test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Business Transactions

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
How do Ferengi and Orions conduct business with each other, while both races have an eye for making money, their societies are on opposite ends of gender role spectrum, while Ferenginar made some changes so females can wear clothes and be equal partners, Ferengi businesses is still mostly dominated by males and some male Ferengi cling to their old ways like claiming that Females don't have the lobes for business, while Orions on the other hand have Matriarchal society that treats males like dirt and isn't afraid to use sex appeal to get what they want, I wonder how do they trade goods with each other if both races have a somewhat lower opinion of each other's opposite sex.
Tagged:

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    They probably don't - working through intermediaries is what they likely do.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Hard to say, but some Ferengi seem to get impulsively excited and fascinated by the females of other societies for just wearing clothes, so maybe they've just learned to accept the differences of others. No way they'll always let prejudices get in the way of profit.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    How do Ferengi and Orions conduct business with each other, while both races have an eye for making money, their societies are on opposite ends of gender role spectrum, while Ferenginar made some changes so females can wear clothes and be equal partners, Ferengi businesses is still mostly dominated by males and some male Ferengi cling to their old ways like claiming that Females don't have the lobes for business, while Orions on the other hand have Matriarchal society that treats males like dirt and isn't afraid to use sex appeal to get what they want, I wonder how do they trade goods with each other if both races have a somewhat lower opinion of each other's opposite sex.

The Ferengi in DS9 don't appear to overall have a problem with other civilizations practicing different gender roles, barring one early episode with Nog (who was like fifteen at the time and, like most fifteen-year-olds, was an idiot). Quark tries to con Sakonna in "The Maquis, Part I" and is a serial sexual harasser, but by his own admission he tries to con everybody.

I seriously doubt the Orions would have any more problems dealing with the Ferengi: the Klingons' treatment of women in canon isn't much better but the Orions have been their allies in STO-canon since launch.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    With money and prejudice, its usually one or the other. I'm sure there are Ferengi and Orions who won't deal with each other, but there are also many who see profit and don't care about such differences, just like humans.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The Ferengi were only prejudiced against Ferengi females doing business. They had no problem with other species females doing business. All they care about is your money, and how much of it you have. Wave enough in their face and they won't care what you look like.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • queenfred#4233 queenfred Member Posts: 5 New User
    I don't know where the idea that Orions are matriarchal comes from. In episodes, the Orion females are as submissive as Oods and the males are fanatical warriors. Who decided to flip it and why do you think the flipped version is canon?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I don't know where the idea that Orions are matriarchal comes from. In episodes, the Orion females are as submissive as Oods and the males are fanatical warriors. Who decided to flip it and why do you think the flipped version is canon?

An episode of Enterprise revealed that the "submissive" nature of the females was all a ruse. The females were actually the ones pulling the strings with the males playing the part of the supposed masters in order to gain the upper hand. In said episode, a male Orion "gifted" the NX-01 with three slave girls. As it turns out, that was a plot to take over Enterprise, as the females could basically seduce the males and take over.
    Later that year, the Enterprise crew learned that at least some Orion women were capable of emitting highly potent pheromones that could impact the physiology of other species. In heterosexual males of many species, including Humans, the pheromones accelerated metabolisms, raising adrenaline production to dangerous levels. This could cause aggression and, after cumulative exposure, levels of delusion and suggestibility. Three Orion sisters, Navaar, D'Nesh, and Maras, had been presented to Captain Archer by an Orion man named Harrad-Sar as a supposed "gift" as part of a plot to use their pheromones to manipulate the Enterprise command crew. They were thwarted by Commanders T'Pol and Tucker. (ENT: "Bound")

Harrad-Sar claimed that in Orion society, men were slaves to women as a result of these pheromones. (ENT: "Bound") Female members of the Orion Syndicate sometimes posed as enslaved persons in order to use their pheromones to manipulate or even control hapless would-be male slavers from other species. As a means of perpetuating this deception, female leaders of the Syndicate would sometimes allow themselves to be "sold" on Orion slave markets. As a result, at least some apparent victims of enslavement were known to actually be slavers themselves. (ENT: "Borderland", "Bound")

The effects of Orion pheromones were not universal. Human females reacted negatively to those same pheromones, experiencing headaches, while Denobulan males found their sleep cycles interrupted by them. Vulcans were immune to effects of the pheromones; this immunity could be shared by those who experienced a telepathic mating bond with a Vulcan. In 2154, Dr. Phlox of Enterprise hypothesized that the pheromone acted as a defense mechanism against competition. (ENT: "Bound")

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Orion_slave_girl
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

An episode of Enterprise revealed that the "submissive" nature of the females was all a ruse. The females were actually the ones pulling the strings with the males playing the part of the supposed masters in order to gain the upper hand. In said episode, a male Orion "gifted" the NX-01 with three slave girls. As it turns out, that was a plot to take over Enterprise, as the females could basically seduce the males and take over.
    Later that year, the Enterprise crew learned that at least some Orion women were capable of emitting highly potent pheromones that could impact the physiology of other species. In heterosexual males of many species, including Humans, the pheromones accelerated metabolisms, raising adrenaline production to dangerous levels. This could cause aggression and, after cumulative exposure, levels of delusion and suggestibility. Three Orion sisters, Navaar, D'Nesh, and Maras, had been presented to Captain Archer by an Orion man named Harrad-Sar as a supposed "gift" as part of a plot to use their pheromones to manipulate the Enterprise command crew. They were thwarted by Commanders T'Pol and Tucker. (ENT: "Bound")

Harrad-Sar claimed that in Orion society, men were slaves to women as a result of these pheromones. (ENT: "Bound") Female members of the Orion Syndicate sometimes posed as enslaved persons in order to use their pheromones to manipulate or even control hapless would-be male slavers from other species. As a means of perpetuating this deception, female leaders of the Syndicate would sometimes allow themselves to be "sold" on Orion slave markets. As a result, at least some apparent victims of enslavement were known to actually be slavers themselves. (ENT: "Borderland", "Bound")

The effects of Orion pheromones were not universal. Human females reacted negatively to those same pheromones, experiencing headaches, while Denobulan males found their sleep cycles interrupted by them. Vulcans were immune to effects of the pheromones; this immunity could be shared by those who experienced a telepathic mating bond with a Vulcan. In 2154, Dr. Phlox of Enterprise hypothesized that the pheromone acted as a defense mechanism against competition. (ENT: "Bound")

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Orion_slave_girl

so half the Voyager crew would be immune to effects of Orion pheromones.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Ferengi were only prejudiced against Ferengi females doing business. They had no problem with other species females doing business. All they care about is your money, and how much of it you have. Wave enough in their face and they won't care what you look like.
    Reminds me of the Deveel merchant in Robert Asprin's "Another Fine Myth", when Aahz points out that the villain Isstvan is utterly insane:

"If we only did business with sane beings, our business would be cut by a third! At LEAST!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png