good clarification, still kind of sad. Seems all of these posts go to the void.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Personally I like RPing the role of a competent Number 1, that way I can deal my Captain BOFF's wacky shenanigans like romancing aliens and avoiding child support like Kirk.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    None of the other arguments really matter. This right here is the main reason why it should be allowed going forward for everyone. In far too many situations, the STO team's approach seems to be "if you managed to exploit the bug before we patched it, you can enjoy the spoils" and that's a terrible message to send.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    While captain rank boffs would be nice aesthetically, I do not want to have to add even more skills to my already stuffed skill trays, and I abhor using the little boff skills UI element.
    Ancient Alien.
    aesica wrote: »
    None of the other arguments really matter. This right here is the main reason why it should be allowed going forward for everyone. In far too many situations, the STO team's approach seems to be "if you managed to exploit the bug before we patched it, you can enjoy the spoils" and that's a terrible message to send.

I absolutely agree!
    relicthief wrote: »
    While captain rank boffs would be nice aesthetically, I do not want to have to add even more skills to my already stuffed skill trays, and I abhor using the little boff skills UI element.

Yes that is the consensus here, purely cosmetic!
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    I'd love to promote my char's wife to rank of Captain even if its cosmetic. In LD Captain and Admiral are couple and even have daughter in starfleet. It would add to char immerison for those of us who like that sort of detailed char bios which I do.
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
    razartrek1 wrote: »
    I'd love to promote my char's wife to rank of Captain even if its cosmetic. In LD Captain and Admiral are couple and even have daughter in starfleet. It would add to char immerison for those of us who like that sort of detailed char bios which I do.

+1
This discussion has been closed.