test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans always getting the shaft.

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
It sucks that Romulans always get the shaft, they usually have their spotlight stolen by other races, they were originally meant to be the villains in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock but got switched for Klingons, The Romulans were originally to have filled the conspiratorial role that the Son'a play in Star Trek: Insurrection and in the original story of "Ensign Ro", it was the Romulans who were occupying Bajor, but Rick Berman felt the Romulans had been seen too much and, remembering "The Wounded", had the occupiers changed to the Cardassians, the Romulans people didn't deserve these Injustices.

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    It sucks that Romulans always get the shaft, they usually have their spotlight stolen by other races, they were originally meant to be the villains in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock but got switched for Klingons, The Romulans were originally to have filled the conspiratorial role that the Son'a play in Star Trek: Insurrection and in the original story of "Ensign Ro", it was the Romulans who were occupying Bajor, but Rick Berman felt the Romulans had been seen too much and, remembering "The Wounded", had the occupiers changed to the Cardassians, the Romulans people didn't deserve these Injustices.
    [citation needed]
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited June 2021
    I can kinda confirm a Romulan connection in ST3, because there's been talk circulating that Kruge's BoP was originally going to be a Romulan ship, hence calling it a Bird of Prey. As for Romulans in Insurrection... first I heard of that.
    According to an article on io9.com, [2] Harve Bennett's original outline for Star Trek III would have involved Romulans coming to Genesis instead of Klingons and them finding the world very rich in dilithium. The Romulans then begin to mine the planet until the miners begin being killed by a feral Spock, whose aging was still tied to the aging of the planet. At the same time, Vulcan, upon hearing of the Genesis Device, is so horrified to discover that the Federation created such a potential weapon they want to secede from the Federation. This would have sent Kirk to Vulcan, with the crew of the Enterprise, to face the angry Vulcans. In the article, Robert Meyer Burnett argues that this would have been a more serious, "perilous" and above all epic story than the actual produced and released film – and it would have featured a Romulan commander along the lines of the thoughtful antagonist from the original Romulan story, "Balance of Terror".

In an early draft of the script, the Klingon Bird-of-Prey was originally to be a stolen Romulan vessel (the red "feather design" of the wings' underside was designed with the original Romulan Bird-of-Prey in mind), but that detail was dropped from the final draft.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek_III:_The_Search_for_Spock
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    My source for this one is Memory Alpha,

The Romulans were originally to have filled the conspiratorial role that the Son'a play in Star Trek: Insurrection. According to writer Michael Piller in his unpublished reference book Fade In: From Idea to Final Draft, the idea of using the Romulans as major villains in the film was inspired by the fact that the species had been a long-standing enemy of the Federation but had never been featured in a Star Trek movie before. Additionally, Piller and Rick Berman imagined that the story might be set against the threat of a new outbreak of hostilities between the two governments. The Romulans went on to be written into the first version of the film's story. (AOL chat, 1998),
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Romulan#Return_to_films

This episode features the first appearance of the Bajorans, who went on to be a focal point of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. In the original story, it was the Romulans who were occupying Bajor, but Rick Berman felt the Romulans had been seen too much and, remembering "The Wounded", had the occupiers changed to the Cardassians. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Official Poster Magazine, issue 4) Even though this episode proved an inspiration on the creation of the DS9 TV series, it was written at a time before that series was envisioned. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Official Poster Magazine, issue 0),
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ensign_Ro_(episode)#Background_information

It might seem redundant but as you can see I copied and pasted these on to my original post but I added some minor changes.
    So, the original sources are an "unpublished" book (if not published, how can we know what was in it?), and a story in a fan magazine. (Memory Alpha merely repeated those, and really should have left them for Memory Beta, where the other non-canon stuff goes.)

I mean, for myself, if I wanted to complain about Romulans getting shafted I'd go with the fact that the Rihannsu novels aren't a canon depiction of Romulan society. (I also wanted the Klingons to be more like the clever, intelligent SOBs in Ford's The Final Reflection than the space biker Vikings we got from TNG, but such is life.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I mean, for myself, if I wanted to complain about Romulans getting shafted I'd go with the fact that the Rihannsu novels aren't a canon depiction of Romulan society. (I also wanted the Klingons to be more like the clever, intelligent SOBs in Ford's The Final Reflection than the space biker Vikings we got from TNG, but such is life.)

