test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hoping we get the Lower Decks uniforms tomorrow/this week! :)

stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
A few times previously Cryptic has released costumes to celebrate the premier of a movie or new season, so with tomorrow's premier of Lower Decks season 2 hopefully we will finally get the Lower Decks uniforms in game!

We did the best we could with the parts currently available, but it would be nice to be able to update those designs with the actual uniforms.

Oh, and how about that California class? ;)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    A few times previously Cryptic has released costumes to celebrate the premier of a movie or new season, so with tomorrow's premier of Lower Decks season 2 hopefully we will finally get the Lower Decks uniforms in game!

We did the best we could with the parts currently available, but it would be nice to be able to update those designs with the actual uniforms.

Oh, and how about that California class? ;)

The rumor is that CBS is still holding out for the California class to be "animated" style instead of STO's realistic style, something that really cannot be done in the engine.

Champions Online has an option to put black outlines to make things look a little more like a moving drawing from comics but it isn't quite the same thing and it is an all-or-nothing switch so there is no way to make one ship look a little more "animated" than others even if they implemented in in STO. That will probably also be a stumbling block with any ships from Prodigy.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    something that really cannot be done in the engine.
    It's not that the engine can't do it (I'm sure basic cel shading is possible), rather the issue is that Cryptic doesn't WANT cel shading since the rest of the game is realistic and they feel it wouldn't make sense (I say just explain it as a prank from Q and let us have fun).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... I'm no modeler or texture artist, but I can see a bit of a possible compromise. Model would be more realistic (Although frankly the design would probably be about the same either way) but give it access to a special hull material that makes it look cell shaded or something. That way players can choose to have it look more realistic or go with the brighter colors. I mean we have Vanity Shields that make a ship look like something from Tron. So in theory a Hull Material or Vanity Shield might actually be doable.

cerritos-top.jpg
    Honestly I think she'd translate over to realistic pretty well. We can kinda already kitbash a Light Cruiser into a similar configuration. Me, I'd probably use the Galaxy hull material if that was an option.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    They are very sleek looking uniforms. Great design. Not sold on cel shading but a "realistic" version would be hot.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited August 2021
    something that really cannot be done in the engine.
    It's not that the engine can't do it (I'm sure basic cel shading is possible), rather the issue is that Cryptic doesn't WANT cel shading since the rest of the game is realistic and they feel it wouldn't make sense (I say just explain it as a prank from Q and let us have fun).

While avoiding the silliness of looking like something from Roger Rabbit probably figures in too, the fact is that STO uses a modified Champions Online engine and the devs over there have stated numerous times that the engine is not capable of true cell shading without a major rewrite of it, and that the pseudo-cell black-outline method is a post processing thing that is all-or-nothing, either you turn it on for everything on that client or turn it off for everything, no mixing possible.

The closest they could come would be by using materials that use artistic illusion to play down the shading the engine gives models like Rattler2 suggests.
    avoiding the silliness of looking like something from Roger Rabbit
    I now have a strong desire to see Judge Doom dangling Boimler over a barrel of dip, and Mariner coming to his rescue
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Inspired by this post and from re-watching Lower Decks over the past few days, I decided to pick up the Clarke and here is the kitbash I am using:

https://imgur.com/a/94qTPRg

I actually think that hull material has a somewhat animated look :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Wow... not bad at all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    i am saying, if its a controversy to add it because cartoon, then make it non-cartoon and add it. same for the uniforms.
    There's issues with that too, CBS is being very protective about how LD stuff gets presented in a more realistic setting due to branding, that's why the LD doffs had their art changed VERY quickly after they were released. CBS apparently was not happy about that one.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited August 2021
    Also, as has been mentioned, Cryptic's engine *cannot* do cell shading. Cannot.
    Kael had the environment art team on his stream last night and they said they could do it, but it would be a lot of work getting the lighting to work properly with it, changing our characters to also look like that because they wouldn't want two different art styles at the same time, etc.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Personally, I love games with cel-shading visuals ever since I played The Windwaker.

Integrating something cel-shaded into a game with more grounded visuals however, might make it stick out like a sore thumb. Then again, this is a themepark-MMO. I don't see why they shouldn't add the Cerritos and have it look closer to the animated version.

Since the design itself is rather simple, it might even look better that way and not stick out as bad as like... a BOFF that looks like straight out of LD. The ship itself however, wouldn't break the artstyle of STO all that much IMHO.
    Honestly I don't think the ship looks cartoonish. A few tweaks to the design and she'd fit right in with STO.
    edited August 2021
    Kael had the environment art team on his stream last night and they said they could do it, but it would be a lot of work getting the lighting to work properly with it, changing our characters to also look like that because they wouldn't want two different art styles at the same time, etc.

Yeah, exactly. The engine, as it exists now, cannot do cell shading.

No, you misunderstand. The engine can absolutely DO cell shading. But because they didn't intend for STO to be cell shaded, it wouldn't look good/right. But it can absolutely DO it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Side note: I sometimes use the program Reshade with various games, including STO, and it has a few cell shading effects.

For those not familiar, Reshade is basically a filter (think instagram) that goes over the game. It can change all kinds of things like hue, sharpeness, tone, exposure, etc. You can also add film grain, play in black and white, or cell shading.

I might play around later and see how the ship I posted earlier would look when cell shaded :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

That is not what they said yesterday.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    Personally, I have zero sympathy for CBS on this one; the art style in Lower Decks is an abomination.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

Actually, it IS what they said in that livestream. What they said is they could create a whole new set of materials and lightings and whatnot that would look more cartoonish but it would take as much time and effort as making a new game so it is impossible to do in STO.

Some of the more modern engines allow you to essentially flip a switch to get a cell shading/flat cartoon effect, but Cryptic's engine does not have it and it would all have to be done by hand. Taking several years to do all that for one or two ships and some uniforms is not at all viable.
    Actually, it IS what they said in that livestream. What they said is they could create a whole new set of materials and lightings and whatnot that would look more cartoonish but it would take as much time and effort as making a new game so it is impossible to do in STO.

That is a completely different statement than saying the STO engine does not support cell shading. What you just said is that they don't want to spend time creating new materials/lighting to support a cartoonish effect. Absolutely not the same thing, at all.

Some of the more modern engines allow you to essentially flip a switch to get a cell shading/flat cartoon effect, but Cryptic's engine does not have it and it would all have to be done by hand. Taking several years to do all that for one or two ships and some uniforms is not at all viable.

Champions Online has this feature in it's settings. It's on by default, but you can turn it off and actually remove the cell shading. STO has the same engine, but the STO devs did not enable it because that is not the appearance they wanted their game to have. It absolutely can do it, but they have not designed their lighting system to support that appearance.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    But isn't the Champions setting all or nothing?
    Far as I know you can't just turn it off for one character while leaving all the NPCs on.
    So... what phoenix said most likely still stands. They'd have to figure out how to make that binary setting only work for one thing and not everything.

What they said is they could create a whole new set of materials and lightings and whatnot that would look more cartoonish
    Exactly, and what they did NOT say was that the engine is incapable of doing those things.
    but it would take as much time and effort as making a new game so it is impossible to do in STO.
    THIS statement that they made was in reference to a completely different question altogether, that question being "will you ever switch the game to unreal engine?" or something like that, which is obviously a preposterous idea that would never be possible for any game.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.