test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Audio popping bug

tfrtron21tfrtron21 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
After going through the support desk for Arc, I have been told to create a post here in the forums in order to raise the issue to the proper channels, and give a spot for others to voice their situations as well, if any.

To quote my initial help-desk report:
This has started happening to me recently, and it is legitimately painful when it starts up. In a number of interior locations (Romulan Flotilla for example), a loud popping sound cracks through all the other audio. This sound persists even when STO is out of focus (as I have that setting turned on where audio is deafened when the program is not focused on). I know that it is part of STO as I recognize the ambient echo properties of the Romulan Flotilla, and the popping has stopped now that I am on the character select screen. I don't know what causes this issue, but I can provide a dxdiag report for my computer if needed for documenting my hardware in relation to this bug.

I was tasked with resetting my audio settings to default to see if that resolved the issue, but it didn't. So in my next correspondence, I reported back what happened, and provided them with the aforementioned dxdiag report.
I did the audio reset and returned to the flotilla in order to make absolutely sure that it worked. As I'm typing right now, the popping is ongoing. It's not constant, but there is a very distinct pattern to it. And I did find out that it's specifically happening when in Ship Logistics of the Romulan Floatilla. Whatever sound is in there is consistent with other locations as well I think, and that's why there is the popping noise. Currently, the program is in the background and all other sounds are being suppressed, but I still hear the popping. As requested, I'll be including a dxdiag log with this update. I hope this new info will help narrow things down for you guys as I know this has been a persistent bug for a long time. Thank you also for getting back to me so quickly and offering a set of steps to try and resolve the issue.

I also took a moment to record the audio bug with GeForce Experience so that an actual instance of the problem can be heard. I have since moved across the hall into Ground Logistics and the popping has stopped, even with the program in the background. YouTube link to video showing the bug in action

This is the point I was told that the ticket had been escalated, and advised to start a topic in the bug report forums, so here I am. If a copy of the dxdiag I provided would help at all, I can set it up in my Google Drive. Hopefully this information can help with testing the bug out across different computers and players, etc and eventually lead to a solution. I will add finally that this is not a new problem. I've suffered through this over 3 separate machines for a good 5 years, off and on. It was just painful enough this time that I finally decided to try and report it.
Post edited by rattler2 on
Tagged:

Comments

• tfrtron21tfrtron21 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    As an update, I'm currently going through the mission "Frozen", on the stage "Obisek's Gambit". While in the area where you need to repair the mining drill, I'm hearing the popping sound again. It's going on no matter if the game is in the foreground or background.
  • acker#7170 acker Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    :# I hear the popping sound too. Very annoying. Options-Audio, slide Ambient volume to zero until it's fixed.
  • acker#7170 acker Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Turning off spatial effects on my audio drives seems to help
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,995 Arc User
    This isn't a gameplay bug but rather a GRAPHICAL AND SOUND ISSUES bug
    Gameplay bugs are for more issues for instance not being able to warp out or initiate warp etc

@rattler2 @darkbladejk can you please relocate
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Moved to the proper section for audio issues.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • xant36xant36 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    i dont know if this is your problem.
    i read this german article about sound problem after latest windows patches in some programms and games.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Windows-10-Software-259581/News/Neue-Updates-Stoergeraeusche-1372143/
  • neoallerkaneoallerka Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I get this to a limited extent too. It's intermittent, but very noticeable, popping sounds randomly coming out of my rear speakers, pretty much since I upgrade to a full 5.1 system. Nothing else on my system causes it, so it's definitely an issue with STO. Seems to happen the most on Azure Rescue lately, but that's probably because that's the map I spend the most time on during a session.
  • tfrtron21tfrtron21 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    @rattler2 Thanks for moving this to the correct place. Arc Support pointed me at the bug report forums, so that's why I posted it there initially.

To add another location to the growing list: during the mission "Where Angels Fear to Tread" when you beam aboard the I.R.W. Areinnye, the popping sound is present for the duration of that segment. Nothing before beaming aboard, or after beaming out.

@acker#7170 I'll take a look and see if it fixes for me as well. Thanks for the tip!