test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dev said they dont want your ideas so dont post them

faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I guess it's "rude" because some people found some other people's email address? I think they will get past this fainting couch level breach of etiquette, become stronger, and have a brighter future!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,588 Arc User
    Well it is rude. Exactly what a writer wants... to be accused of plagiarism down the road, when some submitter of ideas believes they see a kernel of an idea they had in something.

How many times has Hollywood had to deal with lawsuits over exactly that. Someone claiming they sent a script to X or Y writer and 10 years later something they where involved in had a passing similarity. 99% of the time its BS... sending unsolicited scripts, ideas, character sheets or anything of the like is rude.

Just think of whatever you do for a living... imagine if people could send things to you without your permission that could potentially end your career. Perhaps they don't understand that... still it wouldn't change anything.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Eh, this isn't really a "dev" issue. Writers/tv show/movie/etc people have long said "don't send us story ideas", mostly because it leads to lots of arguments over ownership, who had the idea first, plagiarism, "give me credit/money", etc.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    It IS rude, because you are low-key implying that your TRIBBLE is better than the TRIBBLE of the person who is literally PAID to come up with stories and probably spent YEARS practicing to get there.

If you genuinely think your TRIBBLE IS better...apply for a writer's job and make it happen - don't send it in.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    And how do they prove that they didn't read the email? It's not like it comes with a postmark that has to be torn to get into the data. So, you send them your "great original" idea (that, if you were more familiar with the genre, you'd know has been executed seventeen times in SF, five in Trek alone), they ignore the email, then six months later they also have the idea and decide to implement it. You, certain they took the idea from your email and furious that you aren't getting so much as a credit on the story, complain within earshot of an ambulance chaser who thinks he hears dollar signs (pound signs in Britain, euro signs in the EU). Suddenly there's a lawsuit. Now, it clearly has no real basis, and would probably be defeated in the long run - but frankly, it's cheaper for PWE to tell Cryptic to scrap the story than it is to pay for attorneys and court costs. So the idea goes down the ol' roundfile.

Seriously, as JMS notes in the conversation this is abstracted from, there was one B5 story that had to be delayed for an entire year because someone insisted on sending them an email about this great idea they had. Only reason it wasn't redacted entirely was because the entire series was planned out in fair detail before the pilot was filmed, which apparently JMS is doing with his remake as well. So, when creatives ask you not to send them ideas for legal reasons, DON'T. And don't get your panties in a twist - it's not "rude", it's CYA.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Surprised ? Developers dont like to be told how to be creative, if you pay attention, everyone like his own ideas and abhorrence other's even in the comment section, no surprise then when devs hate the idea of someone telling them what to do.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I think it's important to note that they said STORY ideas.

As in, speaking in the context of STO, things like systems changes, etc. (like how to "fix" the dilithium situation) would not be included.

I can't help but wonder why it matters though. If someone has a brilliant idea for a system in the game that the devs use, how is that any less of a legal problem? Couldn't a person still say "that's my idea and you are making money because of it"?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I don't believe video game gameplay systems are covered under any form of copyright law...because if they were, Nintendo would've sued Zenimax months ago over the latter's inclusion of Antiquities system in ESO - which is very clearly ripped from Pokemon's Mining system introduced in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, which in itself was ripped from Minesweeper or Battleship, just with extra mechanics and fancier skins.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    dev posted this:

this is the post he was saying was "right" and agreeing with:

long story short the dev thinks its rude to post your ideas and they cant use them anyway so dont bother posting them.

Way to take out of context what tacofangs, JMS, and others were saying. He was talking about story ideas and then expanded on it in tweets shared by evilmark444. Always be careful to take things in context and not just sound or in this case tweet bites.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    So gameplay changes and balance suggestions are fair play. I understand that story,ship designs, etc, any thing that is very much art shouldn't be suggested to devs.
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    long story short the dev thinks its rude to post your ideas and they cant use them anyway so dont bother posting them.
    Context fail. Please revisit source.

S1J6m8B.jpg
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,588 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    And how do they prove that they didn't read the email? It's not like it comes with a postmark that has to be torn to get into the data.

You can determine whether or not an email has been read quite easily depending on the platform.

Have fun in court with your proof.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    And how do they prove that they didn't read the email? It's not like it comes with a postmark that has to be torn to get into the data.

You can determine whether or not an email has been read quite easily depending on the platform.

Yeah, no. Depending on the provider/system such logs aren't seen as 'conclusive proof' in a court of law; and with a jury, ANYTHING is possible. Better to deter people from sending you/posting anything unsolicited - and yes, unsolicited story suggestions to a writer IS rude.

What you see WRT the degree of online logging/and what they can do with it in TV and Film and a lot of literature is fantasy.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Thanks to the posters providing the full context for this.

It's common for writers, agents, TV shows to block or discard without reading all unsolicited story ideas.

I think it is rude to find someone's email address and send them unsolicited story ideas directly to bypass those blocks.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    OP is pulling something grossly out of context in an attempt to badmouth the devs, I see.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    OP is pulling something grossly out of context in an attempt to badmouth the devs, I see.​​

This is why I typical ignore headlines and focus on what it is said.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    husanakx wrote: »
    Have fun in court with your proof.

Emails are used in legal cases all the time.

Especially these days. After all, people can be hired or fired by email for example.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Hey folks,

I see Nick's clarification was already posted, but to clearly state again: we do want your feedback on the game, but if you send us a story idea, we can't read it for legal reasons. It's just too risky. Believe me, I wish I could.
This discussion has been closed.