test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Screen

I am unable to get STO to launch without just having a black screen and having to close with task manger. Using WIN 10 home ED. I have forced verifified, reinstalled, and yes eveything (GPU too) has been reupdated and check. Funny thing is Neverwinter works shm. I am at a loss as to how to finx, thanks

Comments

• karhallarn1975karhallarn1975 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    you and me both. I think something changed in one of the recent patches that either STO or more likely Windows did that is causing issues with STO launching easily. Takes me 3 - 5 attempts to get it to launch successfully. Hope whatever it is gets fixed soon.
  • jst455jst455 Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    exact same thing
    new PC. Win 10...installed all updates...installed StarTrek Online..ran fine.
    something changed..today after launching ..black screen circle of death...taskmanager..program (gameclient) not responding.
    Neverwinter also launches and plays normally for me too.
    Actual Join Date: Feb 2009
  • aerpegasusaerpegasus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    jst455 wrote: »
    exact same thing
    something changed..today after launching ..black screen circle of death...taskmanager..program (gameclient) not responding.

That is excactly the same issue I have, new pc also
  • jst455jst455 Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    aerpegasus wrote: »
    exact same thing

still have nothing...tr
    exact same thing

***WORKAROUND***

Task Manager....Kill ARC
    Find the Star Trek Online Folder
    Launch directly from the Application.

Game loaded...in -game now.

never had an issue with ARC before this. but at least I can get back in.

Hope this helps

Actual Join Date: Feb 2009
  • aerpegasusaerpegasus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    exact same thing

still have nothing...tr
    exact same thing

***WORKAROUND***

Task Manager....Kill ARC

Hope this helps

This works for me as well, thanks for posting. Not a fix for sure but in game
  • cptmorgcptmorg Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I seem to be experiencing this as well now. Game worked OK yesterday evening. I re-installed using Steam insead of Arc. Not sure what else to try. All drivers updated.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I had the same problem yesterday trying to get into the game, I got the black screen of death and crashed to desktop, it also did not help there was a Windows Update in the background. I play through the Star Trek Online launcher not through Arc or Steam. Then, on the second try I got stuck at the Cryptic loading screen and got two error messages saying that Star Trek Online has stopped responding with two options to exit out of the game or to wait until the game responded, I just waited it out and did not exit out of the game. After that I got Account Ticket Authentication Failed once. I then at one point in a ground TFO called Cure Applied crashed to desktop with no warning, it just happened. Then tried to get through the launcher and it crashed. Then got through the Cryptic loading screen with those two error messages that I went through as before and got Account Ticket Authentication Failed for a second time. They desperately need to optimize the client to run smoothly in 64-bit and not as it currently is.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Had the same issue all day Thursday 9/16. I can get past ARC to the STO launcher. Following ENGAGE, black screen lockup. I will try again today. See if that makes any difference.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    exact same thing

still have nothing...tr
    exact same thing

***WORKAROUND***

Task Manager....Kill ARC

Hope this helps

I performed this workaround and it worked for today. Something is out of sync between the ARC then STO launcher at the point of connecting to the Account Server.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • harusame82harusame82 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I have the same issue here. Brand new high end PC that is virgin clean besides STO.
    Can´t get past the launcher.
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    same thing, with hourglass not even rotating, and cad does nothing. can't bring up task manager with it, nor close anything using alt/tab

also, immediate not responding on launcher, and on restarting rig, I got a fix disk, press any key to skip
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    on another restart decided to let chkdsk run and then forced verify STO from the laucher. sto ran normally
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire