test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TFO - Remain Klingon

chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
Ahh, the frustration of having teammates that apparently cannot parse the simple logic of "when your ship has the little green circle, take it to the dreadnought with the big green circle". Match the color and the shape. A precocious 6-year old could figure it out. But no.

I just watched the same individual get the little green circle on his ship three times in a row, and just sort of stooge around, flying lazily in circles going pew pew pew. I tried to explain it to him each time, in short simple words, and he either wasn't watching chat or CBA to read it.

It's not like you even have to do the daily for the Deuterium Surplus anymore; you can craft it with Engineering R&D of level 2. Put a stack of those in a device slot, and you have Deuterium Burn to use when Evasive Maneuvers is on cooldown. You should always be able to squirt to the dreadnought in a matter of some 6-8 seconds max, and you have like 17 seconds.

Sigh.

(objectionable material point removed) - darkbladejk
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    When I was on last night someone in ESD zone chat said that they just that day figured out what to do in the TFO, he would get targeted and go into evasive trying to shake the lock before he realized that it was a transport-the-McGuffin mechanic, with the lock being that McGuffin.

If people are still confused halfway though the event it points to either poorly crafted instructions at the beginning of the TFO or possibly a language problem (though it could very well be both). The Witch could explain the mechanics a little better (maybe some visual aids might help), I was confused the first time or two myself until I saw what was going on first hand (and worked out that in order for the target lock to transfer reliably if you are going fast you have to actually bump into the green-ringed ship).
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Absolutely Cryptic does a very poor job of explaining. In fact, they don't explain it at all. But that's them, and I no longer expect anything from them. I have given up.

But from my fellow players I expect at least minimal brain function. The examples Somtaaw cites above are valid, but all of them are more difficult to figure out than simple matching of color and shape. Some are downright obscure.

Anyhow, I thank you both for your responses. It's nice to know my cri de coeur has at least been heard.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Here is the problem...

There is no fail condition on TFOs these days. If a player ignores the mechanics because they just want to shoot things, the only real consequence is that the TFO might take a little longer and some bonus marks might be lost. The offending player is very likely to either not notice the consequences, or not give a TRIBBLE about the consequences.

There is no real incentive to learn and follow the mechanics of TFOs.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    There's another thread on this forum about graphical glitches in the mission, so it's not all players fault.
    Also, the patch that the mission came with also made game engine changes. Until I figured out what settings to tweak, the game wouldn't render beam fire, most SFX or markers AT ALL. That makes pretty much any bit where you have to "fly here" an exercise in frustration. (I did both of the new episodes like that. I could tell where to go by looking at my minimap, but often when I'd get there, I'd be too high or too low, with no indication which. I'd just fly in circles until I hit the right altitude.)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Ahh, the frustration of having teammates that apparently cannot parse the simple logic of "when your ship has the little green circle, take it to the dreadnought with the big green circle". Match the color and the shape. A precocious 6-year old could figure it out. But no.

I just watched the same shortbus rider get the little green circle on his ship three times in a row, and just sort of stooge around, flying lazily in circles going pew pew pew. I tried to explain it to him each time, in short simple words, and he either wasn't watching chat or CBA to read it.
    Very often its not the players fault but poor design or bugs in the TFO. What do you do when both circles are red and the arrow on your own ship is pointing away from both dreadnoughts? Or any of the other bugs that can happen. That's hardly the players fault.

• zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    belive me when i say im not the brightest spark. but i figered it out on the 1st run. really p%**es me off when people dont help out on these maps.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
    edited June 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIu2HV7mFDM

This is just a simple video of one runthrough of the TFO "Remain Klingon". The point is not to show off what I'm doing; in truth I'm more or less loafing through. The point is to show just how much visual spam, or "pixel vomit", players have to try to see past in order to see the important visual cues.

You will probably be better able to see what's going on if you watch it on YouTube in Fullscreen mode
    https://youtu.be/CdCWQXE6NJI

This is two short clips from two separate runs edited together; total run time is only 1:07

Each clip shows an actual overshoot, in which I brought the little green circle to the big one, and it didn't stick. I had to go around again. You will see in the first one, right after the video begins, that my view of the Targ(et) is completely obscured by the big purple cloud.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    https://youtu.be/CdCWQXE6NJI

This is two short clips from two separate runs edited together; total run time is only 1:07

Each clip shows an actual overshoot, in which I brought the little green circle to the big one, and it didn't stick. I had to go around again. You will see in the first one, right after the video begins, that my view of the Targ(et) is completely obscured by the big purple cloud.

It is probably the same lag that keeps buttons from working at times. If you are going too fast you need to actually bump into the dred to slow down suddenly and transfer the target lock to it. If you miss you have to turn around like you do in the video and hope you can get back into position in time.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Or like happened to me the other day, have the indicator dropped outside the zone and watch your perfect run go bye-bye.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    You see some really stumped people when you run this non stop on days you wanna grind marks up. I cant believe some people are able to spell their passwords to log on. The TFO is easy, as in a leper monkey could figure it out and complete it. The only issue ive had is the target not sticking in the circle when you fly through, but thats a once in 10 runs type thing. So easy to see this TFO if you keep moving and pay attention to the pings. "But im listening to music!!" So do I .. but Im still not failing it. Try moar harder lol
    edited June 2021
    mysonne1 wrote: »
    You see some really stumped people when you run this non stop on days you wanna grind marks up. I cant believe some people are able to spell their passwords to log on. The TFO is easy, as in a leper monkey could figure it out and complete it. The only issue ive had is the target not sticking in the circle when you fly through, but thats a once in 10 runs type thing. So easy to see this TFO if you keep moving and pay attention to the pings. "But im listening to music!!" So do I .. but Im still not failing it. Try moar harder lol
    How many times does it have to be pointed out that there are some major bugs that are effecting some players more then others and its not all people being stumped and stupid. Its not so easy a leper monkey can just keep moving and pay attention to pings. Perhaps you could try moar harder to understand the bugs some of us are facing instead of blaming us and calling us more stupid then monkeys.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Are you new to STO @mysonne1 ?

The problems you describe are like a decade old.

As DPSer it’s sooooo easy to understand your position lol but the only one who can find a solution for your problem is you.

Nothing that you will discuss here will have any impact on your daily in game experience ever.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Hello, Peter
    (exasperated sigh)
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    When I was on last night someone in ESD zone chat said that they just that day figured out what to do in the TFO, he would get targeted and go into evasive trying to shake the lock before he realized that it was a transport-the-McGuffin mechanic, with the lock being that McGuffin.

If people are still confused halfway though the event it points to either poorly crafted instructions at the beginning of the TFO or possibly a language problem (though it could very well be both). The Witch could explain the mechanics a little better (maybe some visual aids might help), I was confused the first time or two myself until I saw what was going on first hand (and worked out that in order for the target lock to transfer reliably if you are going fast you have to actually bump into the green-ringed ship).

martok and adept'a tell you what to do during the TFO mission. i'm dumber than a post. I had know idea what i was doing and by the end of my 1st go. i was dropping off triggers. people need to listen to the intructions in the game play.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    zzzspina01 wrote: »

martok and adept'a tell you what to do during the TFO mission. i'm dumber than a post. I had know idea what i was doing and by the end of my 1st go. i was dropping off triggers. people need to listen to the intructions in the game play.

So...tell me how you do that when BOTH ships are red circles with the arrow pointing at neither again? Or if your screen has so much visual vomit that you can't even see your ship to know that you are the one targeted until you have 3 seconds left? You know what I do on runs with 3 science ships in it? I sit at one of the ships and fire away...because I ain't gonna see TRIBBLE for that entire map and at least that way, I might get targeted and be at the right ship when that happens.

I strongly agree with first part of your comment. The pixel vomit is awful, and I've posted multiple videos illustrating that.

But the last part, " I sit at one of the ships and fire away...because I ain't gonna see TRIBBLE for that entire map and at least that way, I might get targeted and be at the right ship when that happens."

Sadly, I think that's not going to happen. If you are targeted while near the Kristak, your destination will be the Targ, and vice versa. When I am trying to get targeted, I will circle close to one dreadnought or another.

In several of my videos you can see that sometimes when I am near one dreadnought and I get targeted, I can't even see the other one, and I personally don't ever seem to get that directional arrow some people mention. Sometimes it helps if I zoom upwards, and get above the plane of action. I have also learned that using a small, nimble ship helps, and equipping the engine from the Competitive reputation is a big help; that engine gives a short boost to speed and turn rate when you activate a Tactical BOFF power. So I have Evasive Maneuvers, Dilithium Burn from the Surplus Dilithium item, and the boosts from Torpedo and Beam powers. That gives me 4 potential boosts to speed and turn to help me get where I need to go. I feel sorry for people in the big, clumsy ships that turn slowly. I can see them trying their best and still failing sometimes.
    zzzspina01 wrote: »

I have shown screenshots where those instructions are missing and the triggers are missing. Its not all the players fault.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I just watched the same shortbus rider get the little green circle on his ship three times in a row, and just sort of stooge around, flying lazily in circles going pew pew pew. I tried to explain it to him each time, in short simple words, and he either wasn't watching chat or CBA to read it.

It's not like you even have to do the daily for the Deuterium Surplus anymore; you can craft it with Engineering R&D of level 2. Put a stack of those in a device slot, and you have Deuterium Burn to use when Evasive Maneuvers is on cooldown. You should always be able to squirt to the dreadnought in a matter of some 6-8 seconds max, and you have like 17 seconds.

I haven't been doing this TFO (honestly, I almost never do them outside particular events), but just had a couple thoughts.

- I have my chat window closed nearly 24/7. Event TFOs are usually the simpler ones, so it's not needed, but... yeah.
    (and when I do open my chat window, it doesn't take more than 5m to remind me why I closed it)

- The two threads about this TFO are the first time I recall ever hearing about this Deuterium Surplus thing. And I've been playing on and off since 2012. It may just be that I've basically never used consumable devices, so I don't pay attention to sources of them. I also don't play advanced or elite anything, so I don't think I've ever needed them. (I think the only devices I've ever installed are the 'summon friends' ones or the temporal negotiator.)

- thinking about it, I've also never really adjusted a ship build for a particular activity. When I switch to a new ship on a character, I'll put together it's build, and that's it until I either get some Cool New Gear that fits what's there, or switch to a new ship. Which might be months. My KDF Recruit was the first time for me switching energy types for a damage Endeavor - usually, I just pick a different character whose ship theme is the required energy type, since I have alts running every type.

Just pointing out that some things you may take for granted that people have, know, and/or do... there's a good chance they aren't.
    (my boffs, I picked by race & gender, for Space Barbie. No idea what their passive buffs are. My space/ground active doffs were frequently shoved into their slots because I had to loot more doffs & my roster was full. Etc. I understand from reading the forums that these concepts exist. But I don't care enough to spend the time working on it. Yeah, I suck. It's enough for the content I play. /shrug)

...that said, I'd never afk a TFO, or just hang out ignoring tasks. I may not have a great build, or care to make one, but I definitely try to contribute. (part of why I avoid most TFOs - since I've never done them, I don't know what all you're supposed to do. Which means I don't know how to contribute. So I don't do them, so as not to drag the team down. Luckily, as I said, the TFOs in events that I've done tend to be the more straightforward ones. Or I skip those events. This year's meta-event is the first one that's really motivated me to do anything outside Summer/Winter/Anniversary.)
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    shortbus rider

Having relied on that mode of transport to get to school, bite me.

Oh, and before you make any smartaleck remarks on that, I only futzed it up once. The first time. On the first day. So nyeh, you snob.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
    edited June 2021
    coldnapalm wrote: »

...when the map is a big old ball of flashing pixel vomit.

So, in other words, pretty much every time? :)

I swear this TFO is the worst I have ever seen, in terms of overwhelming visual spam.

In the movie Ready Player One, the corporate bungstain antagonist is telling his board of directors how he's going to sell massive advertising once he gets control of the Oasis. He says something like, "studies show we can cover up to 80% of the screen with advertising before the player goes into convulsions". And I feel like this TFO is a step in that direction. How is it possible that nobody has had an attack of grand mal epilepsy yet?

This is starting to get really annoying. It's been three weeks now, and some people are still not paying attention. I had one yesterday that totally ignored all my polite messages, both during the TFO and after, just derping around the Kristak. And the really infuriating part is that the game kept giving him the green circle over and over, even when I was closer.
This discussion has been closed.