test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Today's patch made Operation Wolf TOO hard.

chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
I had done it 4 times before, and it was challenging but doable. Today, even with all I had learned in previous runthroughs, it was brutally hard. Even using all my perks like Defiance and Medical Nanite Cloud, even deploying Crystals like mad, I still died over and over and over, perhaps 10-12 deaths in the course of the run, if not 15. I lost track.

I am an old grognard from way back. My toon is geared up to the nines. Now, maybe I just had a bad team, though I am loathe to blame them. But it seemed to me like Cryptic tweaked the scenario to massively increase the reinforcement rate. I was TRIBBLE-deep in alligators just non-stop.

I was within an RCH of bailing, but stubborn pride kept me going, and we got it done eventually.

So, my question is, ahh, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

I no longer believe this to be true. Please see my further comments below
Post edited by chastity1337 on

Comments

• Options
    discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I've only done it once and didn't find it particularly challenging. Only died once when I went Leroy Jenkins towards the hangar doors.

I pretty much just spammed by antiproton staff the whole time. Had the crystals but didn't use them or any of the other kits (I don't bother with ground so I don't know what most of them even do)
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    I liked it. Had no problem, my grounds are made for this sorta stuff. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    No change from prior to patch it seems. Maybe the rest of the team was a bit light so you were taking some extra aggro?
  • Options
    Have done Operation Wolf both pre and post patch multiple times on the same 3 characters and found it no different than before, difficulty included. Of the toons used one is without reputation gear while the others are fully kitted out.

When playing advanced space and ground TFO's and finding things a bit aggro-heavy it's usually either a bunch of traits that got spontaneously unslotted or possibly the amount of damage or healing you're doing is significantly above the rest of the team.

Also random luck sometimes if you're consistently in the wrong place at the right time :smile:
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    The difficulty will never be as it was before the reputation-system was introduced.

Running elite-STF's with MKXII-gear (possibly with the always-useless [Borg] modifiers) just to get the MACO/HG/OF sets and all the optionals.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    What kind of build are you running on the ground? Let us see your gear, kit modules, ground traits, and ground skill points. That's the first place to start. It's absolutely possible to draw threat from the rest of the team and to get jumped by half the instance at once if you're not careful. Certain foes are a pain for certain builds. What difficulty level were you playing on as well?

Not enough info from what you're describing vs what is known about the queue to make a definitive determination. So let's start with the potentially obvious and see what kind of build you're running.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    The difficulty will never be as it was before the reputation-system was introduced.

Running elite-STF's with MKXII-gear (possibly with the always-useless [Borg] modifiers) just to get the MACO/HG/OF sets and all the optionals.

Ahh, good times!
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Only done it on advanced - but as far as ground TFOs go - it's way easier than the old Borg ground TFOs (quicker too).

Probably a PEBKAC or character gear issue. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    yeah, i was going to say - patch made it too hard to get into the game. I may have to find a new method because it's starting to take 15-20 minutes to get in.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,522 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    If there are different difficulty levels of the TFO available this time it could explain the unevenness between runs if the event launcher is dropping people into advanced version randomly. And there definitely is a difference though it is not consistent.

In one run my AoY recruit tac with mk IV gear and both KIDD and DOT kit robots was running around the lower deck in the first part laying pavo crystals, shooting, and doing the odd orbital strike without much trouble and on that one we didn't loose any of the exobots. Same thing in the second part though I was running up and down the stairs quite a bit (and using the orbital strike only on Quinn). Third part was likewise normal and in the final score we did not loose any data and only had one exobot casualty.

In the next run (on my other account) I had a level 65 engineer who took middle deck in the first part. I was spamming kit powers as fast as possible (mostly chains of grethor) launched drones as fast as possible, was moving back and forth near the railing to the lower deck dropping chroniton mines and sending the Na'kuhl coyote mines off (and ended up with a forest of Borg turrets as a side effect) shooting when I had time, and they were still getting through because the Terran squads would come out of the turbolifts and an equal number would fade in out of thin air as they stepped out (no transporter effects). I rarely got the chance to even look back toward the lower deck there were so many coming in from that side.

The second part went about the same, heavy opposition and Quinn was there almost constantly instead of a pause between beam-ins like the first run.

I don't know what the ground troops were doing in the shuttlebay since I was too busy with the runabout to even glance at the turbolifts there. The runabout seemed to be firing faster than usual and I was having to roll between each shot or kit activation because of constantly being targeted by missiles and more than usual phaser fire lanes.

Final results of that one was almost a wash, while by some miracle we did not loose data we were 0/3 on both of the exobot survivals. That is not to say the run itself was bad, it was definitely a wild ride, but it was noticeably harder than the first run I did.

Getting into the TFO is more annoying that usual too, unlike most previous ones where the load would fail once in four or five, this event I get dumped to the login page almost every single time. And there is some glitchyness with the roll, almost feels like rubberbanding but not quite, but it ends up with an erratic roll hangfire.

• Options
    Only done it on advanced - but as far as ground TFOs go - it's way easier than the old Borg ground TFOs (quicker too).

Probably a PEBKAC or character gear issue. ;)

It's PEBCAK, problem exists between chair and keyboard. Dweeb.

I did it again today, had a much better team, and things went very smoothly. I only died once. That was when we finished the hack in Operations, and I sprinted for the Shuttle Bay. There was a whole mob of NPC's waiting at the bottom of the ramp as I turned left out of Operations.