^

Wasn't Enterprise season 4 supposed to feature Rihannsu-derived Romulans?
    edited June 2021
    mneme0 wrote: »

^

Maybe, maybe not. Sadly, we'll never know, because they never got to write and film those episodes. (I mean, sure, somebody might have wanted to do that, but there are rights issues involved, and when lawyers get into it it's never simple. And then there's the writers' room to consider, and input from producers and studio, and...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Don't you 2 mean season 5 as Romulans barely show up in Season 4 of ENT (Season 3 was the Xindi arc), I'm not aware of any unfilmed season 4 RSE related episodes I'm pretty sure all of that was Season 5 material and what we got in season 4 was the build up.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited June 2021

^

Maybe, maybe not. Sadly, we'll never know, because they never got to write and film those episodes. (I mean, sure, somebody might have wanted to do that, but there are rights issues involved, and when lawyers get into it it's never simple. And then there's the writers' room to consider, and input from producers and studio, and...)

It is nothing that Hollywood doesn't deal with on a daily basis so it would not have been too much of a stretch. On the other hand, there is the possible stumbling block that both D.C. Fontana and Diane Duane left TNG is disgust in that highly toxic first year writers room so it is possible that neither of them would want to have anything to do with Berman and Paramount.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Don't you 2 mean season 5 as Romulans barely show up in Season 4 of ENT (Season 3 was the Xindi arc), I'm not aware of any unfilmed season 4 RSE related episodes I'm pretty sure all of that was Season 5 material and what we got in season 4 was the build up.

Yea... I think season 5 was going to be the Earth-Romulan War.
    It is nothing that Hollywood doesn't deal with on a daily basis so it would not have been too much of a stretch. On the other hand, there is the possible stumbling block that both D.C. Fontana and Diane Duane left TNG is disgust in that highly toxic first year writers room so it is possible that neither of them would want to have anything to do with Berman and Paramount.

Didn't Roddenberry's lawyer or someone connected to Roddenberry break into places to edit and add notes to scripts? I remember seeing a video on youtube about the Top Ten Star Trek Feuds, and one of them was basically EVERYONE vs this one guy in TNG. NO ONE liked him, cast or crew.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

^

I think Diane might have been okay with it - she seems flattered whenever I mention STO's tributes to the Rihannsu novels on Twitter. I just wish the show hadn't been strangled by CBS; it would have been cool to see them deal with the war. (Maybe we would have seen the Daedelus-class introduced - soft canon says they came into being during the war!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Yea... I think season 5 was going to be the Earth-Romulan War.
    >
    >
    > Didn't Roddenberry's lawyer or someone connected to Roddenberry break into places to edit and add notes to scripts? I remember seeing a video on youtube about the Top Ten Star Trek Feuds, and one of them was basically EVERYONE vs this one guy in TNG. NO ONE liked him, cast or crew.

The documentary “Chaos of the Bridge” talks about this. It’s about the first two-three years of TNG.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »

Yea... I think season 5 was going to be the Earth-Romulan War.

Didn't Roddenberry's lawyer or someone connected to Roddenberry break into places to edit and add notes to scripts? I remember seeing a video on youtube about the Top Ten Star Trek Feuds, and one of them was basically EVERYONE vs this one guy in TNG. NO ONE liked him, cast or crew.

Yes, that was Leonard Maizlish. He was the one who turned the writer's room into a cesspit of toxicity by twisting messages, claiming notes and rewrites that he did were from Roddenberry, spread nasty rumors, got people fired, and generally trolled as much as he could get away with.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    Yes, that was Leonard Maizlish. He was the one who turned the writer's room into a cesspit of toxicity by twisting messages, claiming notes and rewrites that he did were from Roddenberry, spread nasty rumors, got people fired, and generally trolled as much as he could get away with.

Wow he sounds like a TRIBBLE person, if I was in charge, I would had him fired after his first attempt, hmmm... fired wouldn't the correct term maybe set on fire and dropped out of a window would be better way to describe it, however I'm glad I'm not a CEO or a Prime Minister, I wouldn't know what I'd do with the bodies.
    I probably would have blacklisted the guy too so that he'd NEVER find a job again.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > I think Diane might have been okay with it - she seems flattered whenever I mention STO's tributes to the Rihannsu novels on Twitter. I just wish the show hadn't been strangled by CBS; it would have been cool to see them deal with the war. (Maybe we would have seen the Daedelus-class introduced - soft canon says they came into being during the war!)

Actually seeing Archer deal with the war while the Romulans are pushed between the older system and 'expediency' leading to the Tal Shiar, etc., implied in the later Duane books would've probably been pretty well done given the track record established in season 4, but hypotheticals for fiction can be pretty rosy.

Still would've liked to see it though.

Also - having recently been playing catchup, the Romulan adjustments on Measure of Morality are kind of hilarious, speaking of getting the shaft.

"Guest stars, please, this is the climax of my personal story-arc, I'm sort of familiar with what was going on".
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!