So, well, whatever the problem was, apparently it was just that one playthrough.
  • Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    strange, with the powercreep spiraling out of control, everything seems like a faceroll to me
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    Anyone else having trouble with autofire not working? I'm beginning to wonder if it's a setting I have that's wrong/not registering properly, or if it's blocked from the TFO. I'm usually using the Remod weapons to knock out Endeavors, and having to constantly hit 1 to shoot instead of just tabbing between targets is a pain.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Having played through this a few times, I would offer some tips...
    • have at least one engineer on your team. There're two reasons for this: quantum mortar (especially if they have the doff that can add extras); and Quick Fix (to heal the exocomps);
    • KB3 is a very good mod to have, especially on a pulsewave (or Zef's shotgun) - why should the quantum mortars have all the fun knocking tangos off their feet?
    • there is no better 'hello (again)' present for Quinn than the stasis bubble. Yes, it offer a window for uncontested attack (what with his flailing about like a pinata and all), but that effect itself has a parting gift of its own in the form of a temporary resistance debuff. Note that if you have to choose between Quinn and a technician - especially if the latter has gotten to a console - the tech takes priority;
    • speaking of debuffs - if you're a science officer, don't forget about tricorder scans. Especially if you have the trait which boosts kit performance after use of captain abilities, because odds are you'd be following that up with electro-gravitic field and some nasty AoE ability;
    • also for sci officers - triage and medical tricorder (AoE and point heals, respectively) might not be as 'sexy' as, say, exothermic induction field, but that teammate getting hosed from multiple angles is going to appreciate the boon. Extra credit if you also bring along metaphasic rejuvenation.
  • Options
    Having played through this a few times, I would offer some tips...
    • have at least one engineer on your team. There're two reasons for this: quantum mortar (especially if they have the doff that can add extras); and Quick Fix (to heal the exocomps);
    • KB3 is a very good mod to have, especially on a pulsewave (or Zef's shotgun) - why should the quantum mortars have all the fun knocking tangos off their feet?
    • there is no better 'hello (again)' present for Quinn than the stasis bubble. Yes, it offer a window for uncontested attack (what with his flailing about like a pinata and all), but that effect itself has a parting gift of its own in the form of a temporary resistance debuff. Note that if you have to choose between Quinn and a technician - especially if the latter has gotten to a console - the tech takes priority;
    • speaking of debuffs - if you're a science officer, don't forget about tricorder scans. Especially if you have the trait which boosts kit performance after use of captain abilities, because odds are you'd be following that up with electro-gravitic field and some nasty AoE ability;
    • also for sci officers - triage and medical tricorder (AoE and point heals, respectively) might not be as 'sexy' as, say, exothermic induction field, but that teammate getting hosed from multiple angles is going to appreciate the boon. Extra credit if you also bring along metaphasic rejuvenation.

These are all good suggestions. So far, I have used my KDF Tac captain every time, and she's all about raw DPS; no subtlety - I leave that to my Sci and Engie captains. That works very well when she is supported by her away team, that she is designed to work with, but it can present problems in Operation Wolf.

So, what is Firewall like?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I recorded my latest runthrough. There's about 30 seconds of trash at the end. I apologize for that. Sarky comments on the subject, (and about how easy video editing is), will be cheerfully ignored.

This was a very smooth run. I had a good team.

https://youtu.be/P2Iu56ngsqQ

It's frustrating to watch this, and note all the things I did wrong, but educational.

I recorded a bunch of my runs in the Remain Klingon event, where you had the two dreadnoughts, the Targ and that other one, and you had to carry the Mcguffin from one to the other. I do believe watching those videos and noting my mistakes made me better at it in subsequent runs.
  • Options
    I recorded my latest runthrough. There's about 30 seconds of trash at the end. I apologize for that. Sarky comments on the subject, (and about how easy video editing is), will be cheerfully ignored.

Great video. What did you use for recording and editing? Good on ya for carrying so many large hypos as according to som e it's weird but really it's just being well prepared for a night out. What is that white mist coming off your toon?
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »

Great video. What did you use for recording and editing? Good on ya for carrying so many large hypos as according to som e it's weird but really it's just being well prepared for a night out. What is that white mist coming off your toon?

The minor white mist coming off her trim little body is the -
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Tactical_Kit_Module_-_Cryotronic_Modulation

The big cloud she creates at one point is -
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Trait:_Visual_Dampening_Field
    - from the Terran Task Force reputation. She has the Rank 2 version, which you get when you have the rep maxed.

I recorded the video with the Xbox thingie built into Windows 10. Press Win-G and select Captures from the resulting popup. This version is unedited, and there's a story behind that. I have Filmora, but I can't afford the $50 to register it, and the free version leaves a big ugly watermark. I tried editing this video with the editor built into Win 10, just using it to trim off the last 30 seconds. The resulting version, though 30 seconds shorter, was 1.3 gigabytes, versus 850K for the original unedited version. And that's Microsoft for you, in a nutshell.

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    1.3 GB sounds about right for raw, uncompressed footage - the recorder you mentioned may have some compression built into its recording software since it's designed for X-Box, and that editor may have removed it when the file was ran through it.

Just my uneducated guess - I don't ever do video recording/editing.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    since this no longer appears to be relevant per the OP I'm going to go ahead and close this for now.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.